Tales from an Unknown Corner - Cover

Tales from an Unknown Corner

Copyright© 2003 by Dai_wakizashi

Chapter 55: The Ferry Trip

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 55: The Ferry Trip - Some men, men like you and I, take the same road home every night. Some men take the road less traveled. Some men take a wrong turn, and spend years lost in the cold, dark woods. Some men, if they're lucky, someday find their way home. A very lucky few may even meet angels on the way. This story starts very slowly in those woods. It's intimate and contemplative, with plot, characters and sex that will appeal to introspective readers and reward their patience. Be Patient! hint: ch-6, an angel?

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Mult   Consensual   Romantic   Lesbian   Heterosexual   Oral Sex   Anal Sex   Petting   Sex Toys   Slow  

Next morning, at half past five, we woke up to the sound of the alarm. Rolling away from Dana, I reached for the alarm clock, my fingers stumbling around, before they located it, and turned it off. I rolled back to Dana, spooning behind her, and ran my hand over her side to her hips, then to her belly, and finally up to her breasts, while kissing her back and shoulder, smelling the fragrance of her hair. She came awake and moaned her pleasure at my wandering hand. We lazed in bed for a while, and she turned to face me. We shared a short kiss, with morning breath and all, before she pushed me on my back and nestled to my side. We did a bit of mutual molesting, but kept it low key, which got our blood running. Eventually we were awake enough to get out of the bed. We took turns to attend to our morning ablutions, before we showered together.

I left her in the bathroom, heading for the living room to put the heater on, and then visited the kitchen to turn on the coffee machine. I ran back to the bathroom, shivering from my short excursion in the cold apartment, seeking the warmth of the bathroom. Noticing I had some stubble, I shaved and dabbed on a bit of aftershave. The alcohol burn finally woke me completely.

Back in the bedroom, I dressed with the clothes I had laid out last night: jeans, and a wool shirt. Dana was still in panties and a bra, putting on her make-up in front of her vanity. Before leaving the room, I leaned in to kiss her neck. She reached behind her, and clutched my neck, pulling me for a proper kiss—now that morning breath wasn't a consideration—and nuzzled my neck, inhaling my aftershave, before she released me.

The apartment was still cold, but warming up. The coffee was ready. I filled a cup and took it to Dana. While sipping my own coffee, I started on breakfast: sausages, scrambled eggs, honey, and buttered toast. As I was filling the plates Dana came in dressed in tight fitting jeans and a wool turtleneck sweater, and we sat down for a hearty breakfast. After the breakfast I got our cups filled with the last of the coffee and started a fresh batch, telling her I would pick up my thermos from the car and fill it for the ferry trip. I never liked the coffee they served on trains, boats, or airplanes, finding them tasteless and weak.

I took our suitcases down to the car, put them in the trunk, and picked up the thermos. It was still dark outside, cloudy, with a cold breeze. It almost looked like it would rain. For a moment, my mind went to...

For heaven's sake! Give me a break, will you? What's this shit every time I arrive at this city or leave? I don't wanna see any drop of rain!

Even though I felt ridiculous about the whole thing, and knew it was nothing but just some weird coincidence, I couldn't help but think if there was something else going on. It wasn't raining yet, and I hoped it wouldn't. On a whim, I opened the trunk again, took out the umbrella, and threw it in the back seat, before locking the car. I was hoping someone or something would take a hint, seeing me prepared for the eventuality.

Just like Murphy... when you're prepared, shit doesn't happen, and when you're not prepared, it happens!

I grinned internally at the thought, and it helped take my mind off other thoughts.

Back in the kitchen, I helped Dana with washing the dishes. By then, the coffee was ready and I filled the thermos. She did a round in the apartment; watering the plants, checking the windows, lights, and water taps, making sure everything was OK, and scribbled a short note, leaving it on the kitchen table.

Seeing my curious look, she said, "For Mom. She'll be dropping by during my absence; water the plants, check my mail, and such."

I checked my papers, and tickets, and grabbed my windbreaker, and she grabbed her small carry-on, her handbag, and her coat.

"I guess you'll need that," I commented nodding at the carry-on.

"A necessary accessory to our uniform," she replied.

Finally, we were ready to leave, and I felt my heart go a little bit faster, as it usually did just before a trip.


I managed to avoid traffic jams on the way to the harbor with Dana's invaluable help, and arrived about 45 minutes before the departure time. Despite the early hour, there was a queue; some twenty or so cars in front of us being directed to the lower deck (car-deck) of the ferry by the deckhands. I was a bit worried that we might not have a place for the car, since the ferry didn't look big enough for all the cars, and I didn't even know how many were already onboard. Seeing me nervous, Dana asked what the problem was, and I told her my concerns. She told me she would check it out, and stepped out of the car to talk to one of the deckhands. When she was back, she informed me that the car-deck wasn't even half-full. That news eased my apprehension considerably. I was still a bit antsy, a result of my growing impatience with the slow progress.

Outside, I could see the sky was heavily overcast, but no rain yet. Wanting to get the latest weather forecast, I turned on the radio, skipping the channels looking for a news broadcast. It was going to be overcast, windy, with choppy waters and spot showers. I groaned at the news of possible rain. I just hoped that we would miss the rain, but more important than that I was hoping the ferry ride would be smooth, despite the wind conditions and choppy water. It had been a long while since I took a ferry ride, and Dana mentioned it would be her first. I didn't want her to get seasick.

I noticed a deckhand signaling me to approach and he checked our tickets, before he asked me turn on my lights, and directed me to the car-deck. I followed his instructions, and followed the car in front of me. Inside the car-deck, another deckhand took over, signaling me. Finally, he signed me to stop. I turned off the engine and the lights, while he put wheel blocks on the front and back tires. Carefully, Dana and I got out of the car. The deckhand asked us to take our valuables with us before locking the car. Dana took her coat and handbag, while I took my windbreaker and the thermos, before locking the car. I noticed that the floor was covered with a green colored special coating, some kind of anti-slip, which helped answer my questions about how they could prevent the cars from slipping in case of rough weather. There were also rings welded on the floor to secure the cars via the tires, but probably they used them only when the weather was rough. Still, I asked the deckhand about it, but he just waved me away, pointing to the stairs to the main deck, before he hurried back to guide the next car. To tell the truth, I was irritated, and his offhand dismissal didn't do anything to alleviate my concerns, especially in case the weather changed. Despite the fact that I've come across 'it's OK, nothing will happen' attitude more often than not in most places, I never got used to it. Perhaps it was a direct result of working with strict procedures, and regular drills at the rig site. I knew I wouldn't get any proper response from the deckhand, and decided to look for an officer.

I steered us to the stairs. Climbing the stairs to the next deck, we entered the passenger saloon. Part of the saloon had rows of seats with aisles in between every three seats, forming several columns, arranged similar to the seating in an airplane. The next half consisted of a bar with stools in front of it, bolted to the floor, and small tables and chairs bolted to the floor to serve as a cafeteria/bar. Seeing no officers, I went to the bar and asked the bartender where I could locate one of the officers. He pointed me to the door that led to the deck, and when I turned to look, I saw an officer standing next to the railing, watching the activity on the lower deck. Thanking him, I seated Dana at a small table next to the panoramic window, but before I could leave, she grabbed my arm.

"Something the matter?" she asked.

"It's nothing. I want to talk to the officer," I said pointing at him standing right outside window.

"About?"

"Nothing important. Just curious," I replied.

"Mitch, you look tense. What's bothering you?" she insisted.

"I'm not tense. I'm just a bit irritated."

"With what?"

"It's nothing. Don't mind me."

"Don't mind you?" she asked pointedly, and I realized I couldn't evade the issue.

I sat down. "It's kind of a pet peeve of mine, OK?"

"O-K," she replied, and waited expectantly for me to explain.

"I want to check out something and put my mind at ease. There's this attitude that I have a little bit of a problem with. That of taking short cuts, risks, because doing something properly, following the correct procedure will take more time or effort."

"Are they doing something wrong?"

"Umm... not really... maybe... That's what I wanted to check out. May I?"

She nodded in understanding and patted my hand. "Go, talk with him," she said with a soft smile.

I stood up, and after giving her a peck on her cheek, I left for the passenger saloon.

The officer was watching the activity on the deck and the loading ramp where the cars were moving slowly in a queue. He was a young man, mid-30s, dressed in a neatly pressed, dark blue uniform. His face had the rugged look that was so common to people who spent their time on ships, tanned, deeply lined, especially around the eyes, from squinting against the blaring sun. After a polite greeting, I told him my concerns, emphasizing the weather forecast I heard on the radio, and the lack of response from the deckhand. He gave me a sympathetic smile, and told me they expected mild weather. Then, he used the walkie-talkie he had in his hand to contact the bridge, asking for weather information. I got the feeling that he was asking for the information for my benefit to assuage any fears I might have. I could hear the warbled conversation, but could hardly catch anything except a few words. When the report ended, he told me that today's weather conditions were going to be very mild.

"It's going to be a very smooth ride. We've hardly ever needed to secure the cars with tie-downs in the past," he added for good measure.

Feeling a bit self-conscious, and rather uncomfortable, I asked him about sudden changes in weather, which startled him.

"Actually, that's not a big concern, Mr.—I'm sorry, I didn't get your name," he said, giving me a measured look.

"Tanner. Mitchell Tanner."

"Well, Mr. Tanner, this is shallow water, and we don't really see rough weather in these waters. Is this your first time on a ferry?"

"No. Well, I took the Ro-Ro a few times in the past, but they operate over short distances, you know. So, I didn't give it much thought. But this isn't a Ro-Ro."

"I understand. Don't worry, Mr. Tanner. These waters are quite tame. Now, if we were talking about Aegean or Mediterranean, that would be another matter, especially in winter. The weather can turn very quickly. We have other vessels that go to various ports in Europe; Spain, France, Italy, and so on, but they still follow the shallow water routes. I personally recall only a handful occasions that we had to use the tie-downs for the vehicles in the car deck. Mostly, we change course to avoid the front. You're in safe hands, Mr. Tanner. We'll have smooth sailing today."

Satisfied, I thanked him. I stayed on the deck for a few minutes, watching the activity below the deck, and onshore, then walked around the deck looking at the evacuation boats, before my eyes caught sight of the boat layout diagram and evacuation plans on the wall. I took a few minutes inspecting the diagrams, mostly to get familiar with the layout of the boat, but also checked out the emergency exits, and compared them to the visual layout of the passenger saloon, and the deck. I spent some time reading the evacuation instructions carefully. When I finished reading, I turned the leave, and found the officer watching me. With a smile, he approached me.

"You're the first passenger I've seen paying attention to those," he said.

Feeling a bit self-conscious at being caught investigating the emergency evacuation plans, I said, "I wanted to familiarize myself with the layout. It's not that you didn't convince me. It's... well, it's something of a habit. Am I the first one to look at them or ask about the cars?"

He laughed. "Oh, no. Some people look at them, especially if they are curious or they get lost, but we hardly see anybody checking out the emergency procedures and instructions."

"I understand. As I said, it's mostly habit. I like to be ready for any eventuality."

"All our personnel are trained for emergencies," he offered.

"It's good to know," I replied. From the curious and puzzled look in his eyes, I knew he was trying to assuage any fears I might have. I decided to explain myself, and told him about the kind of work I do, mentioning the strict training and drills regularly we all went through at the rig-site.

I guess I must have answered the questions he had, because he nodded in understanding and with a small smile, he joked, "Since you're familiar with emergency situations, we might recruit you."

"I knew I missed my calling! I love the sea and the idea of a girl at each port is..." I joked which earned me a short laugh. "But I think I'd be more of a hindrance. I'd rather make sure I can follow the instructions from the trained professionals," I added and he nodded in appreciation of the compliment. "Besides, I think my girlfriend might fare better at it; she's a flight attendant," I said and turned in her direction where she sat behind the window watching us. Seeing us looking, she flashed a small smile and waved.

"Ahh, yes, of course. In an emergency keeping calm is very important, but I'm not telling you something you don't know already," he said. "We'll make sure it doesn't come to that. Please, enjoy the trip, Mr. Tanner."

"Thank you. Looking forward to it," I replied, before taking my leave.

I returned to the passenger saloon and took a seat next to Dana. I gave her a brief explanation of my conversation. I pointed the exits, and summarized the evacuation procedures, receiving an indulgent smile.

When I finished, she asked, "Do you always do this?"

"Do what?"

"Check out things like safety and emergency procedures?"

"I thought it would be a change for you, since you've been doing it for so long," I joked, trying to hide how self-conscious I felt at her question.

She chuckled, but she wasn't fooled by my efforts. "You know what I mean," she said.

"Well... It's kind of become second nature you know. I mean I don't always listen to the instructions when the flight attendants go through their demonstrations, because I'm familiar with the stuff anyway, since I fly frequently in same type of aircraft. I just... I don't know... I want to be in control when a situation arises, and I'd rather be prepared. I rely on my own..." I trailed off, suddenly realizing what I was saying.

"On your own resources, because you don't trust others," she finished my sentence for me, after several seconds.

"I didn't mean it like that," I retorted defensively. "I mean... yeah, I do have a problem with some people. I told you how I felt about certain attitudes. Some people are just plain lazy or ignorant. You point out possible problems, and they shrug and tell you 'it's in God's hands!' Right! And when the tragedy strikes, they chant, 'God's will!' I really do have a problem with that kind of mentality and attitude. Especially among the educated, trained professionals. God helps those who help themselves. Taking risks or cutting corners without any thought to possible consequences is nothing other than being stupid and asking for trouble. And I rather not let my loved ones and their lives in the hands of those idiots." Seeing the look on her face, I hastily added, "I thought you'd understand it. You're a trained professional. Would you let a drunken pilot at the controls or if he skips the preflight check?"

"Oh, I understand, Mitch. I wasn't criticizing. I didn't realize you felt so strongly about it or were so sensitive on the subject. I'm rather flattered that you're concerned about my well-being and safety. You don't need to apologize for that."

She held my gaze until she was convinced I understood her. Her words went a long way to put me at ease, and I tried to smile, although I wasn't sure how successful I was.

"Shall we go out on the deck and look around?" I asked. When she nodded, I put on my windbreaker, and helped her put on her coat after telling her it was chilly outside.

We walked the deck, circling the boat from one end to the other, and stopped at the back, watching the last few cars being guided over the ramp to the car-deck, and the rest of the ship crew preparing for getting the ferry to get underway. Finally, all the cars were in. The loading ramp was raised and locked in place. Then they released the ropes from the moorings, and coiled them on the lower deck. We could feel the vibration of the engines picking up speed, and saw the water start to churn. The horn blasted a few times, announcing the departure, and I checked my watch. It was 8:08 am. Slowly the ferry moved away from the pier. Once it cleared the breaks, it picked up speed.

The wind was cold on my back as the ferry moved further and further away. I moved behind Dana to block the wind, and we continued to watch the scenery. A few minutes later, we walked toward the front of the boat. Along the side, there were bulkheads with wooden benches for sitting and watching the view. The partitions reached all the way to the ceiling and sported large Plexiglas panes, offering shelter from most of the wind without cutting off the view. We walked past several bulkheads before we sat down. Dana snuggled to my side, and I put my arm around her shoulder, trying to keep her warm.

The harbor was located at the tip of a peninsula with an estuary to the northwest and it faced the mouth of the straight to the north. The ferry made its way out of the harbor on a northerly course heading towards the mouth of the strait for a short while, before it turned east and then to the south in a gentle arc until it was heading out to open sea.

During that short interval, in the distance, we caught a brief view of the anchor towers of the bridge rising up like sentinels on both sides of the straight. With the slight haze and against the backdrop of overcast sky, the main deck and the steel pylons were difficult to see; they looked like ghostly apparitions. The bridge misleadingly looked like a Lego construct. However, at the time it was completed some fifteen or more years ago, it was actually ranked as the fourth or fifth longest suspension bridge in the world. The deck hanging on steel cables was more than 1500 meters long, and the main span (the section between the gravity anchor towers) was just over 1000 meters. At night, with all the traffic and special lighting, it was a beautiful sight to behold.

Pity we won't pass beneath it. I would have liked to get a close view of it.

There was a lot of traffic in the straight. Some were headed north into the strait, and some were headed south, in our direction fanning out of the straight into open sea. Then there were the fishing boats, other ferries threading along or across the strait, but the majority of vessels were cargo ships and tankers. Close by we saw two cargo ships, one with Japanese markings, and the other bearing the Romanian flag. Both were in the process of disengaging from tugboats.

To their east, there was a huge tanker, looking stationary. Perhaps, it was holding position, awaiting permission to enter the strait, or waiting for a tugboat. Surprisingly, not all captains made use of the tugboats to navigate the strait, despite its busy traffic and treacherous undercurrents. And because of that, there had been quite a few incidents in the past. A few ships had come close to collision. Some got stranded in shallow waters under foggy conditions, pulled by the currents and variations in low and high tides that further complicated the situation, necessitating costly rescue operations. The most recent incident had been an empty tanker that hit the shore, causing extensive damage to the jetty of an old wooden villa; they had ended up paying a substantial sum of money for damages besides the penalties and the rescue costs.

As the ferry headed south, I returned to watching the estuary before it slipped from view behind the peninsula. Rich in history and colorful in its mix of people, it was perhaps my favorite part of the town. The peninsula and its immediate surroundings were where the city was first founded, and the estuary had been its heart and soul. Well known and named after its incredible color during sunset, it also held a very distinguished place in the pages of history.

My eyes took in the walls along the shoreline. Built centuries ago to protect the city against naval attacks and repaired countless times since then, they looked almost in pristine condition. Beyond visual range, to the west, stood another series of fortified walls and ditches. At one time upgraded to withstand cannon fire, they had served the city well and protected it against countless sieges over the centuries, but today, only parts of it remained; some of it in very good condition, some under restoration, and the rest either damaged or dismantled as the city outgrew its medieval boundaries. Another piece missing from view was the boom across the entrance to the estuary that had been used to prevent incursions by unwanted ships. For all purposes, the city had been impregnable.

Yeah, right! Talk about false sense of security!

Perhaps, I was being uncharacteristically unfair or subjective. After all, it had seen many sieges during its 1000 years of existence, only to be captured twice and retaken back each time. It was an impressive record. However, that record was finally broken. After a long siege from land and sea, and numerous attacks, the city had finally succumbed to the brilliant tactics of one man that surprised not only his enemies, but also the then-known part of the whole world.

Whoever heard of transporting ships over land?

As I recalled the history of the city, I looked at the estuary and tried to visualize how they managed to tow the ships across the land and into the estuary over greased logs.

Although the idea was copied from an earlier period, it was nevertheless a very ambitious and unconventional tactic. The sheer size and number of ships, and labor requirements should have made it a logistic nightmare, if not an impossibility. And yet, it was executed flawlessly. With ships in the estuary to attack the inner walls and weaken the overall defenses, the tactic would eventually prove fatal to the defenders. When the city finally fell, it hadn't just signaled the end of an old, declining empire; it had marked the ushering of a new era!

And what a crown jewel this city made for the new empire!

The magnificent beauty was all there to see, despite the encroachment of modern world laying siege to the old. It was widely visited, full of tourists from all over the world at any given time... people searching for the exotic, the mysterious, or the splendor of the past. Even today, it surprised me to no end to see the visitors go suddenly slack jawed with surprise or awe as they tried to absorb the grandeur of the riches displayed in the museums, or when they looked at the intricate, ornate architecture offering a taste of opulence seen only in a few select places around the world. To tell the truth, sometimes I felt awed just because I was breathing history by taking a stroll on a cobblestone street that changed very little for more than millennia.

As if to remind me to stop wandering in the dusty pages of history, the object of my musings—the estuary—slipped past from view, blocked by the eastern shore of the peninsula. To the south, it was open sea, and the ferry picked up more speed as it settled in its final course.

I took out my cigarette and lit one, offering and lighting another one for Dana as well. She asked if I wanted some coffee, but I declined; she looked like she needed it more than I did and we had only one cup—the screw-on cap of the thermos. It was quite cold outside, even though we were sheltered from much of the wind, both from the early morning wind as well as the speed at which the ferry was traveling. On this side of the boat—I have no clue about the real terms like starboard or port side, so I can't tell you which one is which—there were no passengers. Probably no one wanted to brave the cold wind, opting for the comfortable warmth of the passenger saloon.

I saw the same officer descending the stairs from the upper deck where the bridge was located. He took refuge in one of the bulkheads. I was wondering why he was outside, when I saw the smoke, and realized he just lit a cigarette.

I guess they aren't allowed to smoke on the bridge.

For a while, he watched the receding shoreline, before he scanned the deck and noticed us in the corner. He gave a quick nod in recognition, and returned to watching the scenery. Taking a final drag from his cigarette, he flicked it out to the sea. I watched him walk to us.

He briefly touched the brim of his hat. "Good morning, folks. Enjoying the scenery?"

"Yes," Dana answered. "Even though it's cold, it's nice. I think Mitch missed it more than I did."

"How long will it take?" I asked.

He checked his watch, and said, "We have about forty minutes to go. The passenger saloon is warm and quite comfortable."

"It didn't look crowded when we were inside. What's the capacity?" I asked.

"50 cars, and 200 passengers, but we could safely take on another 50 passengers. We have about 133 passengers right now. It's normal for a weekday," he replied. "If you'll excuse me, I'd better report to the bridge. Enjoy the trip." Then he was on his way to the bridge.

We sat there while I finished my cigarette and had a cup of coffee. It was cold, and I didn't want Dana to catch cold, so we went inside. I steered Dana to a quiet corner, telling her I would catch a catnap. She smiled and followed my example. We reclined our seats, and she snuggled, resting her head on my shoulder, after she put her handbag and the thermos between us. I didn't really sleep, but just closed my eyes and filtered out the hum of people around. The gentle rolling motion of the ferry helped along to rest my body. I was aware of Dana's presence, and I could sense she was more awake than I was.

It was probably half an hour later, when I started to pick up the slight increase in the general hubbub around us. When Dana started to move trying to avoid disturbing me, I realized we were probably close to our destination. I pulled myself out of my rest gradually, opened my eyes, and found Dana watching me.

"Did you really sleep?" she asked softly.

"I wasn't sleeping. A different kind of resting."

"Ah! I thought you were asleep."

"Nope. Now, I need some fresh air, and perhaps a cup of coffee, if we have time."

She nodded and grabbed her handbag. I pulled her to her feet, taking the thermos, and we went out to the deck. The cold wind helped wake me up immediately, as we walked to the front. The harbor was visible, not to far away, and the ferry was slowing down. I directed us to one of the bulkheads, out of the wind. Filling the cup, I shared it with Dana. We watched the ferry make its maneuvers into harbor, then to its designated pier. Then, the PA came on, announcing our approach to the harbor, and instructing the drivers of each vehicle to make their way to the car-deck. Quickly scanning the layout of the pier, I pointed at an out of the way spot, and told Dana to wait for me there.

"No need to go into the hassle of trying to get into the car, or waiting inside the car-deck. You can leave on foot, and I'll pick you up at that spot," I said, and she nodded her agreement.

I finished the last of my cup, and screwed the cap on the thermos, then we made our way into the passenger saloon. Dana moved to the exit point, while I made my way to the stairs. It was crowded on the stairs, and worse in the car-deck, people trying move between the cars, while drivers were trying to open the doors and get in their cars. So, I stayed by the stairs, until the herd settled down. The ferry had to be secured to the moors first, then the front loading ramp would be lowered onto the pier, and finally the deckhands would begin removing the wheel blocks from the cars, and direct the traffic out of the ferry onto the pier. A lot of things needed to be done before a single car could leave the ferry, which would take some time, so I wasn't worried or in a hurry. I looked around and saw Dana sitting in one of the seats near the edge of the room, close to the bar, while most of the passengers were grouped around the exit door, and out on the deck.

I felt the throb of the engines, and I knew the ferry was maneuvering to dock at the pier, so I made my way down the stairs. It was still chaotic on the car deck, and I saw the deckhands running from vehicle to vehicle, removing the wheel blocks, while drivers were either standing next to their car, or sitting inside. I walked around my car to see if some idiot hit it with something (like opening their car door carelessly), and checked for any signs of damage to the bodywork, as well as the lights and the tires. Satisfied, I unlocked the car, and stood on the side, out of the way of the deckhands, other passengers, or drivers.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.