Restored - Cover

Restored

Copyright© 2017 by MichaelT65

Chapter 2

When I left the Auto show, I went straight back to the Inn. Locking the Yamaha back in the garage, I headed for the main door of the Inn. Once I was inside, I started making my way upstairs, that is when I heard the crashing sound of breaking glass.

Turning towards the corridor leading to the bar I shouted. “Is that you Billy?” When you called Billy, he would rush towards you. But this time there was no Billy. I slowly started making my way to the entrance of the bar, with my hand on the wall ready to switch the lights on, surprising any intruders. Reaching the switch, I pushed all four buttons down at the same time, illuminating the area from darkness to daylight. Squinting my eyes from the light, I quickly scanned the area for any intruders, seeing there wasn’t anyone I breathed a sigh of relief.

Seen some tables with glasses on them, I took a tray from the bar to collect them. Hearing someone mumbling the words of a popular song I quickly turned. “This used to be my playground; This used to be my childhood dream; This used to be the place I ran to.” In a corner table was Patsy, with a full bottle of Jack Daniel’s in her hand. When I got closer, on the floor was a broken bottle. She emptied one bottle and was getting ready to start on her second. As she lifted the bottle to take a sip, I reached and took it from her hand.

With a frowned look she said. “Why did you do that? Because you don’t drink, it doesn’t mean others can’t. Why don’t you drink Steve? What’s your story?”

Shaking my head, I said. “I’ll make us some coffee, we can both do with some,” I went to the bar, turning on the coffee machine. As I prepared the cups to pour the coffee, Patsy stumbled to the bar sitting on one of the stalls. Pointing her finger at a bottle of Jack Daniel’s.

“Give me a shot of that?” She said.

“What is it with you and whisky?” I shouted.

“I was pretty when I met Paul. I was twenty-two, he was twenty-five. We had been together for a year; we loved each other so much. He was in the army, that is when the Gulf War started. We made a pledge when he returns we would get married. Operation Granby, they called it, forty-seven British troop died, Paul was one of them.” Tears were running down her cheeks.

Getting up, she made her way to one of the large leather couches. Taking my coffee, I followed her, just to make sure she was ok. She lied on her side, just staring into space as she carried on with her story. “After that, it was one tragedy to the next. Five years later, mum died of cancer. That day I lost both of my parents, dad was not the same after her death, he would just sit in front of the TV, staring at it. Within six months I lost him as well. The doctor said it was a heart attack. I called it a broken heart.” Curling up she closed her eyes.

Getting a blanket, I covered her then leant over kissed her on the cheek, whispering in her ear. “Good night boss.”

I woke up to Billy’s barking, looking at the clock it was nearly twelve. “Shit I should have been up an hour ago.” Jumping out of bed, I ran into the shower. It was almost twelve-thirty when I went downstairs.

“Sorry Patsy, I overslept.”

She was standing by one of the tables; it was set up for breakfast. “Sit down before it gets cold.”

“Shouldn’t we open up, you’re going to lose business?”

“Didn’t you read the sign I put on the door yesterday?”

Opening the main door, I looked on the outer side of it. There written on an A4 sheet of white paper, it said. “Closed all day Monday.” Turning to Patsy, I said. “But the customers.”

Standing there with her hands crossed she shouted. “It’s getting cold!”

I can’t remember the last time that I had breakfast like that. It was so good that I cleaned the plate by gathering the remainder of the beans with a piece of toast. “Now that was a five-star breakfast, can you tell me why we have a chef?” I said while sipping my coffee.

Sitting opposite me she looked at me and smiled. I could see she wanted to say something. “Steve I want to apologise for last night, the way I made a fool of myself.” Gathering the plates from the table, she continued to speak. “When I was coming to the Inn this morning. I stopped at the supermarket to get some items. I bumped into some locals. They told me they saw you yesterday at the show, a couple of them are interested in buying your bike?”

“It’s not for sale!” I said with my voice raised.

“Hey, they just told me to ask you, no need to shoot the messenger.”

“Sorry, Patsy I don’t know what came over me. You asked me why I don’t drink? What my story is?” Getting up, I went to the kitchen, grabbed the filter coffee jug plus two cups. “Let’s sit on the couch.” Getting up she followed, I let her sit down first then I sat next to her. Billy jumped on the couch between us, putting his head on Patsy’s legs.

Taking a deep breath, I started to speak. “I grew up in North London. I went to public school. I was an average student like my brother and sister. Yes, I have two siblings, my sister Jane is one year older than me, and my brother Chris is two years younger. Mum was a housewife. Dad was a car mechanic for a well-established company.”

“Sorry to interrupt you, Steve, you said your mum was a housewife, and your dad was a mechanic?”

“When I was sixteen my father was diagnosed with cancer. His weight was 95 kilos a year later one month before he died his weight was 70 kilos. He couldn’t eat or sleep. His main worry was, what will happen to his family.” Turning away so Patsy wouldn’t see me I wiped my eyes.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.