Hydrogen - Cover

Hydrogen

Copyright© 2006 by Zep_

Chapter 3

Mike was given a clean bill of health from the doctor looking over him, and was released the next morning. Happily, all of his blood work had come back negative. Since it was a Saturday, Mike decided to put off looking for work until the end of the weekend. He returned home to his little apartment and did his weekly cleaning. It had always been a ritual for him to ignore the mounting mess, and to finish it all at once on his days off. It made him feel good to start with a big mess and turn it into something neat and organized.

By noon the dishes were done, the garbage was taken out, and his bedroom, living room, and bathroom cleaned. He sat down in on the couch and turned on the tube. He thought about going out and getting a copy of the paper, but decided to do it the next day. The Sunday paper always had more employment listings. He wondered if his next job would be as terrible as his last one. He frowned. He had worked his way through college for seven years to get a doctorate in microbiological engineering, something that continued to fascinate him. After graduating however, he found that the market for his field was glutted and the best job he could get in the state of Ohio was as a research assistant. This angered and depressed him so much that he decided to pursue his research on his own while working part time in a menial job. He didn't want to leave the state he was born and raised in, because of the close bond he had shared with his parents and sister. It had been painful to live two hours away from them while he was getting his degree.

So he had gotten a part time job at a movie theater, rented an apartment with an adjoining workshop in the seediest district of town so he could afford the rent, and began to work on his research. At first it was a struggle to pay the bills and to work the equivalent of one and a half full time jobs, but then he met Amy. She was seven years younger than Mike at only eighteen, but she had seemed much more mature than most teenagers. Though she wasn't the type he usually went for, she had been very pretty with her long dirty-blond hair and aristocratic face. She had a sexy pout she used sometimes when they were having sex that always drove him crazy.

They had met at the movie theater where they both worked. Since they both worked behind the counter as snack vendors, they had a lot of time to talk, and while their interests were very different, Mike found that they got along pretty well. Amy was an uncomplicated girl. The fact that she was only eighteen hadn't hurt matters any; Mike had always liked younger girls. After only a few weeks they were dating, and in just two months they were living together. She moved in directly from her parent's house; it was her first time living away from home.

Mike liked their arrangement very much; it meant that he had someone else to help pay the bills, which allowed him to spend more money on his research. While cheap to pursue in comparison with other fields of study, it still ate almost all of his free money. Most of all, though, he loved sharing his daily life with someone else who he cared about. He also enjoyed having sex with a pretty girl almost every night.

Then the accident happened. His mother, father, and little sister, his entire living family, was killed in a car accident. He somehow made it through this tragedy, but his relationship with Amy suffered for it. It seemed to him that she didn't understand his depression at this loss. It seemed like she thought less of him for it.

It wasn't surprising, really. He had met Amy's parents only once, and the experience hadn't seemed like a big deal to either of them. Amy didn't talk with them the way Mike talked to his family, and he guessed that they weren't friends. They certainly weren't close; in the fifteen months Amy had lived with him, she had only visited her parents twice, and one of those time had been to ask for money.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.