A Modern Bard's Tale - Cover

A Modern Bard's Tale

Copyright© 2006 by D A Porter

Chapter 6

I felt Danielle's thread vanish from that far off place, then snap back into existence, much stronger as she re-appeared behind me. She cane around the chair and faced me. "My father sends his regrets for my cousin's actions. He says that your forbearance in the face of an assault by a renegade has brought great honor to your House and to you personally. He gives his unconditional approval of our Bonding. And finally, he said that Michelle will recover. The combat was witnessed and you won fairly and with a minimum of damage to your opponent. As of this moment, Michelle is your chattel. Her powers and abilities are sharply bound with the strongest magics that our House and its allies can bring to bear. And he is sending my dowry to our home as we speak."

"Tell your father my thanks for his gracious acceptance of our union."

"He wants to meet you himself, and awaits only an invitation from your host," she said.

Brian looked up, startled. Ariel laid her hand upon his and he glanced at her. "The invitation is given," he said.

I lifted Maeve to her feet and stood up. Brian also arose, but Ariel was somehow already standing beside him.

There was a glow from behind me. When I turned, A tall, handsome man stood there wearing clothes that would have been more at home in the middle ages. "I am Maurice Du Main," he announced. "And I come in peace and friendship, unarmed."

I held out my hand to him. "I am William Bard. Bond-mate to your daughter Danielle."

He took my hand in a strong grip. "Your prowess in battle is matched by your mercy and generosity toward my House.

"I have gained a prize beyond measure in Danielle." I replied. "And I hope someday to find out why Michelle acted as she did. In the meantime, she will join our House as a daughter with a daughter's privileges and duties. She will be treated with love and the respect that she earns."

He gazed into my eyes, and then nodded as if satisfied. "May I use the Orb of House Kerry?" Ariel fetched the orb from its box and handed it to Maurice.

He held the Orb high enough for all to see. "I, Maurice Du Main, Head of House Du Main, pledge fealty to House Bard. We shall defend their house as we would our own."

He handed me the Orb. "I, William Bard, Head of House Bard, Accept the oath of fealty from House Du Main. I vow to defend them against all enemies as I would my own House. They shall share in our triumphs and our sorrows. Now and for all time." I handed the Orb to Brian.

"I, Brian Kerry, Head of House Kerry, Hereby witness this Oath of Fealty and Vassalage between House Du Main and House Bard. Sworn upon the Orb of Danae for all to know."

He handed the orb to Ariel to put away

Try as I might, I kept winding up in over my head deeper and deeper.

"Will you do me the Honor of attending the wedding of Maeve Kerry and Myself tomorrow afternoon? Ariel Kerry can provide you with details as to the time. The place is right here." I asked.

"May I bring my wife and family?" He wanted to know.

"You can bring anyone you wish up to a total of 10 guests to allow enough room for others to bring their guests." Ariel said.

"I would be honored to attend the wedding of my Liege and Lady." Maurice said formally. "I shall depart to inform my wife and my people of these events." He turned to me again. "By your leave."

I gave him a nod, and he walked past me and vanished from the room.

I looked at my wife and smiled wearily. "My love, I am in dire need of sleep and your arms around me."

Brian chuckled. "Go then, take your wife home and get some rest. I misdoubt me not that you'll need it tomorrow." He pointed at Candy. "You drive William's car home, the rest will ride in the limousine."

"Yes milord." replied Candy meekly.

Before I could leave, Ariel pulled me aside. "'Tis plain to see that this was your first mortal combat. But the girl lives, rejoice in that."

I hugged my mother in law. "Not the first time I have had to kill." I said. "But the first time I fought against a beautiful woman. If she had appeared in her true form, she quite possibly would have killed me as I hesitated to strike due to her gender."

"An admirable sentiment, but one that could easily get you killed." Ariel said. "I assure you that a Sidhe woman would have no compunction about slaying you out of hand if she thought that you need killing."

"I know that here." I tapped my head. "But I have to train myself to know it here." and I tapped myself on the center of my chest. She shook her head and kissed me once more.

Maeve leaned on me as we went downstairs to the limo. The driver held the door for us, and then trotted around to his side of the car. As we rode home, the girls were uncharacteristically quiet.

"OK my loves, what's wrong?" I asked

"Why did you agree to take that traitor into our home?" burst out Bethany. "She might try to kill you again!"

"Small chance of that with her powers bound." I replied. "Remember, Michelle is coming to us as a daughter. That makes you all co-mothers." I grinned at them. "And it is up to the mothers to teach the daughters proper behavior and manners." I sobered abruptly. "Let me make this clear as crystal right now. Michelle will NOT be mistreated physically, mentally, or emotionally. If she errs, we will decide as a family on punishment, unless she physically endangers herself or others. If we show her love and compassion, those traits that are our greatest strengths as a House, we can and will make her a useful part of our family."

Maeve clasped my hand tightly, as did Danielle. Bethany subsided and conversation picked up. "Well my love, you said that you wanted a daughter. I delivered ahead of schedule." I whispered into Maeve 's ear. She cracked up laughing. Karen asked what the joke was. So I told her, and all the Heavenly Horde started laughing along with Maeve. Marianne picked up the car phone and called Candy on her cell phone to tell her what I had said. Candy said that she was relieved not to have to change diapers on the first daughter, making everyone laugh when Marianne relayed the joke.

We were all in a better mood by the time we got home. I told the driver to pick us up by 10 AM the next morning.

Danielle had never been upstairs in our home. She was given the grand tour by the rest of the Heavenly Horde.

I undressed and got into bed with Maeve. She held me as I slowly relaxed enough to go to sleep.

I woke up in the morning with Maeve on my right shoulder, Bethany on my left shoulder, and Chyoko sprawled atop me, sound asleep. *No way I 'm getting out of bed this morning without waking someone up* I thought.

Danielle popped her head up and smiled brightly from the other side of Maeve. "Good morning husband." she said.

Then everyone started waking up. "Good morning ladies. "I said. "I love you all. Now please let me get out of bed before something happens that I haven't done since I was 3 years old."

There was a chorus of giggles and the girls made room for me to scoot out of bed and head for the bathroom.

This was getting ridiculous. I was going to have to have Maeve set up a schedule restricting how many people would sleep in our bed on any given night. Not that I minded all that female company, but jeez, a guy could overdose and become blasé about the whole thing, and that would be a crying shame.

Maeve was alone when I came out of the bathroom. I noticed that she had a washcloth clamped between her thighs. "I am sorry my love. I should have let you in the bathroom first."

"I didn't notice myself until I got out of bed." Maeve said. "By then you were already in there." She scooted past me though the bathroom door. "I'll be out in a while."

There was a suit laid out on the bed. I went ahead and put it on. It fit like a custom tailored suit is supposed to fit, but seldom does.

I had just finished knotting my tie when Maeve emerged from the bathroom. She came up behind me and put her arms around me. "You look handsome today my husband." She said as she laid her cheek against my back.

"All for you my beloved." I replied. "No one will notice me with the most beautiful woman in the universe at my side."

I turned in her embrace and kissed her. "All my life I waited for you, not knowing what awaited me. Now, at last, I am complete."

Maeve bit her lip. "If we had the time, I'd drag you over to that bed again."

"Screw 'em. I'd rather have you in my arms than anything in the world." I said. "The bed's that way."

She sighed and pushed me away regretfully. "I really wish I could." she said. "But as you reminded me, I am now Matron and Lady of a Major House, and I need to act accordingly."

"I am so very proud of you my Lady." I said. "So if we aren't going to screw like crazed minks, you'd better get something on so that we can get going."

She giggled and kissed be before going to her closet and pulling out a dress. "I won't bother with undergarments for now. Mother will have them waiting with the wedding dress." She said as she pulled her frock over her head. She pulled the zipper up the side of the dress and stepped into a pair of sandals. "Ready my love." she said.

"Get the sword I gave you. " I told her. "I will wear 'Seeker'."

Her eyes got big. "Do you anticipate trouble?"

"No, but I will NOT take a chance with my bride on my wedding day. All of our Bond-mates are to be armed. It will serve as a statement of strength."

"As you wish my Lord," she said.

"Trust me on this." I told her. "Potential enemies will see our readiness, even at a wedding, and think twice about moving against us."

I had a sudden inspiration. "Danielle will bear the sword I used in battle yesterday."

Maeve gasped. "But why?"

"It will symbolize the trust I have in her to everyone. And it will signal her acceptance of the outcome of that battle, and serve as a warning to others of her clan who might be tempted to turn renegade." I explained.

She shivered. "'Tis a bold move, and a quick one." she said, her accent peeping through as it did when she was stressed. "Yet I believe that it may be the best way to show our solidarity."

We went out of the apartment and gathered the rest of the crew just in time for the limo to show up.

At the Kerry home, Brian kept me busy, introducing me to the various guests while Maeve was off with her mother and Bond-mates getting re-dressed for the ceremony.

I explained to Brian why all of our party were armed.

He grew an evil smile. "Such a display hasn't been seen at a wedding since the days of..." he broke off there. "This is going to be a fun morning."

"For you maybe." I grumped. "But for me, tension and nervousness are the order of the day."

"Spoken like a true bridegroom." He leaned closer and spoke quietly. "I was a mass of jangled nerves on my wedding day too." he chuckled, "And my nuptials were nowhere near as dramatic as yours are going to be."

"Thanks loads." I said sourly. Then had to grin as he offered me a cigar.

"Have one and cheer up," he said. "Just think of the bride you're getting, and the wedding night that you'll have."

I nipped the tip of the cigar and lit up.

He was right. It did calm my nerves a lot.

All too soon, I was standing by the fireplace with a minister and Fergus McGill, who was as close as I had to a best man.

Then the music started. The wedding March, of course. The doors at the far end of the hall opened and Maeve entered, Brian by her side, followed by the Heavenly Horde, all looking radiant in matching silk dresses.

But my Maeve outshined all. In a stunning white satin and silk dress that probably cost as much as out home, or more. No one had eyes for anyone but her as she made her way up the aisle at a stately, sedate pace.

Her body language showed her eagerness if her face did not.

It seemed to take several eternities for her to make her way to my side. She slipped her arm through mine as we turned to face the minister.

"Dearly Beloved..."

The rest of the ceremony is still pretty much a blur to me. But somehow I stumbled though it well enough for the minister to say, "I now pronounce you Man and Wife. You may kiss the bride." Maeve flowed into my arms and her lips met mine. My world narrowed down to her and her alone. Finally we broke the kiss to the applause of the guests.

At the reception, Maeve refused to leave my side. Danielle stood a pace to the right and a step back, obviously acting as a bodyguard.

I finally met Mieko, the Lady Dragon who was Chyoko's mother.

I bowed to her. "Welcome Honored Mother. " I said.

Maeve dropped a deep curtsy. "I can see where my Bond-mate gets her beauty."

Mieko snorted. "And I can see why she is so besotted with you." she told me. "I like it that you have your Bond-mate/bodyguard carrying the weapon that you used in combat. The Katana is a noble weapon."

"Hai." I said. "My usual weapon of choice."

Mieko moved up against me and kissed me, her tongue slipping briefly into my mouth to Maeve's outrage and Chyoko's amusement. "Yes," she said when she moved back a step. "You'll do nicely for my daughter."

She winked at Maeve. "Forgive the kiss," she said with a devilish smile. "But a Dragon's kiss bestows certain gifts upon the mortal receiving it."

She hugged Maeve and kissed her cheek. "He is a great kisser though, isn't he?"

Maeve finally had to laugh. It was impossible to stay angry with Mieko.

Mieko attached herself to Brian's arms and smiled winningly up at him. "So now you have a son-in-law..." and they moved off.

"Dragons," said Danielle. "Sex maniacs, every single one."

"Personal experience?" Maeve asked archly

"Meow girls." I said. "None of this sniping at the wedding, and none at any other time. You are both my wives, and I will have peace in my household."

Danielle hugged Maeve and they kissed. "I'm sorry. I was way out of line." Maeve said. "Sisters?" Danielle asked.

"Sisters." Maeve declared firmly.

I met the parents of each of my Bond-mates. Each had brought their daughters dowry and gifts to the wedding. I peeked into the room where it all was stashed.

*Cripes, I'm going to have to use a SEMI to haul all this shit home* I thought.

Ariel tapped me on the shoulder. "Don't worry about that," she said. "It will all be at your home by the time you arrive.

I took her in my arms for a hug. "My Lady, just in case no one has said it lately, you are the most wonderful mother in the world. Smart, wise, sexy, and altogether adorable. And you raised a daughter to as near perfection as can be attained by anyone less than a Goddess."

She smiled up at me with genuine warmth. "Someday," she said. "I will find out how much of your vaunted prowess in the sheets is fact and how much is fiction." She laughed deep in her throat. "You see, my daughter brags on you a lot."

"Somehow I doubt that your daughter or husband would appreciate me bedding you." I said with a grin.

She swayed against me again, "That taboo is not as strong among our folk as yours." She said so softly that only I could hear, "My husband would probably join us, and Maeve would I know, we have discussed it."

*OKaaayyy*

"I have plenty on my plate at the moment." I said. "So let's put this on the back burner for now. But I promise you this. If you are serious, and Maeve comes to me and asks me, I will do as you wish."

Ariel laughed again and kissed me deeply, leaving no doubt as to her intentions. Then she slipped off into the crowd.

Maeve came to stand in front of me. She faced the crowd and leaned back into my embrace. "Mother has been talking to you again," she stated. She wriggled her butt against my groin. "I can feel the evidence," she giggled. "Mother tends to have that effect on males she likes."

I pulled Maeve out to the dance floor. I thanked my long deceased grandma for making me learn ballroom dancing back when I was a kid. I waltzed my wife around the floor enjoying the feel of her in my arms.

Somehow, we avoided tripping ourselves, or anyone else, with our rapiers as we turned and glided around the room. When the song ended, the guests applauded. Ariel claimed me for the next dance while Brian squired his daughter. Then Mieko had a turn. By the time I had danced with each of the Heavenly Horde, AND their mothers, sisters, cousins, etc. I was exhausted.

Maeve tossed the bouquet. Mieko caught it. "Well, one can always hope." she quipped.

Finally, the guests had all departed, except for Mieko. She had been invited by her daughter to spend a few days at our home.

Brian saw us all into the limo, and then stood there with his arm around his wife as he watched us out of sight.

I went to bed feeling like someone had run me over with a tank.

I woke up to the sounds of construction below.

I opened my eyes and realized that I could also hear Maeve and Mieko in the kitchen through the open bedroom door.

Danielle was the designated bed warmer this morning. I looked at the clock again. Oops, this afternoon.

I got up and used the john.

I dressed and joined my wife at the table. "Thank you for letting me sleep." I said after I kissed her good morning. I also gave Mieko a peck on the lips.

"Mieko and I have been talking about things. I want you to take this next week and consummate the Bonding of our 'Horde'." Maeve said as I sipped my coffee. "Too long of a delay might be construed as an insult by their families."

"I suggest Chyoko and Danielle first." Mieko said. "My daughter simply because she wants you so badly, and Danielle because you need to cement that alliance as soon as possible."

"The other girls drew numbers at random. Do you want to know the order?" Maeve asked.

I thought about it. "No. Let them surprise me."

I stretched and yawned. "Pardon me, but you ladies ran me off my feet last night." Mieko threw a sly look at Maeve. "I can do this for you." she said. "I can grant you a choice of either a daughter or a son for your first born child." Her eyes glinted. "But there is a price." she paused for dramatic effect.

Maeve took the bait. "What price?"

Mieko pointed at me "I want his child in my womb. Before I return to my home."

"Can you guarantee a happy, healthy child for me?" Maeve asked.

"Healthy and beautiful I can promise." said the Dragon, "Happy will be up to you."

"Wisdom and intelligence added to the mix and you have a deal." Maeve said.

I felt like a prize bull being argued over by a couple of farmer's wives.

Mieko looked at me with a satisfied gleam in her eye. "I will visit your bed once per day until I conceive." She said. "The offspring will be raised with your input and involvement."

Maeve looked almost pathetically eager. "I want a son," she said. "Strong and tall like his father."

"The day before I leave, I shall prepare your body." Mieko said. "On that day, you will conceive. From that point, the pregnancy will proceed normally;"

Maeve sat in my lap and kissed me hard. "Thank you my love. You are making my chiefest desire reality."

I looked at Mieko. "Maeve must survive the pregnancy and birth. I want her to live to see our great grandchildren married off."

"Granted." Mieko said. "She will be happy and healthy as if the pregnancy had occurred normally without my intervention."

She considered me for a long moment. "I shall always deal with you and yours fairly and without deception or tricks. But beware of dealing with others of my kind. The legend of the Monkey's Paw originated with our dealings with normal humans."

Guide came up a little later with a progress report. The additions would be ready by Friday, and the basement was being cleaned up. "But what the hell do we do with all that weird crap that was stored down there?"

"Weird crap?" I said, "Let's go have a look."

Mieko and Maeve followed us dawn and through the chaos of the construction to the now brightly lit stairwell.

There were crates and boxes, and what looked like friggin' COFFINS stacked neatly against the walls and in rows in the middle of the room.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.