Two Strikes - Cover

Two Strikes

Copyright© 2006 by Tony Stevens

Chapter 20

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 20 - Paul Elias had a future as a pro ballplayer -- at least until they sent him to Afghanistan. Now, he had to find a new way to make his mark in the world. But he would have good help.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual  

Mid-March. Paul had received from his agent, Powell Grantham, only two calls about potential jobs since their initial meeting three months earlier. Because of Lois' emergency, Paul had shown little interest in the interview offers (both in cities hundreds of miles to the west), and had declined to follow up.

Today, Grantham had telephoned Paul, but the agent skipped the amenities as soon the phone was answered. "Are you working with Alex Fain and his agent?" Grantham asked.

"Working with?... No. I'm not working with anybody. I mean, you're my agent."

"Well, I've heard now, from two different sources, that Alex and his agent are shopping you around to ball clubs that are looking for broadcasters. Fain wants to be a play-by-play man, and he's telling potential employers about you, as well."

"He hasn't said anything to me."

"What I hear, he's making it a kind of two-for-one deal," Grantham said. "He offers his services, and then he tells them about you, as kind of a strictly-optional extra attraction. He points out that the color man, on his demo, is you. And he's been giving them a whole spiel about how you're a war hero, and a disabled veteran -- the whole works!"

"I didn't know anything about it, Powell. I'm sorry, if you're thinking it undercuts what you're trying to do. But, I mean, I guess he's just trying to be -- helpful."

"Bullshit," Grantham said. "He's trying to get a job, and he's riding piggy-back on you, just in case it might help him get one."

"Well, gee, that's a little harsh, isn't it? I mean, I don't go for that 'hero' business, if he's really saying that, but it sounds like he's just trying to do me a good turn."

"It's nice that you're such a Pollyanna kinda guy, Paul, but I wouldn't hold my breath, I was you, waiting for Alex Fain to do me a favor. A fellow could suffocate, that way."

Paul was a little confused, but not yet willing to find fault with Alex Fain. But he realized he needed to mollify his agent. "Anyhow, Powell, whether it's generosity or a self-serving ploy on his part, I guarantee you, if I get a job through Fain's efforts, I'll pay you your agent's fee just the same."

"Damned straight, you will! I'd sue your ass -- with easy success, I might add -- if you didn't. But I'm not hacked off because of any endangered agent's fee, Paul. I'm pissed because I think Alex Fain is just using you."

"Let him." Paul said. "I'm not Pollyanna; I know you could be right. But what harm can he do me? He's out for a play-by-play job, and he's pushing me as a color man. If he's successful, everybody wins."

"Except that you'd be tied to Fain, in your first job."

"And that's bad because... ?"

"It's bad because he hasn't got all that great of a rep in the business, Paul. And because I don't think he's going to land any top jobs -- now or in the future."

"Maybe I should just go to ESPN Radio, try to get his old job."

"Don't worry, I've already thought of that. But no bites from them, so far."

"Do they know he's shopping himself around?"

"ESPN? Sure, they know. That's OK. That's normal behavior. They probably won't even hold it against him -- unless he up and leaves them at a bad time of the year, and they're stuck without adequate backup."

"It's pretty late already now, isn't it? I've been figuring I wasn't likely to land anything, with the season starting in a couple of weeks."

"It is late, Paul. But there's some musical-chairs stuff going on, even as we speak. Something could still happen. If it does, you'll have to be ready to move fast."

"Lois still needs me, Powell. If something comes up at the wrong time -- while she's back in the hospital for surgery, or just recovering, why, I'll just have to pass."

"I understand. But try to be ready to move quickly. I'll get back to you, Paul."


Grantham did get back to Paul, just five days later. "Paul, listen, I got a call from Elliot Horowitz, from the Braves. Now -- don't get too excited, because I know the Braves are already set for the season. They don't need anybody, on radio or on TV. But Horowitz asked about you, and I agreed that you'd give him a direct callback. Can you do that?"

"Yeah. But next Monday morning, Lois is going back into the hospital, and I'm not leaving here after that."

"Call him. See what he says."

"OK."


"Mr. Horowitz? Paul Elias. I spoke to my agent, Powell Grantham, and he asked me to give you a call."

"Yeah. Thanks. Listen, Paul, what's with Alex Fain and his agent? Don't they represent you, too?"

"No, sir. I heard, just recently, that Alex was talking me up to people he was interviewing with. We did a demo tape together. But what he's been saying -- it was news to me."

"He's selling you like the two of you were attached at the hip. Made a big deal out of your war record. Said you were a hero, and that you needed the work."

"Like I said, Mr. Horowitz, I didn't know anything about that. Mr. Grantham is my agent. And I'm not a war hero. I got hurt in the war, is all. But, now, Grantham -- he's my only agent. And he's a little perturbed about Fain's actions."

"Well, I don't blame him! I don't know if Fain is trying to help you or not, but I'll tell you, he's not helping you! I think he's just trying to climb on your shoulders to get himself up."

"I appreciate your letting me know, Mr. Horowitz. I'll get in touch with Fain, ask him to ease up on the hard-sell."

"That's not why I called you, Mr. Elias."

"Sir?"

"Frankly, I wouldn't hire Alex Fain to help the ground crew cover the field, but I heard you on tape -- on his tape. And I heard you on your own demo -- the one that Grantham sent me. You sound pretty good."

"Thank you, sir."

"How would you feel about Richmond?"

"You mean -- your Triple-A club?"

"That's right. It would be a place for you to start."

"Yes, sir! It sure would! I'd be very interested in talking about it, sir."

"We'll need to get together -- all of us. My guys, your agent, you. Could you come down here?"

"Yes, sir, only -- not Monday. Not anytime next week, sir."

"Time's getting awfully short. I need to see you -- talk to you -- before this can be official, Mr. Elias. That's not asking too much."

"No, sir, it certainly is not. But I have a personal situation. My -- fiancé, Mr. Horowitz -- Lois Silverthorn, is undergoing surgery Monday morning, here in Philadelphia. I need to be here, with her. And, afterward, too."

"You can't get loose, even later in the week?"

"It's important, sir, that I be here. You see, Lois was severely injured in a train wreck, last December. Her face was cut and burned. She's been undergoing a series of surgeries. It's pretty critical that I give her some support, right now."

"Fain said you lost both your legs overseas, in the Iraqi war."

"Yes, sir. It was Afghanistan, sir."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.