Injustice III
Chapter 14

Copyright© 2017 by Uncle Jim

The following new character appears in this chapter:

Thomas J. Perkins

Vice President of the United States, second in Command of the Anti-Magic League, 5’-11’’ tall, 200 pounds, 45 years old, dark brown hair, hazel eyes


Later that evening, following supper, and after the television had been turned off, and the rest of the household was preparing for bed, Thad and I were the only two left sitting in the parlor.

“Just who is this first fellow you are going after?” Thad asked leaning forward in his upholstered arm chair.

“The first one is Thomas J. Perkins,” I told him. The blood instantly drained from his face on hearing this, as he stared at me is shock and disbelief.

“The ... the Vice President of the United States ... that Thomas J. Perkins?” he asked in a whisper.

“The very same,” I told him.

“But my God, man, he’s the Vice President!” he exclaimed, before sitting back and considering things for a short time.

“Where did you get this name? Could there be a mistake?” he asked after a time.

“We got his name from his Cousin, Johnathan Cushing, who was under the Truth spell at the time. He was the liaison from the Anti-Magic League’s action committee in Salem to the leadership in Washington. He was eliminated with the rest of those in Salem,” I told him to a concerned look.

“But will you be able to get to him? He’ll have Secret Service men guarding him,” Thad reminded me.

“That is what we need to research. There is always a way to reach someone. You just need to do enough research on them, their background, and habits, plus be willing to die if necessary to reach them. The research is easier to do on most public figures. The other two, Dr. Boudinot and his stooge, Colonel Coley, will be much harder to find information on, I’m sure,” I told him.

“What do those two have to do with it?” he asked in a skeptical voice. “They are part of those trying to hide the fact that there actually is Magic, and that the government is actually using it,” he finished.

“Dr. Boudinot is the actual head of the Anti-Magic League. What better way to hide than to become part of the team denying the existence of Magic, and using Psychological means to brainwash those who know about it, so they forget what they know. They spent over six months working on me, so I forgot all about not just Magic, but that I could use it,” I told him, still upset about that.

“Do you think you will be able to remove them and live through it?” he asked next.

“I don’t know, Thad. For Jill’s sake, I hope I do. I thought all of this would be over when I removed the Magic Haters organization, which we did in Salem. BUT, there are still these two leaders, who are in powerful government positions and their lackeys.

“If they are not removed, they will just recreate their organization and make it harder to find the next time. Additionally, with Perkins as the Vice President, what else might they be cooking up to remove the President? His ancestors removed three Presidents in the past when they refused to go along with their plans. NO, these people must be eliminated before they do something even worse,” I told him.

Later in our room, Jill and I discussed what we would be doing tomorrow, before hugging and kissing a little and going to sleep. In the morning, we were up with the O’Donnells, so we could get Maureen up for school. She would begin school that day with the other children at one of the houses belonging to the O’Donnell’s Daughter’s, where the classes were held. Maureen would have to leave Lilly in her room while she was gone, but at least it was warm in there.

We, on the other hand, had a leisurely breakfast and helped clean up, since the libraries that we would be visiting didn’t open until 0900. We would be visiting several of the libraries that we had used previously, but would only spend a limited amount of time at each one to try to confuse anyone still trying to track us.

We visited three libraries that day in different areas of Charleston and Atlanta to do our research on the Office of the Vice President, but not on any particular one, and especially not on the present one. It was amazingly easy to learn about the office where he worked, and where he now lived, as these things had become institutionalized, and there were pictures of where his official office was in the Eisenhower Executive Office building, a huge French Second Empire style building just west of the White House.

“This is NOT where we will attempt to remove him,” I told Jill in Gaelic after getting a look at pictures of the building and reading its description there in the first library. The building was just too massive, and there would be too many people there to see or hear us.

“Where else can we find him?” she asked.

“Let’s try his residence,” I told her, and at the next library we visited, we did research on where he lived. This was much more productive, as there were numerous articles and pictures showing the official residence of the Vice President, which is at Number One Observatory Circle on the grounds of the U.S. Naval Observatory in northwestern Washington. It had been designated as such by the Congress in 1974.

Because of all of this material and aerial photographs of the Observatory area, it was easy to plan how to reach the house. There was even a jogging route on the internet that covered a good part of the area around the Observatory. It included a graph of the change in elevation along the route, which gave us an idea of the terrain. Still we would need to recon the entire area to determine just where and how active the defenses were. There was also a map of bike routes in the area, as many in Washington found it faster and easier to ride a bicycle to get around and there was less of a parking problem. However, weather this time of the year would be a factor as well as the Vice President’s schedule. We would need a laptop to check on the schedule and other things going on in Washington as well as a scanner to pick up radio transmissions from the vicinity of the house.

While I was making notes on all of this, Jill interrupted me.

“That’s the second time that I’ve seen that rumor reported,” she mused out loud.

“What rumor?” I asked.

“The rumor that there is a bunker under the house with, as one report states, ‘a massive steel door secured by an electronic lock’,” she told me.

“That’s very interesting if true. I wonder who knows it’s there and who uses it,” I told her.

“We may have to investigate it,” she replied with a smile.

All of this had been fairly easy to look up, as it was readily available on the internet. The next item on our list, ‘The Pentagon’ proved to be much harder to obtain information on. There was a lot about its construction and history, plus a bit about public tours of part of the building, but few pictures of the interior and no maps of it at all. However there were a number of articles about the reconstruction of the area destroyed on 9 / 11, and some of these included maps of the Pentagon, which was a great help.

“We’ll just have to depend on my memory from when I was there and ask questions,” I told Jill.

“How are we going to get in? They appear to do background checks on all of those visiting,” she reminded me.

“That could be a problem, even if we are in uniform, as they would still need to see a valid military ID card to enter. Perhaps we could visit them one night and locate some rest rooms to appear in during the daytime in uniform. There will be plenty of people to ask for directions during the day,” I assured her.

“And Dr. Boudinot?” she asked.

“When we find Col. Coley, I’m sure that he will know where the doctor is,” I told her.

“When do we leave? I presume that we will need to drive up there,” she asked.

“Let’s check the weather. I don’t want to go up there if there is going to be a snow storm,” I told her.

“Or a lot of cold weather. We had enough of that in Boston and Salem,” she reminded me. We returned to the farm following that with our many printouts. The libraries here were better about that than the one in Boston that we had used.

That night, we checked the Weather Channel for the weather forecast in the DC area over the next several days. The forecast for the next day, Thursday the 4th, wasn’t very encouraging, but the forecast for the weekend and early the following week was much better.

“We could drive up there on Friday and do our recon over the weekend. There shouldn’t be as many people working on the weekend, and we may be able to get around better,” Jill suggested after seeing the forecast.

“That seems reasonable, but I’ve been thinking. We don’t know how often Cushing reported to his Cousin, but Perkins should be expecting a report from him on the drug deal. The fact that it went bad has been in the news for a couple of days now along with the disappearance of those belonging to the Anti-Magic League, or more correctly the junior members of the Salem East India Marine Society. Perhaps we should give him a bit more time to worry about that and to wonder what happened to them,” I told her.

“So you don’t want to do the recon this weekend?” she asked in a disappointed voice.

“I didn’t say that. What I was getting at was to give him time to do more checking, and then worry when he doesn’t hear anything. We should do the recon during the good weather, but perhaps wait a few more days to give him time to wonder and worry,” I told her with a smile.

“You really are a devil, Max, but you’re my devil,” she told me with a big grin. The love and the sex later that night were very good indeed.

Thursday morning, we helped Thad with a few things around the farm before driving to Franklin to have the SUV serviced, as we had put a lot of miles on it lately. While waiting for it, we transferred to one of our regular libraries to look up a source for the equipment that we would need in Washington. We found a place in Greensboro that could supply what we needed, and put it on order with them, to be picked up at their store on Friday.

That evening, we checked with Maureen, but she was doing very well in school here and had made friends with a couple of the O’Donnell girls who were close to her age. We would need to check with her Mother next week for her school records, but there was still a lot of snow in Boston and things weren’t moving very fast there. That night we were in bed early so we could get an early start the next morning.

Friday, the 5th of February, we were up with the O’Donnells and got Maureen up and ready for school, before loading the SUV with the things we would need in Washington. Following a good breakfast, we set out on the drive to Washington after farewells to the O’Donnells. There were no side trips for license plates on this trip, but we did make a stop in Greensboro to pick up the equipment we had ordered and paid cash for it.

Having made good time on the trip, we were pulling into a motel parking lot near the Quantico Marine Base in Virginia for the night just after sundown. I still had my wallet, even after all that had happened, so we were able to get a room with the military discount after the clerk took a cursory glance at my retired military ID card.

The next morning, Saturday, we were up early to continue up I-95, and took 495 around the western part of the DC area to exit 40, state route 190, also known as River Road. The entire DC area is a confusing mass of roads and Interstates which require a detailed map for a visitor to navigate the area successfully. We had a large map of the entire area, and I was doing the navigating while Jill drove.

River Road runs into Wisconsin Ave. which runs into Massachusetts Ave, not far from the Observatory. We took a left onto Garfield St. from Wisconsin Ave. and followed it a short distance to turn onto Woodland Dr. and then Norman Stone Dr. We soon found a place there to pull off the road and into the trees of Norman Stone Park, where we parked before I cast the Invisibility spell on the SUV and we changed into our jogging clothes.

We soon set out through the remaining trees of the park and jogged up Massachusetts Ave. and around the exterior of part of the Naval Observatory. It was all uphill from where we had parked, and close to a mile before we reached Wisconsin Ave and stopped. We had gotten a good look at the entrance to the Observatory with its large white anchors and equally large digital clock. We had not gotten much of a look at the VP’s house because of the trees, but we would be back tonight to snoop and poop, and to see what defenses were in place before investigating the house tomorrow night. We took the easy way back by transferring back to the SUV. Jill had a complaint when we got back.

“Good grief, I can’t believe that people actually jog here? You could die from breathing all of the exhaust fumes along Massachusetts Ave,” she complained. We cruised around for a time after that before finding a place to eat and changed clothes in their rest room.

Following a good lunch, we drove back up River Road past the beltway and found a hotel that wasn’t full, and got a room for the next couple of nights. Like everywhere in the DC area it was expensive, but not quite as expensive as those downtown that we had seen on the travel sites. After changing into our recon clothing, I transferred us back to the trees in Norman Stone Park where we hid while doing our work. Jill had brought the laptop that we had purchased in Greensboro, and I had the portable scanner we had purchased with it. I tuned around on it and was soon able to pick up conversations from the Secret Service men at the VP’s house. Some of the conversations were very interesting.

“What’s the problem with his nibs?” I heard one man ask.

“He’s pissed that his Cousin hasn’t shown up. He was supposed to be here a couple of days ago, but he hasn’t heard from him. He made a couple of calls to his relatives in Massachusetts, but hasn’t heard anything back. He’s just restless,” a second man told the first. When I related this to Jill, she just smiled.

“Have you gotten anything?” I asked her, as she closed the laptop.

“Anything ... I’ve been overwhelmed with all of the rumors, innuendos, and bullshit the people in this town put on the web on the various social sites. There are also lists of various functions that are occurring over the next couple of weeks and who is expected to be attending them,” she told me.

“Let’s go back to the hotel and change, then go to supper. It’s been warm today, and it’s not supposed to cool down too much tonight. I’ll come back to sneak and peek when it’s dark enough,” I suggested.

“You don’t want to take me along?” she asked, miffed.

“I didn’t think you enjoyed that sort of thing,” I told her.

“I want to see what that place is like,” she told me with a smile.

We eventually found a place to have dinner, after returning to the hotel, showering, and changing clothes. It was a lot more expensive than the dinner that we had in Sneedville a bit over a week ago or so. Things in DC seemed to be more expensive than elsewhere in the country. While we hadn’t been in a hurry to finish our meal, we did enjoy it, so it was 2100 before we returned to the hotel.

“It’s too early yet to return to start our reconnaissance,” I told Jill when we had reached our room. “Being Saturday night, there will be people out at parties and other functions. We should give them time to get off the roads,” I finished.

“What kind of defenses do you expect to find around the VP’s house?” she asked after we had been seated on the bed for a few minutes. I had been expecting her to say something else.

“There is the fence around the entire installation. We saw it during our run, but that is normal for a government facility. It won’t be electrified, as there are too many people going by it. There will probably be ground sensors inside the fence to detect anyone coming over it, but they are probably within ten feet or so of the fence, and may be closer to the fence in areas where there are a lot of trees.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.