The Voyage of the Narwhal - Cover

The Voyage of the Narwhal

Copyright© 2006 by Etherealism

Chapter 3

I decided that it wasn't best for me to open the letter in public, so I crept away with Natasha and headed for the private confines of our cabin where I could read it in secret. Natasha drew chairs for us both and we seated ourselves at the table and lit a small candle. The luminosity of the flame reflected slightly upon the surface of the wax seal, enabling me to study its features carefully. The print appeared to resemble the Narwhal, a galleon which used the likes of flaming ballistae instead of basic cannons to ruin opposing ships.

I slid a finger beneath the paper fold and prized open the envelope, liberating the folded piece of parchment that was concealed inside.

"Read it out loud," ordered Natasha excitedly as I fumbled to unfold the letter. I flattened the note against the surface of the table and made a swift scan of the bold and masterful ink lettering.

Dear Master Inskipp,

This is a highly selective invitation to join the Narwhal's defense establishment.

Due to my limited resources and shallow pocket, I have been unable to hire well-trained guards to assist the Narwhal in protection against various obstacles that we may encounter at sea. Your services will be rewarded and you shall acquire such benefits as gourmet meals and some small access to alcohol. Joining you will be four other shipmates so you will not be alone.

Should you choose to accept this invitation, then please meet me in my cabin at ten o'clock where the others and I shall be waiting.

Kindest regards,

Captain Taela.

Natasha nodded satisfyingly. "Just as I thought," she said. "After what I heard you do from the other crewmates, I thought that you might be joining us."

I stared at her blankly. "Joining us? So you mean that you're part of this thing too?"

"Yup. Only people with real talent can be accepted to this group."

"Well, if Taela likes me for my swordplay, then what can you do Tash?"

She reached over a put a finger across my lips as if to silence me. "Hush little Inskipp. Not until the meeting begins. It'll be a surprise."

"You must be still good then nonetheless," I concluded, "For whatever you do."

Natasha got up, stood behind my chair and roped her arms around my neck so she could whisper into my ear, "Only good enough to make you look foolish." She nibbled on my neck and I enjoyed the tingling sensation. She then reached down and pinched out the candle flame with two fingers. "We got one hour until we meet the gang... so what do you wanna do u until then, Skipp?"

I reached up and softly pulled her head around so I could kiss her fully on the lips. "Oh, I can think of one thing."

Natasha saw the twinkle in my eye and giggled. "So who's being naughty now, huh?"


We eventually decided that it was too nauseating to stay below deck, so we climbed to the port and viewed the glorious sight of the cloudless sky and ever-expanding Ocean. The Narwhal was a wind fish, cutting through the water like a hot knife through butter. Seagulls traced its progress, soaring above the rippling sails and then swooping down to the two dozen or so oars that were pushing the longboat onwards to our destination.

Natasha and I strolled along deck, passing by the rows of ballistae that were stationed on either side of the ship. They looked battered, weathered and worn, probably from after seeing many years of action. I imagined that they had done their job well.

I traced a hand down the smooth length a mammoth crossbow, simply admiring its sheer size and weight. I could imagine the sharp twang of the giant string snapping forwards, throwing an iron shod spear bathed in flaming kerosene, searing across the skies of eternity. The enemy ship would ignite, thus sending the crew overboard as the sails incinerated and collapsed hazardously onto the deck.

I turned to Natasha who was leaning against the rail, peering deep into the horizon. She looked so fascinating in the fierce sea breeze - her white shirt, chestnut hair and dark green skirt were all wavering about as if she was some form of ocean goddess, relaxing on her celestial balcony, watching her creations mingle in the distance. I felt as if I could watch her forever.

"Have you ever seen these weapons in action?" I asked as I felt the blunt end of one spear.

"I have." Her gaze seemed remote and unending.

"I guess you don't want talk about it, huh?"

Natasha sighed and shook her head. "No, it's not that... I'm just a bit tired, that's all."

I tried to change the conversation. "So tell me about this organization. What can the Narwhal expect to come across in this voyage? Why would Taela forge this group?"

"The only thing I can think of is pirates. There really isn't anything else out here."

"Not even sea monsters?" I said hopefully.

"Ah, but I have seen one of those..."

I jumped in surprise. "What??? What was it?"

Natasha looked at me with a devious facial expression. "Captain Taela."

I felt myself suddenly shrink into darkness. Quintus' talking of the Captain while on deck superstition was getting to me. I hoped for both our sakes, that it wasn't true.

"I don't really understand what everyone is talking about," I said, "Captain Taela seems like a pretty easy going person. She did restrain Vander when he had a go at me. What do you say to that?"

"Taela's colors will soon show," Natasha replied. She turned back to the ocean and continued, "Taela can sense Vander's jealousy of you, as can I. But there's something else, something I can't quite put my finger on. The Captain's taken an odd liking to you Inskipp, and that's something that we don't take lightly. I'm worried Skipp, and Vander is too. Something's going to happen."

"Why would Vander be worried?" I said before shielding my face from a blast of sea spray that showered the deck.

Natasha was deep in thought. "It's possible that Taela may doubt Vander's trust at the moment, and that could lead to only one thing..."

"That she's looking for a replacement?" I suggested.

Natasha shook her head disapprovingly. "No, that couldn't be right... Bah! Why are we even talking about these things? There's obviously nothing going on and we're just overreacting. Let's leave it at that, shall we?"

Too late, I thought. The idea was already in my head and would be difficult to get out.

"We'll leave it at that."


The time eventually came for Tash and me to approach the Captain's cabin. We made our past the other wandering passengers and crewmen to the stern where we found a wide open door. I assumed that I has accepted Taela's strange invitation and stepped inside.

The cabin was just I had remembered it — wide, open, spacious and heavily decorated. Taela seemed to have quite the expensive taste for someone who wasn't doing financially well. However, today the cabin was not as spacious as it could've been due to the three men who were standing around the Captain's desk where the lovely Taela was currently seated. I recognized only two of those that were standing up — Quintus and Vander. The third remained a mystery. He was clothed in a red soldier's uniform, standing in an elegant pose. His face possessed a large bushy moustache with long curled up tips which accentuated his broad and happy smile.

"Nice of you to join us Master Inskipp," the Captain said smoothly, "as of you, Ms. Natasha" she added as Tash made her entrance through the doorway. "Please, everyone have a seat." We all drew chairs and sat in an oddly fashioned circle.

Taela continued from over her desk and addressed everyone. "I have gathered you all today because it is possible that you may be fighting side by side one another in the near future. As you all know, these waters are continuously prowled by pirate vessels and the like, so the Narwhal needs adequate protection. I really can't afford the loss of another ship, especially one as rare as this." She then extended a hand towards me. "I also thought that this would be a good time to introduce our newest member, Master Inskipp. I do believe that you have met everyone here, have you not?"

Quintus nodded, Vander gave a short 'hmph' and the curious mustached fellow shook his head. "Can't say that I have, chaps."

The Captain looked pleased. "Ah, excellent! Inskipp, I'd like to introduce you to our new, acting quartermaster, Mr. Jim Stacey."

The arrogant looking man tweaked one end of his moustache. "That's Gentleman Jim Stacey to you, Sah!" He stood and gave a smart salute before introducing himself. "Muskets, blunders and pistols, at your service! Once served under Commodore Welshire of the Seventh Battalion for six years and scored mahself medallions for accuracy while in training, chaps." He took swift glance at Natasha and snorted. "I assure ye that trusty boomsticks be far better than Ms. Natasha's longbow skills, wot!"

"I know that bows may be primitive Mr. Jim Stacey," Natasha said with a menacing glint in one eye, "but when you want it done nice and quiet like, then I'm your girl."

"Don't make me repeat mahself lass," retorted the strange man, "It's Gentleman Jim Stacey to the likes of you. I'll take you on one day, me girl — arrow vs. lead. Then we'll see who'll see the next day!"

"Pull yer head in, Jim!" shouted Vander, "And shut that blabberin' gob o' yurs! I've heard enough of it already."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.