The Homecoming of Keith Boyd
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2017 by MysteryWriter

Set in Coletown
Keith Boyd
Fred Boyd his brother.
Alice Boyd his sister in law.
Nephew John 15
Niece Gabby 13
Jo Anne Wall
Windy Wall her ex husband.
Lewis and Ellie Keith’s in laws.


Gatehouse

The Trailways bus stopped in the parking lot of the Coletown Diner. I didn’t need the driver to announce that we were at my stop. I recognized the diner. Of course the last time I had been in the parking lot, it was filled with cars. That afternoon there was only one car in the lot.

I struggled off the bus and spilled onto the cracked pavement of the parking lot. I could barely kept my balance. My balance had been much better when I had two real contact points with the earth. The last time I had been in Coletown I had both my real contact points working.

On that April afternoon I was making do with one real contact point, and one peg leg. I had learned the hard way that I couldn’t count on even a new generation of prosthesis as a contact point. No matter how inspired and innovative the limb, it just wasn’t quite real. It also hurt after a while even if I sat completely motionless. Sometimes the pains were phantom, but sometimes they were very real.

The man in the SUV, which was the only occupant of the parking lot, looked a lot like me. Well like a thirty pound heavier me. No, he wasn’t over weight, I was too thin by at least twenty five pounds. Not only that the muscle mass had changed, first to flab, then to saggy skin. In other words there was nothing attractive about me. I lost a lot more than my left leg on that hot dusty day in the sand box.

I hadn’t been injured on either of my first two deployments to Iraq. It had taken three more deployment to Afghanistan and a return to Iraq before my number came up. I had to be one of the unluckiest Air Policemen in air force history. It took the jihad assholes eighteen years to get me, but they got me good.

“Hello Keith,” my brother said to me as I approached his SUV.

“Hello Fred, thanks for coming down to meet my bus,” I replied.

“Least I could do. Let me throw that bag in the back for you,” he suggested.

“I got it,” I replied lifting it before he could.

“Okay, but you are staying with me and Alice. Don’t even think of giving me any shit,” he said.

“I got nowhere else to be, so why not,” I agree.

Fred drove the Chevy SUV about ten miles to his house along a county road. I remembered that the road lead into a swamp. Fred’s house was about five miles before the first water crossing, but he still told people his lived in General Briggs Swamp. He should have said that he lived on General Briggs Swamp Road, if he wanted to be accurate. He just didn’t need to be that precise, so no one ever made an issue of it.

We were close to his house when he asked me, “Tell me Keith, what did you do the thirteen years you weren’t doing guard duty in the middle east?”

“Force protection, it’s called force protection not guard duty. A lot of the time I guarded missile silos in nowhereville. I suppose for most of those eighteen years, I was almost a hermit. I spent at least half my military career living in a tent,” I said.

“Well you did retire a Master Sergeant,” he said.

“I didn’t retired Fred. I got a medical seperation,” I said.

“Yeah but it’s the same thing isn’t it?” he asked.

“Fred I have no idea what the practical difference is. I’m going to just take the money and run,” I said. “I’m also going to move out just as soon as I decide where I’m going to live.”

“Are you also going to look for a job, or can you make it on your pension?” he asked.

“I have no idea. I’ll try to figure that out once I begin making a life for myself,” I said.

“Do me a favor, don’t rush into anything. We really are looking forward to a long visit,” Fred said. It was the kind of thing family said often, but meant seldom.

“Don’t worry Fred it won’t be too long. I’ve got an idea or two about a new life change,” I said. “I’m trying to decide exactly how much I won’t to be involved in life these days.”

“What does that mean,” Fred asked.

“Truth is I’m not sure what it means,” I said.

Neither of us spoke again until we arrived at his home. Fred’s wife Alice came out the door to greet me. She was followed by two teenaged kids. I recognized them from previous visits and pictures at Christmas time.

“Uncle Keith,” Fred’s son John said.

“Hello you two,” I said to Fred’s kids. I also hugged his wife Alice who was very attractive even after fifteen years of marriage. John was the first kid. It was a very good thing that nobody in Mississippi ever counted the number of months the new parents had been married. It would have been embarrassing to say the least.

“Uncle Keith are you moving back to Coletown to live?” John asked.

“Somewhere around here most likely,” I said. “Right now your dad wants me to stay with you guys. Do you think you can manage it?”

“Of Course,” John’s sister Gabby said.

“Thank you Gabby. I don’t have anywhere else to go tonight,” I said with a laugh.

“Come on in, I have lunch waiting for us all,” Alice said.

“That sounds good to me,” I suggested.

“John carry you uncles bag to the guest room,” Fred said.

“Actually I was hoping we might clean out the Gatehouse. I always thought it would be the best place to spend a few days,” I explained.

“That thing is filthy no telling what critters live there,” Alice explained.

“Okay tonight in the house, tomorrow we will take a good look at the Gatehouse,” I said.

“It doesn’t have a toilet or a kitchen,” my brother Fred said.

“Well I can live without either of those. Remember where I’ve spent the last eighteen years,” I informed them all.

John actually grinned like and idiot. Gabby looked horrified. Fred and Alice looked at me as they usually did sometime before my visit ended. Like I had at least one bolt loose. They did smile indulgently though, also as they always did.

It was after dinner while I was watching a movie on TV, when Alice said, “Please don’t stay in the Gatehouse. You are welcome to stay as long as you want, just not in the Gatehouse please.”

“Why is that?” I asked.

“Keith, if anything happens to you, we would never forgive ourselves,” she said. “Even the kids would blame us.”

“You overate your importance to my well being. I haven’t done all that well at taking care of myself, I admit. But I did manage to survive,” I suggested.

“I know but please don’t get yourself killed where we should have prevented it. You owe us that much. After all I have sent you coffee cans filled with chocolate fudge every Christmas that you were deployed,” Alice said.

“Since you put it that way, I’ll find somewhere else to crash long term,” I said.

“I didn’t mean that,” she tried to explain.

“That fudge make a lot of guys happy. I owe you,” I said. “Not to mention convinced more than one lady to be friendly.”

“You truly are a dog,” Alice said with a laugh.

“I never denied that,” I admitted.

“How can you and Fred be so different?” she asked.

“One of us is just got lucky,” I said. “Obviously it isn’t me.”

Fred came in to join us, so we began reminiscing. We kept that up till 1AM. “I’ve had a long day. I’m going to bed,” I said and I did. Sleep didn’t come right away, so I thought of the Gatehouse, as I often did when winding down.

The Gatehouse had a long history. It went back to the days of my great grand father. His father had owned a rather large, almost plantation. Then came the little disturbance between the north and south. When that ended, like a lot of other folks he was forced to swap land for money.

Then in the days of tenant farmers, he had a small cluster of tenant houses on the rear of his land. He had left to deteriorate after refinancing the farm. There had been even more consolidations when he passed and his kids divided up the family farm. My Grandfather wound up with fifty acres which included the tenant farm houses. They had been abandoned for many years by that time and were mostly rubble.

When my grand father passed her left each of his sons, and daughters twenty acres. My father’s share of that was ten acres. He said it was enough for a vegetable garden and a rabbit patch for hunting. Also on the place was the family home handed down from his grand father.

Fred’s family lived in that home. I had given Fred my share of my father’s estate. In exchange he had given me a deed to the plot of land with the tenant houses. Our grand father had use one houses for a storage building. It had remained reasonably free of weather damage for many years. It had been damaged after it was passed on to me. A lack of maintenance was the basic problem.

I had paid the tax but other wise ignored it, until now. I still wanted to make that building my home. Of course that would be after I renovated it. I drifted off to sleep with dreams of a place of my own finally.

I was up at 6AM and into the shower which was difficult without my grasp bars. It is hard to soap up and lean against the wall without a bar, but I managed it. Getting in and out of the tub required an aluminum folding device like a cane and crutch combination. I managed, but it wasn’t easy or a pretty sight at all.

By 6:30AM I was in the kitchen trying to figure out the Star Wars coffee maker. In the end I gave up and drank a glass of orange juice while I waited for the rest of the family.

I waited almost an hour for Alice to arrive and demonstrate the single cup coffee maker. Every cup was supposed to be fresh and delicious. I’m sure it was, if you were into fresh coffee. I however drank stale coffee all day long. I brewed ten cups in the morning, then reheated it all day in the microwave. I had known all along many, many things were going to change, I just hadn’t expected coffee to be one of them.

Fred came down to have breakfast before driving to the Heritage Dog Food plant. He was in fact the very busy plant manager. That fact meant I wasn’t going to be able to count on him for renovation help. It was a good thing I had a few bucks saved.

All during my hospitalization and the time in rehab my government pay check went into the bank. Afterward I spent a couple of months in government housing while I went through a ‘how to live on you own’ course. During that time the money also accumulated in the bank as well. The point was I thought I had enough in the bank to renovate the gatehouse. I would find out as time went on for sure.

First priority was to get some means to get around. I had looked at several possibilities on line over the last two months. Three wheeled motor cycles were as expensive as a small sized used car. I researched a DIY electric bike. It was expensive for what I would get, but it was the least expensive option. Best of all I could do it myself.

Over breakfast I conned Alice into driving me around that morning. In exchange I agreed to go shopping with her for the family’s groceries. I looked on it as a good learning experience. I needed to know where to go and what to buy on a regular basis.

First we went to a high end grocery for a few items Alice couldn’t find anywhere else. Then she went to a Walmart ten miles away for many items on a typical family’s shopping list. Alice however did not by generic or Walmart’s own brands. She bought only national name brand items. I noticed she wouldn’t even go down the pet food aisle.

I knew Fred had a shop full of tools, so I didn’t go down the power tool aisle myself. I was pretty sure he would complain about me using his tools, but also complain about my tools taking up space in his garage. Since that made it a lose, lose situation, I skipped the tool aisle completely.

It was after lunch before Alice and I went shopping for my DIY project. What I planned to buy was a couple of used bicycles at the second hand store. One was just for a frame and the other for the wheels and any other usable parts.

At the Consignment Store I purchased a twenty inch girls bike. It was one with a very low frame design. I was going to need that for the convenience of climbing on board it. I could balance myself on the good leg while I swung the carbon fiber leg over, only if I didn’t have to get stand on the peg leg to long or lift too high with it. There would still be a learning curve involved, but then life is one giant learning curve.

On the way out I purchased a sixteen inch bike just for the two wheels. I even took the wheels off and left the bike in their trash pile. It allowed them to sell it for scrap, so they weren’t upset.

After a quick trip to Fred’s house to drop off the bike and wheels, we were off to the Home Depot to buy angle iron, nuts and bolts. I also bought a few drill bits and washers. It all came from the parts list for a set of DIY plans on a bike building site. The guy, whose design I was using, was some kind of genius according to all the people who built the same bike/scooter.

I had spent less than one hundred dollars so far. It sounded more economical than it really was. I had the parts to finish the frame but nothing else. I had no motor and no batteries. The frame also had no brakes, so it was hazardous to my body for sure. On the better side, I did have a three grand leg I could drag on the ground to stop the trike. That would probably do a real number on my stump.

I went to bed exhausted after that first complete day back in Mississippi. I didn’t even watch TV after dinner. I slipped into bed, and then into the arms of Morpheus immediately. I woke up a couple of times for bathroom calls, but went immediately back to sleep.

The morning of my second full day, I managed the shower a little better. I also managed the coffee pot. I even helped Alice with breakfast. Well, I poured the coffee and managed the toast, while she scrambled the eggs.

Alice told Fred how much work I had done the day before. He must have felt bad because he asked what all I had left.

“I’m going to make sure that the frame is square today, then look for a welder to tighten it up. Finally I will make sure the wheels can be dropped without taking the bike apart,” I explained.

“Tell you what, why don’t I take the afternoon off. I can do the welding for you,” Fred said.

“Well I would appreciate that. It would also mean I didn’t have to take the bike apart again to transport it to the shop,” I said. “So really thanks.”

“I’ll be back here by 2PM for sure,” Fred said.

I got the WIFI address and password from Alice before I disappeared back inside the guest room for a few minutes. I used the time to order a two hundred dollar hub motor from a Cycle supply shop in California. It was a hub motor and the electronics to complete the scooter all in the same package. It would require a Battery of course, but that was thought for later that evening.

At that moment I wanted to go to the Gatehouse to see how badly it was really damaged. When I walked through the kitchen, Alice was having a cup of coffee while watching a game show on her small color TV.

“Hey girl, I’m going to walk over to the Gatehouse to survey the damage to it,” I said.

“Keith just let Fred have it bulldozed,” she suggested.

“It might come to that, but I really want to see it first,” I said.

“Well wait a minute and I’ll give you a lift,” she said.

“No thanks, I really want to walk. I have been cooped up for most of the last three days. I’m not used to that,” I said.

I walked the mile or so to Gatehouse. The walk was over a farm road by a man with a missing leg so it took over an hour just to get there. When I arrived I seated myself on a large tree stump which had no doubt been used man times before as a chair.

I looked at the outside of the wood frame house. I was pretty damn sure it could never be brought up to code. I could see it was missing bits of siding. From the interior of the house showing through, I could tell there was no insulation and no interior wall finishes.

I could also see the remains of three other houses. It looked as though Alice was right. The best thing I could do was buy something which could be easily moved onto the site. The problem I might have even with that was that the road was a just two tire tracks running from the road to the boat landing at the edge of the swamp.

It would be impossible to pull anything over that road to the site of my property. I remembered that the county road was three miles up that twisted path. There was no way anything could be moved onto the site without the road being greatly improved. It looked like a hopeless undertaking. After making notes for a half hour, I began my hour long walk back to Fred’s house.

I managed another hour of rest before Fred showed up. After a sandwich made by Alice he began the long slow process of preparing his work space for the task at hand. In spite of hoping I wouldn’t have to disassemble the trike/scooter. I had to do just that while Fred prepared his tools for the job.

“It’s going to take a while to do this,” Fred suggested.

“It shouldn’t all the joints are being held in place by quarter inch nuts bolts and washers. All it is needs is to have a bead laid down over a couple of the joints,” I explained.

“Keith, if I’m going to do it, I’m going to do it right. It is not going to come apart on you,” Fred said.

I mumbled something under my breath but let it slide. I did a lot of the apprentice type work for Fred. He got the work done inside a three hour window, but it could have been done in one hour easily.

“Well thanks Fred, you have it done finally,” I said.

“We need to grind the joints down so that we can paint them,” he said.

“No we aren’t going to do that. I am going to reassemble the whole bike frame tomorrow. Then when the motor comes next week, I’m going to install it. At that point it will be complete,” I explained.

“That’s only half ass doing it,” he complained.

“Fred we have it ten time stronger than necessary,” I said.

“It’s your butt, if the frame fails,” he insisted.

“So it is,” I said ending the conversation and our partnership.

“Alice says you went to the Gatehouse today,” Fred said to me.

“Yes she wasn’t kidding. It’s in really rough shape,” I said.

“Yes it is. So are you going to settle in here, or what?” he asked.

“Or what,” I said. “Don’t ask me, I don’t know exactly what that is yet.”

“Take your time Keith,” Fred said. I just nodded. I didn’t trust myself to speak.

I researched ‘building in bad places’ and found that the Gatehouse site wasn’t even close. First of all widening and flattening the road would require nothing more than three hours with a big tractor or a motor grader. I decided to do that the next day before I made the purchases of the building materials.

Over breakfast Fred told me he knew a man with a huge farm tractor. He would give him a call before going to work. While I drank coffee and worried, Fred made the call. He nodded then explained to the man on the phone what had to be done.

“He said five hundred and he will do whatever it take to get a suitable dirt road into the Gatehouse site,” Fred said to me.

“Tell him to come right over,” I said with a big smile.

“He says after lunch and it will take the whole afternoon,” Fred said.

“Sure it will,” I said laughing.

“So you will have a road in the morning. What are you going to take in there first?” Fred asked.

“I’m not exactly sure,” I said.

“Well give it some thought and we will try to make it happen tomorrow,” he replied. “I know you are chomping at the bite to get started.”

“I admit that,” I said. “This weekend would be good time to get started on whatever I’m going to do.”

“It would give me and John a chance to jump in and help,” Fred said. “We would like to do that,”

“I’ll try to make a decision today,” I said.

I knew that living semi off grid was supposed to be all green and shit, but I wanted a low to no maintenance house. Keeping that in mind, I chose a Resin based DIY kit. I know it is cheap shit plastic, but I was in Mississippi not Alaska. I didn’t expect it to be necessary to make it stand up to deep freeze temperatures with a foot of snow on the roof.

I placed the order for a 10 x 12 storage building with two windows, and a skylight kit immediately. “So when can I expect delivery?” I asked the girl taking the order.

“Well Mister Boyd, we have kits like your order packaged and ready to ship. The delivery will be at your address by Wednesday afternoon.” she answered.

“Can you email me the foundation plans, so I can get a head start?” I asked.

“Sure,” she agreed taking my address. I knew it was just the beginning, but I wanted to celebrate.

Since Alice offered to take me to the Gatehouse site when Fred’s man called, I took her to lunch. We drove out to the interstate highway which led to Vicksburg. At the state highway 61 and interstate 20 there was a couple of nice restaurants and a six story motel. There were also two fast food restaurants but we didn’t even consider those.

Alice ordered some kind of fancy chicken, I ordered a Taco Salad. I had eaten microwave meals along with fast food meats for the last few months. I was craving green stuff, so I had the salad.

“So Keith, did you know Jo Anne Wall was single again?” Alice asked.

“No, I didn’t know that. So how many kids does she have now?” I asked.

“Two girls and a boy. Windy her ex is living out of state,” Alice informed me. She also passed her smart phone over so I could see Jo Anne’s family picture, minus Wendy of course.

“Cute kids,” I said. She has let herself go, I thought, but said nothing.

We got around to trashing everyone we went to school with before Harvey, the road man, called. After that call it was hell for leather to the Gatehouse site.

Alice gave me the gps coordinates to the farm road entrance, and I sent a text to Harvey. Then we sat and waited for the truck pulling the large farm farm tractor to pull off the road. Harvey did all the work himself, so I guided him off the low boy trailer.

It was two thirty when he started cutting the farm road deeper and wider. When Harvey finished the farm road it ran right to the edge of the clearing where the Gatehouse had set for over a hundred years. It was also where the remains still sat. I looked around the road to be sure I was satisfied before I handed over five hundred dollars in cash. The cash came from a quick trip to the bank before lunch.

“Thanks Harvey it looks like you did a fine job,” I said.

“Keith it was my pleasure. I have known your family all my life, and I always found every one of you to be ladies and gentlemen,” he said.

“Well I’m sure we all appreciate that,” I said shaking his hand.

On Saturday Fred, John, and I cleared off the site where we planned to erect the 10 x 12 plastic building. It was hard nasty work, but Fred jumped right into it. John on the other hand was a little less enthusiastic about getting his clothes dirty.

I was exhausted and sore Saturday night. I showered before I went to bed, and was surprised at the color of the water. I had been filthy for sure. It had been a long time since my bath water was grungy.

Sunday I went to church with the family. I rode with them all to the Vicksburg Baptist Church. It was a twenty minute drive along mostly country roads. I figured I could make the ride on my bike in about an hour when it was finished.

Once there I shook hands with several people. People I either hardly remembered, or didn’t remember at all. The service wasn’t especially inspirational for some reason. I had lost my religious zeal long before I lost my leg. The later loss did not bring it back, so I wasn’t surprised when my return home didn’t do it either.

Alice wanted to have a cook out after church, so we went to their beautiful deck and yard to do that. It was just the five of us for a late lunch. After lunch I went up to my room to order the Batteries for my trike. I ordered lead acid batteries because I could get them cheap and fast. I could experiment with them while the Lithium batteries were in shipping to me from China.

I hoped by Wednesday to have my wheel, my batteries, and my resin storage building kit. The only thing I could do Monday and Tuesday was to have the foundations for the storage building installed.

At dinner on Sunday I asked Fred, “Do you know anyone who could put in a concrete slab at the Gatehouse site?”

“Actually I do,” Ellen said. “My brother in law Lewis worked for a mason. They poured concrete every day for three years before his boss went broke.”

“Then there are the Morris brother,” Fred said.

“Lewis and Ellie can use the money,” Alice said. “You could probably save some money as well.”

“Okay give him a call. I need it done by sundown on Thursday,” I said.

Since it wasn’t cheap, but I couldn’t do it, I bit the bullet and ordered it done. I was on track to assemble the kit on Saturday. I figured even if it was just John and I, we could manage. Actually I would have preferred it that way to be honest.

The slab got poured Wednesday morning, and Alice called to tell me the postman left two large boxes at the driveway entrance. I left them there while I waited for the concrete to be poured. The redi-mix truck didn’t want to drive into the farm road but he agree to try it since he knew Lewis from the old days. Even so he was afraid to turn around in the fields around Gatehouse, so Lewis and his helper had to wheel in the concrete. I made sure the top of the slab form was dead level in all directions before they did. I waited until they were finished shaping it before I called it day.

I had been forced to pay the Redi-mix driver before he would do the pour. The agreement with the two guys who built the form and shaped the slab was that I would check it for level and square the next day before I paid them. Since Lewis was family, kinda, he agreed to it before he took the job. Since we were trying to stay on good terms till I settled with them, I rode to Fred’s place in the front of their truck. I couldn’t climb into it the bed from the ground, so I sat inside while the helper rode in the back.

Lewis dropped me at the house after he and his partner loaded the two packages into his truck. I helped them unload them at the house. Ellen came out to speak to her brother in law before he got away. They agreed to pick me up at noon on Thursday to check the slab.

After supper John an I installed the wheel, the electronics, and the battery compartment onto the three wheeled electric scooter’s frame. It was almost dark when I rode down the driveway to the county road. When I got home I installed the battery charger and recharged the battery pack.

All in all it had been a hell of a day. At least I would be mobile the next day.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.