Journey into the Past - Cover

Journey into the Past

Copyright© 2005 by Alistair Acorn

Chapter 12: The Death of a loved one

Shortly after the last lot of men had entered the Council Building, a runner came up to us and invited us to attend. When we walked through the crowd they just stared at us, I don't think they had spotted us on top of the wall previously, but they did now. They all looked the same, dirty, scruffy tangled hair group of people.

We entered the Council Building and the chattering we heard before we entered stopped immediately. Before we could go any further, one loudmouthed scruff leapt up to his feet. "Why are strangers entering our Council Building?"

Immediately Dunstan stood and declared. "They bring back the Sacred Ornaments, which Lord Brocea was carrying, but there is a condition to their return. My daughter will explain the condition." He then sat down.

The same lout stood up again. "Why don't we just kill them and take the Sacred Ornaments, there is only one man and three women." He was leaning on his spear and glowered at us.

I'm not one for all this debating process, to dispel any more such thoughts I had to give this man a demonstration. So I raised my rifle took careful aim and shot at the shaft of his spear. The spear shaft sheared and he tumbled to the floor, with a surprised look on his face. The rest of the assembly didn't know what to do, they stood, they frantically spoke to one another and stared. They were between a state of shock at the sound and result of the rifle shot, also this warroir lying on the floor, still holding the broken shaft in his hand.

"Because I will kill the first man who takes a step to-wards us," I said addressing the whole assembly.

Another of them rose and addressed the group. "This is the warrior who killed the raiding party and killed all but two of our people. He sent two of our warriors back with shattered spear arms in disgrace, having removed there amulets."

"Yes! That is correct and did you get the message I told them to pass on?" I replied to him.

He rose again and answered me. "I have forbidden any further raids on that land; I couldn't do if I wanted too. You have killed all my best men. We now have many houses with grieving women."

"Good, how many homes have you destroyed in the villages you raided. Now you see how these people felt with losing loved ones," I replied.

Eastorhyld then rose and addressed the assembly she gave the conditions of the return of the Sacred Ornaments. "Lord Breoca commanded as he lay dying that all the hostages from Chally's wife's land have to be released. Only until then will the Sacred Ornaments be handed over. I swore to Lord Breoca that I would take this command to Dunstan and this would be done." This caused a stir among the group assembled, who talked among themselves. It was obvious that this wasn't a popular decision. Before long a youngish warrior stood and addressed us.

"Since the Lord Breoca has so ordered it, let it be so. Also since we have heard of your skill with the thunder weapon that kills from a great distance and the demonstration of its power here today, we pledge to never invade your lands again. We would also like to give our hand in friendship and welcome you to our forts at any time, any captives that I have will be returned," he then sat back down.

I thought that this lad would end up as a politician one day, with his gift of the gab. But I noticed the man who had had his spear shaft broken and one other of his friends were not in total agreement with the speakers sentiments. There are always one or two!

"When all of my wives people are off your lands I will pass the Sacred Ornaments over to Wiferth and Eastorhyld. I want no others to go with us. We accept your friendship and hope that from this day we will all live in peace," I told the assembly.

There was again a mumbling and the same character stood up again. "My name is Tatwine, the leader of the fort of Vortigen. You and your people will always welcome at our fort. We of fort Vortigen accept your terms. When do you wish to leave?"

It was the trigger for all the others to mutter agreement. Dunstan stood again. "I will get all your people assembled and you may leave at any time you wish. Safe conduct through our lands is given; no member of this clan will prevent your going."

"We will leave as soon as possible, but I would like rations for three days for each of your ex-hostages," I told them.

"That will be arranged, It you can wait I will have their bedding furs brought as well," Dunstan declared.

I turned to the glaring man who still held the broken spear in his hand. "And what would your name be sir," I enquired.

"I am Cadda, leader of the fort of Silures, slayer of men," he quickly replied.

I just had to rub it in. "Were they held down so you could slay them?"

Cadda, and other man who was standing beside him turned and stormed out of the building.

We left the building and when we got outside, I saw that all of Jane's people had been herded away from the others and were each being handed small packages. They were a sorry lot indeed and I could see that it would take longer to return than it did to get here. I also saw Cadda and a group of three others storming out the entrance.

Hild had run over and was holding her mother in her arms and crying, in fact both were crying like babies. When I looked at the group I could see that most of them were crying.

I recounted and there were twenty-five now in the group. One man and twenty-eight women, how was I going to manage? What Odds!

We waited for the bedding furs to be brought, but none of the other women came and spoke to the hostages that were waiting to leave. It was obvious that hostages made up the greater part of these forts. Why must man always resort to slavery, to fulfil his labour needs, it seems it has been happening throughout all of history.

Wiferth and Eastorhyld came and joined us after the bedding was brought from whatever fort the women had been held, they were ready to go. Wiferth would show us another route, which would take us to the first village in Jane's land.

Soon the rag ruffled group left the fort, but no-one bade any farewells. You would think that some friendships would have bloomed during the long period that they had been held. The group wound its way south for a bit and then turned east once again entering the woodlands. I was surprised at the pace we were setting. Maybe it was that they were afraid the Celts would change their minds and recall them, or they were eager to get out of their lands.

About an hour out of the fort Hild brought her mother up to me, who by their standards was old, but by present-day standards we would say she was in the prime of her life. Then she and introduced her. "Chally this is my mother Eadburg and she wishes to thank you for getting her away from these people," Hild said.

I looked down at this poorly dressed woman, who was obviously very happy to be free once more. "I gladly did it. When Hild told me you had been taken hostage, I told her I would do anything to free you. You have a wonderful daughter that I am proud to have as a wife."

"Wife?" She said.

OOPS! I don't think that Hild had told her about our relationship.

"Yes, she is my wife, so you are my mother too," I replied.

She then went all coy; I couldn't tell if she blushed with all the dirt on her face. She reached up and planted a kiss on my cheek. "Take care of my child; she seems to think a lot of you." I got most of what she said and I was improving every day with my Gaelic.

Marjorie, when she walked beside me had been teaching me in the language. She spoke it slightly different to Jane and Hild but she spoke it the way Brocea had spoken it.

In the early evening we arrived at the bank of a river. The river wasn't more than 20 feet wide, but was deep in the middle. The river was slow-moving for this part of the land was level with little drop-off. The banks on either side had a lush green coating of fine grasses, surrounded by trees; a path on the other side could be seen disappearing into the woods. It was this path which we were going to use, and this was the one to take us home. On both banks there were two points where access to the water was easy, similar to a ford. On the westerly side were three rafts, with long poles lying on top. Built I presume so the raiding parties could cross over on their way to loot and pillage.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.