Barbara - Cover

Barbara

Copyright© By Morgan, 1994 - 2014. All Rights Reserved

Chapter 17

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 17 - Continues the Ali Clifford saga. The story begins six years after the ending of Cynthia Martin. Many of the characters are continued from earlier books.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Romantic  

John Callaway leaned back in his chair in his oak-paneled judicial chambers, took off his glasses and closed his eyes. His headache — an ever-present companion these days — had increased in intensity again. Although only fifty-four years old, Callaway had already retired as a justice of the California Court of Appeals for medical reasons. No one except his doctor and himself knew the reason: He was dying of cancer.

Complaining of headaches, he had gone to see his doctor almost a year earlier. After a series of tests failed to reveal any problem, a CAT scan was ordered. The look on his doctor's face when he entered John's hospital room showed instantly that there was a big problem. A needle biopsy later confirmed how big a problem it was: There was an inoperable malignant tumor growing at the base of his brain.

Subsequent CAT scans demonstrated how fast the tumor was growing and, as a result, pressing the brain up against his skull. It was this internal pressure that was causing his headaches. I guess it's a small thing, he thought. I guess headaches beat death. And yet, for him, death in the immediate future was a certainty. When he saw his doctor two days earlier the prognosis was less than three months to live — possibly much less.

Callaway thought of his daughter-in-law, Kelly, and his two beautiful granddaughters, Kirsten and Jamie. Then he almost cried thinking of his son, John, Jr., who had been killed in action as a fighter pilot in Kuwait. Although the war had been mercifully brief and Allied casualties were far lower than even the lowest advance forecasts, it was small consolation when his son — his only child — was one of them.

Kelly was herself an orphan and an only child. Because his wife had died years earlier, now John was — aside from her beautiful daughters — her only living relative. It was largely because of Kelly and his desire to try to build up the value of his estate for her that he had accepted the present special assignment in the Trial Department of the Superior Court for Los Angeles County to help clear up its enormous backlog of cases. As a retired appellate court judge he was given especially tough ones.

Putting on his glasses he opened the file in front of him and looked at it again. The case was The State of California vs. Barbara Conroy, et al. It had been initiated by the state Department of Instruction and contended that Barbara Conroy was operating a school without a license, was totally unqualified to teach, and then continued on and on in the same vein. He had not even bothered to count the number of complaints.

Callaway shook his head, closed the file, and put on his judicial robes. As the office clock read exactly ten o'clock, he opened the door from his chambers and entered the courtroom. He smiled inwardly as he heard the bailiff already completing his introduction. The bailiff knew that John was extraordinarily punctual so when a case was called for ten o'clock he knew that Callaway would appear on the stroke of the hour.

With a great effort of will the judge wiped the throbbing headache from his mind and turned his attention to the case at hand. After taking his seat, he looked around the oak-paneled courtroom paying particular attention to the people sitting at the plaintiff's and defendant's tables.

At the plaintiff's table he focused on the woman sitting between three people who were obviously lawyers for the Department of Instruction, and found that he disliked her on sight. Although she was standing for his entry into the courtroom — the bailiff had ordered, "All please rise" — he couldn't tell how tall she was because of her terrible posture and the way her body slumped, but he thought she was about five feet five. Guessing, he placed her age somewhere in the forties. Her figure appeared dumpy and she wore her nondescript-colored hair — mostly mousy gray — back in a severe bun. The woman's face reminded him of the blade of an axe and this impression was reinforced by her rimless eyeglasses coupled with the figure-hiding shapeless gray suit she was wearing.

Turning his attention to the defendant's table, his jaw almost dropped. Standing there was the most beautiful young woman he had ever seen in his life. Standing very erect, she was very tall and slim — Callaway guessed at least five feet eight. A deep golden tan was set off by the white sleeveless dress she was wearing that was tailored to her perfect figure. Even at his distance he could see that she had brilliant blue eyes that complemented her rich golden-blonde hair worn very short in a boy's haircut.

That woman would never be confused for a man in a million years! he thought. Aside from her brilliant blue eyes, the only element of color other than the gold of her body was the crimson red of her lips which was matched by the crimson of a necklace and bracelet she was wearing. Moreover, even her lip color appeared to be natural. He had a feeling that she was wearing no makeup of any kind, not even lipstick.

Standing beside her at the table were two of the most beautiful children he had ever seen. The little girl had emerald-green eyes with hair so blonde it was almost white. The small boy had hair and eyes like the woman's. When the bailiff announced that all could be seated, the judge was amazed to see the boy carefully hold the chair for the woman first and then for the girl. After seating the women he took his own seat. All then looked attentively at him.

The opening comments were made by an attorney for the state. Callaway tuned him out as he droned on, citing numerous rules and regulations by their technical definitions: article 121, section B, subsection (1) paragraphs (b), (d), and (e). Callaway almost went to sleep.

When the lawyer finished his seemingly interminable opening statement, the young woman at the defendant's table rose to her feet and approached the bench. "Your Honor," she said with a warm smile, "I am Barbara Bradley Conroy, the primary defendant in this case. Although I'm not completely certain — I tend to get lost in the educationists' tendentious verbiage — it seems that the complaint boils down to their contention that my pupils are not in an environment where learning can take place.

"Well, sir, I have here a package of tests published by the Educational Testing Service of Princeton, New Jersey. As you no doubt know, ETS also publishes the SATs, (Scholastic Aptitude Test) the LSATs (Law School Aptitude Test) and the BSATs (Business School Aptitude Test). I believe that its stature as a publisher of aptitude and achievement tests is unquestioned.

"Rather than go through a lengthy trial, why don't we just give a test to three of my pupils, along with Ms. Kramer — Callaway hid his grin behind his hand when he heard the young woman emphasize the word, Miz — who represents the state Department of Instruction and is sitting at the plaintiff's table, along with a couple of her attorneys. Why don't we see if my students have learned anything?"

Instantly there was an objection from the state's counsel. Listening to it Callaway realized that it boiled down to the fact that they did not know exactly which test was to be administered. When Mrs. Conroy answered the question, the objection was restated on the grounds that the test was not used in the state of California. Upon questioning, Kramer admitted that the test was regularly employed in forty-seven other states.

Mrs. Conroy then said that it was because the test was not used in California that she offered it. "I don't want to use a test with which Ms. Kramer might be completely familiar," she said. "Moreover," she continued, "the reason it's not used is that it is — by far — the most expensive test of its kind in use. The State doesn't feel like spending the money."

"That's an utterly absurd statement!" Roberta Kramer exclaimed. "That test has never been proven to be sufficiently superior to several others to warrant—"

"As I said, they don't want to spend the money," Bobbie repeated dryly. Again Callaway stifled a grin behind his hand. After overruling the objection and ordering the test to be administered, again Mrs. Conroy approached the bench.

"Your Honor," she said, "the packaging used for these tests is rather special. It is designed to be essentially tamper-proof. It is virtually impossible to open the envelope without leaving a sign of tampering. When I ordered the exams, I told the people at Princeton that I hoped to use them in the courtroom today.

"Accordingly, one of their security experts is standing by awaiting your call. He or she will talk you through the rather complex process of opening the test package to ensure that it has never been opened from the time it was packed up in Princeton. Would you care to retire to your chambers to make the call? We will pay for it, of course."

Callaway was both puzzled and curious. Accompanied by the people from both tables, he went back to his chambers and placed the call.

Following an elaborate procedure designed to ensure him that he was talking to the Educational Testing Service and to reassure them that they were speaking with a judge of the California Superior Court, he was connected with the man who had been awaiting his call.

Following his step-by-step directions, Callaway opened the outer envelope, then a triple-sealed inner envelope. He even verified the presence of a tiny multicolored thread that was around the tests and secured to the envelope itself. After verifying that it was intact he finally reached the test booklets, the accompanying answer sheets and the answer template.

When all preparations were complete, he looked up and found everyone looking at him. The judge was amazed at the difference in attitudes. The lawyers and Ms. Kramer were both defensive and upset. Mrs. Conroy and the two children all seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely. He did not visibly react when Mrs. Conroy gave him a wink and a quick grin as if to signify that the two of them were privy to a little joke.

As they were returning to the courtroom he asked the woman, "Mrs. Conroy, if you don't mind my asking, how old are you?"

"I'm nineteen, your Honor. I hope that doesn't get me in any more trouble." Then with another quick grin she added, "And everyone calls me Bobbie. I hope you will, too."

After ensuring that the state representatives were out of earshot he said softly, "No, it certainly does not get you into any trouble. And you are the most incredibly beautiful young woman it has ever been my good fortune to meet!" Only then did he notice and comment on the handmade nature of the crimson necklace she was wearing.

Bobbie smiled warmly and told him she had made it on her honeymoon from crimson coral she had gathered herself.

Looking at the children beside, her he added, "These two children are the most beautiful, most perfectly-behaved young people I have ever seen, as well." With a quick grin he said, "They're almost as beautiful as my granddaughters!"

The smile Bobbie gave him in reply almost melted him to the floor. "I'm sure you're justifiably proud!" she exclaimed in a whisper. Then in her normal voice she asked, "If we could take just a moment, could I introduce my pupils to you?" Callaway instantly agreed, so Bobbie said, "Your Honor, it is my pleasure to introduce Andrea Cartwright. Andy, this is Judge John Callaway."

Callaway almost fell over when the girl made a graceful and perfect curtsy, then said in the warmest, most beautiful voice he had ever heard, "Good morning, Judge Callaway. It is a privilege to meet you and to have you hearing our case." With that she extended her small hand.

Instead of shaking her hand Callaway dropped to one knee, took the little girl's hand and lightly kissed it. The little girl's eyes widened as she realized what he was doing.

Then he said softly, "Miss Cartwright, it is truly my pleasure." Giving in to an impulse, he took the girl into his arms and gave her a light kiss on the lips. At least it was intended to be light, but when he pulled her close, she wrapped her arms around his neck, kissed him and then worked her lips on his. Callaway held her tightly realizing that the incredible power of this little girl's kiss almost knocked him down.

He felt the most remarkable sensation of the purest love flowing from his lips throughout his body. Finally he released her and said softly, "I didn't know the half of it, did I? Young lady, you are unbelievable!" As he said it he realized that the girl's bright green eyes were locked on his in the most penetrating gaze he had ever seen. It was as if she was looking directly into his soul.

She continued to look into his eyes as Bobbie said, "Your honor, it is my pleasure to introduce Andrea's uncle, Kenneth Clifford. Kenny, this is Judge John Callaway." This time the judge was prepared when the little boy made a perfect bow and then extended his hand which the judge took in his. In spite of how small the boy's hand was, he still had a very firm grip.

"How do you do, Judge Callaway," the little boy said. "It is a great honor and privilege to meet you."

When the judge again dropped down on one knee, the little boy gave a little yelp and threw himself into the judge's outstretched arms. He, too, melted his lips against Callaway's and again the judge was almost knocked down by the power of the subsequent kiss. Regaining his feet, he realized that they were hidden from the courtroom by his bench and was glad of it.

As the children returned to the defendant's table he said, "Mrs. Conroy, doesn't one of the Beatitudes say, 'Blessed are the pure of heart?' Now I know what the phrase means. Those children are incredible — and a real tribute to you as a teacher."

"Thank you, Your Honor," Bobbie replied, "but it's not me. They are tributes to their loving parents and the upbringing they have received. The only thing I do is try not to undermine what their parents have done and are doing." Then with a warm smile she added, "Of course, when they kiss me I immediately think about the concept of Sanctifying Grace. They really are wonderful children, though."

With a quick smile she returned to her table while Callaway returned to the bench.

When he was again seated, he noticed Roberta Kramer was on her feet waiting to address him. As soon as he looked her way she said, "If we must put up with this ... this idiocy of testing, we insist that Mrs. Conroy herself be tested. After all, a part of our contention is that she is totally unqualified to teach."

When she looked at her, Bobbie said, "I have no problem with taking the test. In fact, Ms. Kramer is free to choose which of my pupils will participate, if she wishes." Kramer did not, so Bobbie designated Andy, Ken and Casey Jackson.

The little black girl beamed at being selected and came forward from the spectator seats. Without stopping at the table, she came around to the bench where Callaway spun his chair around to greet her. Casey was beautifully dressed in a brown-and-white striped pinafore. With her beautiful brown eyes, wavy brown hair and light milk-chocolate coloring she was beautiful.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.