The Rise of Azkoval - Cover

The Rise of Azkoval

Copyright© 2018 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 47: Unpopular Decisions

The sun was past its zenith before Joseph heard the distinct sounds of several young women approaching.

A part of him had expected a visitor early in the morning – and a separate part would have welcomed one. But he’d seen nothing of the group for the entire morning.

It was his last day of relative freedom. Once Court was officially underway, it would be impossible for him to sneak away for any period of time without tongues wagging all across Azkoval. Although not the worldliest of men, he wasn’t so naïve as to think word of what transpired at the castle would not find its way through the servant’s grapevine into almost every household in the country.

Since Court wouldn’t convene until the following week, he felt justified in using his guards to keep people away or simply stating that he didn’t wish to speak to them if they managed to get past his official security.

Joseph was doing his best to keep from seeming aloof or arrogant. He didn’t view himself as either. He simply didn’t let people near him and, with most people, it took him time to get comfortable around them.

The men he’d placed in charge of the holdings knew Joseph (almost exclusively as Johan) so they rarely bothered him with trivialities. It was the seven men (and their wives and children) that had seen the king only once or twice that insisted upon telling him their woes (or their triumphs) despite the fact he cared little.

“The problems of the rich,” he mumbled more than once after being cornered and forced to converse with one of them. “People spend their entire lives to earn a gold coin and these people complain about not having 50 of them.”

Genrico understood because he felt the same way. Many of the older lords felt no remorse at parading their children in front of the Defense Minister and extolling their virtues before asking him to find a spot in the army for them (leadership, of course). After all, why should the lord feed his children when the king would?

Choran was in the same position, particularly because certain lordships had provided far less in revenue that he’d expected. He had known excuses during his time as Johan’s quartermaster but the landed gentry of Azkoval put the soldiers to shame when it came to creativity. Each of the lords that had fallen short (including two of Joseph’s former soldiers) had come first to Choran in hopes of swaying the Finance Minister to their side of the story. Choran knew they were wasting their time (and his) and he was blunt with the lords Joseph had put in place. He tried to be diplomatic with the older landholders – because he knew Joseph had no intention of using tact.

Alexander, Jonathan and Elena were more accustomed to dealing with the people that Joseph barely knew but even they found their patience thinning – and Court had yet to start.

So the sound of laughter in the castle lifted Joseph’s spirits (as it always did) and he entered the great room in order to catch the women before they headed upstairs or off to their next adventure. He wasn’t surprised to see two new additions to the assemblage: Bianca Halversham and Annette Hulett. He was thankful that the youngest of the crew was summoned to her mother before he arrived. He didn’t want to exclude her but he needed to have a private conversation and he couldn’t count on a young child staying silent with the information he had to impart.

“Ah, back from the stables, I see,” Joseph said brightly. Julia and Victoria had found buckskins for the newcomers (although Annette Hulett still wore her dress).

“We didn’t ride,” Liala said. “We just took Annette down to see the horses. She is still a little unsure of actually getting on one.”

“I recognize the feeling from the first time you told me to climb aboard,” Joseph said with a laugh. “Actually, it works better for me that you don’t require time to clean. I wish to speak to you. Well, it doesn’t actually apply to Lucretia or Bianca but I’d like to see the rest of you if you’re available.”

The two women he’d mentioned by name looked crestfallen for a reason Joseph couldn’t fathom but it still bothered him.

“You’re welcome to join us,” he said quickly. He knew he could count on Lucretia’s discretion and Liala had told him that Bianca was trustworthy, too. “As I said, it won’t really pertain to you at this point but you’re always free to visit.”

Rather than take them to his office – which would be filled to overflowing with that many people – he led them into one of the side rooms and shut the door. He didn’t want Rucar’s spies to overhear what was discussed – although he had no doubt that Celestine probably knew before the king did.

He waited for everyone to find a seat and then sat down in a chair.

“I thought I should discuss this with you personally before Julia burst from keeping it a secret,” Joseph said.

“Please,” Octavia said. “That girl told us everything about your visit. We spent half the night searching for the secret entrances and didn’t find any.”

“And you won’t,” Joseph said. “That’s why it’s ‘secret.’ This isn’t about that.”

“She told us about the fun part, too,” Elizabeth said. “I’m ready for my turn.”

He saw all the heads in the room nodding – even Lucretia and Bianca’s.

“It’s not about that either,” Joseph said. “This is about something I expressly asked Julia to keep to herself. That was unfair of me. I know she shares almost everything with you. I don’t like keeping secrets either but this time I thought it was necessary.”

“So no kissing?” Catherine asked.

“No kissing,” Joseph said. “This is about state business.”

“Oh,” Bianca said. “I thought...”

“She thought she was going to miss the kissing,” Liala said, using a forefinger to poke Bianca in her bony ribs.

“Not this time,” Joseph said. “But, while you’re here, I do have something I wish to discuss with you. I had the opportunity to speak to your grandfather last night. I’ve extended an invitation for you to remain at the castle for as long as you like. He said he would present the offer to you but he said you were late to morning meal this morning. I understand why now.”

He saw the young blonde woman blush brightly.

“We all practiced kissing with our tongues last night,” Octavia announced.

“I did not,” Victoria cut in.

“Well, the old married woman didn’t but the rest of us did,” Octavia clarified.

Joseph closed his eyes and shook his head.

“You’re going have Bianca ready to go home before Court even starts,” he said.

“I am thrilled to have the opportunity to stay at the castle, Your Highness,” Bianca said quickly. “Thank you very much for your kindness.”

“You’re welcome,” Joseph said. “And please drop all the formalities – unless there is an old bastard lurking around that might be scandalized if I’m not addressed as His Most Exalted Majesty or something of the sort.”

Bianca found herself smiling at the king. Liala had told her that he was fun to be around and she found her new friend to be correct.

“Now, can we talk about this or do I need to schedule an appointment?” Joseph asked.

“I have an opening I’d be willing to fit you into,” Elizabeth said.

Victoria cringed and covered her eyes.

“I’m sorry,” Elizabeth said quickly. “That was crass. I can see that you wish to talk about something important. Please forgive my impertinence.”

“It’s fine,” Joseph said. “But it makes Victoria uncomfortable.”

“Then I suppose Victoria should spend time around other people,” Julia said. “Or, she should get over it and quit acting as though she’s 40 years old.”

Joseph had been waiting for the two sisters to come to blows since a day or two after he’d met them. He hoped it could wait another week or two.

“Go ahead, King Joseph,” Victoria said, ignoring Julia. Joseph figured that was for the best.

“Well, as you know, Court opens in a few days,” he said. “A few of the announcements I will make concern the people in this room so I wanted to discuss them with you before anyone else.”

“Announcements?” Octavia asked. “Have you selected a queen?”

“No!” Joseph said in exasperation. “Gods above! Would you let me speak without asking questions?”

“If we must,” Liala said. “Go ahead; I will cover their mouths if they get out of hand.”

Joseph looked to Julia for help but she was still glaring daggers toward her sister.

“This affects the leadership of Azkoval for the future,” Joseph said. “I decided when I first came back that the gentry would no longer consist solely of males. To that end, my first announcement will be the official installation of Lady Elena as landholder for Westmont.”

Joseph didn’t expect applause but that is what he got. He waited for the young women to calm before continuing.

“Julia, this is new information than what was discussed last night so please listen,” Joseph said. “Immediately following Lady Elena’s elevation, Jonathan is going to step aside as Lord Burbridge and turn the title over to Elizabeth.”

“What?” Elizabeth said, sitting back on the couch.

“I know he’s spoken to you about his future intentions,” Joseph said. “He has decided now is the correct time and Alexander concurs. You and Elena will be presented and installed at the same time.”

“Oh,” Victoria said, recognizing the shape of the discussion. Realization dawned on Octavia and Liala at the same time.

“Elizabeth, will you accept the title to the Burbridge lands if I offer them?” Joseph asked.

“Of course,” she said. “I’m ... I’m honored.”

“It is I who am honored,” Joseph said. “I believe this is an important first step in changing our culture for the better.”

Catherine was sitting beside Elizabeth and she gave her friend a heartfelt hug.

“You and Elena will not go in alone. I will deed the title to the land across the bay to Julia,” the king continued. “The land will be named for her maternal ancestors, the Trimbles. I explained my reasoning to her last night and she can share it with you later if she chooses.”

Despite the fact that they had been bickering just moments before, Victoria vaulted out of her chair and wrapped Julia in a warm embrace.

“And, so no one thinks I’m slighting Victoria, I discussed offering her a title at the same time,” Joseph said. “She has elected to take the name of Lady Larchman after her wedding.”

“That brings us to the last property I will award,” Joseph continued. “As with the new Trimble lands, the property carries vital importance. It will serve as the bridge between Burbridge and Westmont and, thus, will play an important part in the protection of Azkoval from any foreign force that attempts to land on our shores. I needed someone both capable and inventive. I needed someone with the ability to play peacemaker between Elizabeth and her sister-in-law. I selected someone that has been taking care of that part for the better part of her life. I will deed the land to Catherine of Burbridge.”

Catherine sat wide-eyed, her mouth open in surprise. At least they were until several young women wrapped her in her arms.

“I am ... a commoner,” Catherine protested.

“There is nothing common about you,” Joseph said with a smile. “Alexander, Elena and Jonathan have told me that you are versed in the agriculture and commerce of the region. Genrico and Rucar agree that you are aware of the military significance of that section. Choran is convinced that you understand the financial ramifications of a land holding. When the discussion turned to people to help build our country, your name came up very early in the conversation. I have said from the outset that who you are now is more important to me than from whence you came. That applied to people not born in Azkoval and it applies to people that were born into families without a title before their names. You are a capable, intelligent woman and Azkoval will be better for having you in position of authority.”

Catherine managed to wipe the tears from her eyes before wrapping Joseph in a firm embrace. He held her and offered a soft kiss on her hair.

“Will you accept the responsibility?” Joseph asked when she sat down again. Elizabeth immediately put an arm around her friend.

“Of course she accepts,” Elizabeth said but Joseph shook his head firmly.

“It is Catherine’s decision to make,” he said sternly. “Perhaps she has dreams and aspirations that do not include the role I’ve offered. You both know that the landholder is more than a mere figurehead. It is a position of leadership. The people around you will look to you for guidance and for approval. The Crown will expect you to grow the area and nurture its occupants. I will expect you to continue to provide sound advice and counsel. This is not a position without drawbacks.”

“I understand,” Catherine said, sniffing to clear her nose. “Yes, King Joseph. I humbly accept your offer.”

“I have not selected a name for the region,” Joseph said. He had never expected her to turn down the job. “I will leave that to you. I ask only that you consult me before announcing it. There are some names I have removed permanently. If you make a compelling argument, I will consider permitting you to resurrect them if you select one of them.”

“My parents came from McMicken,” Catherine said. “Is it possible I could honor them in that way? I fear Wilhelm killed the entire line.”

“The McMickens are similar to the Trimbles,” Joseph said with a nod. “Their deaths became necessary because they would have fought the usurper to the last breath. I have considered offering the name to other regions but I wished to save it for a person and an area worthy of it. You are certainly that person. If you wish to name the region McMicken, I will heartily support it. From what I’ve read of the family, they would be honored as much as your parents would be.”

“Lady Catherine McMicken,” Julia said thoughtfully. “That has a nice sound to it.”

“Thank you, Lady Julia Trimble,” Catherine said.

“I believe that concludes what I wished to speak to you about,” Joseph said. “Is there anything you require from me? I fear the rest of day is hectic.”

Victoria cleared her throat.

“Uh, Joseph,” she said, “I do not wish to question your decisions but...”

“But that would make you the only person I know who didn’t,” Joseph interrupted. “Ask what you will.”

“It is... , “ Victoria began and stopped. “I wondered if you had considered Octavia and Liala for land holdings.”

“I considered it but dismissed the thought,” Joseph answered with a smile. “They seem perfectly content to eat my food and provide nothing in return.”

“I provide you with ... other benefits,” Octavia said with a look down at her bosom.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.