Never Too Old to Be in Love - I - Cover

Never Too Old to Be in Love - I

Copyright© 2003 by Alison Whitehead

Chapter 27

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 27 - Despite the difference in their ages a widower finds love with his young neighbour, Elizabeth. After his death, she in turn finds happiness with a young man, Robert, who she meets when she knocks him off his motor-bike. When she knows she is dying she grooms a replacement. But Sarah is young and there are many problems in the restrictive English university of the 1970's where he is her tutor. Will Robert and Sarah find happiness? The matter is in doubt right up to the end.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   First  

The Same Night, Friday 11 June - [Janet - the Dean's wife]

Jim stood up when the bell rang and went to let him in. We had been waiting for Robert to come after he had telephoned.

I was nervous now that the moment had arrived. It had seemed so straightforward all those weeks ago when Elizabeth had come to see me. We had known each other for years and had often conspired together to manipulate our husbands as they rose through the college hierarchy to positions where their influence counted and needed guiding. This time it had been different. Elizabeth was dying and it was only with me that she could let go and let me see the bitterness and anger at her fate. She had confided her plan to me that bleak day in March. I had been appalled at what she planned to do, especially as the girl seemed a most unlikely candidate, but Elizabeth had been serenely confident in her judgment. She had even found out that Sarah Franklin had a crush on Robert. So, unwillingly, I had been drafted in to make sure her plan did not miscarry.

The two men came back in and Jim courteously held the door so that I could leave them once I had greeted Robert. I put my arms round Robert and hugged him. He at least had all my sympathy.

I sat down and Jim looked startled.

"I need to stay, with your permission, Robert," I said, looking at him and avoiding Jim's eye.

Robert was clearly nervous and keyed up but he nodded and looked at Jim.

Jim hesitated, mystified. But we had been together for so long that he trusted me to have both his and the college interest at heart. He closed the door and offered Robert a drink. Robert hesitated and then accepted a whisky. I knew he must be nervous because he rarely drank spirits.

I broke the embarrassed silence that was threatening to drag on.

"Tell us about Miss Franklin, Robert. We heard that she'd gone home. Is she better now?"

"I've just spent the day with her and her parents. Her dad's a mean snooker player," he replied, grinning and clearly grateful for the lead.

A good start, I thought. If her parents knew and approved then that was one of Jim's worries out of the way.

Robert looked at Jim and said, "I'm not going to try and conceal anything or make it seem better than it is. Sarah Franklin and I going to create a scandal for you I'm afraid."

He outlined the facts, scrupulously avoiding any of the advantages that Elizabeth had left him with.

When Robert had finished, Jim grunted and started in on his Dean-ly tirade. I let him put himself in the wrong for a while.

"This was exactly the sort of situation that the college chapter were worried about when they decided to admit women." He sighed, "I'm not going to go through all the arguments - you and I have been through them before when I thought you were on my side. You know that the rest of the University is looking at us - willing us to fail. And there is a big faction in the college that want women out too."

He looked at Robert puzzled. "You're the last person I'd have expected to do this. It's monstrous with your wife just dead that you should be carrying on with one of your students. She's a young vulnerable girl and you've really offered no explanation other than you took advantage of her."

Jim was suddenly exasperated by Robert's silence, "Robert - you're not helping me. I don't believe that this is what it seems, knowing you. But unless you'll give me some explanation I'm going to have no choice but to ask chapter to withdraw your Fellowship. I might be able to avoid sending Franklin down if you can tell me that she was not the - principal in this."

I could see tears in Robert's eyes as he struggled to sort his thoughts out. It was enough and I got up and went to kneel by Robert. I put my arm round him and kissed his forehead.

"You're too honourable for your own good," I told him.

I turned to my husband and warned him, "I'm afraid you're not going to like this but it's clear that Robert is just too decent to tell you. He can only explain by making Elizabeth look like Machiavelli and by blackmailing you."

"Janet, no!" Robert realised that I knew enough to spill the beans.

"Janet, yes!" I told him. "I know because Elizabeth told me everything. She knew you wouldn't be able to tell so she enlisted me. I can't say I approved but I'm beginning to think that she was right. And if I know then there's no reason for Jim not to know. Most of it needn't go beyond the three of us, but Jim has to know or he can't do what Elizabeth wanted."

Robert sat back with his head in his hands, "Jim," he said, "I really didn't want this. Perhaps it would be best if Sarah and I just left."

Jim looked a bit taken aback, "Both of you? There's no need for Franklin to go if you do."

"No! We have to be together," Robert was fierce now.

"Jim! Robert! Listen to me," I needed to get them in order.

"Robert, have you slept with this girl?" I asked.

"She's still a virgin," he replied and I was amused by his careful choice of words.

"You'll swear to that and she'll support you?" I prompted.

"Of course."

I looked at Jim who was now relaxed and smiling faintly. It was very nice to have a husband who trusted me implicitly. "Right, so there has been no technical immorality. Agreed?" Jim nodded, but Robert looked uncomfortable.

"The next thing that Robert hasn't told you about is the details of Elizabeth's will. Sarah Franklin shares half of Elizabeth's estate with Robert - without strings. And that is a lot of estate." I looked at Robert for confirmation. He nodded.

Jim's eyebrows were halfway up his forehead. "Are you telling me that Elizabeth set this up?"

"Not as coldly as you imply," I admonished, "She made sure that two people that she loved would find each other after she died. She was pretty sure that they were already strongly attracted."

"Sarah never had any doubts," Robert said, "and I don't either - not now. Jim - I will not leave that girl and she won't leave me."

"There's more," I said, "Do you want to tell or shall I?"

Robert shook his head.

"There is a bequest in Elizabeth's will for a new accommodation building for the college." I said.

Jim nodded - he knew about this.

"That bequest is dependent on Robert being a fellow of the college for the next two years." I went on remorselessly.

Jim blinked, "She can't do that."

"Can and has," I told him.

"Jim - I wouldn't enforce that condition - its just blackmail," Robert was anguished.

"It's not your choice, Robert," I told him, "If you aren't in post then the money for the bequest goes to Elizabeth's children - yes?"

He nodded and added, "Well, I'd provide the money in that case - I've got plenty. I wouldn't want to see the college suffer."

"You haven't got enough any more," I was beginning to enjoy this and I could see that Jim was too.

I went on, "Half your money belongs to Sarah now. Just think how it would look if the new building was funded by a sacked fellow and a rusticated student."

Jim put his hand up to stop me. "Let me summarise Elizabeth's devious strategy. One, you are not guilty of immorality and you have the girl's welfare at heart - how are you going to demonstrate that?"

"Well I can't marry her yet." Robert was hesitant.

"You certainly can't - I'm not going to have that kind of arrangement in college. You can be engaged, but no marriage and no children. OK?"

"I haven't asked her yet," Robert was suddenly struck with an omission.

"Well buy the girl a ring and get it done." Jim was being very unromantic.

Jim went on, "Two; You're suggesting that I discreetly let the Bursar know the condition of Elizabeth's bequest and invite him to condone Robert's philandering - because I'm assuming that you are intending to conduct immoral acts with this young woman."

I broke in, "Don't be so horrible. Of course they want to live together even if they can't marry yet. Just cast your mind back thirty-five years! And the girl is twenty for Heavens sake."

Jim looked fondly at me, remembering. "I wasn't being horrible, just putting myself in the shoes of Tom Buckley and the anti-progress league. They seem to believe that this is 1873 rather than 1973 and they have enough votes in chapter to make things very difficult."

This session was beginning to get out of control. I held my hand up, "I haven't finished yet. Elizabeth suggested that you should make your support for Robert conditional on three things - one that he runs the college finance committee for the Bursar and second that he lets his name go forward for the head of the History department."

Robert was firm, "No, absolutely not. I will not work with Buckley and I'm not going to make myself a laughing stock by letting my name go up for head of department."

Jim changed sides quickly, "Look Robert, I've been trying for months to get you to help out with the financial side of the college affairs. Tom's overwhelmed and you've had plenty of experience managing Elizabeth's affairs. She seemed to have more money than the College does - I've never understood where it all came from. Andrew wasn't a rich man and I'm damn sure you weren't when she married you. You could enlighten me some time. But it really isn't good enough for you to keep up this feud with him. I'll tell Tom that you will act as his deputy and take over all the boring stuff from him. He's an astronomer, not an accountant and I know he really does have work he wants to do. And you're to do it gracefully. He'll be friends if you offer him an olive branch. He may well be prepared to overlook your immorality."

Robert pulled a wry face, "And I'm a historian with work to do. All right. I'll do that for Sarah - but I will not apply for Miles' job. Never."

Jim was on top now and Robert had no chance. Elizabeth had picked the two issues closest to his heart and given him a potent weapon.

"That is not the point. As you well know Miles is happy to keep the Chair of Modern History but he wants out of running the department. You practically run it for him anyway. You'll do the job well and you'll love doing it. You'll be able to get your own way. And the college will gain the prestige. It'll put one over on the older foundations to have a big part of the department seniors here. I've done my share in medieval history. It's your turn now."

"No!" Robert was adamant, "I would never get the votes and I'm not qualified. There are holes in my scholarship that would be a perpetual embarrassment. I refuse."

"As before, that is not the point. I know that Elizabeth used to translate Latin for you - now you've got Franklin and she's a good medievalist. She can take over. But the department is modern history and your scholarship is not relevant. Your vision of where the department should be going, your teaching abilities and your ability to get the best out of the staff is what counts."

Robert was hesitant and Jim was kind enough to throw him a lifeline, "I don't suppose I should tell you this, but I've sounded out enough of the staff. There won't be any embarrassment. You've got a lot of people on your side. Anyway, I want you to do it. I'll let Miles know. Right, there we are. I think I've got just enough to convince the opposition, as long as you and Franklin agree to be discreet. Give me a week to sort it out."

"No. Monday. Or the deal's off." Jim was startled by this adamancy and so was I.

"Robert, give me a break. You know I need to have a word with a few people. What's the rush?"

"I've sort of promised Sarah - that things would be - resolved - by Monday."

"OK, you can tell her that things are resolved now. Just wait a bit before you do anything that might upset the opposition."

"No! Monday is important to Sarah. I've given her a bad time. Don't make me break a promise. Please."

"Jim," I was fascinated, but I had an agenda too, "Elizabeth suggested a third condition that you might like to impose. It might speed things up."

The two men stared at me, mouths gaping.

"Elizabeth suggested that Robert and Sarah might like to jointly sponsor a fellowship in radio astronomy."

The silence dragged on. They were baffled. I let them think about this until they admitted bafflement. There are times when it is good for the souls of intelligent men to be purged by the superior wisdom of women.

"What is Tom's discipline and abiding interest?"

"Well, he's an astronomer - has been for years." Jim said.

"That's a physical science, yes?"

"Of course," even Robert knew that.

"Physical sciences are significantly under-represented in this college?"

"That's the way it's turned out - yes," Jim was still baffled.

"So a new physical science fellowship would boost Tom's standing?"

"I suppose so. I think I've heard of radio astronomy, but... ?" Robert was equally baffled.

"Benjamin tells me it's a coming thing. Mullard have put a lot of money into the subject. You must have seen all those wire mushrooms out along the Bedford Road."

"And..." Jim was nearly there. Oh! What a wonderful thing to have a husband who trusts you - even when you are teasing him."

"Tom has a post-doc who is a star radio astronomer and needs a fellowship."

They looked at me for a long-stretched minute. Even Elizabeth had been reluctant to use this weapon.

"No!" said Robert.

"Yes!" said Jim, his face creased in a beatific smile. "Perfect! Could you afford it?"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.