Kim and Megan - Cover

Kim and Megan

Copyright© 2017 by Jerrod

Chapter 2: Damn. Damn, damn.

Why did Eve have to ask me that question? Why not ask something that I did not know the answer to? I could have lied. Should have lied. It would have bought me some time and the chance she would forget she asked. In many ways it was the same kind of question I often asked myself only ‘Fair’ was replaced by some other questions.

When you think or know even that you have nothing, selling yourself for any reason is easy to do. Some do it for Revenge, the action and excitement, travel, a feeling of being ‘Special’ but most reach some convoluted reason that they do it for the money.

Once you get a taste of it, the high that comes with the ‘kill’, even the call to go here or there becomes like a drug dose. The military uses any number of sniper/spotter and/or guard combinations. They typically are at the beck and call of the chain of command. Some others are ‘Clandestine’, they have a target or a goal and are on a long leash. Ask any if they ever felt ‘eyes’ on them or that they themselves were a target at times. Not the preferred way to ‘Police up an area’ but hey it works for a while until people wise up.

A merc however id always ‘expendable’. Every ‘friggin’ time you don’t know if the enemy is in-front or in-back of you or if you are coming back. You are like a high-priced consultant. You make the big bucks but take the blame if something goes South, you know what I mean don’t you? One sure clue your close to the end is when your target is another merc lining up their kill.

Ok! No, I don’t think getting involved is fair. Not fair to any involved. Hell, life is not fair, even playing Red or Black in Roulette still gives the House an edge because of the Green 0 and 00.

It’s not easy to change. I also know if you think about things you are DEAD. If you question things, you are DEAD. And the end for all of us is ... Right ... DEAD. So you got to ask yourself why stay involved when you know some day you are not coming back.

Once in a great while you get an assignment that lets you go out with a bang. You know it when it happens or will happen. You dot the i’s, cross the t’s and try to do everything on your ‘to do’ list beforehand.

“Eve, I have another favour to ask. My Boss(Master) needs me to go on a longer assignment, just how long is unknown right now. It is my chance to really make a difference(Go out with a bang, bang). If everything goes right I’ll have a house on the beach and a new car. I need you and the girls to take or sell my old stuff while I’m gone.”

“Take?”

The car and stuff, sure, I know the girls will get a kick out of it. The house sell it for me, keep the money in the account we set up for expenses. Things will change so much because of this opportunity.”

I got the look now from her.

“Your not a very good liar!” Now the tears started.

“Hey, don’t cry, I’m just trying to be ‘FAIR’.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.