New Wings for A Gem - Cover

New Wings for A Gem

Copyright© 2006 by mischievious she puck

Chapter 2: Hospitality

Ebony circled like a vulture on his decent, landing with a faint thud at the edge of the woods. The land was cast into a dim shadow and all matter of life in the wood was scurrying about. Cole stood beside Ebony as Athros dismounted. Placing a hand on the large feathery neck of the griffin Cole looked into his big green eyes and spoke gently.

"You know that you would need to look a bit more inconspicuous than a huge griffin. Besides I don't think that you'd fit through the doorway let alone into the house at all."

Ebony closed his large eyes and nodded slightly in understanding. Cole took Athros by the arm and pulled him back careful not to make him trip as Ebony lifted his wings high overhead. Athros' jaw dropped when a green ball of electricity engulfed the large griffin. The shape soon became quite small on the ground. Then the ball seemed to melt into the ground leaving a large pile of black fur at their feet.

"Is that magic?" Athros asked in amazement. Cole looked at the magi then back down at Ebony.

"Stop being so dramatic! You always did like to exaggerate especially in front of new people." Cole barked. A smirk flashed across his face as those green eyes popped up from the middle of the black mound.

Jumping to his feet he perked his ears and hung his tongue out of his mouth to pant. Wagging his long fluffy tail he pranced around happy that he didn't have to carry two men on his back. Athros still didn't know what to think so he simply grinned showing all his tiny white teeth.

"So do you think that he'll allow a large black wolf into his home?" Athros looked a bit concerned about having Ebony sleep outside. Cole just chuckled and patted Ebony on the head. His tail going crazy at all the attention he got when he was in this form.

Looking up at Athros he let out a loud bark that startled him, forcing him to jump and gasp loudly. Clutching his chest over his heart the magi closed his eyes and released a deep breath. Cole just smiled and started walking toward the house. The wolf ran up ahead then doubled back to where they were then ran past them again.

The albino watched his boots peek out of his cloak as he walked wondered what surprises the journey ahead had in store for them. Who would they meet, would they be friend or foe, would they join them, or even if they would make it back alive? He knew now that they would survive. His new companions were stronger than himself and that they both had kind hearts.

Cole hummed to himself as the house grew near. Just some old tunes he had heard when he was a child. He didn't remember much of his childhood and didn't want to, but the simple sweet comforts like his mother's warming smile and her sweet voice as she sung him all the songs a mother sings to a child as they grow. He remembered her smile and her warm embrace. He wiped away a dry tear and put on a stern face. Pushing the thoughts from his mind.

The house looked more impressive from the ground as it did from the sky. There was great love and care that went into the building of such a grand scale house. It was two stories and could have easily had five full sized bedrooms, but that was just by looking from the outside. Cole stepped up to the large wooden door that was carved with little scenes of hunting and logging. Rapping lightly on the door he stepped back from the threshold to await an answer. He wasn't the type to just barge on in uninvited and neither was Athros.

They could smell roast beef and freshly baked bread. They inhaled and exhaled with a sigh of delight. Heavy footsteps approached the door and it swung wide to reveal a man well built and almost as tall as Athros, who was close to 7'. His large arms opened wide and his voice boomed as he welcomed the travelers at his door.

"Well welcome strangers. Welcome to my home."

A large grin stretched across his short round face. His large leathery hands stretched out and patted Athros on the back as he pulled him through the door. Cole laughed at the magi's expression as the giant of a man pulled him in and gave him a bear hug with a single arm.

Ebony was behind them chasing fireflies; leaping up and snapping at them. The large man smiled at him, as he played unaware of what was going on. He stoked his large well-kept beard that hung high on his barrel chest in tiny loose braids.

Small round gray eyes peering at Cole from under thick red eyebrows, "Does that one always play so carefree?" Pointing a large finger at Ebony who was now chasing his tail.

Cole laughed loudly. "Yeah! He's a big baby, but I would have no one else fighting at my side than that nut there."

They chuckled together and Ebony heard the laughter and dashed over to see what all the commotion was about. He went up to Cole panting and waging his tail then looked at the large woodsman. He stopped panting, perked his ears and cocked his head to one side. Letting out a booming greeting to the wolf he bent down to get a better introduction.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.