P I And Magic - Cover

P I And Magic

Copyright© 2005 by Volentrin

Chapter 42

"These are the Gods and Goddesses of the world. There is Ishla, the Goddess of Nature. She is very powerful. Next is Arkvon, the God of Death. He is probably as powerful or almost as powerful as the Goddess of Nature. He is the opposite of the Goddess.

"Next is Shabasonti. She is the Goddess of Chaos. She too is very powerful, but is a most capricious being. Sometimes it seems she works against herself. Then is Natorza. He is the God of Order. He brings order and stability to the world. Finally is Pejoru, God of Magic. He, along with Shabsonti make the impossible possible.

"Each God, while very powerful, has a bit of the other Gods' powers in their own powers. They overlap each other's powers. It can be no other way. But the nature of their powers, dictate how we view them and choose them. Praying to a specific God or Goddess also enhances their power," Vostich explained.

He was telling me this in response to my asking about the Gods or rather, the pantheon of Gods in this world. I really had not paid that much attention to it before. I listened and looked with wonder at the now brightly glowing Temple, announcing to all that at least one God or Goddess had returned.

I asked how the temple was run. I was told a priest or priestess of each God and Goddess was present, of course. In the central hall of the temple, was a five-pointed star. At each point of the star was a sort of throne upon which the God or Goddess sat.

Each God or Goddess had their own section of the temple that seemed to be as large or small as they wished. It contained as much or as little as they desired. Now the big question was, what had changed that they were appearing now.

"Are you ready for your marriage to Mariel, Paul?" Vostich asked me.

I mentally changed gears. I had not been ready for this question. I really did not want to marry the child. True, historically on that other earth, woman and girls had married early. But still, it left me feeling like a child molester. I shuddered.

"If you wish this, I will do it. I must say it is unsettling to me to have to marry a child, though," I said a little grimly.

"I have looked into her, and she makes a good match for you. She is learning to control her powers quickly, and she will make you a credible bride and partner. This marriage need not be onerous," Vostich told me.

I nodded unhappily. I had resigned myself to this, but it still left a sour taste in my mouth.

"Mariel's fifteenth birthday approaches. In two weeks time she will reach the age of marriage. At that time, you will marry her. The ceremony will be held at the temple of the Gods. I suggest you make yourself ready," Vostich told me in a serious tone of voice.

We continued to look out over the city, and I marveled again at the brightly glowing temple. I was about to say something to Vostich when he teleported out. I sighed. I concentrated, and I teleported myself back to the palace. I tracked Vivian down, and asked her make arrangements for a tailor to come tomorrow. She looked at me, amused.

"This is for clothes for the wedding?" She asked me.

I nodded. "Got it in one. I am doomed to marry a child," I said sourly.

"Paul, don't let it get to you. Historically, in our own world, girls married early for centuries. It wasn't until the 20th century that it became popular to wait until the girls were older," she said sympathetically.

"I know," I sighed, "I just have a modern perception of what is right and what is wrong. It just seems very wrong for someone my age to marry someone so young," I replied flailing my arms in frustration.

A couple days later I got an idea. I had not really talked much with my bride to be. So I decided to have a small dinner that I would cook for her. I sent her a brief letter asking if she would care to dine with me in two days time.

She responded with a note saying she and Trayla would love to have dinner with me, and was looking forward to it with anticipation. Well, I had not really thought of having three for dinner, but what the hell.

I looked over my supplies, and decided on steaks, potato salad, vegetables, and Jello for desert. I had everything I needed except for the steaks. I sent a message to the cooks and told them I wanted three raw steaks cut one inch thick, with just a bit of fat on the edge, if possible.

So I cleared my calendar and made a feast. The Jello took just a bit of magic for the cooling and jelling to take effect. Everything was perfect. I spiced the steaks with hints, to give it flavor, and had some A-1 steak sauce out so I could let them experiment with it.

My guests arrived right on time. I let them in. Mariel was still cute, but her 15th birthday was around the corner, as was our marriage. Trayla grinned at me, and rushed in plopping herself into a chair at the table. I grinned at her.

"Trayla! Where are your manners!" Mariel exclaimed in a most appealing fashion.

"Oh, come off it. I met this guy before. He is more 'regular people', than anyone I have yet met in this palace," Trayla said.

It was amazing what this young waif was saying. She seemed to be a natural when it came to dealing with people. When I had first met her, she was in trouble but still feisty. Nothing had seemed to change.

I sat Mariel down and we ate. The meal was good. The potato salad was a hit, as well as the Jello. Nothing beats Cherry Jello if you ask me.

"That was a great meal, your Dukeness" Trayla said grinning.

"Trayla! Behave yourself! This is the Duke and you can't talk to him that way!"

I couldn't help it. I started laughing. It was a big huge belly laugh that I actually had been needing, for some time. Nothing releases tension like a good laugh. I guess my laughter set off the others, because soon we were all laughing.

Finally, getting control of myself, I got up and opened another Coke. I gave it to Trayla, and told her I needed to talk privately with Mariel for a while. She got up nodded, and gave me a look that spoke volumes.

I raised my eyebrows at her. She grinned and left Mariel and I alone.

"Mariel. I know we have not really talked much. We are going to be married, and I want to know how you feel about that," I asked her seriously.

"I have always known I would marry for reasons of state. I have to say, that you seem a much better person than I could have been required to marry," she said.

I felt like crying. Damn it! People should have a choice in marrying, and here was a young girl who didn't have the opportunity of dating, and doing the normal things a teenager should be doing. Of course, parents frowned on that stuff, but it was normal.

"Is something wrong? I did not mean to offend you," she said as she watched me.

My face must have reflected some of my thoughts.

"No, you have not offended me. I am just sorry that you are being forced to marry me. I was raised in a place where a young person like yourself would be going to school, worrying about boyfriends, who would take you to the prom," I stopped. She looked confused.

So we talked. Before I knew it, it was late. I really liked her. I just felt like a creep to be marrying someone so young. It was my problem, not hers. She was a very bright bubbly girl. Her brown hair had been artfully done for this dinner. Her blue eyes were easy to get lost in. Her Aura was soothing to see, and I could actually feel it.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.