A Modern Bard's Tale - Cover

A Modern Bard's Tale

Copyright© 2006 by D A Porter

Chapter 2

The guests began filing past, making their goodbyes to the host and hostess. I stood a few feet away watching the parade. Several of the guests pressed cards on me, telling me to call them so that they could invite me to THEIR parties. I assured them that I would indeed contact them as soon as feasible.

Maeve joined us then, wearing a simple sheath dress and sandals that probably cost more than I earned in a year. She stood beside me and took my hand, entwined her fingers with mine, and stood with her eyes slightly downcast, looking very demure.

The remaining guests greeted her as they passed, many telling her they enjoyed the fencing demonstration immensely.

Once or twice she seemed about to reach for my rapier, but a gentle squeeze of her fingers was all it took to make her subside.

All of her inner circle of friends stayed behind as well as a couple of the mob bosses.

"Tell the girls that I'd like to talk to all of you in private later." I whispered to Maeve. She smiled at me and caressed my cheek, then went off with her friends.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Brian watching the byplay closely. I walked over to him and sighed. "It's been a weird and wonderful night."

"We have to talk later," he said.

*This can't be a good thing* I thought.

"At your convenience." I replied.

He gave me a half smile and moved off to talk to the mob guys. Ariel came over and took my arm, guiding me out of the room. "You have made quite an impression young man," she said. "I don't think I have ever seen my daughter behave the way she does around you."

"A problem child?" I inquired.

"Not really." Ariel said. "She's just very strong willed." she took a few breaths, then continued talking as we strolled. "We have tried to introduce her to suitable young men, but she has little patience with them, and none have tried to woo her past the second or third date."

"It sounds like you and her have differing opinions as to the definition of the word suitable." I remarked.

Ariel smiled up at me. "Evidently so." She led me into a cozy parlor type room. "Brian and I were hoping that she would settle down with someone and give us a grandchild while we are still young enough to enjoy the spoiling that is a grandparent's privilege."

She seated herself on a sofa next to me, turned slightly to face me. "Then you come along, and my daughter gives every indication of infatuation."

"And you don't approve." I said.

She shook her head quickly. "No, no. That's not what I mean at all," she hurried to say. "From everything I have seen, you would make a wonderful match for my daughter." She took a deep breath. "What I want... No, what I need to know is how you feel about my daughter and what your intentions are."

Well, this was definitely not the direction I had expected this conversation to take. "My intentions remain dishonorable, but willing to change them to honorable the instant I can get her to agree to my proposal."

Ariel blinked, then giggled.

"I can see where she gets her beauty." I told her. "Tell me, did you give Brian such a hard time when he was courting you?"

"Oh yes." she said with a throaty laugh. "I led him a merry chase. But he persisted and finally I allowed him to think he had won me," she laughed again. "Actually he had won my heart the day we met, but I wasn't about to let him know that."

I tried to hide my grin because Brian had come silently into the room and was standing right behind her.

"I know it now though." Brian said from behind her. Ariel jumped about a foot.

"Will you cease sneaking up on me like that?" she demanded. "Or I'll have you sleeping on the rug!"

Brian chuckled and embraced his wife, kissing her tenderly. "As you will my love," he said. "And what of our daughter's Bard?" he asked.

"He's the one." she replied.

Brian relaxed subtly. "Then he and I should talk," he told her.

Ariel took the hint and left the room.

"The reports on you are mixed," He began as he poured us a couple of drinks. "You seem to have matured rather abruptly and rather late in life. But since then, you have been verging on the brilliant at times."

I said nothing and sipped my drink.

Bourbon and water, not my favorite, but acceptable.

"Very well." he grunted after a moment of silence. "And how would you support Maeve if she accepts you?"

"I own my business, and I have the feeling that this storytelling could become a quite lucrative career," I finished my drink and sat the glass down. "It's about time someone revives the old traditions. The world could use a few bards to liven things up."

"So you wouldn't expect us to support you?" he asked.

"Hell no," I answered. "I have been making my own way for years. I see no reason to change now. Maeve will either accept me or not on my own merits. And she will share in my joys and my sorrows as we pass through life."

"You ask much of her." Brian rumbled.

"And I offer much." I replied.

Brian nodded at last. "Let's find out what my daughter has to say," he said. "This whole matter may be a moot point."

We headed out to look for Maeve and her flock of friends.

We found the ladies in the room where the duel had taken place. Maeve moved to my side as soon as she saw me. She took my hand and held it tightly.

"Is everything all right?" she asked in a worried tone.

"That depends on you, my love." I said.

I guided her over to the chair where she had received her paddling and sat her down.

I looked over at Brian. "May I?"

"You may." he said.

I turned to Maeve and dropped to one knee before her. "My lady. My love. Will you marry me?"

There was a collective gasp from the onlookers.

Maeve sat there as unmoving as a statue. I waited patiently for her answer.

To tell the truth, I wasn't entirely sure HOW I wanted her to respond. But I was prepared to accept either answer with equal aplomb.

When she moved, it was to flick her eyes to her father, then to her friends. Finally, she looked back at me. I saw the pink tip of her tongue as she licked her lips. "Yes." she whispered.

One of the girls let out a whoop that made us all jump.

I threw a look at them and pulled my fiancée to her feet. I kissed her, then turned her around.

"You might want to give the news to your mother." I said and sent her off with a pat on the rear.

Brian came over. "For a moment there, I didn't think that you'd pull it off."

I gave him a tight smile. "There's always the chance she'll change her mind between now and the wedding."

He threw his head back and roared with laughter. "You don't know my daughter that well then," he said between gales of mirth. "Once she's made up her mind, Hell itself couldn't change her decision."

He sobered then and put his hand on my shoulder. "Now that you've got this started, don't break her heart or I'll hunt you down wherever you go on this world or any other."

I faced him squarely. "If I didn't love her and want her, I wouldn't have asked her." I said. "Now the question is, will you support my suit or oppose it?"

He just gave me a strange smile. "That depends on what is best for my daughter."

He turned and strode away. I watched him leave, thinking dark thoughts.

Then Maeve's friends surrounded me. They were full of questions, comments, and all of them talking at once.

Maeve came back with her mother in tow. Ariel put her hands on my shoulders and kissed me on both cheeks, then on the mouth. "Make her happy, and I'll love you forever." she told me. "Make her cry, and I'll haunt you to the depths of Hell."

I kissed her brow. "I am counting on it."

Maeve was practically dancing up and down with excitement.

"Come on," She said and hauled me off and into another room.

There on the table was an ornate silver punchbowl overflowing with cash.

"This is what they left after your story." she exclaimed. "Count it!"

I sighed. "I would rather find someplace to lay down and rest. It has been a very tiring night, and here it as nearly noon."

Maeve looked contrite. "I'm sorry." she said.

"Don't worry," I kissed her. "I am sure that you need your rest as well."

She helped me arrange the cash into a pair of rather impressive piles.

"You keep this for me," I told her. "And I will return tonight. I have much to discuss with your father."

She leaned against me. "I wish you didn't have to go."

"So do I." I replied. "But I have obligations elsewhere today, and I really do have to get some rest."

She walked me downstairs and called a cab from the foyer.

When the taxi arrived, I kissed her one more time, and then went out to the cab. "The Sheraton Hotel, Downtown," I told the driver.

I leaned back and closed my eyes for a moment, what the hell had I let myself in for now?

I opened my eyes and checked my watch.

Nearly noon.

I unhooked the rapier and the dagger from my belt and set them beside me. This was going to be an interesting day.

At the hotel, I stopped at the desk to talk to the clerk. "I need a wake up call at 7 PM. If need be, have someone come in and shake me awake."

"Very well sir." said the clerk. I slid a $20 bill across the counter and headed for the elevators.

Up in my room, I stripped off my clothes and took a shower. I fell into bed still somewhat damp and was asleep instantly.

I had some really weird dreams that afternoon.

A bizarre mixture of dragons and elves and demons and farmers.

I woke up to a feminine voice saying "Please wake up sir, it is now 7:10 PM."

I rolled over and sat up. The night clerk was standing just inside the doorway.

"Thank you." I said. "I really appreciate the service." I rubbed my eyes. "Will you be at the desk in a few minutes?"

She nodded cautiously.

"When I am dressed, I will stop by the desk and give you a token of my appreciation." I said.

She nodded again and left the room.

I got dressed and packed my bags., then I carried everything downstairs and went to the desk.

"I'm checking out." I told the clerk.

She smiled and brought my account up on the computer.

I handed her one of my credit cards and she soon had everything squared away.

The clerk slid my credit card back to me. "I hope you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton."

I checked out her nametag. "I did Cindy."

I handed her a folded $50 bill. "And here is the token of appreciation for the service that I promised."

That got me a genuine smile. "Thank you sir!"

I had her call a car rental company and have them send around a car. When it arrived, I loaded my bags and drove back to Maeve's house. I found a place to park and knocked on the door. Maeve answered my knock, pulling me inside and into an embrace before I could say a word. When she pulled back from the kiss enough to let me speak, I found myself at a complete loss for words.

So I kissed her again.

"Ahem." I heard from behind her. I opened my eyes and saw Brian standing there, fighting a grin. I broke the kiss and smiled at him across the top of Maeve's head as she snuggled even closer into my arms. "Good evening Mr. Kerry." I said. "I do believe that we need to have a little chat tonight."

"I believe that you are correct." he replied.

I finally pried my fiancée loose enough for me to walk as we followed her father upstairs.

She turned her head up to give me a roguish grin, then shifted her position slightly so that my hand was on her breast instead of her arm. I gave it a light squeeze, then moved my hand back to her arm just before her father turned to glance back at us.

Upstairs, Ariel greeted me with a smile and a restrained hug.

"Welcome back." she said.

We were in the cozy little parlor that had been the scene of our conversations earlier. Maeve sat down next to me on the settee. Brian and his wife sat in chairs with a small table between us.

"I have need of your advice and aid." I said to Brian.

He sat back and raised a brow in inquiry.

"If I am to continue with your daughter, I will need to move my residence to this city." I said.

"And how do you expect me to facilitate this?" he asked gruffly.

"You can recommend a reliable real estate broker." I replied. "I can handle the rest myself."

"Why not just look in the phone book?" Ariel put in.

"I had thought that you might want to steer a little business to one of your friends or business acquaintances," was my reply.

Brian and Ariel glanced at each other. "The request is logical, and we thank you for thinking of us." Ariel said. "However I think it would be a good test of your ingenuity for you to deal with this matter yourself."

And so the battle was joined. They wouldn't openly oppose a union between their daughter and myself, but they would not lift a finger to facilitate the relationship either.

I nodded. "I understand." I said. "Then I had best get started."

I stood and gave a nod to Brian and a bow to Ariel. Maeve was looking back and forth between us, getting pissed.

"I thought that you liked William and approved of him." she said. "Why won't you help him? All it would take would be a phone call!"

I put my hand on her shoulder and she quieted instantly, but still glared at her parents. She reached up to cover my hand with her own.

"Peace my love." I told her. "Your parents are looking out for your interests. They want to be sure that I have the brains and tenacity to solve my own problems and be a worthy mate for you." I smiled down at her. "I will likely be the same way when it comes time for our daughters to marry."

She gave a last glare at her parents, then stood with me.

"When will you be back?" she asked.

I kissed her cheek. "You'll see me again next weekend." I said. "That is, if you still want me by then."

She hit me on the shoulder with her fist. "I'll never give you up," she declared. "So don't talk that way."

She walked me to the door with Brian right behind us. On the front steps, he turned to Maeve. "Wait inside for a moment, you can have a proper goodbye in a bit." She started to protest, but a look from me quelled her and she stepped inside and closed the door.

I beckoned Brian down to the sidewalk. "Doubtless she has her ear pressed to the door right now, trying to eavesdrop."

Brian chuckled. "Doubtless," He took a deep breath. "Thank you for not raising a fuss in there. And thank you for standing up for us when she got angry about our not helping you."

I looked him in the eye. "If something happens and she does not become my wife, I wanted her to still be on speaking terms with you and her mother."

His shoulders slumped a bit. "There are things and situations involved here that you do not understand and may not be equipped to deal with." He put his hand on my shoulder. "I wish I could do more, but we must..." He turned abruptly away and started up the steps. "What I can do, I will," he said over his shoulder.

He opened the door and Maeve came out. She ran down the steps and handed me a fat packet. "Here is the money you asked me to hold for you," she said breathlessly.

She turned to look up at her father. "I'll go with him to the airport and come home in a cab," she said.

He just nodded to her and smiled at me. "Good luck, and you have my blessing, for what it's worth."

I walked her to the car and held the door for her. She gave me directions to the airport.

At the terminal, I turned in the rental car and we took the shuttle bus to the main terminal building. I bought my ticket, and was informed that there would be an hour's wait until my flight boarded.

We went to the airport lounge and found a quiet booth. She sat snuggled against me as we talked of many things.

I gave her my cell phone number, and she gave me hers.

I took the time to count the cash in the packet. "A little over $12,000," I told her in a whisper.

She just smiled and hugged me. Then she looked around, making sure no one could see us in the darkness of the booth, then she grabbed my hand and slid it inside her blouse to cup her bare breast. "Just for you to remember me by." she said with a devilish twinkle in her eye.

I kissed her long and deep, and then it was time to board the plane.

She walked with me as far as she could, then stood there and waved until I was out of sight.

The flight home was long but uneventful, and I recovered my bags without any trouble at all. I took a cab to my house and went inside.

The place seemed drab and empty now. I found myself missing Maeve more than I had thought.

I debated calling her, but it was about 4 AM her time. So I decided to call around midday.

I unpacked my bags and made a pot of coffee.

Sitting down at my computer, I brought up my bookkeeping program and started figuring how to best liquidate most of my tangible assets.

I phoned a realtor about 8:00 and told him that I was putting my house and property on the market and gave him a price. He said that he'd be over in an hour to look the place over and have me sign the papers.

I went back online and put all but my Caddy and my Harley up for sale on Ebay, then I e-mailed the friend who had made my rapier and dagger. I told him what I wanted, and told him to check Western Union for a money order by suppertime.

I sent out for pizza and set to work boxing and packing what belongings I intended to take. Everything else would be left with the house or given to Goodwill or the Salvation Army.

I showed the realtor around the house and provided him with the pertinent details as he shared the pizza that arrived at about the same time that he had.

I signed the papers and he told me that he figured that the house would move fairly quickly.

After he left, I was still packing boxes when my phone rang. I ran downstairs to answer it. "Hello?"

"Hello my love." It was Maeve.

"I've been thinking about you ever since I left." I said.

"Me too."

"I am home safely, and I am packing for the move. I should be back in the city by Friday."

"I miss you."

"And I miss you my love."

"It makes me all shivery when I hear you say that, 'my love'."

"Did you get any sleep?"

"Not yet." I heard a yawn over the phone.

"Get some rest my love. When I get back, you will be busy helping me pick out furnishings for my new home."

"You want me to help you shop?" She sounded all excited now.

"Of course." I said reasonably. "After all, you will be spending a lot of time there, I hope. And you ought to have some input. Besides, I think it would be fun spending time shopping with you."

Much excited squealing and whispering on her end of the phone. "I have to go now." She said. "Chyoko and the others send their love too.

"I love you my precious Maeve. Tell the ladies that I send them hugs and kisses too."

"Love you." she said, then hung up.

I went back to work energized as if I had slept a full 12 hours. I took a break about 4:00 to make a run to Western Union, then stopped and bought Mexican food to take home. I ate, and then worked long into the night packing everything except the bedding that was already on the bed. I tumbled onto the bed still dressed, and was asleep as soon as I hit the pillow.

I didn't wake up until almost noon. When I had showered and changed, I checked my e-mail to verify that my friend had picked up the money I had sent him. Then checked Ebay to see if there were any bids on my vehicles. There were acceptable bids on all of them, so I closed the bidding and notified the buyers.

I was busy on the phone for a while, arranging for the transfer of the various vehicles.

Then I called Mayflower and arranged for them to come pick up my boxes and take them to the city and hold them there in storage for me.

Finally, I disassembled my computer and packed it.

I spent 2 more days shutting off the gas, electric etc. and supervising the Goodwill people as they cleared out the rest of my junk.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.