Tales From Mist World
Chapter 23: Tributes Large and Small

Copyright© 2017 by Anotherp08

Jake and Catherine were awoken by Rebecka thirty minutes before the Pride was due back. They showered and dressed quickly. Catherine insisted he wear his dress uniform. While she wore one of her standard ships uniforms. When he asked why. She said, “For the tribute you need to shine brighter than I do. I’ll change into a regular dress before we leave the ship. Go check on the ship and reassure yourself everything has been done. I’ll make sure everything is ready for your family. Then double check on the refreshments.”

He gave her a kiss, and she adjust the way his weapons belt hung. Then she swatted him on the rear and ordered him out. As he exited their cabin May handed him a mug of caff. Jake smiled his thanks and sipped it as he walked to the bridge. By the time he got there, the mug was nearly empty.

Jake went straight to pot of Caff on the table at the back and refilled his mug. As he did he asked, “Status please?”

Bowmen had the watch until after the tribute. Then Gran would take the duty and bring them into port. Bowmen said, “We are holding at twenty miles from the port beacon lights. Just as Miss Williams requested. Her and Paul took off in the song. She refused to allow anyone else onboard. She also said the show would start exactly at five. The port knows we are here. they sent out two scouts. They asked if we needed assistance. We informed them we didn’t, and we were holding to pay tribute to a recently departed member of our crew. They asked for clarification. So, I sent enjoy the fireworks. They’ll start at five. I also mentioned they didn’t want to go near the song. Paul flashed us a message said they were on station and holding. He asked me to tell you Bridge is smiling. Does that mean something?”

“It means we needs to fins some waxed cotton for every one’s ears. My little sis plans to send a message so loud even the gods will take notice. If I’m wrong, I’ll eat my new hat.” Jake said. “Anything else? Have we heard from the Pride?”

“Yes, they should be here any time. They have your mom and everyone else. A half hour ago, Bruce sent they were leaving the dock. Five minutes ago, he sent they were passing the beacons. That is all I have to report Captain. It was a busy night.” Bowmen said Jake sat in the command chair and talked with bowmen and the others, as he drank his caff. Catherine joined them about four- forty. A few minutes later the lookouts repotted that a ship approaching from the port. Then they reported the Pride was signaling its arrival. Jake escorted Catherine down to the scout hold. They stood on the upper catwalk as the Pride maneuvered in through the open doors. The crew made quick work of securing her to the lower rail and passing a gangplank across. Jake stayed out of the way until the crew finished. He noted they had gotten pretty good ad this ad hock set up.

He smiled as he saw Tomas escort his mother out on to the Pride’s deck. He whispered to Catherine, “You nervous?”

“Yes” she hissed low.

“Just tell her you plan to have lots of kids and she’ll love you forever.” Jake said with a chuckle.

“You’re not funny Jake.” She isn’t going to be very happy we didn’t wat so she could be at our wedding.”

“You are wrong about that. She will be so happy I finally got married missing the ceremony won’t matter. She normally complains I would never find a wife while I had that horrible mistress. She’ll love you.” Jake said By then Tomas had helped his mom off the pride and onto the catwalk. Jake stepped forward and swept her up off her feet. “Hey mom guess what I found?” he said then kissed her cheek.

“You buffoon. Put me down.” When he spun her around again she swatted him and said, “I said put me down.” He did. “I see getting married has helped with your manners. Has it?”

“Now mom you know I have perfect manners.” Jake said

“I know they have never been used so they must be perfect. Your father’s old excuses won’t save you. Now introduce me to my new daughter, or I swear I tan your hide if I have to pay half your crew to help me.”

“Yes mom.” Jake escorted his mother over to where Catherine was standing and introduced the two. Then he was summarily dismissed to help his sister with the kids. He barely turned around in time keep from getting tackled by Mathew. The boy just kept saying uncle Jake over and over.

By the time his family was off the Pride and had all been greeted Bruce called, “Captain Ten till.”

“Thank Bruce.” He turned and said, “Ok who want to see the fireworks. The kids all started jumping up and down, say me. “The we need to go on deck. we can’t see anything from down here with the door closed. Catherine love would you lead the way please?”

“Yes dear. I’m sure your crew is already forming on deck it wouldn’t do for their captain to be late would it. She took Molly’s arm and led the group off the catwalk an into the ship. Then led the group up to deck. Jake gave her a quick kiss as he hurried by them once they reached the deck.

Jake moved to the head of the formation and called, “Detail, stand at ease. I won’t repeat everything I said last night. I always hated it when my captains did that. Saying it twice doesn’t make it sound any better. You young officers remember that. Detail, Attention. Millie would come up and say a few words.”

Millie walked out in front of the formation. She said, “There are many things I could say about my husband. I could tell you how he burned down his parents’ home at a young age that threw colored sparks high into the sky. I could tell you how I often had to remind him to eat, or about the many times I found him in his robe or small clothes in his lab, because he got an idea in his sleep and had to work it out right then. Jake gave the best elegy anyone could for my husband. Short and to the point. Maynard would have approved. So, let’s see what my husband taught his little girl shall we?” she turned and hugged Jake clutching him tight.

Jake called, “Detail, fall out for observation of the tribute. Dismissed”

The two stood there like that until Bruce called out one minute. Then they moved over and joined Catherine and his family. Bruce started counting down from twenty seconds. At one three bright white light streaked off into the night to explode simultaneously at exactly five am. They would later learn the concussion from those three rattled windows across the dock. When they detonated, they threw off bright circle of red blue and green. If that had been all there was it would have been impressive. For the next thirty minutes one or two rockets flew like clockwork every thirty seconds. Then there was a full minute where nothing flew. Someone if the show was over. In answer twenty-one rockets flew into the night.

Jake bellowed, “Brace and cover the children’s ears Now!” he knelt and grabbed little Molly putting both hand over her ears as she watched the bright streaks go ever higher. Catherine knelt next to him doing the same for his niece Mary. Jake had heard the rolling thunder of ships firing continuous volley. That paled when compared to Bridget’s farewell to her father. The concussion from so many rocket going off could be felt as far away as the port beacons. Anyone on the ship who hadn’t covered their ears heard ringing for hours.

When the last of the light faded, Jake removed hands from his niece’s ears. She grinned at him and said, “wow” Jake laughed. He carried picked up and held her on his hip. Then walked over smiled and asked, “are you hungry?” she nodded so Jake took her over to get one of the pastries that were set out.

Jake heard someone say, they were sure anyone who hadn’t planned to get up early today was out of luck. He had Molly balanced on his hip trying to hold her and give her bites of the roll she was eating when one of the bridge crew tapped him on the shoulder and tried to whisper something to him. Jake shook his head, and said “My ears are ringing.”

The man pointed out a ship approaching and slowly mouthed chancellor. Jake nodded and the man ran back to the bridge. He returned to his family and said, “Sis you need to take Molly. Catherine Tomas and I have to go have a meeting with the King’s envoy.” Melisa eyes went wide but she hurried to take her daughter. “Tomas Let wait for him in our sitting room. That way he has to request you leave.” Tomas nodded. As the three of them made their way towards the bridge house May and Rebecka joined them. As the went in Jake saw Gran head to great the ship.

A few minutes later Jake and Catherine were seated together on one couch with Tomas in a winged back chair near them. Rebecka stood in one corner and May stood near the door with her serving cart. The men were drinking caff and Catherine was drinking tea, when a knock was cut off in the middle and the door was thrown open. A tall skinny man with liver spots stormed into the room and began yelling, “You foolish girl. You think that little demonstration will scare the king.”

Jake tune the man out and set his cup on the table. Then he stood and crossed the room. When he got there his sword was at the man’s throat. causing him to splutter to a stop. “You will remain silent. How dare you enter the duchess chambers uninvited.” The man tried to interrupt, but Jake just kept going, “I said silence. You try to speak again before I give you permission and I swear I will throw you over the side of this ship after I cut your throat. If you think I won’t, you’re an idiot. When the king hears how you forced your way into the duchess’s sitting room and then started screaming insults at her, he’ll be forced to pardon me for defending the duchess’s honor.” The man’s eyes went wide. “Now you will remove yourself from this room. You will return to the hallway and close the door. Then you will knock and await the duchess’s permission to enter. Then you will calmly open the door and present yourself properly showing her the full and proper curtesy she is entitled. Then you will conduct this meeting in a civil manner. You make one demand one threat, and as the high protector of Bedford I will challenge you to a dual to the death on the spot. Since I am the high protector you won’t even get a champion. Are we clear?” the man nodded. Jake removed his sword point. Then sheathed the blade and took one step back, and stared the old man in eyes.

The chancellor backed out of the room closing the door as he went. Jake returned to sit by Catherine, and resumed drinking his caff. After two full minutes the was a timid knock on the door. Catherine nodded to Rebecka, and she answered the door. After she opened the door she said, “Chancellor her Grace is expecting you please come in.”

“Thank you.” He said, the old man enter the room again. this time he stopped near the couch across from them and bowed deeply. “Good morning Duchess Bedford.” He stood erect and his eyes darted to Jake. “I have come to speak with you on the King’s behalf.”

“It’s a pleasure to see you again. Please be won’t you sit.” Catherin said cordially.

“Thank you.” The old man sat on the couch across from them. As he settled himself Catherine motioned and May stepped forward offering Caff or tea. The old man accepted the Caff and a sweet roll.

Catherine said, “Chancellor, I’m sure you remember my uncle Tomas. Though I don’t think you’ve been introduced to my husband, Fleet Admiral and High Protector of Bedford Jake Harrow.”

“A pleasure to make your acquaintance Admiral Harrow. I have heard many good things about you. I wish to extend my most humble apology for my manner and actions before.” The old man said.

“Think nothing of it.” Catherine offered.

Jake responded, “Apology accepted sir. Before we begin, I wonder what you thought of Bridget’s farewell to her father, Dr. Maynard Williams. She wanted to say goodbye in a manner he would have appreciated. Would you mind sharing your thoughts.”

The old man thought for a few seconds then took a sip of his caff. “I am ashamed to say, I had heard you would pay a tribute to a close friend. I failed to learn it was the brilliant Dr. Williams. If I had known I might have delayed my arrival and saved myself a start. I have never seen or heard it likes, but I must admit, it was a fitting tribute to Dr Williams.”

“Yes, we had nearly the same thought. About being a little to close as well.” Catherine said with a smile. Jake motioned and Rebecka brought him the wooden box. “Oh Jake must we turn to business so soon? The chancellor hasn’t even tried a bite of cook’s wonderful rolls.”

“I am sorry Dear, you know I’m new to this. Chancellor please excuse my exuberance to share what I believe will propel our Air Corps for generations to come. Catherine’s right Cook’s rolls she never be waisted.” Jake said.

“I can’t fault you husband. This is an important discovery, and the chancellor is a busy man.” Catherine said half complaining.

“Perhaps a compromise. Admiral Harrow can explain what is in the box while I try this sweet roll.” The old man offered his eyes never leaving the box.

“Ok, Jake go ahead.” Catherine said

“Thank you dear. I’ll try to be brief. When I was putting together those I wanted to help me recover the Karenna, I knew I would need a scientist to assist with the reactors. The best and only scientist I knew was mad Maynard. I mean Dr Williams. I had met him as a teen and worked with him on several projects. His wife basically adopted me after my mother move to the capital. So I went told him my plans. He informed me his health wouldn’t allow him to participate in our journey, but he and his wife told Bridget, their youngest daughter and Maynard Protégée, that she would be going in his place. When we rediscovered the location of the ship Bridget inspected the reactor and brought it online. In the reactor room she found this box. Inside were small pieces of crystal. They were the same as the crystal that powered the reactor.

She studied these pieces and determined what chemical made up the crystals. She soon realized several things. One the crystals were naturally made. The compounds were under great pressure for centuries to create the crystals. She also determined, that they weren’t very efficient. There was a lot of unneeded extra chemicals in the crystals. So, she began making crystals she thought would be more efficient and testing them. In that box are five crystals that could power this ships reactor for twenty years. Let me clarify that, each crystal she grew can power this ship for twenty years. She refined her process and then walked a layman through growing a batch of crystals. She documented every step of the process. Then gifted Catherine and I the process as a wedding present.”

Catherine came in to the conversation, “My husband and I are of two minds. On one hand, this process would provide jobs and income to our duchy. On the other, the crown needs this process so they can upgrade the air corps fleets and end our troubles with Letharians. What we were hoping was, we could give the king a copy of the process and these five crystals. Then the crown could grow the crystals they need for our fleets. In return the crown would give Bedford exclusive rights to grow and sell the crystals for civilian vessels. The crown could grow their crystal as large as they wish. We would be restricted to growing crystals that lasted say a year or two, we can work that out later. This way everyone wins. The crown has the ability upgrade and maintain the fleet, and Bedford still profits from the civilian side. the really nice thing is there would be no long drawn out negotiations with the crown claiming we are war profiteers and us crying woe is me should we receive a far pay for work. Do you thing the king might find our offer agreeable?”

The old man swallowed hard. Then said, “I believe he would. As you said, everyone wins this way.”

“Oh good. We hoped you could represent it to him.” Catherine said. Then asked, “Now what else did you wish to discuss?”

The chancellor paused and took a long drink from his caff. He was trying to make a decision. Jake could see him running through the options. Finally, the man said, “The king is concerned about the Karenna. It would be a true tragedy if anything happened to it. He was hoping you might consider selling it to the crown so all the kingdom felt the owned a piece of history.”

“That’s a lovely thought, but no. we have plans for the Karenna. We are going to have her refit in Bedford. Then use her as a passenger liner and an academy to teach the skills need to sail a vessel. We plan to accept both young men and young women. I’m afraid the Karenna is not for sale. Not at any price.” Catherine said. The chancellor could see he was fighting a lost cause, but prepared his next argument anyway. Catherine didn’t give him a chance. “Chancellor I’m afraid any agreement where we give the king all rights to create crystals for the military would have to include him recognizing our ownership of the Karenna.”

“You would put the safety of this realm at risk just to keep this ship?” the chancellor demanded.

“No I wouldn’t. However, I know of no law that requires me to give away a large portion of potential profits either. If the king wishes to try to take the Karenna. We are prepared to fight him the house of lords, in the courts, and in the court of public opinion. This vessel was salvaged with all permits required. It is now a registered vessel with all taxes paid for a salvaged vessel of its tonnage. We have followed all the laws governing vessel salvage and registration. We have even brought the one tenth tax on its cargo. The ship is now tied to Bedford lineage. I see know way for the king to legally seize this ship without ignore the laws he is sworn to uphold. Nor do I believe the citizenry will tolerate some underhanded new law.” The chancellor flinched. “Yes, we know about the law he is trying to pass. A law that would allow the crown to purchase any item it deemed a national treasure. It’s funny, my uncle went and spoke to Lord Gilroy last night. When he asked if he understood that he was creating a law that would allow the crown to force the sale of his family’s private book collection. Lord Gilroy became enraged. He assured us the law would be voted down today even if he had to trade votes with the devil himself.”

“I see. Then I fear there is nothing more to discuss.” The chancellor said.

“I’m happy to hear that. We have a ship refit to get to.” Catherine said.

“You can’t leave you have to see the king.” The chancellor said.

“I never said I was leaving only that the ship was leaving. Jake and I will use the Pride to finish our journey to the capital. While my uncle and the crew take the Karenna to Bedford to begin its refit. I’m sure when I explain to all those citizens I had no choice but to send the Karenna to Bedford to protect it from being seized by the crown, they’ll understand.”

The man’s face went pale. “That won’t be necessary.”

“Good then as soon as you return with a signed and seal document from the king acknowledging our ownership of the Karenna we will make for the port. Without a document, she goes to Bedford. So the king has a choice.” She held out her hand and Tomas handed her a folio. He can choose to secure the process to increase the security of the kingdom and acknowledge our ownership of the Karenna, or he can deal with the thousands of citizens who will be disappointed when the Karenna leaves without making port.” She handed him the folio, and said, “We wrote out the contract. Feel free to take your time reading and negotiating better terms. We’re in no hurry.”

Jake opened the box and pulled out a small cloth bag. He handed it to the chancellor. “You’ll want to keep that dry until you give it to the king. Inside are three samples. They are all clearly marked. Anyone who can use a microscope can see which it natural and which man made. The man made one will late a week in water. We aren’t selling you a song and a promise. Consider this your opportunity to check the horse’s teeth.”

The old man pocket the cloth sack and stood he said, “I don’t suppose the king offering to name you husband the duke of Bedford would hold any sway?”

Catherine stood and Jake followed her up. She smiled and said, “Of course it would hold sway. Just not of the ownership of the Karenna. I doubt the Kings would be able to find two more vociferous supporters of the need of the citizenry to aid the crown in these difficult times.” Catherine offered her hand. and the old man took it and bowed over it brushing his lips across the back.

“Good day your grace” He said.

Jake offered “Let me walk you to your airship.”

The two men exited the room and walked out of the bridge house and across the deck. before they reached the chancellor’s airship, Jake stopped the older man took two steps then stopped as well, and face Jake. “I suppose this is where you tell me the King does not wish to have you as an enemy.” The chancellor asked

“No, this is where I make you a promise. We knew there would be those who were hostile to us and the crown. Bridget used her knowledge and skill to create scuttling charges from the same munitions she used to drop that mountain. I swear by the stars and my love for Catherine, this ship will never fall into hostile hands.”

“I see.”

Jake reached in his belt pouch and pulled out a coin. He passed it across to the older man, saying, “The king’s collection of Imperial currency is well known. I have seen examples from his collection in two separate museums. This ship has a quantity on imperial coins on it. Should the crown or the king wish it, we would be willing to sell most of that quantity. My wife informed me a full set recently sold for over a thousand crowns. We have no wish to devalue anyone’s collection. Nor are we asking for such unreasonable payment to prevent that occurring. IF the King or the crown wish to purchase this quantity, we are willing to sell most of it at two to one. As I am sure you can see. Most of the coins look as though they came straight from the imperial mint.” Jake waited as the man examined the coin in the predawn light. The motioned and said, “I am sure we both have a long and difficult day ahead of us chancellor.” The man nodded his agreement. The resumed his trip across the deck to his ship. Jake stood to the side and watched until the small ship had cleared the Karenna before returning to his sitting room.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.