Colonel's Diary
Chapter 1

Caution: This Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa, Historical,

Desc: Sex Story: Chapter 1 - An old diary that belonged to a Tennessee Colonel during the War Between The States is discovered. An historical adventure.

It had been some time since I recovered the old trunk from the attic of my mother's house. It was not long after the funeral when my brothers and I cleaned out the rest of her effects. We divided them somewhat evenly between us. My brother, who lived nearby, assumed the role of executor and put the house up for sale.

I stored most of the stuff from the attic in my garage and there it languished for about 6 months. Blame it on the new truck I bought last fall, but I realized I needed more room to get the thing in the garage. I resolved to sort through it with a view to taking it to the dump. That's when I discovered the old trunk.

It looked very old, about the size of a large suitcase, leather bound with some barely discerned intricate scrollwork. That's what caught my eye at first. I thought that if I cleaned it up a bit it might be worth something at the antique sale.

It was quite heavy and there might be some more goodies inside so I rang the local locksmith to help me to get it open. The old brass lock was frozen solid of course. It took him all afternoon to gently pry the thing open, he was careful not to damage the lock.

Inside was a pile of old yellowing papers, much of which was difficult to read. They looked to be old legal documents. On top of them was an old dusty, wide brimmed hat of indeterminate color. One side of the brim was pinned up to the crown with a brass pin. There looked to be the remains of a feather attached to the pin. Beside the hat was an old revolver with a long barrel. 'Wow, ' I thought, 'this should be worth something after it's cleaned up'.

I knew little about firearms but this looked to be very old. The metal had blackened but the makers mark was still quite clear, carved underneath the breech in relief. It read, 'Patent 1856. 109763. Samuel Colt Firearm Company. Springfield Ill.' On the reverse side was, 'Property of the US Government.' 'A Colt revolver from 1856. Real wild west stuff, ' I thought.

Further into the trunk I found an old sepia photograph. Three figures stiffly posed in front of their horses. On the left was a man dressed in a slouch hat and uniform with various belts slung across his chest. Over his shoulder he carried a long rifle. On the right a black man stood, wearing a wide hat and long coat. In the middle was a smiling man with a long black beard. On his head was a wide brim hat with the side pinned up. From there hung a long black plume. He wore a short officer's coat, festooned with braiding, high boots and hanging at the hip, a saber.

'This man must be my ancestor', I concluded. On the back of the photo were three names, Lt. Elijah Briggs, Col. Thomas MacFarlane, Samuel.

Digging deeper I came across an important looking document rolled into a scroll. The yellowed page read,


I General Nathaniel Bedford Forrest, OF THE, Independent Command of the Armed Forces of Tennessee, (Forrest Rangers) IN THE LATE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES, DO ACKNOWLEDGE AND COMMEND, Thomas Hugh MacFarlane, Colonel, OF THE, 3rd Tennessee Cavalry Regiment. AS A TRUE SON AND PATRIOT OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE AND THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA. Signed in Nashville Tennessee in the year of our lord 12th of December 1865.

Underneath this was an old leather bound book, dusty and cracked with age. Dampness had bound the first dozen pages tightly together so I carefully opened it to the first legible page.

On it was a careful copperplate script, beautifully floral in its execution. Successive entries appeared under dates suggesting it was a diary of some sort. I went inside into the lounge to begin reading. It was a funny feeling reading the words written by my ancestor nearly 140 years ago, it almost felt like eavesdropping, but I was compelled to read on, fascinated.

The top of the first page had faded. The first legible words were:

Lt. Dickinson departed soon after carrying important dispatches and the rest of the mail. It is a clear night with a full moon gleaming off the surface of the Mississippi. The horse's hooves are still wrapped in corduroy and cloth muffles the bridles and tackle. Occasionally we see steamers on the river, belching sparks.


Yankees spotted west of K--. Moved North following the trail through the swamps marked by Clr. Sgt. Wainwright, a native of the area.


I thought of Miss Emily and wondered if she is watching the same piece of night-sky. It seems years since I beheld her last and fortune willing I may be protected from harm and returned to her next fall.

(Illegible) 7th January 1863 10 miles south of Paducah on the junction of the Ohio and the Tennessee rivers.

A large federal force garrisons Paducah so we make a plan to find a crossing of the Ohio further east. It's fairly obvious to all that we are going into Illinois so I called the officers to a meeting. There I announce our destination and tell them our orders are to disrupt communications, annoy their commerce and raid the large federal depots known to dot the landscape in those parts. The boys were quite heartened by the news and are especially looking forward to some good Yankee beef. We have not had decent rations for three weeks.

10th January 1863. Somewhere up L... creek.

Sent Lt. Johnson and Clr. Sgt. Wainwright to find a suitable crossing while we found camp up L... creek. It is a most inhospitable place, thickly wooded, damp and freezing cold. We led our horses by their bridles as the nature of the foliage precluded us from mounting up. It took us much of the day to arrive at a little clearing where we could form a camp. I ordered lieutenants Harding and Samuels to post pickets out for a mile or more and stationed some men up trees so they can communicate to us any sightings of the Yankees. I trust we will not have to inhabit this god-forsaken patch of the earth for too long.

We are having some difficulty keeping the weapons in good condition because of the damp. We bundled the Springfield's in oilcloth to protect them and our men used their groundsheets to cover the ammunition. I was far too cold and wet to sleep and spent a miserable night.

12th January 1863. The same.

We have had no word from our scouts. God speed them to us or else we shall have to strike north without them.

14th January 1863. The same.

Good news, of sorts. The scouts have returned but the news is not good. The Ohio is at the winter high water mark and all the crossing places are well guarded on both banks. I have resolved to move out anyway and give orders to do so. I have a mind to swim the horses if we can find a wide place where the current is not so swift

. 18th January 1863 Illinois.

Crossed the Ohio just west of H... It took two days of labor to get the horses and men across. We eventually rigged a rope across on which we passed the carbines and ammunition. Unfortunately we lost Troopers Gordon and Price who were carried away with the current. I lament these losses, especially Price whom I knew all my life. He lived not far from Pine Estate towards Chattanooga. Sterling fellow, he will be missed greatly in the days ahead. God will welcome these men into his care.

20th January 1863 Illinois

I intend to burn the railway trestle near Harrisburg then move on to the ordinance depot nearby. I order scouts to reconnoiter the area and determine the enemy position and his state of readiness. The men are much buoyed by the prospect of action and spend all day cleaning and oiling their equipment to a peak of workability.


A sharp day's work. The trestle was guarded by a detachment of infantry and we fell on these with complete surprise. B Company 3rd Ten had the pleasure of leading the onset and soon put the Yankees to flight. I had them take position 500 yards down the Harrisburg road to forestall any interference from that direction while I put C Company and our little group of Engineers to work on the trestle. We found some pitch in a nearby workman's hut and we put this to good use. We soon had an impressive conflagration. A rattle of musketry signaled some foray from down the road but by the time we had reinforced the Company stationed there, the Yankees had retreated to some nearby hillocks. I ordered the Arkansas Roughriders to flank these people while B Company 3rd Ten occupied them from the front. We soon had them on the run thus enabling our approach to Harrisburg. The hour was passed, however, that we could launch an activity towards the depot so we decided to await the next day.

21 January 1863 Harrisburg Illinois.

I had a conference with my commanders this morning and decided that Harrisburg was now out of the question, given the probable hew and cry. I concluded that H... would now be fully on alert and we were too few in numbers to launch a successful raid in that direction. Therefore I resolved to skirt the town, leaving the railroad, and head north where we thought there would be softer pickings. Accordingly we broke camp this morning and proceeded on the line of a little stream called the Y... I sent 100 troopers on a brief feint towards H... in the hope the Yankees would still expect an attack on them. 22nd January 1863 Southern Illinois

We have arrived at a woodcutter's camp some thirty miles north of H... The woodsmen are most friendly towards us and there is much discourse. They tell us that a large contingent of infantry passed them the day before heading roughly south on the F... road. The federal force informed them that a large 'rebel' army was on the rampage and was probably heading into Kentucky to challenge the Union there. We thanked them for the information and hospitality and proceeded as if we were going to pursue it. After a mile or so we turned north again and struck for the Louisville-St Louis branch of the Central Illinois RR.

23rd January 1863 Same.

There occurred today an example of that superfluity of impetuosity that so characterizes the Southern cause. Johnson, sent on a scouting mission to determine whether any troops were quartered in the small settlement of W... leaves his mount and equipment outside of town and walks right through the place, posing as an itinerate woodsman. He then circles back through the woods to his horse and returns to confirm that W... is empty of soldiers. We then decide to add to the Yankee's uneasiness with an elaborate piece of theater. I gather my entire command in two columns and, flags and pennants flying we trot right into the settlement as if on a grand parade. The impact of a thousand horsemen entering this small town of some two dozen dwellings in full regalia caused much panic among the population. Outside the staging post flew the ensign of our enemies that we promptly changed for our own Stars and Bars. I then entrusted an elderly gent with the preservation of our flag in order to advise our comrades following that this place had already been incorporated into our territory. In the belief that a large Southern host had descended on them of which we were but an advance guard, we left W... , the only Confederate town in Illinois.

24th January 1863 12 miles south of Mt Vernon Ill.

Two copperheads by the name of Franks and Wilkes approached our camp on a small tributary of the Wabash River. They informed us that Rosecrans is moving north into Indiana with 50,000 US soldiers in the apparent belief General Johnson's entire army was outflanking him. Much as I would like to give credence to such information it seemed unlikely even General Rosecrans could be thus fooled. We left these men with the belief that we were part of a much larger host, however. Hopefully they will spread this fiction clear up to Springfield.

We are all tired of the constant marching and we desperately need some pause to attend to our horses and equipment. The woods are thin in this part of the State and our positions are not secure. Some light snow has been falling for the last few days, however shelter does not seem immediately forthcoming.

25th January 1863. The same place.

At the officers conference this morning we decide to 'take' another town. Clr Sgt. Wainwright has discovered a town of about 200 dwellings about 10 miles away. It appears to have good defensive positions as it lies on rising ground beside the O... river. I send B Company 3rd Ten with the engineers to cut the telegraph north and south and to reconnoiter the general area. A Company of 12 or so local Militia defends the town. It also contains a town hall with a federal army recruitment office. With whoops and hollers our troops take the town, surrounding it to ensure there are no messengers sent out. We have our shelter at last, but for how long? I know not.

I posted A Company 4th Ark as pickets. They were none too pleased as the believed the rest of the command would sort out the best billets for themselves leaving them with woodsheds and barns. I detailed Capt. Hanson to ensure sufficient accommodation was reserved for them. My aide, Lt. Briggs and servant Samuel found some reasonable rooms for me at a private house on the edge of town. The town hall we immediately requisitioned as our headquarters and ran up the Southern Cross flag. The Federal recruiters provided us with quantities of stationery and a few Sharpes Rifles. The recent inhabitant was the town mayor recently elevated to a full Sergeant in Union service. He exchanged his post for the small jail at the back of the Sheriff's office.

I then gave a speech to the assembled townsfolk, apologizing for the inconvenience and ensuring them that the Southern Armies now descending on this area would safeguard their lives and property. I imagine long after we've departed, the townspeople will be watching daily for the columns of marching southerners we told them would be arriving in our wake.

I retired to my rooms for some much needed rest, content that it would be a few days before there was any response to our activities from the Federal Army. I am quartered at the house of a young widow whose husband had fallen at Bull Run. I expressed my regret for her loss and wished a speedy end to this emergency so all loved ones could return to their kith and kin. I wondered whether Miss Emily would receive similarly bad news one day and hoped that, in such case, she did not give herself over to melancholy.

I reminded the men of the standing orders of our army to respect lives and property and threatened the severest penalties for any transgressions.

26th January 1863 Mount Frere Ill.

I spent a peaceful night at last. A soldier learns to ignore one's fears and discomforts for the blessed relief of a night's sleep. Outside there is much activity as the troopers attend to their tasks. Most are taking advantage of the pause to repair clothing and equipment and attend to the horses needs. There is much to do mending bridles and saddles, leatherwork and uniforms much abused over the last month. The town is well stocked with victuals and we purchase as much as we can with good Confederate currency. Lt. Briggs has obtained some good maps of the area from the surveyors records kept at the town hall. It confirms our belief that we are some 50 miles from the nearest Union garrison at Mt Vernon. The local forces hereabout seem given over to dispersing themselves around the country in small companies, guarding various strategic points. They would have been better served, I feel, concentrating themselves into an effective host.

A party of copperheads rode in about mid-morning with copies of the Mt Vernon Messenger a day or two old. These people seem to have better intelligence of our whereabouts than the Union Army. They want to join our enterprise so I offer them to Lt. Watson's command. A copy of the front page reads,


100,000 soldiers under General N B Forrest have invaded southern Illinois, burning bridges and capturing large stocks of Federal Ordinance. Sources from the front report that the population is in panic. Our outnumbered troops have been unable to stop their progress. Governor Fulton has assumed direct command of the State's forces and has appealed to President Lincoln to send a Federal Army to Illinois' relief.


Washington is in disarray, as a general invasion of the north seems imminent. Rebels armies have been reported to be on the move in all theaters. Rebel forces, also have been reported gathering in Canada preparatory to an adventure into New England.

These papers were distributed among the men and caused much mirth.

27th January 1863 Mount Frere Ill.

I can hardly bring myself to relate these events. I have the shame to admit that I have betrayed Miss Emily's trust. I can only hope that she will understand the strains of a long campaign deep in enemy territory. I hope that she appreciates that I am a man as well as a gentleman and thus flawed and given over to lust and other vices.

It was late last night after Briggs and Johnson and myself had shared a bottle of a not unpalatable whiskey. Feeling a little given over to drink I found myself in my hostess's boudoir. She was sitting in her bed reading by lamplight and calm as you please, pulls back the covers, inviting me to lie beside her. I should have retreated, surely a gentleman would have, but alas I accepted her invitation. She is a most comely young lady and her beauty did inflame my passion.

Not a word passed between us, was any necessary? I disposed of her night attire, having previously shed my own uniform, and beheld two perfect white bosoms. I lavished much praise on these with my tongue and hands and she became quite appreciative. She has the sweetest mouth, which I acquainted myself with as her rigid teats brushed my chest. My member was most urgently seeking her boiling nest and could not be denied. I spilled quite quickly in our first coupling but we were most anxious to repeat the exercise. We found that the manner of horses was a quite satisfactory method of union and the second time I was able to bring pleasure to the lady, as well as myself. She has a very comely set of buttocks, which wobbled in time to my thrusting. I found she particularly enjoyed the use of my fingers upon her mound of Venus and she gasped and hollered herself to a passionate conclusion.


Some more Copperhead friends found us this evening and informed us that Union troops were arriving by train not more than half a day's march away. I gave the order that we are to move out in one hour. I plan to ride east for the Wabash then north in the direction of Robinson. I then intend to circle west, somewhere to the north of Mount Vernon. It was not clear from our informants whether our pursuers were mounted but we must assume they will keep pace with us.

We have taken our leave of the townsfolk. There have been many passionate exchanges of regard between our troopers and the womenfolk of the town. Truly they took the soldiery of the South into their hearts and it gladdens me that our troopers have deported themselves so gallantly. I have taken my leave of my hostess with much regret for I have enjoyed her companionable hospitality.

28 January 1863. Somewhere along the Wabash river.

We have kept away from the highway as much as possible to disguise our movement from the Federals. We rode through the night and half the next day until we arrived at an isolated homestead. It appears to have been abandoned but the house and outbuildings are in reasonable repair. It lies in a substantial clearing in the forest, which affords our defensive purposes well. C Company 3rd Ten were detailed as pickets and fanned out into the forest, seeking suitable trees to lodge themselves. I sent Lt. Johnson and Clr. Sgt. Wainwright to reconnoiter towards the road. Wainwright returned about midday to report there was an Artillery Column and baggage train camped not far from our position. He reports that there was about 500 or so men including teamsters and Artillerymen accompanying it. I then decide to assail this host and call the officers together to give the necessary orders.


Because of the denseness of the forest around their camp I ordered the men to dismount and carry out the assault on foot. We were able to steal quite close to them before making the charge. The Arkansas boys were ordered to circle north of the camp while the entire 3rd Tennessee charged across the road. The Yankees were caught taking their victuals and were entirely unprepared. I would have their commander shot for criminal neglect if I had responsibility for him. There were no sentries posted and their arms were stacked in the middle of the camp. Consequently there was little resistance. Our men collected as many Sharpes Rifles as they could carry, but alas, we had to spike 10 good Parrott guns as we had no use for them. We gathered a few of their draft animals to carry the spoils back to our encampment. We afforded their dead with a decent Christian burial and lamented the loss of two of our own. We let the prisoners go on their own recognizance. I was much disturbed to learn this unit had crossed from Indiana. Perhaps the tale of Rosecrans moving north is true.

We took from the Yankees their cabinet and dispatches, all intact. Their orders read;

From: Lt. Gen. G Thomas

CO. 5th Brigade Army of the Tennessee

Western Theater of Operations

Armies of the United States of America.

To: Colonel O'Hara

CO. 1/12 Regiment of Field Artillery (Indiana)

Dear Sir,

You are ordered to dispatch 2 Batteries of Field Artillery with the weekly supply train to the Ordinance Depot at Mount Vernon Illinois. There you are to reinforce that position in the event of a Rebel adventure in that direction. I wish to draw your attention to recent intelligence dispatches, particularly ' Report of Rebel activity north of the Ohio' recently come to you. You may use your discretion in the sightings of your guns, paying particular attention to the south position, which is low-lying and affords opportunities for Cavalry attack. Proceed from Vincennes with the utmost haste. Your servant sir... G Thomas.

I called a meeting of my officers and resolved to make a play for Mt Vernon. I can't say I was overly enthusiastic about this enterprise but I allowed myself to be persuaded by the enthusiasm of our group. I thus gave the orders to move out and make haste by the speediest route in that direction.

30th January 1863 East of Mt Vernon Ill.

How should I relate the goings-on of the last 36 hours? The story seems impossible to retell in any detail. So much has happened since I last made an entry in this diary. I fear my command has been destroyed, oh poor fellows everyone. I only hope that a substantial party of survivors has made it to our meeting point without further injury, but I have moved too far ahead in my story.

As previously discussed we advanced on Mt Vernon from the East. We were but 8 miles away when we came to a little brook. There was about 200 yards of open ground before us before coming to some dense brushwood lining the aforementioned stream. About a third of the column had emerged from cover when the brush before us erupted in smoke and fire. Nothing leading to this point had impressed me as to the Union Army's tactical proficiency, but I must admit these fellows had learnt their craft well. If one is to be pedantic, I think perhaps they opened fire a little too soon. They were though, well concealed in the brush.

We quickly dismounted and I ordered the horses to be taken to the rear. We took cover best we could and began a spirited defensive fire. We made a fighting retreat back to the safety of the woods when there began a vigorous popping from somewhere to the rear of us. More Yankees were evidently in the woods behind us. From my command position beside a big oak tree I assembled some runners to carry to such of the officers they could find. I ordered them to make their way with their commands to our starting point and to make all efforts to ensure the enemy did not follow them.

With about a dozen Tennessee boys I probed forward to discover a way through the surrounding enemy. It wasn't long before we spotted movement in front of us and happened upon a small party of Yankees. A hand to hand struggle ensued of which I believe we got the better of it. I clubbed a couple of fellows, including a great bearded sergeant who took a little while to subdue. Briggs came to my rescue and pistol-whipped him to submission. The activity was too confused to relate in detail, but nevertheless Briggs and myself found ourselves crawling up a sunken creek bed. There was firing going on all around us but we managed to conceal ourselves sufficiently to make an escape.

We followed the creek until it was no longer negotiable. Then, tired and wet, we made our way through the woods in the rough direction from whence we had come. We were not more than a 100 yards from the road but, due to the density of the foliage, we were not discovered. We could occasionally hear much shouting and commotion and the drumming of hoofbeats from that direction. This led me to the conclusion our boys were putting up a stiff fight.

Some twenty minutes later all had quieted so Briggs and I made for the road in hopes of finding some riderless mounts on which to continue our journey. The silence now descended was quite incredible considering the events of the past hour. It wasn't long before we happened upon three horses peacefully grazing at the verge of the road. We caught their bridles and found their previous owners had stocked them well with provisions. I chose the bay gelding and Briggs the Palomino. In the saddle holster I found a shining US Colt 44, evidently the owner had not a chance to use it. I put this in my belt and slung my Springfield carbine over my shoulder. Briggs did the same with his Sharpes long rifle he preferred. The saddlebags were well stuffed with victuals and we blessed our luck for such a find. We took the other horse with us less we find other of our comrades and because good blooded stock are worth their weight in gold to a cavalryman.

It was a pitch-black night as we made our way south. We had gone not 5 miles when we heard the rumble of a great many hooves up ahead. We lit for the woods just in time as, what seemed like a whole brigade of Cavalry cantered along. In the still night they made a marvelous racket. I counted perhaps 3000 horse or more. Alas our small brigade had stumbled, seemingly, into an entire army. We allowed these Yankees to pass before we pressed on. We were fully on the alert for more Federal soldiers.

We made perhaps a dozen more detours to avoid troops as we continued on our way. It was nearing daybreak and we decided to find a hole to crawl into in the woods. With some difficulty we led the horses through the trees until we found a small clearing beside a stream. The day was clear and winter-warm and we were able to attend to our wet clothes. Some mending of our kit was necessary and lacking my servant, I had to bend to the task myself. We had a hearty meal of bacon, beef and biscuit and thus replenished our spirits. After our dinner Briggs goes and finds a tree overlooking the road. He waited there not more then a quarter of an hour when he spotted a lone rider in the uniform of a Yankee Lieutenant. Affording an excellent target, Briggs plucked the fellow out of his saddle with one shot. He turned out to be a Yankee dispatch rider and carried a velise-full of documents. One document read;

To; Officer Commanding Mount Vernon Ill.

From; General Headquarters Western Theater of Operations.

Our latest information's now conclude that General Forrest is still in Tennessee. The conclusion is that there is a detached brigade of his men at large in your area. This is believed to be General Mac Farlane's brigade of Tennessee and Arkansas Cavalry. They appear well equipped with Springfield Carbines and are all veterans. They could be described as the elite of their cavalry. However they number perhaps less then 2000 so I believe some scaling down of operations is necessary. I therefore have advised II Corps to move north from Harrisburg in the hopes we might catch them in a pincer movement. Accordingly I desire you to dispatch your Division south at the earliest convenience and perhaps we might dispose of these fellows.

Signed. Rosecrans, General.

So, I have been promoted General. Apart from my rank and an overestimation of our numbers, their intelligence seems remarkably accurate.

There was not time to ponder on recent events because we had to attend our immediate needs to avoid capture. Continuing our journey south, we encountered more of the enemy's cavalry. We thus decided to choose a more circuitous route, so we found ourselves in another twist of life's destiny. Encountering a little sidetrack that appeared to lead towards the river, we decided to investigate it. The track led us circuitously into a swamp. In the dark we quickly lost our way. Fate lent a hand, however, and Briggs noticed the smell of smoke.

It was nearly daybreak before we found the source, a little cabin by a stream. Intending to find directions, Briggs decided on a bold approach. It was his undoing. He marched up to the door and loudly rapped upon it,

"Open up, Army," He calls.

"Who is it"? Came a frightened female voice inside.

"Lieutenant Briggs from the army, Madam, we are looking for rebels."

"Well there's none here," replied the voice.

"We need to have a look, please." Briggs insisted.

"Just a minute," came the voice. I stood to one side, my Colt 44 in hand.

Eventually the door is unbolted and opened. There was a sudden flash and loud blast from inside and Briggs sailed backward, arms wide, to lie spread-eagled on the ground. I rushed at the doorway, knocked the shotgun aside, and slammed the heavy barrel of my Colt into the face of our assailant.

For the rest of this story, you need to Log In or Register

Story tagged with:
Ma/Fa / Historical /