Is It Safe?
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2017 by Grandad1950

August, 2001

Day 1, Tuesday

The flutter of wings awoke me. I prised open my eyes to see a seagull as he folded his wings. He had an insolent stare, making it clear he resented my presence in his territory.

I ignored the bird and dozed. I sensed something wrong, with no idea of what. It was ... a feeling, nothing more. I tried to re-enter the dream, although I soon realised it was too late. I was awake. With eyes closed against the morning sunlight, I fumbled on the bedside cabinet for my watch and squinted at it through sleep laden eyes. The watch was a Breitling, whilst the one I owned was a Breguet. Similar names, both Swiss and expensive, however the Breitling wasn’t mine.

It was 6.20, far too early after a restless night and I allowed my eyelids to close. I attempted sleep, but my mind was alert, something apart from the watch was wrong.

The seagull, no doubt bored with me, launched into the air with a noisy flapping of wings.

I flashed my eyes open and looked towards the window. As the bird soared out of sight, I saw a doorway, but no window. There were two glass partitioned doors, they were open and led onto a balcony. That confused me; I didn’t have a balcony. I threw back the single sheet, staggered into the fresh air and clutched the rail. It was a magnificent morning, cool and peaceful and the clear cobalt sea shimmered in the morning light. It was pleasant, yet bizarre. I lived a hundred miles from the sea and I didn’t anticipate a harbour entrance outside my bedroom.

At first, I was certain it wasn’t a dream, that fantasy was in New York. Nor did I think was it a new dream, nor even a false awakening. What was beyond dispute was that I wasn’t in England and if I wasn’t at home in bed, I must be in a dream world. It made no sense, but perhaps I was in another lucid dream. I was baffled and gave up until my mind was clearer.

I trampled down my confusion and studied the view from the balcony. I was in a town, the buildings clustered together and the style of architecture was Mediterranean. In front, the port was packed with boats, ships and yachts, many large and expensive. In an instant, I recognised the battlements of the Palace which formed one side of the harbour. It was the Palais du Prince, the home of Prince Rainier.

“Monté-Carlo,” I whispered, “très bien.”

Monté-Carlo, one of the quartiers of Monaco, was without doubt, the most opulent of the four. I surveyed the view and reminisced. It was four years since we last visited and it was good to be back, even if it was a dream.

I returned to the cool of the bedroom. It was a generous size, furnished with a Mediterranean refinement which included a double bed, a modern four poster with brown and cream linen. I poked my head through the two doors on the wall opposite the balcony; one led to an en-suite bathroom and the other was a dressing room.

In the bedroom, above a chest of drawers, hung a gigantic gilt framed mirror. I studied my reflection with a degree of puzzlement. I’m an expert on lucid dreams and I know it’s impossible to see one’s reflection during a dream. More confusion!

I studied myself. Adam Burbank looked back, six feet tall, grateful to appear early thirties, in reality I was edging on thirty nine. My build is satisfactory, though not exceptional, muscled without excess and with a fine tan. I wouldn’t look out of place on the beaches of Monaco.

I stepped up to the mirror to examine my face: clean shaven, smooth skinned with dark blue eyes, and a longish nose, not unlike John Lennon’s. I’ve been told it’s a handsome face, however if that’s true - which I doubt - it’s never benefited me. Women are a mystery ... but enough on that subject. I’ll return to it later.

I was unimpressed with my hair - it was blond and I didn’t know why I chose the colour as it didn’t suit me. It was too short, fashionable perhaps, and yet I was comfortable with longer hair. My natural colour is black, jet black. I stared at the mirror and willed it, but it was hopeless and remained blond. I gave up and picked up a cotton dressing gown from the bed. I was keen to explore my new home.

The lounge was spacious with a tiled floor and simple, yet expensive furniture - a quiet elegance. In the centre was a massive coffee table and, on each of three sides, were cream leather settees. The seating was arranged to benefit the view of the town, an outlook provided by the floor to ceiling window which filled the wall. There were well stocked book cases, an expensive sound system and the walls were covered with a selection of my favourite paintings and prints, including a Pollock and two Hockneys. Around the room were ornate lamps and vases filled with fresh flowers. I was impressed.

I decided further exploration of the apartment should wait. I was primed for breakfast. Croissant and coffee beckoned. The town was asleep, however the café owners would soon open for the early trade.

As I showered, I thought back to the row with Sam the previous evening. I felt sick as I recalled the way I’d treated her. Sometimes, I can be such a bastard.

Afterwards, in my bedroom, dressed in T-shirt, denims and sports sandals, I ran through the long pile carpet and launched head first from the balcony.

The exhilaration of flight was short-lived. I fell twenty metres and two seconds later, crashed onto a Mercedes convertible. My fall ripped open the canvas roof and I landed upon the gear stick. It punched through my throat.


England.

It was the blaze of sunshine that woke me. I shielded my eyes and searched the bedside cabinet for my watch. It wasn’t there, nor were my framed photos. At that point I remembered I wasn’t at home, I was at Dad’s house. I call it Dad’s, however until a while ago, it had been the family home. When Mum left him and took my sister and I, everything changed!

There was a hush and I assumed it was early since I couldn’t hear Dad’s morning practice on the guitar. It was normal when I woke to hear strumming as he grappled to position his fingers on the frets in his search for the elusive chords. He was a slow learner, but persistent and wouldn’t cease until he mastered it.

I knelt on the bed and inspected the garden. Dad adored the countryside. He lived in a cottage, set on the outskirts of a wood where there was always a fair chance of seeing local wildlife. Nothing as exciting as deer or anything larger than a badger. After all we lived a few miles from Birmingham, England’s second city. It was a pleasant morning and at the top of the lawn, out of cover of the woodland a squirrel foraged for food.

Thoughts of the long summer holiday ahead sent a thrill through me. There were nine weeks before the Michaelmas term in October, the promise of plenty of leisure time with the less enjoyable prospect of study. More immediate was the anticipation of the day ahead. We’d stopped the night at Dad’s to make an early start - it was to be a day out with the three of us, Dad, my sister Charlie and I. Since he sold his business in February, we spent plenty of time together, whereas when we were children, his time was rationed...

“Samantha!”

My day dream collapsed under Charlie’s bellow. She shuffled into the room and posed by the side of my bed as she knotted her dressing gown. She glared at me. I was unable to remember the last time she was out of bed before me, so I figured it was late.

It was obvious from her attitude she was in a mood - nothing unusual, however the clincher was her habit of calling me by my full name when she was cranky. Any other time I was Sam.

“It’s way past 10,” she snapped, “we should have left by now.”

I bounced off the bed, picked up my watch from the dressing table and somehow avoided the expletive used by Scarlett in Four Weddings when she overslept. My restraint was remarkable, particularly as Charlie’s annoyance was aimed at me.

“I’ve told you a million times, don’t exaggerate,” I told her. “It’s five past. We’ve all overslept.”

Despite her petulance, she was her usual stupefied state after she woke and I knew I must take charge. “Charlie, get ready while I wake Dad.” That would be the only time of day she would tolerate my authority.

“OK,” she mumbled as she made for the bathroom.

I well-nigh forgot. “Charlie!”

She turned, but remained where she was. “What?”

“Is she here?”

“No. I heard Dad ring her after you went to bed. He asked her not to come.”

“Good.”

“Oh, c’mon Sam. You know you like her.”

“I do, but she’s not much older than me. It’s ... it’s...” I shuddered.

“She’s far older than you. She’s twenty seven.”

“Only just. She’s nearer twenty six.” Whatever she said, I knew I was right. What’s more, I didn’t believe Dad liked her that much. They would never marry.

Charlie humphed. “I know your problem. Since Mum left, you don’t want him to have anyone else. Nobody’s good enough for Daddy’s little girl.”

She never learnt. So often, she used the phrase expecting it to niggle me, but it was the opposite. I may no longer be little, but I was pleased to be his girl. Whoever took Mum’s place, no-one would ever change that.

My kid sister glared at me, clearly waiting for a response.

She and I were near identical, so alike we were often mistaken for twin sisters, despite our age difference. She was seventeen, three years younger. We have black hair, mine short cut, just below the ears, with the recent addition of red lowlights and hers was down to her shoulders. Charlie was pretty and boys flocked around her, which gave her plenty of choice. I also attracted them, although I was more discriminating. Our main attraction were our charcoal grey eyes, large and with the combination of long eyelashes, were usually irresistible.

I guess Charlie realised I wasn’t going to argue. She shrugged and wandered away.

I fast-footed down the hall to the master bedroom and poked my head around the door. Charlie was right, he was alone. “Dad, we’re late.”

He was asleep, so I snuggled up.

Most of my girl friends considered twenty was far too old to have a friendly relationship with their fathers. To their way of thinking, girls were supposed to communicate with them when it was of vital importance, for example when they needed money! They would’ve been amazed to see me hug him, still I reckoned it was their loss.

“Hey, wake up!” I whispered into his ear. “We’re supposed to leave early. Remember?” He didn’t stir, however I saw his chest rise and fall.

I rocked him with my body. “Dad, wake up.”

I was considering what to do next when I remembered our argument the previous evening. Was that his problem? It started when I teased him about Nina, and what began as a joke, soon got out of hand. In view of the fight, I wondered if he pretended to sleep, although he’d never harboured a grudge before. First time, maybe? If it was a sulk, I wouldn’t allow it and I playfully grabbed his nose and squeezed hard. It had no effect. I sat up and shook him. I was rough, but he didn’t budge. In a final mix of increased fear and frustration, I shouted. More likely it came out as a scream.

He didn’t respond.

Charlie heard my noise and entered, whilst cleaning her teeth. “What’s up, Sam?” she mumbled through a mouthful of toothpaste.

“He won’t wake.”

“He’s pretending.”

“No, I’m sure he’s not. I’ve tried everything and you heard me yelling. Look at him, he appears normal enough.”

“I know what to do.” She winked. Obviously she didn’t share my concern. “Let’s pour water on him.”

She giggled as she warmed to the idea, shuffled into the en-suite and returned with a half full tumbler. She paused, no doubt expecting him to spring out of bed. When he didn’t, she frowned.

She sought my approval of what she planned and tacitly, I agreed.

She poured a spoonful on his neck.

Despite the cold deluge, he didn’t flinch. He lay, seemingly lifeless.

With the corner of my dressing gown, I dried his neck with gentle dabs, so as not to hurt him again. A coldness attacked me and spread through my body. I’d no idea what was wrong, although I had a terrible sense of foreboding.

I joined Charlie on her side of the bed, my fingers sought hers and, with ice cold hands entwined, we watched him.

After a few seconds I picked up his bedside phone and poised my finger over speed dial button 3. Charlie knew my intention, despite that I said, “I’ll ring Mum.”


Monaco

In my semiconscious darkness, I heard a chuckle. It was a faint sound, but deep.

“Who’s there?” I asked.

“It’s me, old boy.”

“This isn’t funny,” I growled. “What do you want?”

“To see the look on your face again. The one when you realised you couldn’t fly.” He sniggered. “That was hilarious.”

My darkness was nearing grey, my mind began to clear.

“Valerian, where are you? What’s happened to me?”

“Got to go, Adam,” he said. “TTFN.”

My eyes opened. There was no answer and I was alone.

I lay in the Merc, unable to move - my left arm useless and both legs broken. It was a slow awkward progress as I disentangled my neck from the gear change. In the rear view mirror, I watched the blood siphon into the gash and, as the last drops entered, the skin closed over the wound.

My useless legs dangled over the car door. I was obliged to push myself out of the car feet first by using my good arm. In time, my body reached a point beyond its centre of gravity, where its mass pulled it over the door. Like a stringless marionette, I collapsed onto the ground in a heap of loose limbs. My legs were bent forward at impossible angles, but as I watched, they pulled back, until with sharp cracks, the fractured bones clicked into place. Meanwhile, my left arm, dislocated at the shoulder, eased itself back into place with a satisfying clunk!

Although not in pain, I was in shock and needed to rest. After a while, I raised myself with the aid of the Merc and looked in. The inside was a wreck as, no doubt, was I. I was shaken and my legs were unsteady. It was a long drop from the balcony and, somewhere in the back of my mind, I recalled a similar experience on a theme park ride, except on that occasion, the girls and I were securely fastened.

I trudged to the front of the apartment building, where an ox of a man, the concierge, welcomed me at the entrance.

“Bonjour, Monsieur Burbank,” he bellowed. “Ça va?”

I exchanged greetings with the stranger, crossed the marble lobby to the lift and, by the time I reached my penthouse, I’d recovered from the shock.

Fifteen minutes later, in fresh clothes, I strode down to the port, while I re-acquainted myself with the sights, sounds and smells.

My main difficulty was that I was unable to stop thinking about my state. Was this a dream or not? In my dreams, I tended to be involved with people, but not then. It was too early for the aimless wanderings of the tourists, but the few locals that were around, ignored me. They moved as though they had a purpose, as though they had somewhere to go. Not one even glanced at me. It felt like real life, not a dream. Maybe a strong coffee would help.

I called into a tabac, bought a newspaper and continued toward the sea, as I relished the thought of my breakfast. I wasted a while as I eyed the harbour, before I wandered towards the Old Town.

I discovered a narrow cobbled road. It was more an alley, and part way up was a café, typical of the type used by the locals, small and basic with tables and chairs on the pavement. The ochre coloured brick of the building contrasted with the wooden frontage, from which the red paint had started to flake. It was shabby, with a style incompatible with an area which has more residing millionaires that any other place in the world. More important, it had atmosphere and comfort, the ideal spot to relax and ponder, to isolate the normal from the abnormal. I relaxed onto a pavement chair.

Within a few minutes, the proprietor stepped into the fresh air and greeted me. He scratched his ample stomach, licked the stub end of his pencil and took my order.

I finished the remnants of my brioche, downed my third coffee and scowled at Le Monde. Folding it in half, I threw the newspaper on the table in disgust. It was a disappointment to discover I was unable to read it - it was gibberish. The French language was not the problem - with an English newspaper it would have been the same.

My exasperation was short-lived due to an agreeable interruption:

“Pardon, Monsieur,” whispered a husky voice.

Alone at the next table sat a woman. She was glamorous, stylish and in her mid twenties, I guessed. In her hand she held a Gauloise, its whiteness in contrast with the bronze of her slender fingers. She moistened her lips and with slow deliberation, pushed the cigarette tip between them. The move was practised and provocative. Above a coquettish smile, her brown eyes bored into mine and, as she shifted her knees so we were in contact, her body curved towards me.

“Monsieur?”

What does she want? I sensed her prime desire wasn’t to borrow my lighter. It was just as well, I didn’t possess one. This is what dreams are made of, I mused, a beautiful woman making a pass.

I’d minimal experience with such a situation and was uneasy over my next move. I adore women - prefer their company to men’s - however I’m pathetic at romance and almost always act like a clown. I recalled a book lent to me by an office colleague, Seduction Made Easy. The opening chapter was, ‘The Chat Up.’ Despite my reservations with regard to the benefit of a book found in the Humour section of Borders, it was all I could think of.

I was about to test one of the chat ups when she continued, “You are English, Monsieur?”

I was affronted by her question. I’d just read a French newspaper. Well, as far as she was concerned, I had, and when I ordered my breakfast, my accent was faultless. English? Moi?

It would have been priggish to show my mild irritation, so I introduced myself with a pleasant, “Oui, Mademoiselle. Je m’appelle Adam.”

Her long hair matched the colour of her eyes. She pushed it back from her face and let her hand continue downwards. For a tantalising moment, it lingered over my knee before it fell into her lap.

“Hello, Adam. I am Giselle.”

It was tiresome. Those of us who love to speak French, inevitably meet the locals who practise their anglais on us.

Before I was able to proceed, she went on. “Have you visited Monaco before?”

“Oui.”

She pouted and shrugged. “Oh well,” she sighed, “it is a pity.” She was on her feet, ready to leave.

I had to think quick. “I was ten years old,” I lied. It was blatant, yet I hated to disappoint her and she grinned broadly as she sat.

“Très bien. Would you like me to show you my town?”

I gazed into her wide open eyes and strained to exert a Gaulish accent. I mustered my most seductive voice and whispered, “Merci beaucoup, Mademoiselle.” My courage failed me and I stumbled on the words. It was rubbish. Even to my English ears it sounded pathetic,. To a French native, it must have been abysmal. ‘Monsieur Cool’ I wasn’t, and I knew I’d blown it.

She was slow to react and there was a loud, tortuous silence, broken only by her soft breathing. She was exquisite and her passionate expression spun my head with excitement. She removed the cigarette and allowed it to fall to the pavement.

The world paused as she leant forward to kiss me. There was a delicate softness as her warm breath caressed me, before the passion of her lips pressed against mine.

I was dumbfounded, both by the intimacy and the thrill.

She stopped and, as our lips parted, she studied me, first my mouth, then my eyes.

Her tongue smoothed over her top lip as though relishing the taste. “Let’s go, Adam,” she purred.

I decided if she insisted we talk in English, it was right I should spend time with her to ... to help her vocabulary. “Yes, of course,” I agreed, without any attempt to disguise my accent.

She stood before me in a rouge dress that clung to her body. My eyes locked into her’s and I felt my insides melt. She was amazing.

I forced my eyes from her face and scanned the bill. I slipped change into the saucer, before once more, I feasted my eyes on her beauty.

We left the café and strolled up the hill away from the seafront. Giselle’s cool fingers captured my hand and squeezed.

For a moment, I considered how good life was. I was confused, but far from afraid - fear would come later. However, for the remainder of that first day, my exclusive thought was of the adorable woman who entered my life.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.