Restored - Cover

Restored

Copyright© 2017 by MichaelT65

Chapter 10

Turning on the radio, I tuned it to my favourite station, one of my all time favourites was playing by The Doors, pushing the volume up, I said to Lisa.

“Is that ok Angel?”

“Perfect only one problem, where is the storm?”

Just after The University of Hertfordshire towards the M25, I was cruising at around 40mph on the dual carriageway. Suddenly next to me appeared a BMW M5, the driver started cruising next to me. Slowly stepping on the accelerator, I went to 60mph, changing the gear to fifth when I had some distance. Checking the side view mirror, I saw the BMW coming up next to me fast, as he passed me, I Threw the Vantage into fourth gear, I then floored the accelerator. The needle to the revs gauge reaching near the red mark as the engine roared like a lion. The Aston Martin went from 60 to 100mph in seconds, as I watched the BMW in my rear view mirror disappear behind me. Just before the M25, I slowed back down to 50mph as the Bimmer flew past me.

“Know that you have that out of your system can we drive safely for the rest of the journey?” Lisa said.

“Did you see that he didn’t have a chance?” Contented with my achievement.

Looking over, Lisa was sitting there with her arms crossed across her chest, with her eyebrow frowned, she said. “Boys will be boys.”

The rest of the journey I drove at a steady speed, both of us enjoying the trip into London. The surprise party for mum was at 4 pm. It was early to go to the party, as I didn’t want to spoil the surprise. I drove to Alexandra Palace. We sat at one of the picnic tables enjoying our beverage. Without a single cloud in the sky, you could see London as far as the eye can see.

“You haven’t said a single word since we got into London. Like now, you’re sitting there staring out into space.” Lisa said as she stroked my hand.

Looking into her eyes, I spoke. “I’m scared they might reject me.”

Looking at her watch, she said. “Hey everything will be ok, you’ll see, come on let’s go it’s almost four.” Taking the cup from me, she put it on the table. Holding my hand, we walked back to the car. Getting in the car, I started the short journey to my mum’s house, stopping at a local florist to get some flowers.

Parking the car across the street from the house, we both started walking towards the entrance. Standing there, staring at the front door, holding Lisa by the hand tight, trying to compose myself, what to say when the door opens. Reaching out to press the doorbell struggling while holding the flowers in the same hand, I jump back when the door suddenly opened. A lady rushes out of the house, running down the path. A second woman appears from inside which I recognise straight away.

She shouts to the one running. “Don’t forget the... !” She noticed me standing there. It was my sister Jane. She just stood there staring at me, not knowing how to react.

“Hi, Jane.”

She ran at me, embracing me while squeezing me tight in her arms. “I am so sorry for what I said that night, please forgive me, Steve. Putting her head on my shoulder, she started crying.

Stroking the back of her head while I held her tight, whispering in her ear. “Hey, everything is ok now.” Wiping the tears from her eyes with my thumb. “We can’t have mum seen you like this on her birthday.”

Smiling at me she took my hand, pulling me into the house, dragging me through a crowded living room into the kitchen, Lisa following behind. Reaching her destination, she shouted. “Mum!”

She had her back to us. Hearing Jane’s voice, she turned quickly to face us. I was standing not more than a meter from her, face to face. Opening her arms, she looked up at the ceiling as she said. “Thank you, Lord, for answering my prayers.” Stepping forward, she embraced me as she cried tears of happiness.

The next few hours we celebrated mums birthday, the family came to wish her a happy birthday, everyone was delighted to see me back. My brother and sister were interrogating Lisa to see if she was good enough for me. Mum loved her straight away, thanking Lisa for standing by me. Everything was perfect until an unexpected visitor came to the party. It was Tony, the owner of the café I was in the evening before I visited Barry.

“We need to talk in private Steve.” Leading him outside to the garden, sliding close the patio door behind him.

Seen the series look on his face, I was sure it was something to do with that evening in his café. “Tony I am sorry about what happened at your restaurant that night. I promise I won’t come again.”

“Steve I couldn’t care less what those bums did that night, as far as I know, you were ok. You did whatever any reasonable person would have done, just walked away. It’s regards something else I need to talk to you about.” What Tony said to me next shocked me so much, I was shaking from anger. Picking up one of the garden chairs I smashed it against the wall, as it disintegrated in my hand. Opening the patio door, Chris appeared. “What’s happened Steve is everything ok?

“I need to go, Chris.”

“What’s happened, Steve, don’t you run away again.”

“I have to go and find him now!” I shouted as I pushed Chris out of the way, rushing out of the house towards the car. Getting into the driver’s seat, I held the steering wheel so tight my knuckles went white. Looking ahead of me, standing in front of the car was Lisa.

With her hands on the bonnet, she shouted. “What’s going on Steve?” Looking to my right, Jane and Chris just stood there waiting to see what will happen next.

“This is my problem Lisa, not yours or anyone else’s! So can you move out of the way!” I shouted. Starting the engine, I revved it a couple of times, hoping it would make her move out of the way.

Shaking her head from left to right, she replied. “No Steve, your problems are my problems as well.” Pointing over to Chris and Jane, she also said. “They have a saying to this as well.”

Not to delay anymore I shouted. “Get in the car!” As Chris and Jane climbed into the back seat, Lisa got on the passenger side. I put my foot down on the accelerator, rushing to get to my destination as soon as possible. It didn’t take Chris long to see where I was heading. Once I parked the car outside the house, he confirmed it to the others.

“Jesus Christ this is Cody’s house, this isn’t going to end well,” Chris said.

“Is that the guy... !”

Before Lisa could finish her sentence, I finished it for her. “Yes, that’s the guy I was in the accident with a few years back.” Climbing out of the car, I started walking towards the house. The others following me like pilot fish following a shark. I wanted to tell them to wait in the car, but that would have triggered another argument with Lisa.

Without any delay, I started ringing the bell, leaving my finger on it longer than you normally would. “Ok I’m coming, I heard you.” It was a male voice. It sounded like Cody. When the door opened, it wasn’t Cody. It was his father.

“What the hell are you doing here, you’ve got some balls showing your face on my doorstep.” Was his reaction as soon as he saw me.

He stepped forward, expected me to back up, but I did the opposite, coming to the point why I was there. “I want to speak to Cody?”

“Cody doesn’t live here anymore. What do you want with my son? Did you just get out of jail, what you’re looking to buy some drugs?”

Clutching his shirt with one hand, I pulled my arm back, ready to slam my fist into him. That is when I felt someone pull my arm back. Standing there was Sarah, Cody’s sister. It seemed life hadn’t been too good to her. She was half the weight of the person I knew six years ago. She had dark shadows under her eyes. Seen her like that, I released her father at once.

“Go inside dad. I’ve got this” Without saying anything her father just walked back into the house.

Once her father was out of view, I looked at her for a while before I spoke. “Sarah I need an honest answer from you. The night of the accident what happened after we left Mcdonald’s?

“You know what happened Steve. We got into that terrible accident, where that boy lost his life.”

Putting my hands on her shoulder’s I gave her a little shake, scared to put any pressure as she looked so brittle. “Who was driving, when the accident happened Sarah?”

“You were driving, can’t you remember?”

Shaking her a little harder, at the same time squeezing her arms harder, I repeated myself with the tone of my voice higher. “Who was driving the car, Sarah?”

She looked at me, her eyes then focused on the others behind me. Shaking her slightly, she turned her vision back to me staring at me straight in the eyes. Looking at her, I waited for the answer I wanted to hear.

Turning her head to look away she answered. “Cody was driving the car that night. He was the one that crashed the car, killing that boy. You were too wasted to walk not alone drive.”

“Why say I was driving? Sending me to prison for so many years, locking me up? Why Sarah? I said as I released her from my grip.

I am sorry Steve, he threatened me. He said if I said anything he would hurt me bad, make my life a misery. Forget about him Steve he’s a bad man, an evil man.”

“Where is he?”

“He race’s with other drivers for money now.”

Where?

“Please forget about him and carry on with your life.”

Where does he race, Sarah? I shouted.

“On Sunday they race at Lieutenant Ellis Way, near Cheshunt in Broxbourne.”

“That’s the road after the big roundabout for the M25, near Broxbourne FC!” Chris shouted from behind. Lisa and Jane turn to him, giving him a dirty look.

“What did I do?” Chris said.

“It’s not what you did. It’s what you said dumb ass.”

Driving to Broxbourne, all four of us were silent. You could sense the tension in the car. Focused on the drive, calmed me down a bit, I was still angry with Cody, but at the end of the day, he did save my life by pulling me out of the burning vehicle. Lisa just stared out of the windshield, probably thinking what I will do next. Chris and Jane must have been thinking the same as Lisa as they were quiet as well.

It was starting to get dark when we reached our destination. Driving down Lieutenant Ellis Way, I could see in the distance a brightly lit area. The lights were coming from Broxbourne FC’s car park. Slowly driving into the car park, it felt like entering a car racing movie scene. With the parking full of cars modified with aftermarket body kits.

Gathered next to a small structure, which seemed like the football grounds changing rooms, I noticed a group of young men standing around two vehicles. Letting the Vantage roll slowly towards the crowd, trying not to rev the engine too much, not to attract anyone’s attention.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.