The Angry Whore - Book 2 - Cover

The Angry Whore - Book 2

Copyright© 2006 by POL

Chapter 4: The Maiden goes for the Prize

28 October, 1686 Afternoon

The eleven pirates locked up on the Maidens Revenge were transferred to the state room with the other four on the De Droom. Adalberto Carapau was indeed one of those that had remained alive, but he had received such a substantial injury to his right arm that even after having re-set it, Ihon could not be confident if he would ever again regain its use.

Carmen and a few of the others took Carapau aside for inquiry only to discover that he was not up for much, having a small fever because of his wound, but the crew of the Maidens Revenge crowded around him none the less, asking a multitude of questions, and the one time ships Captain of the De Droom, unlike Denkton, never once tried to convince them that his only interest lay in the engagement of mercantile pursuits. Rather, he confirmed Denkton's full account of things concerning, Blanchart, the Maidens Revenge, the De Droom, the other five vessels, and how and when all would be paid.

Of the other five vessels names or their locations he claimed no knowledge, and because he appeared to be a broken man with nothing left, not even the spirit of a rabbit, they were inclined to believe him.

The crew of the Maidens Revenge then gathered together to decide what they should do with the De Droom and those that were left of her crew. So, when they had talked about it for a half of an hour, and after Scarlet and Aba had assured them that they would be welcome because they had not raided any Spanish ships or towns, it was agreed, along with a few other things, that the Maidens Revenge would sail to Havana and recover the heavy money-chest Blanchart had had Denkton hide away.


Early the following morning the crew of fifteen desperate scoundrels, along with Rauf Denkton and Jon De'lee were gathered upon the deck of the De Droom.

Adalberto Carapau looked as though he had gained back a little of his strength and resolve during the night. Or so it seemed to Carmen.

"An' so this is what is left of your fine crew?" Carmen spoke out loud and clear to the group of men, "a lot of unkempt wild beasts, it strikes me. Now listen well, I have not gathered you together to convert your souls, nor am I about to preach my first sermon. But I am here to tell you the way of things and anyone with any discord will be given the opportunity to cultivate an extensive acquaintance with the sharks and other tyrants of the deep."

"Now, sir," she continued, turning to Denkton, "You will draw a map which will direct us to the location of the prize-money you have hidden away. Once we have secured said moneys we will leave enough funds in that very same location that each of you," she waved her arm and eyes over the group of pirates, "will come away with at least a portion of the wages you were promised. Now although none of you look as though you keep accounts for a living, I warrant a few have enough arithmetic in your heads to divide the wage-moneys evenly among yourselves."

Murmurings rose up from the crew of pirates and Carmen paused momentarily allowing her words to soak in before continuing, "And why, you ask, would this crew offer you such good fare and generous treatment? Because just as we treated your wounded that is our way," then she altered her voice to a more stern, rough tone, "but make no mistake, with this the Maidens Revenge has run out of generosities and should any of you, or any that you should come across be it man or crew that attempt to sneak in on us in the night, or be it any ship that would point her guns at us, we will offer no quarter, and by the good Saint Christopher, I swear we will see them to hell!"

"That being said," Carmen said shortly, lowering her voice volume and tone, "are there any among you that judge we are not capable of supporting these words?"

There was no answer although the ring of men widened under the threat of her eyes, and she met sullen faces here and there, "Good, then after we have alleviated this ship of her mizzens and vertical battens you will be allowed to follow us to Havana," then looking at Adalberto Carapau she asked, "I assume you are fit enough to navigate the sea?"

Carapau nodded.

"Then consider yourself yet as acting Captain of this ship." Turning her attention to Denkton she said, "Mr. Denkton, am I to assume you wish to remain with your ship."

"The De Droom is all I have. Yes, I will stay with my ship Captain," Denkton answered.

"That being the case Captain Carapau," Carmen once again addressed Carapau, "should any misfortune befall Mr. Denkton or Mr. De'lee here, I shall hold you personally responsible."

"No harm with befall them Captain. My word on it," Carapau answered as he looked around at the faces of the other fourteen men making sure they understood he meant it.

While Cog oversaw the removal of a few of the Barque's sails which would insure the Maidens Revenge would port in Havana long before the De Droom could arrive, Denkton drew up a map showing the location where he had hidden Blanchart's money. As he labored over the chart Denkton told Carmen that Blanchart had instructed him to bury the chest outside, and not hide it inside a house or building because in the event Blanchart needed to retrieve the money himself he didn't want any trouble getting to it.

"Here Captain," Denkton said handing her the map, "It's buried approximately three feet deep."

Carmen looked at the map after Denkton had handed it to her and she saw marked on it the location of Havana, names of hills, paths, and what looked like two farms. Written on the side was some further information, 'Sanchez farm, bearing E.S.E and by E. to Miguel rock, then bearing a point to the N. of N.N.E., by the trend of the east hummock around two fathoms south to the black crag with the face on it, then N.E. ten paces to Sand-hill, then to tall tree, then thirty paces N.'

"This is somewhat incomprehensible Mr. Denkton," Carmen commented looking up from the map.

"I know Captain, I'm sorry, but I've attempted to make it as clear as possible. If one isn't familiar with the landmarks I'm afraid it does seem rather unfathomable. Here, allow me to try again," Denkton said reaching out for the map.

"Captain, please may I have a look at it?" De'lee interrupted.

Carmen shrugged her shoulders then handed the map to the boy.

Jon painstakingly looked over the map, then after asking his uncle about two areas which he pointed out to him and then having received answers to these questions he looked at Carmen and told her with full confidence, "I can take you directly to it."

"Really?"

"Yes sir... ah, ma'am... ah, Captain."

"You would sail with us aboard the Maidens Revenge then?" Carmen asked.

"Yes, I would ma'am... Captain," he answered beaming with joy.

When the De Droom moved away from the side of the Maidens Revenge she hoisted all sail available, and got away over the sea as fast as the prevailing wind and her limited sail area could take her.

At the helm Diego brought the Maidens Revenge about and took position following behind the other ship, and in less than five minute they had overtaken the sail restricted Barque, and two hours after that not even a speck of her sails could be seen on the horizon behind them.


As night drew near Scarlet had just finished assisting Aba with some needed adjustments on the aft starboard swivel when he looked down the side of the ship and saw Constance standing alone on the bow which seemed aglow in an orange hue. Her back was to him and she was gracefully leaning over the rail and looking out across the water through the dusk toward the westward, where the sky was still of a lingering brightness in the distance.

It was an unseasonably warm evening and the cloudless night sky became more and more bespeckled with stars the lower the sun sank. Scarlet felt his heart rate quicken as he approached Constance. Her black, silk, puffy sleeved blouse seemed to be transparent with an intricate design of shimmering beads discreetly sewn into the sheer fabric, and her lush, blonde hair shimmered like gold in the fading sunlight as it poured over her shoulders. Scarlet walked up close behind her, breathed in the subtle aroma of her skin, and slowly enfolded his arms around her waist.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.