War Maidens - Cover

War Maidens

Copyright© 2018 by Lapi

Chapter 1

A young man, a Prince of his Realm was to lead an army this day. Time being of an essence, bade him to travel through lands that were unknown to him but were the source of dire warning from any he encountered on the way. To him, to take that way he saw his journey being reduced by a fortnight or more; with his army reaching the rebels much sooner than any might expect. Such a boon was well worth the risks and any price he would have to pay.

Ah, such is both the gift and the curse of youth. He could succeed in his quest but, as all things hoped and wished for there would be a dear price to pay, learn things he would rather not know, take much longer than he expected and require somethings to be done that he would no longer have under his command. Some things were unexpected, some were discovered truths and somethings would not able to be done alone.

During the last 100 plus years there were many trials that he and the family had to endure so far in this war. First his grand father and then later his father had fought these same rebels for countless years with little success in bringing about their surrender. It was less than ten years ago that The Lands had seemed secured and a peace accord reached. That had required forces from both Uncles as well as those of his father. It had also left his father battered and weakened to the point he seemed unable to even govern his old lands.

His son, Regan, now twenty, had been sent to quash a new rebellion starting there. This time he would remain as its King and rule so no rebel movement would form again. At least that was the thought. Like we all know, any plan is by virtue of being only a plan, is going to be subject to change. In this case who is to say if those many changes to come were good or bad.

He felt he was prepared. He had twice the amount of supplies called for. Each mounted knight had a string of horse if needed, in addition, every front-line foot was armour clad and fully trained in sword or spear. Bowmen, slinger and light cavalry would protect the flanks while scouts and advance troops would insure a safe camp for each night. In reserve were his most heavily armoured knights (Cataphracts). Heavily armoured in this case meant both horse and man were armour clad for battle.

In all he would have near 20,000 troops. Saving that extra time with the shorter route through The Land meant a bolstering effect on his men. To him it was worth any risk; outweighed alone by the surprise on the enemy when they were soundly defeated, so went the plan.

When he had presented the plan, he had been counseled not to attempt travel through the ‘Dark Lands’ since that was a name given to what had never been explored or were mapped. At least any who attempted passage there had never returned. Undaunted, all rebuffs failing, the advisers insisted that carried in carts, wagons and engines made for siege be limited to what mules and oxen could carry on their backs instead, for it was expected there not be many roads. They were correct. There were no roads through the ‘Dark Lands’.

Even at this time, men of knowledge and learning recognized that unless man learned from the past and adapted to change he would be doomed to merely repeat things. Regan wished not for another century of rebellions and failures. He then had extra mules, oxen and additional horses mustered where his lands ended and the ‘Dark’ places would begin. Until he would reach the woods he intended to use carts and wagons as well as increasing the amounts of both men and supplies needed for the campaign. In traversing this strange land, he would show not only temperance but make certain no permanent harm be done to any creature, woods or inhabitants during the march. This place was not the enemy; he merely wanted to shorten the distance he must travel.

For unknown reasons the transfer of goods was not without its own trials and miscues. The livestock were without saddles, blankets or packs. The food and supplies were in bulk and sitting loose in back of carts and wagons. There was no way to right this; supposedly it was done in an effort to comply with Regan’s hastily made requests where little thought was given to what his intent might be. To any soldier, even today, such events were the expected of any regular army. (A FUBAR) The delay getting things right placed even more reason on Regan to make haste and use the forest for a shortcut.

In this, even more failures were discovered to thwart that desire. There was no path or access where all his forces would be able to travel together. Men on horse would, by necessity be delayed less roads were made which meant trees would need to be cut down. This in itself would take time and attempt to make use of men and animals ill equipped for such tasks. It would also leave a scar on ‘The Land’ such that any observer would object to their passing thru. Regan did the only thing he could still do; he split his forces, send most around the long way and recognized that their simultaneous arrivals would not only be delayed but the separation would make his men more vulnerable if attacked. It could not be helped however.

His hope was that even in such weakened state his forces would not be noticed or formidable enough to dissuade any aggressive actions. He had not long to wait until his assumptions would be tested, although not in any way he might have imagined. It was his first camp since entering the woods. He called for it early, just past midday to rest the animals but more so to rest and reassure the men of why this route was chosen.

The sounds of hoofs and a “Ho a rider approaches!” broke the calm that was setting in.

It was a she, a very small but still a beautiful she, carrying a small banner, but no shield or weapons. The steed she rode like the wind started prancing as it approached the compound. All eyes were on her and the horse as it lifted one foot then the other front hoof yet still made forward progress. As she approached she shouted, “I am Envoy for the ‘Queen of the Chosen’, I await to see the leader here, I bring a summons for their appearance to explain your trespass on our lands.”

With these words she seemed to jump or slide off her mount, land on her feet and impatiently standby waiting for a response. Looking at her she was a real beauty, all of four feet in height, slim as a post and looked like she could have the demeanor of a twenty year-old. Her garb was done in black silk and leathers. At a glance she could well have been mistaken for a squire or page by the way she was dressed, but her long, braided, silver-blond hair falling almost to the ground made that a mute point.

Her steed was a warhorse though and she sat it as a knight would, ready for combat as she rode up, galloped rather. Her entrance brooked no challenge from my guard, one could easily see why not, she was quite the beautiful girl-child and none would consider her a threat.

I had watched her actions from the first call. When she stated her intentions, I greeted her like one might receive an emissary except I came to meet her, there in the open.

I hailed, she merely nodded and asked, “You are leader here?”

I nodded.

“Mount behind me, the Queen awaits”; as she leaped up to sit the horse who immediately lowered himself, kneeling on front hoofs as she extended her hand to assist me up. I and any who saw were speechless. She must have bewitched me for I uttered no protest to do this and go with her. Her handing me a piece of silk and instructing me to fasten it over my eyes did bring me back to reality some.

We rode at what must have been one gait, a full gallop. There was no saddle or stirrups, nor horn or place to hold onto, yet the ride was as smooth as walking might be. I could sense the brushing of both trees and branches against my face. She took pity on me for I felt her hand take and place my left hand on her small hip and my right arm around her waist. If my cavalry could ride half as well as this horse and rider did they would be invincible. It was as if she was born as part of her mount.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.