Star Wars - The Tie Fighter
Chapter 5: A Dirty Little War

Copyright© 1999 by Walter Slaven

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 5: A Dirty Little War - An addition for the Star Wars Series

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Mult   Consensual   Science Fiction   Star Wars Sex Story, Science fiction sex story, Star Wars Adult Fiction, Star Wars Adult Fan Fiction

I suddenly had trouble breathing and my vision fogged up as waves of powerfully strong emotions crashed over me. Through the tears welling up in my eyes I reread the message several times to make sure that it was real. J'Una alive? Could it really be? Where the fuck was Tatooine anyway? I was so overcome that I became somewhat giddy and I think I even jumped up and down a little. Not what you'd expect from a veteran Imperial TIE fighter pilot, but there it is.

I must have made more noise than I thought because, when I turned around, there was Kao standing in the doorway to the bedroom. She had put on one of those black Imperial issue robes but hadn't belted it. It hung open in the front, exposing her breasts and crotch. Her red hair was wildly unkempt and stood out from her head like tongues of fire. She was still half asleep and was leaning against the doorframe.

As quickly as it had started, the euphoria inside me stopped. I suddenly realized that the relationship that was rapidly devel- oping between Kao and me grew, in part, out of the assump- tion that J'Una had been killed. Now that I had in my hand a message that said J'Una was very much alive, I was uncertain, and a little apprehensive as to what would happen next. I sud- denly remembered why I had never allowed myself to get too involved with females.

"What's going on, Vel?" Kao asked sleepily.

"You won't believe this," I said, handing her the data pad. Kao took it and I watched her as she read it. Her eyes grew wide with amazement, and a large smile broke out on her face. She looked up at me with tears of joy in her eyes.

"This is wonderful, Vel" she exclaimed, throwing her arms around me. I was a little surprised. I'm not sure what I ex- pected, but this wasn't it. I was relieved, however, that she seemed happy at the news. She pulled back and looked at me for a moment, then kissed me.

"You're not the only one who loves J'Una and misses her," she said softly. My raised eyebrow and obviously puzzled ex- pression elicited a smile.

"J'Una is a wonderful person and a fine officer," she said in a direct, almost scolding tone. "The fact that she is apparently not dead makes me very happy." She paused, looking intently at me. Then her eyes brightened and she actually giggled.

"Did you think," she said between giggles, "that I would be- come jealous, or that this news would somehow create fric- tion? Is that what you thought?"

I didn't say anything, but my expression must have given me away. Kao broke out in laughter and kissed me on the cheek.

"You silly, silly man," she said, still laughing. "You men all think that everything revolves around you. That you're the center of the universe." She laughed again. "I've grown very fond of you recently, Vel," she said, the laughter finally giving way, at least temporarily, to seriousness. "But I know what J'Una meant to you, and what the thought of her dying did to you. What you don't know," she said and her eyes twinkled again,"was what she meant to me. We were developing a very close relation- ship and I'll be very glad to have the chance to resume it."

'Very close relationship'? Now I was thoroughly confused. I wasn't at all sure what she was telling me, but at least she seemed pleased by the turn of events. I smiled at her and shook my head.

"I guess I didn't realize that you and she had become so close," I said.

"That," she said as she kissed me and snaked her hand under my robe and grabbed my cock, " is because you're a man."

I quickly tried to come up with a suitable rejoinder but Kao was kissing me and running her tongue inside my mouth while she grabbed my cock with both hands and began stroking it to life. I forgot all about a witty reply as I slipped my hands inside her robe and fondled her breasts, the nipples already hard with arousal.

We pulled each other's robes off and sank to the floor right in the middle of the room. Our hands were all over each other and our tongues battled as we kissed deeply. Kao was a wonderful woman and a great fuck, but the news that J'Una was alive somehow stimulated me in a way that I hadn't be- fore experienced. My cock was painfully hard and I went at Kao with little of the soft, tender approach that had charac- terized our first union. For her part, Kao returned the frenzy. Apparently she was as excitied by the prospect of seeing J'Una again as I was. She tore at my back with her finger- nails while I bit and sucked roughly on her tits, both of us moaning, yearning for a release.

Kao scissored her legs around my back and reached be- tween our thrashing bodies to grab my cock. She jerked it hard several times and I nearly shot into her hand. She placed the tip against the entrance to her cunt and pulled me into her. She was like a cauldron inside and I gasped at the heat that engulfed me.

We rolled over on the deck so that she was on top of me. I grabbed her breasts and squeezed them as she began a slow thrusting motion, impaling herself on me. Her movements didn't stay slow for very long. We were both too hot, too out of control with lust for that. I'm not sure if our frenzy was caused by our desire for each other, or that we were each thinking of J'Una, or simply a longing for release from the stresses of incessant warfare. Maybe it was all three. In any case, neither of us was concerned with gentle foreplay. We slammed into each other with an intensity that was almost painful.

I continued to manhandle Kao's tits, squeezing them hard and pinching the nipples as she rode me. Her head was thrown back in ecstacy, her long red hair draping over my upraised knees like a soft fur rug. After several more sav- age thrusts, Kao let out a sharp cry and flung herself for- ward onto me, her breasts in my face, her hair flowing over me and onto the deck. I took a nipple into my mouth and bit on it, sending a shock wave through her that ended with another hard downward thrust onto my cock. She shudder- ed and moaned and I could feel her orgasm flowing out from the depths of her cunt and onto my cock and balls. She flooded us with her juices, smearing our thighs and my belly. The force of her orgasm nearly overwhelmed her and she buried her face in my neck, moaning and weeping.

"That is so good, Vel," she gasped into my ear. "So fucking good." She wriggled around on my cock.

I grabbed her hips and thrust into her with renewed vigor, my own climax fast approaching. Kao sat up and began thrusting back down on me again, wanting to give me pleasure also. I didn't have long to wait until I felt the cum boiling within my balls. She smiled down at me as she re- cognized the signs of my impending orgasm.

"Let it go," she cooed softly at me.

I didn't need much more encouragement. I gave another powerful upward thrust, lifting her off the deck, impaling her completely as my prick shot blast after blast of cum into her. I groaned with the effort. My cock finished spewing its load and we collapsed together in a heap in the middle of the room. We fell asleep that way.

"Many of you may have heard by now," Commander Cibock said at the next morning's briefing, "that Commander Selena, our former Operations Officer, was not onboard the Death Star at the time of its destruction."

Several officers applauded. All were smiling and the supply officer, who was sitting behind me, clapped me on the shoul- der. J'Una had been very popular among GUSTAV's crew, and highly respected by her fellow officers. It was good to see that they cared about her. Kao smiled at me and squee- zed my hand.

"Commander Selena is presently at a place called Tatooine," Cibock continued. A holographic map appeared near the front of the room showing a dry, desert looking planet orbiting a binary star system.

"Several other Death Star personnel, "Cibock said,"are also at Tatooine. It seems that Commander Selena was assisting in the establishment of a permanent and extensive Imperial installation on that planet."

Several officers exchanged questioning looks. What did we need an installation there for?

Commander Cibock sensed the questions and moved im mediately to answer them.

"I do not have all of the details yet," he said,"but it appears that Tatooine has harbored Rebel sympathizers for some time and that several spies transported the plans for the Death Star through Mos Eisley, Tatooine's spaceport. Commander Selena was conducting a follow-up investigation when the Death Star was destroyed. As a result, Tatooine is being secured as a major base to support operations in the surrounding sectors."

Major Maarek, our stormtrooper commander nodded in satisfaction. "That'll teach the treacherous scum," he said.

Commander Cibock looked sternly at the major but said no- thing in response. "We are being diverted to Tatooine," he went on. "A shipment of replacement TIE fighters along with some new pilots has arrived. They were originally meant to be transported to the Death Star."

Diverted to Tatooine? I would get to see J'Una again? So much sooner than I would have expected. Kao and I smiled at each other. I knew she was just as happy about it as I was.

"Once we arrive," Cibock continued,"we will take the TIEs aboard and immediately commence integrating the new pilots." He nodded at Kao and me. "Captains Tallig and Ijuf will ensure that these new pilots are ready for future assignment."

"Yes, sir," I responded.

"Upon arrival we will receive new instructions from an Imperial Special Envoy at the new Tatooine installation." Seeing our puzzled expressions Cibock smiled. "I don't know what an 'Imperial Special Envoy' is, either." He shrugged. "I guess we'll find out together." And he left the room as we all stood to attention.

Kao and I looked at each other as the other officers filed out.

"It will be great to see J'Una again so soon," she said with a smile. "I'll bet she's had quite an exciting time."

"No doubt," I said. "Knowing J'Una."

Kao laughed. "What are you implying, captain?" she asked, her voice rising musically.

"Only that J'Una has always had the ability to insert herself into the middle of things," I replied, smiling back at her.

"And get things inserted into her?" Kao asked, teasing me. Her eyes were bright, and her smile had broadened.

"That, too," I said, chuckling. "You must remember that she's a Bardin."

"Horny or not," Kao said, still smiling, "it'll be good to see her again. Do you think she'll be transferred back aboard GUSTAV?"

"I don't really know, Kao," I replied. "It would depend on what they have her doing on Tatooine. She may be heavily involved in setting up the new base there."

Kao grew serious. Her brow furrowed, the smile disappeared. "Is it true, Val?"

"Is what true?" I was somewhat taken aback by her abrupt change of mood. Unlike J'Una, whose mood could change from moment to moment, Kao was far from being mercurial.

"Is it true what I hear about what happens when we occupy a planet?"

"Surely you know what goes on, Kao," I said, somewhat flabbergasted at her display of apparent naivete.

She averted my gaze. "I guess I never paid much attention. I just flew my missions and killed Rebels."

I just stared at her for a moment. This side of her was completely uncharted territory. "If you don't know, Kao, it's because you didn't want to know."

"Maybe," she said softly, then raised her gaze to meet mine. "But I want to know now. I want you to tell me."

"What do you think happens, Kao?" I asked rhetorically. My voice had started to rise and I had to tell myself to lower it. "What do you think happens when the Empire takes over a planet that has shown the slightest sympathy to the Rebellion? You were at Resead, dammit.[see pt 3] Didn't you see the shuttles transporting the leaders and their families and anyone who might cause trouble off the planet? Where did you think they were taking those people? They're all on a prison planet. Or dead."

I paused. Kao was staring at me. "You want to know what else usually happens?" I went on. "A military governor takes over. Whatever personal freedoms the inhabitants once had are gone. Stormtroopers are everywhere, and they get the people to start spying on each other. All of the planet's resources are taken to support the Empire's war efforts. In short, life becomes pretty unpleasant. And that," I said finishing, "is what happens to a system that had supported the Rebellion. It happened on Resead, and it's probably happening on Tatooine. Hell, my homeworld of Kuan isn't in a whole lot better shape, and we welcomed the Empire in."

Kao snorted sarcastically. "I thought the Rebels were the bad guys," she said.

"They're no better," I said. "They're just as capable of using people or exploiting worlds for their own agenda. My experience tells me that in a war like this one, the lines between good guys and bad guys often get blurred and confused."

Kao shook her head. "Is this what we're really about, Vel?"

"It's what the Emperor's about," I said grimly. "And he's in charge."

>From a geosynchronous orbit high above the planet's surface Tatooine looked like a big, dirty brown ball. There was very little surface water visible, and large brown clouds, which were in fact enormous dust storms, roamed the planet's surface. Mos Eisley spaceport was the only visible sign that the planet was inhabited. There were, we knew, other settle- ments scattered around the planet, but they were too small to be seen from this height.

GUSTAV had entered orbit above Mos Eisley and one of the first things I noticed was the traffic. Imperial freighters and transports of all shapes and sizes were maneuvering into and out of the spaceport. From several ships that were just too large to land at the spaceport an endless stream of shuttles flowed back and forth, offloading and delivering cargo. Among those were several large assault transports delivering more stormtroopers. The occupation of Tatooine, and its conversion to an advanced Imperial base, was evidently well underway.

I was standing to one side on the bridge, gazing out of the large observation windows as Commander Cibock and his bridge team completed the maneuvers that placed GUSTAV in her assigned orbit.

"Quite a lot of activity, eh, Captain?" Commander Cibock was standing behind me, looking out of the window as well. I turned around.

"Yes, sir," I agreed. "Looks like we're serious here."

"It would appear so, " Cibock replied smiling. "I suppose the Empire is in dire need of another desert planet," he continued sarcastically.

I was a little taken aback, hearing such sarcasm directed at Imperial activities by the Commanding Officer of an Imperial Starship. But, I had served with Commander Cibock long enough to know that he was a competent and loyal officer, if a bit outspokenly skeptical at times. It occurred to me that perhaps the recent death of his son aboard the Death Star might have jaded him a little more.

I smiled at his attempt at humor. "It doesn't look very inviting, does it, sir?"

Cibock shrugged. "No, but we're here," he said quietly. "And, unfortunately for the people of Tatooine, we'll be here for a long time." He turned away abruptly and addressed the Deck Officer. "Is the shuttle ready to take Captains Tallig and Ijuf and myself down to the surface?"

"Yes, sir," he replied. "Your shuttle is ready to depart at your convenience."

"Very well," Cibock said. "Ask Captain Ijuf to meet us in the shuttle bay. I want to depart immediately."

"Yes, sir," the Deck Officer responded and turned away to carry out Cibock's instructions. Cibock nodded toward the turbolift doors. "Let's go, captain," he said and headed off the bridge. I fell in step with him.

Less than ten minutes later, having been joined in the hangar bay by Kao, we boarded our shuttle and departed at once. The shuttle pilot darted and weaved his way through the freight- er traffic in a long looping spiral down toward Mos Eisley. As the detail of the city emerged, Mos Eisley began to resemble an egg that had been hurled against a wall. It was spread out all over the place in an apparently random and unplanned manner. The spaceport itself dominated the city's central sec- tion, with numerous webs of streets and alleys weaving a sinuous pattern outward from the facility. The new con- struction needed to support an Imperial base could also be seen. These new installations were going up near the space- port and, as we got closer, we could see piles of rubble from previously existing structures that had been demolished to make room for them. Yes, I thought to myself, the Empire has arrived in force.

The spaceport appeared primitive by modern Imperial standards and had obviously not been designed to handle the current volume of traffic. The pilot gently set us down in an open air docking bay and opened the main hatch to the passenger compartment. Instantly, we were nearly overwhelmed by the planet's intense heat. As we stepped out of the shuttle, it felt like we were walking into a blast furnace. Dressed as we were in our heavy Imperial uniforms, all three of us broke out in a sweat. The two suns were directly overhead hammering us as we walked across the docking bay toward the squad of stormtroopers who were waiting for us. I don't know how they managed to survive in that heavy armor that they wore. I guess it must have been because storm- troopers were such well conditioned and exceptionally tough bastards. I also think that they were too fearful of their superiors to allow themselves to be affected by heat or cold or anything else.

The squad leader stepped forward and saluted Commander Cibock. "Welcome to Tatooine, sir," he said briskly. "The Special Envoy and Commander Selena are waiting for you." He turned and led us into a new and hurriedly constructed headquarters building, the rest of the troopers falling in behind us. I was grateful to get out of the sun.

The trooper led us through a maze of hallways and down two flights of stairs. Obviously, the headquarters' nerve center was below ground. It got cooler and more comfortable as we de- scended. There was a great deal of activity as personnel hurried about, and construction workers, assisted by droids, mounted equipment and strung communications cable.

The trooper finally came to a stop before a large set of double blast doors. He activated the comm link and announced our arrival. He stepped aside as the door slid open noiselessly.

The room, obviously a command office, was huge. It had been so hurriedly constructed that the rock out of which it was cut was still visible in several places where wall covering had yet to be applied. Comm screens were hung haphazardly and computer equipment was stacked along the sides. At the far end was an enormous desk. And standing next to the desk, tall, black, beautiful and sexy, was J'Una. She was smiling broadly at me and I felt relief surge through me, followed immediately by joy, then, inevitably, arousal. I wanted to dash across the room, take her in my arms and fuck her brains out. She always did have that effect on me. But, Imperial etiquette prevailed and I merely smiled back and nodded a wordless hello. I glanced at Kao, who was smiling broadly, as well.

There were three other people standing with J'Una around the desk on the far side of the room. At the end of the desk opposite from J'Una stood two men. One was middle aged with graying hair, fierce blue eyes, stocky build and was wearing the uniform of a stormtrooper general. The other was very tall, very big and very blonde. His shoulders were broad, his hands were huge and his biceps were massive. He wore two blasters strapped to his hips and stood with his arms folded, leaning casually against the wall.

Easily the most dominating presence, however, was that of the woman standing behind the desk. She was only of average height, but she was exceptionally well proportioned with beauti- ful sloping hips, a firm round ass and large upsweeping breasts. She had short black hair that neatly framed her face, dark eyes, very red lips and finely chiseled features that stood out in stark relief. Her demeanor was one of a person who is used to being in charge, used to being deferred to, used to being important. Her eyes seemed to glow with the intensity of a person on a mission. She wore a simple black tunic with dark grey trousers. In contrast to J'Una and the general, she wore no medals or decorations or any rank insignia. Though hers was the least impressive presence physically, it was immediately obvious that she was in charge and that the others, including the gen- eral, deferred to her.

"Welcome to Tatooine, Commander Cibock," the woman said as she gestured, somewhat imperiously I thought, for us to cross the room and approach the desk.

"I am Marta Emoh," the woman said, "Special Envoy to the Imperial Staff." She paused a moment to let the importance of her title sink in. I had never paid much attention to Imperial politics, and was not easily impressed by titles or rank, but I instantly caught the significance of what she said. So, too, did Commander Cibock. The 'Imperial Staff', as opposed to Imperial Headquarters, was the Emperor's personal organi- zation, which was apart from the Imperial Navy. It also placed itself outside the military's sphere of authority. This had often caused friction. There were rumors of a 'secret order, ' of which the Emperor and Vader were the founding members, and which pledged undying loyalty and allegiance to the Em- peror personally. I had no first hand knowledge of such a 'secret order' but it wouldn't have surprised me.

Marta continued with the introductions. She waved a hand toward the general. "This is General Koss," she said. "General Koss is the Commanding General of this installation. It is his job," she continued, her voice suddenly turning cold, "to get this installation fully operational on schedule and to con- tinue the extermination of Rebel sympathizers." Koss shot her a quick glance, but said nothing. Instead, he turned and welcomed Commander Cibock.

"I believe you all already know Commander Selena," Marta said with a smile.

"It's good to see you safe, Commander," Cibock said warmly. "When we heard about the Death Star, we feared the worst."

J'Una smiled, and was about to say something, but Marta inter- jected. "No time for sorrows, Commander. There is much to be done." She paused, and smiled.

"Commander Selena and I and a few others," she said smoothly, "had been sent here by Grand Moff Tarkin to begin preparations for this base. At that time I was the Grand Moff's Chief Assistant." For a moment I thought her eyes were starting to tear up, but she quickly regained her imperial air.

Casting a quick glance at the blonde giant in the corner Marta said, "And this is Tomba, my assistant." The way she said assistant made it clear to me that he was her muscle, to be used when she needed to exert some force. Judging from his physique and the way she had looked at him I figured he probably used some muscle on her from time to time. Marta definitely im- pressed me as someone you didn't fuck with, unless she want- ed you to fuck with her.

Marta sat down behind the desk. As there were no other chairs in the room, the rest of us remained standing, which is probably what she had had in mind. It helped to reaffirm her superior status.

"Now, Commander," Marta said briskly, "let's discuss your orders."

Cibock nodded, but said nothing.

"Since the cowardly attack by the Rebels on the Death Star," she continued, "we have been pursuing those responsible. What you must understand is that although Yavin was a principle Rebel base, it was not the only one. There are many other Rebel cells who, along with their allies, have become emboldened by the Death Star's destruction. Lord Vader has amassed an enormous fleet to pursue the Yavin Rebels. Unfortunately, this has left us with painfully few assets elsewhere." She paused, and leaned back in her chair.

"We have received disturbing reports that a group of pirates, supported and supplied by the Rebels, have begun operating out of the Pakuuni system. A primary trade artery runs through Pakuuni and on to Mylok IV, a major Imperial industrial base. These pirates have become quite bold, and unfortunately quite successful, in raiding our commerce vessels. We have been unable to counter them due to commitments elsewhere." She smiled grimly. "Even the Empire has its limits, Commander."

"Yes, Special Envoy," Cibock agreed deferentially. "What are the orders for GUSTAV?"

"There are two full squadrons of replacement TIE fighters here at Tatooine," she began. "They were meant to be transported to the Death Star. Take aboard as many as you can fit in GUSTAV's hangars. It will be crowded, but you will need as much firepower as you can get."

Cibock nodded, but I could see a questioning look on his face. Why was it necessary for a 'Special Envoy' to issue what looked to be routine patrol orders? We could just as easily have re- ceived the orders by message, taken the replacements onboard, and headed out.

"Once that's done," Marta continued, "we will proceed directly to the Pakuuni system." WE? Kao and I exchanged questioning looks, and Commander Cibock's puzzled expression was not lost on the Special Envoy.

"Yes, Commander," she said smoothly, responding to the un- asked question. "I will be accompanying you. And Commander Selena will be reassigned to GUSTAV, at least temporarily." A surge of joy rushed through me and I looked over at J'Una and smiled. She smiled back warmly.

"Her tactical abilities," Marta continued, "were remarked on frequently by Grand Moff Tarkin, who held her in very high regard. Our mission is to smash the pirates and their Rebel friends and establish a permanent, enduring Imperial presence."

"Yes, Special Envoy," Commander Cibock replied. "But isn't that a rather large task for one frigate with a few squadrons of TIEs and a couple of companies of stormtroopers?"

Marta stood up and walked around the desk until she was standing directly in front of us.

"Oh, we'll have help, Commander," she said vaguely in a voice that held out the prospect of sinister things to come.

Obviously, there was more going on here than merely nailing some pirates, but Commander Cibock remained silent.

Marta Emoh paused for what seemed to be a long time. Then, she raised an eyebrow. "Doesn't Admiral Haarkov's daughter serve aboard your vessel, Commander?" she asked. Even some- one as politically unaware as I could quickly make the connection. She was after Admiral Haarkov. What that had to do with us and our assignment I hadn't a clue. I assumed that the reports that Commander Cibock had sent in regarding the admiral's activities during the Sepan operation [see pt 4] were the catalyst for this development.

Instantly I was afraid for Marina Haarkov. I was sure that she was unaware of her father's "questionable" activities, but it was also clear to me that this Marta Emoh had a game plan, and that Marina would play a part in it.

Commander Cibock must have been thinking the same thing because he stiffened noticeably.

"Ensign Haarkov is one of our leading maintenance officers," Cibock said slowly, measuring his words. "She has an exemplary record."

Marta smiled at him. "I'm sure that she does, Commander," she said. She turned and moved back behind the desk and sat down. Abruptly, she turned to J'Una.

"Commander," she said as she waved her hand imperiously toward Kao and me, "perhaps you could show the captains around for a few minutes. Commander Cibock, the general and I have a few more things to discuss." She didn't mention her 'assistant', and he wasn't moving from his position against the wall, so I assumed it was understood that he was staying.

"Of course," J'Una replied, then motioned Kao and me to exit through the same double blast doors through which we had entered.

Once we were outside and the heavy doors had slammed shut, J'Una and I flew into each other's arms, our lips meeting in an intense, almost savage kiss. It's amazing the emotions that come over you when you see someone after getting used to the idea that they're dead. J'Una grabbed me in her powerful arms and slammed me against the wall, her tongue probing deeply into my mouth. For a few moments we forgot where we were, forgot Imperial decorum, lost in our mutual longing.

Suddenly, almost as one, we remembered Kao, who was standing there looking at us, a wry smile on her face. J'Una and I broke apart, grinning sheepishly like a couple of schoolkids who had been caught necking by their parents.

"It's alright," Kao said softly. "In fact, I feel like doing the same." And she stepped up to J'Una and placed a gentle, soft kiss on her lips. J'Una returned the kiss hungrily and it was obvious to me that this wasn't the first time they'd kissed like this. Kao broke away and stepped back.

"Well, Commander," she said in mock deference, "aren't you going to show us around?"

J'Una laughed. "There really isn't much to see around here," she said. "Everything's a mess, what with all the construction going on." As if to validate her statement several base personnel, their uniforms wrinkled and dusty, hurried past accompanied by two droids carrying heavy construction materials. J'Una followed them with her eyes as they disappeared down the passageway. She stared after them, then her face brightened, her red eyes lit up and she turned to us with that wide, beaming smile of hers.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.