Tales From Mist World
Chapter 16: Children and Captains

Copyright© 2017 by Anotherp08

The next morning Catherine and Rebecka joined him on deck while he was still stretching. When Jake started his forms, they asked if he would teach them. He agreed and started instructing the two women. They caught on quickly. By the third repetition, the women were matching his pace and doing the moves correctly. When Catherine asked him how the forms were used in hand to hand fighting, he smelled a rat. When he tried to explain, she asked for a demonstration. He offered to send for one of the crew and demonstrate. She waved off his offer.

“there is no need to send for anyone. Just use me to demonstrate.” She said sweetly. Then she added, “You will go slow and be gentle, won’t you?” this she asked in a very innocent I’m a helpless female voice.

Jake knew he was being set up. He said, “If that is what you wish. Then of course I will.” he stepped in front of her and held up his hand facing her. “Take the beginning stance. When say, I want you to strike my hands using the punch from the first form. Good now strike.” Her strike was weak at best. She shook her hand like she had hurt it. Jake started to drop his hands.

“No, I want to do this. Can I try again?” she asked full of determination.

“If you insist.” He said.

“I do.” Before he said anything her first was flying at his hand. The strike stung his palm. She followed it up with an even more stinging strike to other hand. Then flowed forward with a third strike. Jake quickly stepped back. His hands came up to defend against her attack. She smiled and came at him even harder than before. This wasn’t a punch. It was a lightning fast gab. Which was followed up by a second and third. Jake dodged and deflected her attacks giving ground and turning in a small circle. she took a step back after over a minute of the two sparring. It wasn’t truly sparring. Jake hadn’t thrown a single punch. It wasn’t because she was a woman. He had fought women pirate with the Air Corps. It was she was Catherine. “You won’t win if you don’t attack.”

Before he could inform her, he had no intention of striking her. She moved back in to attack. It was a vicious kick to his midsection. The kick rocked him back in his stance. His forearms ached from the blow. She followed it up with a devastatingly fast combination. Jake dodged and misdirected them, but he was finding it harder to do the longer this went on. She bounced back and then shot another kick at him. this time he stepped inside and trapped her leg against his side. with him holding her knee she couldn’t do much. she tried though. Every time she tried, Jake would either push her backwards causing her hop and fight to keep her balance, or he would pull her forward with the same results. He took a couple blows but they lacked any real power.

Finally, she twisted hard to the side in the direction of her trapped leg. As she did her other foot came up hard as she arched backwards. If Jake didn’t release her leg he would get walloped hard. he released the leg and caught her other taking the hit just below his ribs. It had been a near thing catching her leg a second time. He was sure he had bruise from the kick. Now she was stretched out on the deck with her leg trapped. She was in an even worse position. She brought her first leg back and made to kick him. Jake used her leg for leverage, and turned her on her stomach. Forcing her kick off target. She growled at his move. Then tried to kick back at his undefended legs.

As she prepared to strike Rebecka snapped, “Enough. I believe we have had a good workout. I also believe you have the measure of the man. Few men would have not struck you back after your repeated attacks. Even fewer would have had the skill to be able to. So, this ends here and now, or I will ensure you regret disobeying me at your next instruction session.”

Catherine’s body went limp. Jake lowered her leg to the deck. she flipped over and stood before he could offer assistance. She smiled at him and said, “I’m impressed. Are you afraid to hit a woman or it just me?”

He smiled. “I’ve fought women in the past. Never cared much for it. I can’t see you in the way I would have to, to strike at you. I’m sorry. I just can’t. Or won’t. take your pick.”

She darted forward and hugged him. then gave him a kiss on the cheek. She whispered in his ear, “I thoroughly enjoyed that. Next time I’ll try some holds. I like making you sweat. I would have liked pressing my sweaty body against yours. I find I am even more frustrated than I was last night.” She stepped back. She didn’t say another word. She walked to Rebecka and took the offered towel. She wiped the sweat off as the two went below deck.

Jake stood there and shook his head. Had she really expected him to fight her? Had she just asked him to wrestler with her in the future? Woman, he cursed in the privacy of his own mind. He retreated to his cabin, Grace in tow, to take care of his own hygiene. He mused the day had sure started off differently than he was used to.

He h ad breakfast in his dining room with Catherine. He enjoyed it immensely. It was the first time they dined alone. Well, the eels were there but still it had been a great way to start his day. When he went to bridge everything was running smoothly. The launches from the other ships were making their way to the Val. Each was loaded with children. they would spend the day here and go back tonight with the captains. Jake smiled as he saw more than a few of the children’s mothers had come as well. He went on the deck to great of kids and their respective parents. Marie hadn’t come. Neither had her oldest daughter. The launch from the Shoe did have three children and Cali.

Cali was out of the launch before it touched the deck. Jake saw her unfasten her safety line and jump over the side a full two feet before it landed. She was running full out by the time her little feet touched the deck. He scooped her up as got within arm’s reach. She giggled when he held her off the ground. The other children soon were off loaded with two of the mothers. Once the launch left he sat her on her feet.

She stood next to him holding his leg, as the others headed their way. Jake didn’t recognize the two women that came from the Shoe. As one of them glared at Cali, Jake got the woman’s attention, and shook his head. She frowned at him, but didn’t say anything to Cali. When all the children and moms had gathered, Jake said, “Welcome to the Valkyrie or the Val as we call her. I was impressed with the care each of you took with your safety harnesses when you exited the launch. Do you know why our safety harnesses and safety lines are so important?”

One of the older boys said, “Because they keep us from falling off the airship if something happens.”

“Your right, they do. We wear them for a very important reason. Humans can’t fly.” The children giggled. The two mothers shook their heads. “I’m serious everyone who thought they could fly without an airship, went splat.” Jake slapped his hands together. That caused more laughter and giggling. “Who can tell me what mistake was made when you landed? I mean safety wise.” He asked the kids. A girl of about ten raised her hand. “Go ahead sweetie. I’m afraid I don’t know your name. So, please tell me it then what you think the mistake was.”

“I’m Katrina Kennedy. Cali unhooked and jump out before we landed.” Katrina said.

Cali stomped her foot. Jake could see her glaring at the girl. He figured they were cousins. Then the Kennedy clan referred to most of the children as cousins. “Katrina is right.” Jake said. He placed his hand on Cali’s shoulder as he said it. “If Cali had been squished, I think we would have all been sad.” Most of them nodded or agreed. One of the boys Cali’s age shook his head vigorously. “The problem is Cali broke the rules. She was so excited to see the eels, and maybe me, she broke one of the safety rules. Now she’s here on the ship, I have to do something to teach her. Not even a captain can break the rules.”

The boy who had shook his head, said, “You should spank her. she tattled on me and I got spanked.”

Cali glared at him, and then looked up at Jake. Her eyes were wide with apprehension at his decision. Jake shook his head. “No, I think I have a better idea. All of you come with me.” He reached down and took Cali’s hand. he led the group through the bridge. As they trooped through he said, “This is the bridge. Everyone wave.” The children did and Jake led them downstairs to his office. He finally noticed Catherine and her aunt in the back of the group. He smiled at them. Then he said, “I think since she broke a rule involving her harness, he punishment should also involve her harness.” He walked to one of the shelves and pulled down a two-pound paper weight. It had a large metal loop on its top. He walked back to where Cali was standing. He knelt down in front of her.

Cali’s safety straps were still hanging down. She hadn’t bother to shorten them or wait for someone else to do it. Jake pulled took the left one and attached the clip to the strap through the ring on the weight. Then he did the same thing to the right. When he finished, he said, “Cali you have a choice. You can wear that weight until after lunch or I can send you back to the Shoe.” He was looking her in the eyes as he said it. He saw her fear as he mentioned going back to the Shoe. “What’s it going to be young lady?” he asked her Cali didn’t hesitate. “I will wear the weight Captain Uncle Jake. I’m sorry. I was just so excited. I promise to do better. Please don’t send me back to the Shoe?” Cali said, as she held the weight in both hands.

“Ok. No dragging behind you though. You can sit it down when you’re sitting. I’ll see you after lunch. Before we start class. As long as I get a good report, you won’t have to keep wearing it.” Cali nodded her head. Jake gave her a hug.

He turned around and saw most of the women nodding their approval of his actions. Catherine and her aunt both wore a tight little smile. Jake said, “Ok. Ladies for this afternoon if you could please divide the children into groups by age, it would really help. I can show you what I have planned for each age group if that will help. I might even be able to persuade a few others to assist in their education this afternoon.”

“No problem Captain. We had planned on asking about that when we got here.” one of the two mothers said.

Jake welcomed them to the ship a second time. Then led them through the ship to the passenger’s mess. The other Children were there and he greeted them and the chaperones. “I am afraid I must ask you to excuse me. I need to get the convoy moving if we are to reach our destination tomorrow. Cali, would you be willing to keep an eye on Gracey for me. I understand if your mad at me still and don’t want to.” Jake said.

Cali’s eyes went wide. “No, I’m not mad. Please can I watch her?” Jake nodded then convinced Grace to move to Cali. It wasn’t hard to do. Grace wrapped herself around Cali’s waist. Jake waved as he hurried to the bridge to get the convoy moving. The children’s arrival had delayed their daily schedule, and Cali’s stunt had added to that delay.

When he entered the bridge, Nathan said, “Messages from the convoy. Mostly reporting readiness and asking about the delay.”

“Anyone not ready?” Jake asked Nathan shook his head. “Message to Convoy: Begin daytime formation. Form on The Shoe. Delay caused by minor safety violation by one of the minors. Let’s see if we can make up the time. Regards Jake.”

“Aye, aye sir.” Nathan turned to one of the crew manning the bridges flash mirror. He handed the man the message board with the written messages. “Send to all ships.” The man began sending.

Jake sat in the command chair as the messages flashed out. When the crewman started to read the first response, he said, “Unless it’s urgent I hear the message, continue sending. We can answer any questions once everyone is moving again.” The man did as Jake ordered.

He finished sending and said, “All ships report message received and compliance. Miss Martha requested name of offender. The shoe asked if it was Cali. Any response sir?”

“Send to both. Situation handled. Junior crewman chastised and serving punishment. Will discuss it at dinner. Jake.” He informed the crewman.

A minute later he said, “From the Martha: Good for you. From shoe: understood. Best of luck with junior crewmembers. Marie.”

Jake nodded and then stood and moved to the navigation table. Tammy had laid out their course for the day. It was similar to yesterday’s course. She had incorporated the things he had mentioned. As well as a few other things. Jake wondered if she had done so based on her interviews of the crew and passengers. He stayed on the bridge until everyone had settled into their daytime positions in the convoy. It would be a while before they were up to speed.

Before he left the bridge, he used the mirror to send a flash message to the Bulldog. He requested Perry’s help this afternoon. The response was a definite yes. Perry asked if he needed anything else. He informed Jake he and the crew were in a charitable mood after the gift they received. Jake thought why not? Then asked if they would be interested in flash message work with his junior crew after his other request. The response came immediately. They would be happy to do so and did they need any extra mirrors? Jake declined saying they would use hand signalers but the junior crewmembers would probably like better if the Bulldog move in closer for the lesson. Perry agreed and said they would take up an appropriate position after lunch if the skies were clear.

He tracked down Catherine. It wasn’t hard. She and her aunt were giving an etiquette class to the children. He smiled at her when he entered the passenger’s mess and found them. Jake ducked out the door and went to fetch his overcoat and sword. He dawned both and his hat. Then checked himself in the mirror in his office. He was rather pleased with his reflection. He returned to the dining room and walked straight to Catherine. He stopped the two paces away and bowed with his right hand on pommel of his sword and his left hand removing his cap. Then he said, “Duchess Bedford, it is always a pleasure to see you. Imagine my surprise at learning I was traveling with such a beautiful and distinguished high born Lady.” he winked at her from his bowed position.

She smiled. Then said, “Arise Captain Harrow. It is a pleasure to see you again as well.” Then she turned and said, “The Captain was kind enough to demonstrate the proper way to greet one of the royal line while under arms. Notice how he placed his hand not on the hilt but on the pommel. This is to show he means no harm. He is in fact locking the blade in place so it doesn’t accidently fall out of the scabbard. You may have also noticed he removed his hat and remained bowed until instructed to do otherwise. This is a show of deep respect, normally reserved for the high nobility. Thank you captain. Can I impinge on your time for a few more demonstrations?”

“I would be honored.” Jake said.

Catherine went through the proper bow with just a cap. Then with just his long coat. Jake added an extra flourish he had learned at the academy for that one. Then she had him demonstrate how to escort a lady and several other things. When the demonstration part was done, she had the children grouped by age practice the different things demonstrated. She roped Jake into helping supervise the children’s efforts. At ten Catherine asked if there were any questions. There were, only none involved the lesson she had taught them.

When Jake asked if Catherine would accompany him in returning his sword and overcoat, May stepped up and offered to return them to his office. He had seen her at the back of the room helping with the younger kids. Catherine thanked her saying it would allow them more time to talk in Jake’s sitting room. Rebecka joined them on the walk and then seated herself on the couch. Jake and Catherine took their usual spots on the love seat.

I wanted to ask if either of you if your uncle might be interested in helping with a signaling exercise this afternoon. I didn’t want to bother him, if you thought he wouldn’t be interested. I wouldn’t want him to feel obligated in any way. the same goes for any of the women you think might be interested in helping. I have arranged a surprise for the children. and a reward for one of them.” He said.

Catherine cocked an eyebrow in a question. Jake shook his head, telling her she would just have to wait. “I would be happy to help. I think uncle would be too. As for the ladies, they are occupied with their current task. They actually asked that I, how did they say it. ‘Leave them be let them get on with getting the job done.’ I almost felt insulted. Janis said, I was too much of a distraction, and they wanted to get as much done as they could. They are working very hard.” She added.

“I would offer my assistance, but I should already head back. We do have a lot to get done. I stopped working to help my lady with her class. I was surprised I had been replaced when I got there. You did do a much better job though. I always feel ridiculous trying to bow instead of curtsy. I’ll leave the two of you and head back.” Rebecka said. She matched her words to deeds and was out the door before Jake could respond.

“If she needed to elsewhere why did she accompany us here?” he asked.

Catherine smiled and answered, “Because she is a dedicated servant. She was charged with protecting my virtue even from myself. You’ve done a wonderful job of showing her your trustworthy. I think she feels she need to keep an eye on us occasionally, though.”

Jake nodded his understanding. “Would you like to come with me to ask your uncle?”

“sure” she said with a smile.

The two made their way to her suite. They entered arm in arm. Tomas and B were seated at the small table with correspondence neatly laid out in front of them. The older couple greeted them both with a smile. Tomas asked, “what are you two up to this morning?”

“Oh, we had planned to try to work on making you a great uncle, but Jake chickened out. So, we came to see if you were free this afternoon.” Catherine said casually.

“That’s nice dear. It’s good to hear the Captain is coward. I’m liking him more and more.” Her uncle said. He hadn’t even bothered to look up at his niece. Aunt B short her niece a scornful look. “All I am doing is reading and responding to these letters that have been piling up. I’ll still be doing it after lunch. Did you need something?” he asked.

Jake cleared his throat. Then he said, “I agreed to teach the convoy’s children this afternoon. I have a few things I plan on teaching. One of them is Flash code. I have a surprise for the kids for that lesson. I could use a few extra adults to help out. If you’re interested. I wouldn’t want to take you away from anything important.”

B snorted. “He’s been itching for an excuse to ignore these. Most are request, and he hates being polite when he has to say no. that’s why he puts it off for long trips.” She said.

“I would like to help you. She’s right though, I would probably volunteer to man a lookout to get away from doing this for a few hours.” Tomas chuckled.

“Great. We’re going to break up the children based on their age. Then move them around. One of the things we are going to teach them is the flash codes up on the main deck. Another is about shadow boxes for checking for ships hiding in the sun. That will be near the bow, but on the main deck as well. The third thing will be a tour of the bridge and explaining what each station is responsible for. I plan on an hour at each. The younger children will need help with the flash codes. I planned to help them write out their messages, but have them send it. It up to you if you wish to help all afternoon, or just for an hour.” Jake explained.

“I think that sound great. You can count on me for the entire afternoon.” Tomas said enthusiastically.

“Remember I’ll be with you too. I may not be as good as a seasoned airman, but I can muddle through alright. Will they be sending to each other, or do you have other plans?” B asked.

“Both her replied. I’m keeping that a secret until the class though.” Jake said.

“Hmm, I hope it isn’t anything to dangerous. I’m not sure my old heart could take a surprise like Catherine had when you helped with the raid. No pirates please captain.” B requested.

“Every time you play the ‘I’m a frail old woman’ I start looking for the hook. You are not that old Aunt B. You are near my mother’s age. If not younger. I would guess.” Jake said to her.

“Why captain that is sweet of you to say. I won’t even try to argue the fact, having never met your mother.” B told him.

Jake excused himself explaining he had a few more people he needed to speak to. Catherine decided she would accompany him. the older couple returned to their letters as they departed. Jake returned to the bridge to check the duty roster. He located the members of the crew he had brought over from the lady. the lookout was currently on duty. Two others and Paul had duty last night and would again tonight. Patrick was on duty on the bridge as helmsman.

Jake asked Nathan and Tammy to join him at the Navigators table. They gather around the table. Tammy looking worried she had made a mistake. Jake said, “This afternoon I, or rather we, will be teaching the children from the convoy. Here is my plan.” Jake laid out the plan for them. Explaining what he would like their assistance with, and which of the Lady’s old crew he wanted where. When he finished, he asked, “Will that create any difficulties? I’d rather not stir up trouble if we can switch someone out.”

“I don’t think it will. Paul can easily be replaced. After all, even mother supplied a spare for him.” she teased loud enough for him to hear. Nathan grinned and shook his head at the quip.

“With both of us here plus the signalman. I’m not sure we need to have someone else fill in for him.” Nathan said.

Tammy nodded her agreement. Jake said, “I would rather have the all the normal positions filled while our junior crew members are on the bridge. I want them to see how the bridge is normally staffed.” Both nodded their understanding.

Paul offered, “I could trade half a shift with Kevin. He’s on night lookout. I know he’d be happy to have some time to rest tonight. Since we plan to reach Teeth tomorrow.”

Jake made a decision. “All watches are to be set for three hours after we move to night time formation. I’m sure everyone will be too excited to sleep tomorrow. This way everyone at least gets some rest tonight. Roust everyone. I want all hands assisting with our junior crew after lunch. You can explain why I’m doing this. I think everyone will be happy with the change.”

Nathan and Tammy nodded their agreement. Jake said, “Message the convoy. Tell them I recommend they do likewise. If they ask tell them my reasoning.” He got a nod from Nathan. “Tammy, we should review your notes. Send one of the crew to pass the word. All hands report for lunch. Anyone asleep make sure they are woken and informed at lunch time. I’m leaving that to the two of you. I’m having a private lunch with Catherine’s Aunt B. any questions?”

Nathan thought then asked, “Other than the ones you mentioned, are there any others you wished assigned to specific places?”

“After you inform them of the change, tell them about the afternoon classes. Ask for volunteers. Anyone who isn’t interested in helping with our junior members can take over for one of the lookouts. I definitely want Ricco to help with the shadow box. He has the most experience with them. Paul can help there as well. Patrick I want with me at the flash code lessons. I’ll fetch my notes for each class. I wrote out most of what I planned to teach for each station before Catherine, here, gave me a solution to a single group with such a huge age range. After her recommendation, I added in what I planned for each age group at each station. Then I wrote it out for whoever was teaching. I’ll have Tammy bring it up to you after our meeting.” He told Nathan. Tammy nodded she would do so.

Jake, Catherine and Tammy went to his office and reviewed her notes. He was surprised that some of his crew were ignorant of the winds patterns on their course. Both of her brothers had been, but two of the others he bought over had. The rest of the crew had all been ignorant of the winds, most having never had reason to travel this route. She added Nathan had flown further East on several occasions, but hadn’t paid much attention to wind patterns. When she explained why she was asking he looked upset. Saying there was so much he didn’t know.

While the two went over her notes Catherine made copies of Jake’s lesson plans. Tammy had two copies of each when she left. When Jake and Catherine were alone, she said, “This is a good start for our academy when I add my note to them.” She went to one of the shelfs and took one of the spare logbooks. They were oversized and thick. “Unless there is a reason we need so many extra logbooks, I’ll use this one to keep track of the classes we want for our flying academy. I’ll just add loose pages until we work them out. Then I can transfer them into the book. I’ll leave plenty of space between classes.” She explained.

Jake smiled, marveling at her dedication to his dream. “Lave, I only have a general idea of what we should teach. I haven’t a clue about what year what should be taught. I know which classes need to be taught first, but it will take a long time before we can even begin to finalize them. Let alone, write out lesson plans.” He told her.

“I know that. We’ll need to make some decisions before we can even plan out what we want to teach. Then we’ll have to find some teachers with experience teaching the age group we want at our academy. If we have this big book laying around as a reminder, we’ll work to fill it faster. What do have planned for our age range?” she asked setting the book on his desk. Then she pulled her chair around next to his and sat. she began sorting and placing his notes into the book.

“The Crowns academy take students at sixteen. I thought Twelve with them graduating at sixteen. Those who don’t go to the academy can choose to continue on for four more years of advanced training. That would give the young ladies a place to learn the same things taught at the crown’s academy. I think we may have to limit the number we allow to stay on or we’ll soon be over full. We’ll have to see. That was my thoughts though. I’d hoped to give them a lot more experience then I received at the crown’s academy.” He told her.

She nodded and wrote out his thoughts on a clean page. Catherin asked very specific questions and Jake tried to answer the one he could. They stayed in his office working on the project until lunchtime. She took the book saying she would add her notes before she joined him to help with his class. He escorted her to her suit and then to the dining room. Catherine kissed his cheek before he left.

Jake joined Aunt B in the captain’s dining room. He apologized for keeping her waiting. The two dined on cheese and crawfish raviolis with a creamy white sauce. It was delicious. When B saw his reaction to the dish, she suggested the eat first then speak in his sitting room. The two finished and both asked May to pass on their compliments at the wonderful meal. He escorted her to his sitting room and May served them tea and caff. The May set out some cookies on the low table and went to clean up the dining room.

“I must say you have good taste in teas.” B said.

Jake chuckled. “I have no taste for teas. The tea you are drinking was either already stocked or Catherine added it to ship’s stores after she bought the Val.” He explained.

“That would be why I found my favorite tea on board. It isn’t overly expensive as teas go. I do enjoy it though. Catherine has grown up drinking it. I’ll have to remember to ask her about it.” She said.

Jake sat enjoying his caff, waiting for B to begin the interrogation. “Relax Jake. I know much more about you than you might think. Tomas asked for and received your military file from Admiral Teller. Bruce said it was like he had expected the request, and had a copy waiting.”

Jake said, “I’m sure he did. He knew you would be arriving, and would wish for the information.”

“Yes, that was Bruce’s impression too. We were surprised that your file included your tax records for the past five years. I’m not sure if Tomas was impressed or aghast at seeing how much you paid. There was a letter form the tax man that you always paid promptly and his belief was that you paid at least a full measure.” She looked at him for a few seconds. Then asked, “Why is that? Do you pay a full measure or more? If so why?”

“The short answer is, my taxes help pay for the crown’s defenses. I have friends still serving. How could I live with myself if one of them died because the air corps didn’t have the money to replace a piece of gear and they died because of it. How could I look their family in the face and claim I was their friend? So I pay my share, and make sure it is a full share.” He said.

“My husband thought that might be the reason. Well, only that it was because you had served in the corps. Catherine told me she had to pursue you. Was my niece not worth your time and energy to pursue?” Jake thought she might be teasing. He wasn’t sure. She was smiling at her question.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.