11 June 2008
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2018 by Mustang

The final forty sat in a room adjacent to the stage for the long wait. Heads were bowed and hands gripped tightly during those long, anxious minutes. Abby was a bundle of nervous energy. She held Brad’s hand tight, rubbing her palm over his hand.

“Thank you, Brad; it means the world to me that you are here with me.”

“You are so incredibly beautiful and talented. I should be the one thanking you. I’m glad you had me try out for Idol. I love you,” he replied, kissing her.


The camera centred on Ben Mulroney, saying, “It’s time for the competitors to learn their fate. Each one is about to go in front of the judges to find out if their Canadian idol dream is over or if their next stop is the top twenty-two.”

“Alright, the judges are ready, and they want to see ... Mark Day,” he pointed to him. Mark received supportive cheers and applause from most of the competitors.

Another camera would show Mark and other contestants walking across the darkened room, lit by large stone-like squares on the floor.

Mark re-entered the room, his hands covering his face. He broke down in emotional tears, going to his knees. The air was filled with appreciative cheers and applause for him.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the first member of the top twenty-two,” Ben gestured with his hands.

Slowly, the contestants, numbering one to three at a time, were called before the judges. It was difficult for a moment to tell tears of joy from tears of sadness. Some yelled out, ‘I made it!’ Then they cried in relief. Others shook their heads as tears streamed down their cheeks. Their Idol dreams were over.

In the theatre, the judges would explain the reasoning behind their decision to let a person go or move on to the next round.


Abby was keeping track of the numbers going through to the next round. She had counted to fifteen. Finally, it was Abby and Brad’s turn. They stood hand in hand in front of the four judges to hear their fate.

“Abby and Brad, during your group performance, I remarked to Farley, ‘So much for age-appropriate song choice.’ I can see that you clearly love each other, and it showed in your performances. You may be young, at sixteen years old, but act so mature. I could sense the sexual energy between you; well done,” Sass complimented. “And your final solo song was so good!”

Zack was next, “Brad, I’m glad you decided not to play an instrument during the groups. Your voice has such a unique sound and blends very well with Abby’s. Not only did you sing a lovely duet, you performed it with a little acting to bring the song to life. Abby, I could listen to that sweet-sounding voice of yours all day long.”

“You both are so confident when you sing. Canada would be missing out on one or two good singers if you didn’t make the top twenty-two,” Jake teased. “Brad, I’m not so sure if playing hockey is your true calling. By the way, congratulations to you and the Belleville Falcons for winning the Memorial Cup.”

“Thank you; we have a fantastic team.”

“Several male singers have a raspy voice, but yours I’d instantly recognize. Kudos for singing a Burton Cummings song; I’d love to hear you do the full version.”

Brad and Abby looked to Farley, “Brad, you play the guitar and keyboard with such confidence; you rarely look at your hands, and Abby, your voice is so crystal clear. It seems strange that for someone who wasn’t going to compete in Canadian Idol, you have Abby to thank. Congratulations! You’re both in the top twenty-two!”

Abby and Brad hugged, then thanked the judges several times, trying to control their reactions. In the waiting room, they burst into yells of happiness. They received congratulations from those who are also going on and those waiting to hear their news.

Ben entered the waiting room with only two contestants remaining. “Alright, guys. Paul, you’re up. Jessie, you too,” he gestured. “The same two competitors who were eliminated at this point last season are called in to hear from the judges.”

Jake spoke to them, “We already have our top twenty-two, so welcome to the top twenty-four!” They hugged and cried, relieved to not be going home.

As the camera recorded everyone congratulating the other, Ben remarked, “Take a good look at these twenty-four people, Canada. One of them, with your help, will be the next Canadian Idol!”

The top twenty-four for Canadian Idol, Season 6, were set!

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.