Lyrissa Shander - Cover

Lyrissa Shander

Copyright© 2017 Soelanar Entertainment Inc.

Chapter 7

“Fantastic work, Mace!” Belica Meadows smiled brightly at the dark-haired young man.

“Thank you, Belica,” Maicylin Willowbrook replied, returning her smile.

Maicylin Willowbrook - or ‘Mace’ as he prefered - was the head of Prism’s newest security force. The Watchdogs, as they were being called. He was also the oldest son of Baron and Baroness Willowbrook, political allies and friends to Belica and Lyrissa Shander.

“Agreed,” Rae Hitema said. Rae noted the way Maicylin was smiling at Belica’s profile. “Even though you were technically exceeding your mandate.”

Maicylin looked at Rae’s face and caught the knowing look directed his way. The younger man’s cheeks flushed and his gentle smile vanished.

“No need to be hard on him.” Belica seemed oblivious to the undertones between the two men. “It all worked out in the end.”

“Just being proactive,” Maicylin said quickly, avoiding Rae’s eye. “It’s easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.”

“True enough,” Rae agreed.

“You don’t mind if I take care of the video for the conference call, do you?” Maicylin asked.

“Not at all,” Belica said. “You’re far better at this stuff than I am.”

Maicylin nodded eagerly. He slid over to position himself in front of the keyboard then started to type away.

“You should just upgrade your office to use Ora,” Rae said while Maicylin flashed through screens and menus almost faster than Belica could register them. “The voice interface is much more user-friendly.”

“You mean Belica-friendly,” Belica grimaced self-deprecatingly.

“We all have different strengths and weaknesses, in accordance with the Ancestors will,” Maicylin said as he continued to type without pause. “Even I use Ora, except when I’m coding. Our techs could set it up in a couple of hours.”

Belica smiled even as she shook her head and sighed. “You’re right. I’ve been resistant to this stuff for too long. Lyrissa tells me the same thing all the time.”

“She’s okay, isn’t she?” Maicylin looked at Belica with concern. “I feel like I failed her. I should have known.”

“Don’t be silly,” Belica scolded him gently. “None of us could have known there was a thrall at Portent, let alone one so highly placed.”

Maicylin’s jaw set stubbornly. “It’s my job to know. As the head of your Watchdogs I should have anticipated the possibility.”

“Predicting the future isn’t in your job description,” Rae said wryly. “Not yet anyways. Unless you ‘proactively’ started recruiting for Phase Three as well?”

Maicylin grinned. “Just research. There’s only so much forgiveness I’m willing to beg for.”

“Do you anticipate any problems recruiting for Phase Three?” Belica asked.

“Finding qualified necromancers will be tough,” Maicylin admitted. “The I.G.N.M. had a waiting list as long as my arm for Journeymen applications.”

“Even longer for Masters I take it?” Belica asked.

“It doesn’t quite work that way for Masters,” Rae said. “There’s no waiting list for Masters because they choose their own assignments.”

Maicylin nodded his agreement. “Father says even those who work with the military do so at essentially their own discretion. A Guild-bonded Master is automatically equivalent in rank to an Imperial Army Colonel. They can even command units deployed in the field.”

Belica’s eyes widened. “That’s a lot of power to grant civilians, isn’t it?”

“There are those who agree,” Maicylin shrugged. “Especially among the more liberal members of the House of Commons, according to Father. But the Imperial Guild of Necromantic Magic is under the direct control of the Avatar Empress just as she controls the military. The politicians can bleat all they want but there’s nothing they can do about it.”

Rae folded his hands together on top of his ample belly. “As far as we’re concerned it means the only way we’ll recruit a Master Necromancer for the Watchdogs is if one of them contacts us.” Rae looked at the younger man intently. “Which is why young Maicylin here will focus his efforts on recruiting Journeymen.”

“That ... and necromancers from outside of the Empire,” Maicylin said challengingly.

Rae frowned as he shook his head impatiently. “We’ve discussed this many times. It’s too risky. Besides ... anyone we recruited would have to be certified by the Guild or Prism would be in loads of trouble.”

“Mashalan necromancers are every bit as skilled as Soelanarans even without the restrictions of the Guild,” Maicylin threw back stubbornly. “Delmire already follows the Guild certifications to the letter. Nurdele doesn’t ... but when it comes to magic there is little the Nurdelese haven’t mastered.”

“Mashalan necromancers are puppets of the State,” Rae argued, “and as for those in the Commonwealth... !”

“Thank you gentlemen!” Belica interrupted very firmly. “That’s quite enough for now!”

Rae and Maicylin both turned to look at her. The slight blonde had a stern look on her usually ever-cheerful face.

“You’ll each have the opportunity to present your views during the conference call. Lyrissa will make her final decision.”


Lyrissa Shander watched the frozen image come to life on the cube-like holoterminal. A group of four people in black, military-looking uniforms armed with an assortment of dangerous-looking weapons. They were indoors, gathered in what appeared to be a large room with stark walls.

The black-clad men and women sprang into action, rushing further into the large room. As the camera panned jerkily around to follow them it revealed the mock-up of an office-building. Cubicles, desks and chairs were laid out on the floor and there were even dummies in all the seats. The military-looking group of people rapidly navigated through the obstacles and closed in on a single desk which had a live person dressed in civilian clothes.

The woman in civilian clothes leapt to her feet when she noticed one of the intimidating figures approaching and pulled a hidden gun from out of her desk. But before she could bring it to bear one of the black-clad figures aimed a box-like device with metal prongs at her. Belica watched the box closely ... but though nothing visibly happened, the woman in civilian clothes went instantly rigid.

Then a buzzer sounded. Everyone in the video broke from their intense focus and immediately relaxed.

“This was a takedown exercise.” The training video disappeared, replaced by the split-screen images of the conference call’s participants. Maicylin Willowbrook was speaking. “In the event that a subversive is identified and presumed to be armed.”

“I for one am pleased that no dummies were harmed,” Farketh said gravely.

Lyrissa smiled at the green-skinned trolls humour. Rae Hitema - visible in the same frame with Maicylin and Belica - chuckled.

“There’ll be no dead dummies on my watch, sir,” Maicylin replied gamely. “Not if I have anything to say about it!”

This time Lyrissa joined the others in general laughter.

Lyrissa was in her suite at the Torvan Interchange Centre in Hacon’s Vision. Orthin was present with her as they sat in front of a communications terminal. Thick carpet covered the floor and several vibrant artworks from Lyrissa’s personal collection decorated the spacious interior. Aside from her mansion on the outskirts of Astagar - which Lyrissa had owned since her career as an actress - this suite in the T.I.C. was the nearest to her heart.

“I’m pleased with what you’ve accomplished so far, Mace,” Lyrissa said.

A slow smile was forming on Maicylin’s lips as he basked in the praise. “Thank you, Lyrissa. I won’t let you down.”

“I’m sure you won’t,” Lyrissa nodded easily. “Now that you don’t have to hide those gaping holes in your department’s finances.”

Maicylin’s smile became a bit sheepish. “Was I that obvious?” he asked.

Lyrissa smiled briefly. “I had to add some creative editing of my own to cover for you with Prism’s Board. Some of the more ... reluctant members wouldn’t have been happy seeing you take such liberties without approval.”

“As one of those reluctant Board members I would have to agree with your assessment,” Farketh’s said. The amused twitch of the green-skinned troll’s ears belied the glare he directed out his screen.

“You were the victims of an attack,” Orthin dun Maltos said. “Someone you trust ... someone close to you was forced to betray you. That there are those out there willing to commit such crimes against you changes your view of things.”

After Lyrissa had reviewed her missing memories with Doctor Wun, the medically-trained necromancer had gradually returned them to her. Lyrissa had been appalled at her treatment of Orthin. Yes, Avatar Empress Shalini Dalvoer had used Eclipse to set her trap. Yes, Orthin dun Maltos had been ordered to participate. But the end result had been to save Lyrissa’s life and reveal a traitor at Portent.

“We’ve made some progress in the investigation,” Farketh was saying. “Thavis had some very secret files buried in his computer at work. It took us a while to decrypt them but they reveal some interesting activities and connections. Also some disturbing ones.”

“Anything on how he became enthralled?” Lyrissa asked.

“None so far,” the C.E.O. of Portent replied.

“What did you mean by ‘disturbing’, sir?” Maicylin asked in turn.

“You’ll see for yourself soon enough,” Farketh said firmly. “I’ve emphasized to Portent’s security teams the importance of full integration with your Watchdogs. You should be getting several calls as soon as we’re done here. If you don’t ... I want to hear about it.”

Maicylin’s facial expression was as startled as it was pleased. “Thank you, sir.”

“What can you tell the rest of us about the findings, briefly?” Lyrissa asked.

Farketh’s long ears drooped slightly. “That Thavis was a man leading a double life for years,” he said in a subdued voice. “He held offshore accounts based in the Wyverntails and he’s also been funneling information to an outside contact. Our security people don’t know where exactly ... somewhere in the Nurdelese Commonwealth. The details are being investigated by Imperial law enforcement.”

“He was siphoning information to a front for the Children of Life,” Orthin stated calmly. “One of the factions within the Hobrinite Bloodline.”

Orthin’s words instantly made him the focus of attention.

“The Hobrinites are spying on us?” Rae exclaimed incredulously.

“How can you possibly know that?” Maicylin demanded right after.

Lyrissa’s thoughts had raced as she turned to the man beside her. “Any confirmation from the Guild on how long he’s been enthralled?”

Orthin shook his head. “Several months at least. Not longer than a year.”

Lyrissa glanced next towards Farketh’s image. “Wasn’t Thavis originally born in the Commonwealth?”

“His family emigrated to the Empire when he was still a child,” Farketh replied and Lyrissa nodded.

“What’re you thinking, Babes?” Belica asked curiously.

Lyrissa looked towards her best friend’s image. “I think it’s a setup,” she said thoughtfully. “Whoever enthralled Thavis and forced him to try to assassinate me wanted to frame either the Hobrinite Bloodline itself or the entire Nurdelese government.”

Belica’s eyes widened. “Wow! Are you sure?”

“Reasonably so,” Lyrissa shrugged with just one shoulder.

“It certainly makes more sense than the Hobrinites doing it themselves,” Orthin said.

The former naval officer’s voice was fairly even. But to Lyrissa’s ear it carried an undertone of admiration.

“I guess I’ll be the first one to admit it, Lyrissa,” Rae said. He leaned back in his chair and heaved a sigh. “You’ve completely lost me on this one.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.