To Know the Future
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2004 by MasterDavid

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 3 - Julia is alone in the world. Her parents are dead, her lover abandoned her when she became pregnant, and now her estranged older brother has committed suicide. When she finds his final message, a crazy scrawl that tells of a man with a machine that tells the future, she feels he must have been driven insane

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Science Fiction   Slow  

7

As Sarah returned to the stove to finish fixing brunch, the professor vigorously stirred together his concoction of eggs, gravy and biscuits, while Julia nibbled on a piece of bacon. Finished with his preparations, he again turned to regard Julia with serious eyes.

"I suppose I should explain just a bit about how all this..." he waved his fork in a circular motion, gesturing around the room, "... came about. You see, 28 years ago, I was part of a team of scientists recruited by the government for a fanciful project that went by the somewhat dubious title of 'The Wells Study.' As in H.G. Wells, author of, among other novels, The Time Machine. Someone apparently thought that, given the advances in quantum mechanics and physics research over the previous quarter century, perhaps the first serious efforts should be made to explore the true possibilities of time. Could the past or the future actually be seen? Is time travel possible? If it was theoretically but not technologically possible, what factors might make it possible in the future? These were the questions we were gathered together to try to answer.

"To make a long story shorter, we found promising leads that went nowhere, and theorized possible solutions that would need leaps ahead in technology before they could be implemented. However, before we were dispersed, one of the scientists - a Doctor Johnson, I believe - said that he had a theoretical model that he'd like to get everyone's input on. The good doctor was a physicist from Stanford, who had been working on delineating the particles of an atom using their linear accelerator. His presentation to the group was startling in its theoretical implications."

The professor reached over to take Julia's hand, smiling in sympathy. "I'm about to get into some unfortunately technical details, my dear, but I'll try to make them as simple to understand as I possibly can." He stared off into space for a few moments before speaking again. "There are many different types of atomic particle research, done at both linear accelerators - those which travel in a straight line to accelerate particles - and synchotrons, which accelerate particles in a circular path. It is a linear accelerator that we are concerned with here, the one in place at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, or, as it is more commonly known in the vernacular, the SLAC, or 'slack.'" He paused again, his eyes changing focus to look through her, his smile becoming even broader. "We used to make rather a lot of plays-on-words with that particular acronym... 'SLAC-ers, ' 'cut them some SLAC, etc, etc. I'm afraid that while particle physicists might be some of the smartest men in the world, their combined sense of humor will never approach the word 'sophisticated'... at least not in my own estimation.

"To continue... one way to try to determine the types of particles within an atom is called a 'fixed target' experiment, a staple of the linear accelerator. For instance, at the SLAC, they have a two-mile long accelerator. Think of it as the barrel of gun that stretches for two miles. At the start of an experiment, they create a large electromagnetic field that 'pushes' particles down the barrel of the accelerator, speeding them up to as high a velocity as possible. At the end of the barrel is a target, into which these particles are pushed. When the accelerated particles hit the target, the collision produces a large number of additional particles, which are then analyzed using a detector. In this way, particle physicists have studied and charted various reactions when accelerated particles have collided with various forms of matter, and have been able to map out a model of the atom that includes many, many more parts than just the proton, the neutron, and the electron."

He patted Julia's left hand as he continued. "Obviously, that's a very basic grounding in one aspect of particle experimentation, but this is not a lecture hall, and you are not a fledgling physicist. However, knowing such things will give you a better understanding of what Doctor Johnson discovered one night in the Stanford laboratory.

"The premise of Johnson's presentation to the Wells' scientists was quite shocking, because it went against many precepts of how to conduct research involving such unstable particles. He stood before us and said that, inadvertently, a human subject had been present inside the fixed target room during an actual linear accelerator experiment. In essence, that person became the target when the accelerated particles shot out of the barrel of accelerator, and the results of that collision were caught by the detectors in the room.

He interrupted his story as he felt Julia's hand tense beneath him. "Please don't worry, my dear... the unintended subject of the experiment suffered no physical damage from what happened. In fact, as far as I know, she still lives and works in California to this day. However, it was not the physical aspects of this case that caused Doctor Johnson to contribute his findings to our discussions.

"The good doctor presented a very detailed presentation, complete with snippets of film and notarized documents... a presentation that showed without a doubt that the subject who had been caught inside the fixed target room on that one occasion had been changed, presumably by the impact of the atomic particles.

"Prior to her experience in the linear accelerator, the subject showed absolutely no tendency toward precognitive ability, having taken a series of tests during her undergraduate years that supposedly measured such things. However, post-accelerator, that began to change.

"Doctor Johnson said that, soon after the experiment, the subject began to complain of repeated instances of déjà vu... as you know, the experience of feeling like a situation that you've experienced before is repeating itself. This in itself did not lead Johnson to any leaps of scientific intuition.

"However, the subject began exhibiting subtle signs of being able to predict specific outcomes to future events in which she had absolutely no interest... sporting events being the most prevalent example. After several instances in which the subject predicted the exact final score of a basketball game, or the final finishing order of a horse race, Johnson began having her write her predictions down in front of witnesses, then had the document sealed in an envelope, notarized, and held by a safety deposit box for which neither he nor the subject had a key. After the event was over, Johnson - accompanied by another student with an 8 mm film camera - would return to the bank where the prediction was housed, remove the envelope, and examine what was written, recording everything on film.

"Four out of every five predictions made by the subject exactly matched the final results of the event she had predicted.

"When asked, the subject told Johnson that the experience was akin to reading the next day's newspaper before it was published. She could clearly see story headlines, sports scores, even weather forecasts - only they were inside her head, and they were from one day in the future."

The professor paused to take a sip of juice before continuing. "Johnson thought that, if the subject was truly 'reading' the next day's paper, perhaps it would be best to see what would happen one day if she did not receive the newspaper at home, and was not allowed to read or see any news once that occurred. Thus, he asked the newspaper delivery man to simply pick a day - without giving him or the subject any advance notice - and not deliver the paper that morning.

"Thus it happened that, whereas the subject generally could make five to ten predictions on a normal day, on one particular day she made only one prediction, which Johnson dutifully sealed and took to the bank. The next day, the newspaper did not arrive, and Johnson took great pains to insure that the subject had no access to news in any form once that happened. That afternoon, the subject wrote seven predictions, which were sealed and notarized as usual. Johnson, accompanied by his film documentarian, placed these predictions in the safe deposit box, and removed the one envelope from the day before. On camera, you can see him smile slightly as he read what was written inside the envelope, which he then shows to the camera. In bold letters, the piece of paper reads, 'I DIDN'T GET MY NEWSPAPER TODAY!'... a statement which was not only a fulfilled prediction, it was also an indicator of how closely the subject's previous predictions were tied to her daily routine of newspaper reading."

The professor stopped talking as Sarah swept around the table, her frying pan in hand; she efficiently placed a good-sized portion of scrambled eggs on Julia's plate, then dumped the rest onto her own, retreating briefly to the kitchen to place the empty pan in the sink. He waited patiently until Sarah was seated beside him, and then moved to start talking again... until his wife interrupted him.

"Go ahead and eat, dear," the older woman said from across the table, a twinkle in her eye. "Having heard this tale before, I know it will last at least as long as it takes you to finish your breakfast... if not longer."

The professor harrumphed a bit at the slight barb from his wife, but winked at Julia even as he lifted his hand from hers. "Yes, my dear, you must be starved, and I can certainly talk while your mouth is full." As he grinned at his play on words, Julia had to muffle her own laughter when Sarah rolled her eyes without her husband seeing it.

As Julia picked up her fork, she realized that she was indeed hungry, and the nervousness and stress she had been feeling had drifted away as she had sat at the table. The combination of the professor's good-natured lecturing and Sarah's obvious desire to make her feel at home had worked wonders on her stomach, and she dug into the still-warm eggs with enthusiasm.

"As I was saying..." The professor picked up his own fork, but only toyed with what remained on his plate. "Johnson's presentation caused a stir among the other scientists, most of whom wondered if his results could be duplicated in some way other than putting a live human being at the end of a linear accelerator and watching the results.

"But I have to say that I felt that something was missing from his presentation. It bothered me that he did not say how this 'subject' got into the target chamber to begin with. More than that, I had the feeling that something was triggering the predictions being made by this unknown person... that there was some impetus or mechanism by which he - or, as we didn't find out until later, she - was causing the results of these future events to show up inside her mind. I became convinced that Johnson was not telling us everything he knew, and I was determined to find out exactly what was being left out. Luckily, the chance to do so came that very evening.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.