Shadow on the Edge - Cover

Shadow on the Edge

Copyright© 2003 by Aeralyndal

Chapter 18

It was coming up on a year after the start of the Cate's Hole invasion when I got some interesting news. I contacted J.J. and Karuska to see if they wanted to assist. The three of us took leave and headed in system. My destination was St. Ives. I had been invited to speak to the graduating class at the Academy. While I was doing that the other two would be following up on the tip that I'd gotten.

I was met at the Spaceport by a Liaison Officer who escorted me through customs and took me to the Academy. He checked me into the Visiting Officers Quarters. I felt funny. Not many years ago I had been running around here as a Cadet and now I was back as a speaker. I wandered around looking over the place. It was an eerie feeling to be returning the salutes of instructors and cadets. Those that a short time before I had been the one initializing the salute. After looking over much of the Academy I finally made my way to the chapel and sat down at the rear of the sanctuary. I let the quiet and stillness wash over me and relaxed in the peace that I had always found in this place. While not deeply religious I still had always found something in the calm quiet of the place. Something that had helped with whatever crisis that was facing me. I sat there and let the turmoil and unrest that was still inside me slowly fade away.

As I was walking out and replacing my garrison cap I heard a voice behind me. "Still find answers in the quiet, Cadet Leofa?" I turned to face Major Barney McPherson, my old Battalion Commander. Without thinking I saluted. "No Mick. I salute you now, remember? I thought I taught you better. Colonels outrank Majors, remember?"

There were a few more wrinkles at his eyes and the corner of his mouth. His grin was just as big. He saluted and held out his hand. "When I couldn't find you at the VOQ I knew I could eventually find you here. Good to see you again, Colonel."

"Not really. I'm just Colonel until I return to my Battalion. Then I revert to Major. I've been on extended leave due to an injury and the rank doesn't revert until I'm fully returned."

We left the chapel and walked about the campus more. The Major pointed out a few changes since last I was here. We talked about some of the traditions of the Academy and all the things that people talk about when they haven't seen one another for any length of time. Barney, as he insisted I call him, told me the agenda for the next day. I made a few suggestions and we finalized it over dinner.

The next day I put on my dress uniform. Yes, Shadow now has uniforms and everything, just like a real Regiment. The uniform stresses function over appearance. It is full cut in gray with silver piping. I still had my Colonel's rank which was a gold circle with a double Cross of St. Andrews with the center filled in with gold also. There was a dress sidearm but most of us used our regular sidearms. For dress occasions it was pushed back over the kidney so it was out of the way. On my left shoulder was the Phantom patch, a black circle with a vague gray figure and red shining eyes. On the right shoulder was the Shadow patch, a gray circle with a darker shimmering figure also vague and indistinct with shining yellow eyes. We don't wear decorations or 'I was there' ribbons. It was a very trim uniform and looked impressive.

Barney escorted me to the rear of the chapel. It always seemed strange to me to address Cadets on war in a house of peace. He fed me coffee while I got more and more nervous. These weren't my soldiers. I didn't know what they wanted to hear. Finally the time had come and Barney stepped out to introduce me.

I heard him saying something about a returning Cadet and more about the record of my actions and then I heard him say "Colonel Michael Leofa". As I walked out there was a round of applause. It was half-hearted and not very enthusiastic. I can't say I blame them. I marched up to the podium and leaning forward bellowed, "Warriors". During my years here that was the routine answer we Cadets gave when assembled in a group.

That got some chuckles and more applause. "Now tell me, my wee darlings, has anyone seen me Haggis?" Laughter and hooting sounded louder as I cut my eyes over to Major McPherson. "And nothing out of you Major. As you reminded me yesterday, Colonels outrank mere Majors!" Now the rafters echoed with the laughs and hoots as I had dug the Major on two of his favorite expressions. They were at ease as I was one of them. I was more at ease as I was one of them.

"A few years ago I sat where you are and had to listen to some long winded, puss gutted, old geezer run off at the mouth and I made a vow. If I ever get to the place where I was the one up in front, I was not going to ramble on forever about the value of a paper clip in battle!" I had to stop and let the laughter die down. "I have been where you are and some day some of you will be where I am, in command. I command a Battalion of Mercenaries. To some of you that isn't much, but to those we protect it means a lot."

"Tomorrow some of you will graduate and go to your new assignments. Some of you will get lucky and get assigned as Lance Seconds behind some crusty old Sergeant with more hash marks than you have years. If you do, listen to him and he'll keep you alive. He'll teach you a lot of the little things that we aren't taught here."

"Recently I commanded a task force that went in to relieve a planet that had come under attack from the Duchy of Andurien. We took in four Lances of fighters and eleven Lances of Mechs. Do you know how much food to take with you for a force this size? Expecting to fight several battles, do you know how many spare parts to plan for? How many techs you take with you? How many vehicles it takes to move a force this size? How much small arms munitions, how much fuel for fighters, spare parts for the fighters? You will! If you command you will or you will not command for long."

"Listen to that crusty old NCO and he will keep you alive while you learn about a Lance and from a Lance about a Company and so on. Each has its own special problems. Each has its own special needs. When you can identify and handle those problems, when you can identify and fill those needs then you've learned something. One thing you'll learn is to look out for your troops. You'll pay attention to them when you are so tired you can't pay attention. You'll still do it because if you don't it can get you killed or worse it can get your men killed. And Cadets, any good commander can tell you about the nightmares you will have when that happens."

"I learned a lot in these hallowed halls. Trite expression that it is, it's also true. My main regret is that I didn't listen more to the feather headed, old blow hards in front of the class. And that's the nice names we called them. They've helped me stay alive to speak to you today. Hopefully what you learned from them will help you stay alive so that sometimes in the future you can return and speak to a later graduating class."

"This evening the Major and I'll have an informal dinner at the club. We'll then retire to the lounge for a drink or three. If any of you would care to join us I'll answer questions at that time."

I snapped to attention and saluted. "Major, they are yours." and I marched off. The applause had a little more steam in it this time. After dismissing the Cadets Barney came back to join me.

"Thanks Mick. It means more when it comes from someone who knows. Someone who has been there. Now let's get out of here."

We did and that evening after dinner it surprised me the number of Cadets and Instructors who had showed up in the lounge. We took drinks and moved into one of the larger meeting rooms off the lounge. Looking about I spoke up. "There are always rules to everything. As the ranking Officer present I get to set the rules. There is one - There is no rank tonight! Cadets can question Colonels and we can't hid behind our rank. If that doesn't sit well with some of you instructors would you please leave at this time. Cadets, that doesn't mean it's get even time. You've all learned to be Officers and Gentlemen. Conduct yourselves as such. With that let the questions begin." And boy did they!

I was pleased to see the instructors got into it also. Sessions like this show the Cadets that we're people also. It shows us that they aren't dummies just because they're lower in rank.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.