The Great War! - Cover

The Great War!

Copyright© 2017 by Dark Dragen

Part 2: The Birth of the Enclave.

(Pre-War Saga - Part 2!)

The Birth of the Enclave.

25th of November 1969 - Unknown Location:

It has been twenty-four years since World War 2 had ended, and the world for many has changed. The war ended for the axis powers in the year 1945 with bitter defeat: for on the European continent, the end started in May, when Germany surrendered to the Allied Powers. After their leader Adolf Hitler disappeared mysteriously. In the disorder that followed as Germany tried to find their leader and with the infighting and jockeying for positions in the top leadership and government, the Allied Powers decided to take on the German Army with an all out assault with the help of their ally’s. To save themselves, and what was left of their country, the German Army decided to save the lives of their soldiers and civilians and surrendered.

In August of that year, on the Asian continents and the Pacific area of the world. It was decided after a few months of testing, America would deploy their secret weapon, the atomic bomb to hopefully end the war. The United States dropped two separate bombs from long range bombers in a daring raid onto two Japanese cities, a bomb called Little Boy was dropped on a small island city called Hiroshima, and a few days later a bomb called Fat Man was dropped on the city of Nagasaki. Because of this, about a month later after several high level talks within their Government, Japan officially surrendered to the Allied Powers, and World War II finally came to an end. The allied powers had won.

Because of the outcome of the war was finalized with massive loss of life using the atomic bomb, the world looked with fear toward America, thinking that retribution would follow due to their actions during the war. As months followed and nothing happened to the U.S., The governments of the world decided to invest its technological efforts into funding advances into supercomputers and further harnessing the power of the atom. They invented compact nuclear fusion powered generators solving one of the world’s energy needs. Other projects followed including miniaturized electronics, but not with the funding that had been initially focused on atomic energy.

In 1949, the Civil War in China that was ongoing for years, suddenly ended with Mao Zedong and his communist revolutionaries victorious. On October 1st, the People’s Republic of China was established as a country. All remaining supporters of the Republic of China fled to the island of Formosa. The US didn’t learn much as information was limited as the relations were strained between China and Japan due to centuries of conflict and diplomatic incidents.

In the beginning of the year 1969, the United States President decided to divide the fifty states into thirteen smaller states now known as The Commonwealth. It was thought that with thirteen larger states instead of fifty smaller states, the country would help create legislation broad enough to benefit those states with common regional concerns, but narrow enough not to affect those states with dissimilar interests or political cultures which included religions, which would help the nation better meet the challenges posed by the Communist threat to American democracy.

The Commonwealth was put together and were know known as the following: Columbia Commonwealth, East Central Commonwealth, Eastern Commonwealth, Four States Commonwealth, Gulf Commonwealth, Great Midwest Commonwealth, New England Commonwealth, Northern Commonwealth, Northwest Commonwealth, Plains Commonwealth, Southeast Commonwealth, Southwest Commonwealth, and the Texas Commonwealth. Together they were the new thirteen states of America. Many people were happy with change, but several had doubts of it lasting. It turns out, that there fears were unfounded. (A/N see end to see which regions goes with each Commonwealth, as I tried to put it in here, but looked awful, so after talking about it with a friend, I decided to put it at the end as an end A/N.)

The new flag for America only had thirteen stars, instead of fifty allowing for each of the new states its own flag. Each state’s flag was modified to show its status in the commonwealth while still showing the proud imagery that allowed each person to recognize their states flag. The state lines were still quite relevant to the state’s, but at the same time were redrawn to show the new states maps. To make sure that each of the thirteen commonwealths where not under represented, it was decided to create a commonwealth council that would each handle the duties of the commonwealth’s without the necessary redrawing of state laws. Each council would handle their own states issues including making sure that the other state’s would not screw them over with trading and tourism. But at that moment in time, they could not decide who their representatives for each state would be. This caused several issues that would later be resolved.

Not only was The Commonwealth created without any major issues, but in July there was a great technological leap forward for the people of the world. As history was made when the Virgo II mission landed full team of American astronauts on the Moon. Making the following astronauts: Captain Richard Wade, Captain Mark Garris, and Captain Michael Hagen, the first humans to walk on a celestial body other than Earth, also becoming national heroes for beating the Russian team that we’re also planning this trip by months. It allowed great political gain to America and placed them firmly into the history books. Following that mission, another mission was formed months later, and after a successful launch the Virgo III landed on moon, allowing those from the Virgo II to return home without incident, and allowing the United States to continue their research allowing great technological progress.

However, following the war that was meant to end all wars, many families of the world were slowly trying to forget the war. Some were from families who had siblings, fathers and other family members lost during the war, which was understandable, but most families found it an honour and didn’t want to forget. As it meant dishonouring their families who died so that they wouldn’t. A few others interested in revising history, slowly lost interest in bringing back bad war memories. They did not want to be reminded of what they had lost and hoped that it would not be brought up in conversation. But they knew it would always be there in the history books, but hoped that as time passed people would forget about the war or at the very least don’t bring it up so much.

However, there were a few people who didn’t want to forget about the war, as they were terrified of the outcome, and feared that they might repeat the actions if they weren’t careful.

One such person who wanted to make his mark in history, was Joseph Parker. A white fifty year old American citizen, who used to work as a top secret scientist/researcher for the Allied Powers. He along with a small group of people, were meant to research ways to help end the war, be it new weapons, equipment, technology or tactics. But after the war they were no longer needed for wartime research and so were let go. While several in his group didn’t care one way or another about losing their work, as many found new jobs quickly. They were very happy to forget about what they had done during the war, he himself was of a vastly different mind on the matter.

Yes, he was one of the researcher’s that didn’t mind losing his job, but he also knew he could get a job anywhere thanks to his much needed specialist skills even beyond wartime. He wasn’t happy about how the war ended, and this worried him greatly. Sure the world was at peace, even though diplomatic relations between China and Japan were strained, that didn’t mean anything in the general world point of view. In the years following, China and Japan could build up a force to take revenge on the United States for what they did towards ending the war, or the United States or one of the other countries that now have several nukes, could destroy themselves or one of the other countries. The United States could still destroy themselves, seeing that they were playing around with nuclear power to better the life of their people. This technology was still in the infant stages of research and could be quite dangerous.

But that’s not all, as one of the top secret scientist/researchers for the United States, he had gotten his hands on information that normal people wouldn’t normally see due to his clearance. One such information was about the threats that no one knew about, which why he wasn’t afraid of losing his job after the war, as he knew he would be dealing with the Government in the near future. And the information he had, worked well as blackmail.

These threats were of extra-terrestrial life, such as aliens, and internal Earth politics and policies. Another of threats was those on Earth who were of magical nature, which was something that he was shocked about when he learnt that magic was real. He would have thought that magic and aliens were not real, but now that he has that information, and could very well see the threats from both sides and the dangers that could follow.

For the less threatening on the magical side, it was very likely they would not be dangerous, as they normally kept to themselves. But the threat was there and he did not want it to become serious. And so should they be pushed out of there little community’s too much, the threat would rise to the point of threatening on a global scale. It was in human nature that should you get pushed into a corner, at some point they would start pushing back out of that corner. The government knew this and so made sure to hire him to draw up several plans just in case.

No the threat that was more severe to the governments of the world was the idea of an invasion from extra-terrestrial life. From what he found out from several high-level government sources, that for as long as the government knew that there was alien life, there had been abductions of several people that they couldn’t stop, and didn’t know how or why it happened. Some who were abducted would return, which was how they got the information about the aliens, but more often people just disappeared without a trace. And those who did return, had very little memory about their experience apart from that they were kidnapped. And because of these attacks, the government decided that he and several others would be hired to come up with a plan to stop these attacks and if it came to it, figure out how to attack the aliens.

Now for what he was planning though, it was going to be difficult to prove to the general public, as all the proof was heavily guarded or as with the magical evidence, hard to find due to the magicals using their abilities to hide the truth of their existence. He only had to see it once to prove it existed but the public would need more than one instance of proof to believe. Then he would be taken away to somewhere more secure and better guarded for his work. Same with the extraterrestrial proof, the evidence was taken to an area he had no access to and could not be used after he had seen it. He wished he could have full access to all the evidence and information, but he could work with what he had access to, but now that he had seen that both were real he could make plans toward a better future.

So during the last twenty-four years, Joseph found himself working extensively hard on many projects, so that he could get to access to those areas he did not have clearance for, and gather the proof he himself needed and the evidence to support such proof and his theories and plans he would then show to others and make them understand the threats that could come from inside and out. Thus getting the world prepared to handle both threats.

It was very hard to get the proof he needed out of the areas they were in, but after getting the clearance he needed and becoming one of the head of departments for research toward threats foreign or domestic, he was slowly able to get the necessary equipment and clearances he needed. So here he was, waiting for the selection of people who he hoped well help him in his plans and promote a better future.

His thoughts were interrupted with a knock at the door of his office, as he walked toward the door, he saw it was one of the people he was waiting for, and in fact someone he used to work with, an old friend John Blake. Like Joseph, he worked with the Government during the war and helped make some of the research available. After John, several others started to arrive. And within an hour, everyone that he invited was there clustered together in his office.

“Now I know many of you are wondering why I contacted you and set up this meeting, well it’s about our future, or more precisely, the future of our descendants and the planet itself.” explained Joseph.

“What are you talking about?” asked one of the men in a general’s uniform who was sitting there drinking a cup of coffee to keep awake.

“What I am talking about, is that there are several threats to this world that will affect our descendants and perhaps destroy the world as we know it!” answered Joseph, and seeing the blank looks from the people there, he went on to try to explain the seriousness of the problem, “Look at how our government ended the last war, they used nuclear weapons to blow up two Japanese cities. While we have been lucky about the consequences of it all, what if Japan decided to retaliate. With what we did to them, the war could have ended up differently if they had that technological capability. Like the world ending as we know it, with Japan and their allies using nuclear bombs to get revenge. And all that we would know, is that they still could. They very well could be biding their time, gathering their forces and recourses before they decide to attack, we have seen this happen time after time in our own history.”

There were fearful whispers at the idea, the men in the office where very uneasy at the idea of this, the very idea that Japan and their allies would bide their time, just waiting and then taking their revenge on everyone who was in power at the time. Than Joseph who was gesturing wildly went on to say, even causing them to all whisper to each other more, “And that’s not the worst of it, what if our own country blew us up first. The public doesn’t know this yet, but our government has people researching the possibility of being able to use atomic power for the everyday life. Having a nuclear generator in every household. And that’s not the only risk we are facing right now.”

This got several conversations going, and while Joseph slowly sat down on his chair the very image of a man with the world on his shoulders. Many in the room knew that while it was meant to be the ideal power source, the harnessing of the atom was also known to be very risky as it was a very new technology. It might be too high of a risk to take. The main threat was that the nuclear fallout would be devastating should something go wrong. Suddenly through the whispered conversations that were in the office, Joseph’s friend John loudly asked, “What do you mean, why bring this to us. We are powerful men, but we do not have the ability to change much at this point and time?”

“I know you won’t believe me, but there is another threat as well. The supernatural world and extraterrestrial life are very real.” explained a stoney faced Joseph, and as expected the men in the room all laughed at this thinking it was a joke. Apart for one or two, who knew about this information as they worked closely with Joseph and had access to the same materials he had access to.

Laughing, one of the men responded “Please Joseph, do you really want us to believe that there’s really supernatural and extraterrestrial life out there?” Another man asked, “Have you taken a hard knock to your head or are you just drunk? You sound like Adolf Hitler, who believed in the supernatural so much that he wasted men, money and resources toward something that was not proven to be real.” Several of the men got up to leave thinking that the whole thing was just a big waste of time.

“I know it is hard to believe James, in fact I knew most of those here wouldn’t believe me.” acknowledged Joseph before someone else could, he slowly picked up a briefcase that he had brought with him. As several members got up to leave, Joseph waited patiently, these people weren’t as important as the others who were staying in their seats, they were still listening and that would help make his point even stronger.

Once those who really did not want to believe left, Joseph picked up a briefcase and put it faceup on the table. He went on to say to the remaining men, “I know that many of you think I’m acting like Adolf Hitler, that I am crazy like he was. Trust me, when I first learnt all this myself, I too thought that the person who was showing me all this was mad and/or was having me on. But he was able to convince me with the following documents,” here one of the generals called out that documents could be faked, “yes Frank, documents can be faked and when I read them, I too thought the same. How could anyone in that position not think that? I mean, really magic and aliens. How can they be real? It wasn’t until I saw physical evidence that I realized that both really existed. I know what many of you might think, most of the physical evidence of aliens can be faked too, which is why today I’m going to show you something that can’t be faked. Something that will prove beyond a reasonable doubt that i’m telling you the truth.”

As he opened his briefcase, he pulled out two things, a sharp dagger and a closed glass vial of some kind of purple glowing liquid. Passing the dagger to James, he asked, “James, if you don’t mind, could you make sure that this dagger is real and not something fake like a plastic replica or a trick blade.”

“What are you playing at Joseph?” James asked curiously and a little bit worried, as he tested the edge of the dagger, even cutting himself with it, to make sure it really the blade was real, before slowly handing it back to Joseph.

Taking the blade in hand, he didn’t say anything for a few moments, psyching himself up for what he was about to do. He placed his left hand onto the table, and slowly took a few deep breaths. Then before anyone realized what was happening, as he lifted the dagger in the air. Then he said as he swung the dagger down into his hand penetrating his own flesh, “This! Ahhhhh!” Joseph screamed as the dagger entered the back of his hand. “Fuuuuck, that really hurt, that hurt far worse than I thought it would,” Joseph said through the pain, and seeing a few of them getting up to render aid to him, he said gasping for air, “Please stay seated, stay where you are, I’m fine.”

“Don’t be a fool Joseph, you’re not fine, you just stabbed yourself. Your hand needs to be looked at by a medic.” someone in the group told him.

“Jake, I know that, you just saw me do it to myself. But trust me, it’ll be fine.” Joseph told the man, before he pulled the dagger out of his hand with a quick yank. As he winched in pain, he showed them the bleeding hole in his hand. Then with his uninjured hand, he uncorked the glass vial and drank the purple glowing liquid, gulping it down quickly. Within a few moments, to the shock of those who were still anxiously there, the hole begun to slowly heal.

The man who had been called Jake, was a practicing doctor, and upon seeing this ran to Joseph and begun a precise medical examination of Joseph’s hand. “How is this possible, this has to be some sort of trick, this isn’t humanly possible. Your hand is fully healed, even the tendons look to be healed.”

“Ouch, be careful Jake,” Joseph winched in pain as Jake manhandled his hand roughly, and had to pull it away from him quickly, “it’s still not fully healed yet, it will take about half an hour to heal back to the point before I stabbed myself. What I drank was one of many healing potions that the supernatural world or as the people in this world would call it, the Wizarding World. Where many use that very potion to heal and that proves they can do magic. Now I know some of you still think this is some kind of trick, but I also have something else to prove to you, something that’ll make you one hundred percent believe that magic, as it is called. Is very real.”

“And what proof would that be?” asked another person in the group.

Instead of answering, Joseph went to the corner of the room and carefully dragged a large steamer trunk over to the group, where he opened it and too a step into it, before saying with a smirk, “Now please, follow me. It is as safe as can be” And with that he slowly disappeared down into the trunk.

Most people there thought this was some kind of trick, so they lifted the trunk off the floor to see if there was a trapdoor underneath the trunk. But as they did, not only did they find that there was no trapdoor, but they could hear Joseph calling from the trunk, “Are you coming or not?”

For a startled few moments, no one knew what to think, but than it was Jake that came up for a way to prove if it was some kind of magicians trick or not. The idea was for them to put the trunk onto the table. And for him to go down into the trunk following joseph. But when Jake got up and entered into the trunk, they were shocked to see him walking down slowly into it and disappearing just like joseph. They all got up and slowly one by one, the rest of the group entered down into the trunk.

Once they all had entered into the trunk, they saw Joseph smirking at them. He said with a smile, “I see that you all finally found your way down here, now you know that magic, and what I’m about to tell you about aliens, are to my best knowledge. True.”

As they looked around in amazement. They saw that they were in a room that was the size of a three bedroom house, with three doors leading out of the room. There were no walls, a few tables and blinders that broke up the room in several places. Otherwise nothing of interest besides being in a steamer trunk. The size of it was very shocking, and one of them had to say, in a shocked manner, “How is this all possible, this trunk breaks all laws of physics.”

“You have yet to see anything really amazing about this trunk,” explained Joseph, “as for physics, you’ll soon learn that when it comes to magic, it breaks all known laws of physics that we know of. So you’ll need to keep an open mind when it comes to magic. Science will not help you here”

“So what kind of threat does this Wizarding World possess to us?”

“It depends really,” began Joseph, “as long as there’s no Dark Lords -”

“What is a Dark Lord?” asked someone.

“Hmm, I would say a Dark Lord is someone like Adolf Hitler,” Joseph compared the two thoughtfully, “now without a Dark Lord, the threat is very low. I won’t deny that there are some threats, as like any huge communities, there are a bad elements in each of them. But without someone leading the bad elements, gathering them together and setting the rules. The threats are normally low. But with a leader the risk is even higher.”

“What is the normal basic threat, that we would see from the Wizarding World?” asked Jake.

“From the people of the Wizarding World? As long as we leave them alone, there’s very little threat at all,” explained Joseph “but should we push them, with thing as we are at the moment I couldn’t say. But seeing that very few know about them, if they plan carefully they could kill most of us before we even knew what was going on, and we wouldn’t even knew about it, as they could make it like it seem that there was some kind of accident happening.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.