The Great War! - Cover

The Great War!

Copyright© 2017 by Dark Dragen

Prologue - Part 1: Great War Begins.

Fallout World: World War 2 ended differently, the fifty states became thirteen Commonwealth States, and technology, politics, and culture followed a different course to the one that we know of today. Not only that, but an underground group known as the Enclave appeared, and working within the shadows, they altered things to fit their needs.

The Enclave would slowly become a shadow government, where they would use alien tech, (from Mass Effect) and magic to create a new world order. They would do whatever it takes to succeed, and have their goals come true, and anyone who stands in their way be damned.

By the year 2077, with the help of the Soviet Union, in which the United States had developed a relatively warm diplomatic relations, had a colony on the moon. The moon colony was created to mine Helium 3 for Fusion Cores and Cells, which the United States creates for different reasons. But the resources was also at an all time low, the United States were be at war with China. But near the end of October of 2077, it was said that China launched the first nuke that started what would be known as the Great War. Read and see what happens after the Great War and onwards.

Harry Potter: In this story, we’ll see a smarter and determined Harry Potter, where after his first year at Hogwarts after hearing that Voldemort would one day come after him, takes a more active role to get ready. Over the years he trains and gets stronger, but along the way he’ll be betrayed, hurt and lose those he cares about.

But once he defeats the Dark Lord, Harry would be invited to see his Uncle for one last time, where Vernon wanted talk to him one last time and then never seeing each other again. But doing so Harry will have his last, and biggest betrayal of all time, where his life well forever changed and will be thrown into a time different to the one he once knew: He would be experimented on over and over again for next few years before being put into a magical stasis, where hundreds of year later awaken in a new world: an Apocalyptic World.

What well Harry be like where there are no law to the land, will he be the survivor of this new time and world, or will he be part of the problem? Become a new tyrant who’ll try and rule the lands he now found himself in. Read and find out.

Pre-War Summary: Have you ever wondered what happened before the Great War? Why the Enclave was created? With this Saga I’ll trying to explain this, and along the way I’ll be building a new Fallout Universe with magic and better tech. No pairings.

Warnings: This story is mainly about the Apocalyptic World, where there’s no rules or laws governing the world, so anything and everything you can think of can be suspected to be seen in this story. So be warned, if you got a faint heart or high morals, this story isn’t for you. This is going to be a realistic version of Fallout.

Because the first off of this story is about the world around Fallout, the story of the games, and see if I can add more detail as I add magic into the world of Fallout. So suspect dark things to happen.

Disclaimer: I do not in any shape or form own Harry Potter or Fallout or Mass Effect, be it characters, spells, items, or anything else that’s connected to the Harry Potter books/movies; they all belong to J. K. Rowling & the Warner Bros Pictures. And any characters, places and items from Fallout are owned by Bethesda Softworks. Mass Effect tech and alien races belonged to BioWare. I don’t even earn any money from this ... Damn shame...

The only characters that I do own are the ones that you haven’t read about in the books, or seen in the games.

Prologue.

(Pre-War Saga - Part 1!)

Great War Begins!

16th of October 2077:

War, War Never Changes, ‘ Were the words going through Nathan ‘Nate’ Archer’s head as he sat at his desk, thinking about the speech that he was writing for the Veteran’s Hall, Fraternal Post 115, in Cambridge. It had been about three years since he left the Sino-American War, when his two years of service ended. He could have renlisted, and many wanted him to as he was the best Combat Engineer that the 2nd Battalion of the 108th Infantry Regiment had, but Nate wanted to start a family. It was at this time that he meet Nora Walker, a twenty year old law student at Suffolk County School of Law, who was in her last year at law school. They married in the year 2076 and in 2077 had their first son, Shaun.

For his speech for Veteran’s Hall, he was going to start about his great-great-grandfather who was serving in the army in the year 1945, and was wondering if he was going to make it back to his wife and son that he’d never seen because he entered the war before he was born.

He would go on to explain that his great-great-grandfather got his wish when the US ended World War II by dropping atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. From there the World awaited Armageddon, as they feared that the other countries would retaliate in some way because of the nuclear attack, but nothing happened; instead, something miraculous occurred. The world began to use atomic energy not as a weapon, but a nearly limitless source of power. People enjoyed luxuries once thought the realm of science fiction: domestic robots, fusion-powered cars, portable computers to name a few.

Then, in the 21st century, people awoke from the American dream. Years of consumption lead to shortages of every major resource; the entire world unraveled. Peace became a distant memory. Nate would then explain that it is now 2077, and they stand on the brink of total world war, and he was afraid. Not only for himself, but for his wife and infant son, because if his time in the army taught him one thing: it’s that war, war never changes.

Now here he was, wondering where to go from there, how would he explain his thoughts? His speech was meant to be made in about two weeks time, and yet Nate was having problems writing the rest of it, not knowing where to go. With a sigh, Nathan decided to take a break.

As he went to the bathroom to get a wash, he looked in the sink mirror at himself, and saw the scars from his time in the war. Although his face had mostly healed, he knew where they were, and knew that the one across his right eye and on his upper lip would never fully be healed. He’s a decorated war veteran, served his country since he was eighteen, now twenty-nine watching as age and the stress of the war took its toll.

He was six foot two, and his once tan skin, was now paler with a few scars across his body. As he took a closer look at his face, he noticed the wrinkles and crow’s feet. His hair, which was once once jet black, was starting to grey along the sides, which upset him a bit seeing he was too young to go grey so soon. His eyes are dark brown, and had a sleepy look about them since the war, because of his nightmares; nightmares of the deaths of his friends, of those he killed and the innocent he couldn’t help. In the last year, he was seeing a counsellor because of them, which was slowly helping. He was glad he kept his body in top from, he wouldn’t say he had a body of a weightlifter, but it wasn’t one to scoff at, it was better than most people’s bodies.

As he looked at his body, he thought about the last few years, and what he had been up to. Since he left the war, he had been working for the Commonwealth Council, as part of one of their Offices, the Commonwealth Security Services, better known as C-Sec. A police service answering only to the Commonwealth Council, who answered to the President of the USA.

There were six divisions at C-Sec, the first was Enforcement, uniformed officers who patrol the Commonwealth and respond to emergencies. Investigation, detectives who puzzle out the truth behind crimes and bring perpetrators to justice. Customs, screening the thousands of passengers and cargo containers that pass through the Commonwealth’s ports every day. Network, dealing with what the Commonwealth Council calls ‘cybercrimes, ‘ like identity and copyright theft, hacking, viral attacks, and illegal artificial intelligence within the Council itself, or any of the businesses that have networks connecting it together. Nate was shocked a bit about the network that was being used, it would seem that only the Council use it fully, and the businesses only have a limited use. Special Response, deals with things like hostage situations, bombs, and heavily armed criminals. In the unlikely event that attackers enter the Council Building, they are the first line of defense, armed with military grade equipment. Finally Patrol, which has bases stationed throughout the Commonwealth. Unlike the other divisions, they are rarely seen at the Council, nor do they stay in one place long. As they go around, keeping an eye out for threats.

Because of his training in the US Army as a Combat Engineer, he was able to get a job in the office of Special Response. Well, that was the cover story anyway;, you see, whilst he did work for C-Sec, he was working for the Commonwealth Council in another way too, as a Spectre.

Spectres were from a different office of the Commonwealth Council, the Office of Special Tactics and Reconnaissance, and they have no real command structure, other than answering to the Commonwealth Council and the President of the USA. Even then, in most cases the Council and the President prefers not to know the exact details of how a Spectre accomplishes their mission. This was so they could deny everything should something go wrong.

The public don’t know much about the Spectres, as all records are sealed and only granted access with permission of the Council, which is rarely done. A Spectre could be anyone, until they are called upon, they work just like anyone else, in any job. They could be a friend, a neighbor, even a family member. It is not even clear how many there are: but from C-Secs intelligence, the estimates were fewer than a hundred. Each Spectre is hand-picked by the Council after proving that they are an individual of exceptional ability and self-reliance.

The public knew that, should they see a Spectre, then something big was going on. They are only called upon as the very last option, when all other options are used up, the Spectres were often the last call of action before going to war. Although they are at times called upon in a state of emergency, when C-Sec, even the military, are unable to deal with the threat alone.

In most cases Spectres are elite military operatives, granted the authority to deal with threats to the peace and stability of the nation, in whatever way they deem necessary. Either with careful diplomacy or ruthless force, being officially above any law.

Spectres operate independently or in groups of two or three. Some are empathetic peacekeepers, resolving disputes through diplomacy, using force as a last resort. Others are cold-blooded assassins, ruthlessly dispatching problem individuals. All get the job done, one way or another, often operating outside of the bounds of the law. Because of this, there are some that sees the Spectres as a potential risk, because they are not constrained by the law like everyone else are, whilst others are in awe of them.

Candidates for the Spectres typically have years of military, law enforcement or rescue experience before even being considered. The screening process involves background checks, psychological evaluations, and a long period of field training under an experienced mentor. Because of the rigorous selection process, Spectres might sometimes use unorthodox methods but they rarely go rogue. When it does happen, the only solution is to revoke their status then send another Spectre after them. No one else would be up to the job.

Spectres are stripped of their status once they are declared legally deceased. They can only be reinstated once proof of living (e.g. appearing in person and passing a D.N.A check) is presented.

Nate was was glad that Spectres wear armour to hide their identity, as he might have problems with C-Sec, with them and the Spectres often at odds. Many C-Sec members, believe that allowing Spectres to be ‘above the law’ is a dangerous practice, as there is nothing to control them, and make them accountable for their actions. In turn, most Spectres are aggravated when C-Sec’s dedication to procedure and due process hampers their investigations.

His thoughts were interrupted when a voice coming from the bathroom door said, “Are you alright dear?”

As he looked round, Nathan saw his twenty-two year old wife. He had to smile, as he wondered how lucky he was to be married to her. Nora was as stunning when they first met, her shoulder length light brown hair, blue eyes that shine even in the dark, fair skin, and a soft smile to compliment it all.

“I’m fine love,” Nate said with a warm smile, “I was thinking about the past, and how things changed for me in the last three years since I left the Army. I’m still amazed how I found and married you, and we had Shaun.”

Nora smiled at her husband, whilst it has been rough for them for one reason or another, she did love Nate. Thanks to him, she had her son, and it was all because of that fateful meeting about two years ago, “I know what you mean Nate, and I sometimes wonder what our life would be like if we didn’t meet that day. Do you remember dear?”

“How could I forget,” Nate smiled, “It was the day that we both became Spectres.”

It was true, it was a day he could not forget, he learnt that most of the Spectres, like him, we’re an L’Cie, someone who had supernatural powers.

L’Cies appeared around the 2020’s and no one knew why or how they gained these powers. They were easy to recognize, as they had a birthmark somewhere on their body; each one was different to the child, but one thing was for sure, in the middle of the birthmark was a closed eye. The eye would only open when the person was using their power. Nate’s mark was on his left shoulder, and it took the form of a cog.

No one knew the true potential of an L’Cie, as every so often, an L’Cie would be born with an unknown power. What they knew is that not only does an L’Cie have supernatural like powers, but they also have super human bodies, making it so they were stronger, faster, and more agile.

Some of the basic supernatural abilities that each L’Cie had are the following: summon, banish, levitate, and creating a barrier. They might not sound impressive, but in a fight, they were the most useful skills that an L’Cie would have. These weren’t the only skills they had, there were some who had other abilities that other L’Cies don’t have. Some had elemental powers, or some other unique power that only a rare few might have, like being able to buff up them and their allies skills and physical abilities, or like Nate have a better understanding of machines and able to improve or control them. Nora on the other hand, was only a basic L’Cie.

Anyway, back to when Nate meet Nora, Nathan was shocked to learn that not only was she a L’Cie like him, but she was a law student. He had to wonder why a lawyer would be here. It was explained the Commonwealth Council wanted more diplomacy, and so they wanted Spectres who could become diplomats, thus the reason for Nora and two more lawyers being there. It didn’t mean that Nora and the other lawyers weren’t trained to fight should diplomacy fail, they were fully capable of defending themselves.

As for training to become a Spectre, he was shocked to find out how they do it. Sure Nate suspected it would take years to train, and it did, but whilst it was two years of training for him and the other candidates, to the outside world, it was a day. You see Spectres were trained in a time dilation warehouse, where two years passed for them, but only one day passed outside, and whilst they were in the warehouse they only aged a day. While useful, it just proved more to Nate that the Commonwealth Council has been holding things out on the public. He often wondered why they kept so much secret, the only thought was that the Council don’t think they are ready for it; seeing how humanity misuses things, he could understand their fears.

Either way, during his time in the time dilation warehouse, he and Nora slowly on a show for their friends and family, seeing that it would be strange if they knew each other when they were strangers only yesterday.

And so time, passed and life become good for the couple, Nora finished Law School and Nate was doing well at C-Sec. Over the next two years, Nate and Nora had only been on a handful of Spectre’s missions for the Commonwealth Council, mainly to stop a few threats who got their hands on technology they shouldn’t have, technology that the public shouldn’t learn about.

A year after leaving the warehouse they got married and moved to the friendly town of Concord, about a mile away from the suburb Sanctuary Hills which was located on a small island, only accessible by two ways; a small footbridge behind where Nate and his wife lived, and a larger bridge which crosses the nearby river and leads, via road, to Concord. It was built in 2070, made up of thirty-five cottages and bungalows, branded as Homes of Tomorrow. There was a small cave on the island where kids go to play. The population of this suburb was about one hundred and fifty.

Nora smiled at her husband, knowing he was right. “How goes the speech for the Veteran’s Hall?”

“Got the start of it, but the next part won’t come to me.” Nathan admitted with a sigh, “I’m taking a break, and going back to it later.”

“Whatever you write I know you’re gonna knock ‘em dead at the Veteran’s Hall, hon.” Nora tried to reassure her husband, “So do you want to eat?”

“I wouldn’t mind one of your omelets,” Nate told his wife, “and if you could, can you ask Codsworth to make me a coffee? I’ll be out in a moment.”

“Sure hon.” Nora replied before she left, allowing her husband to finish cleaning himself up.

A few minutes later, Nathan left the bathroom and strolled from the hallway, into the kitchen trying to pop his neck.

He and Nora lived in a neighborhood with the Homes of Tomorrow. Each home in the neighborhood was different, theirs was a gorgeous small cottage, two bedroom one bathroom home with walls shifting from baby blues, to tans, to whites in an inviting way. The kitchen is part of the living room only divided by a small island counter. The dining room is directly next to the refrigerator with no walls allowing the family to hold a conversation from anywhere in these three areas. The soft rubbery black tiles on the floor would massage his feet with each step were he not wearing loafers. Carpets were fitted neatly in the living room and dining room beneath the furniture. Like all the homes in the neighborhood, the home was controlled by a hub in the hallway, it controlled the lighting, heating and the secretary of the house.

As Nate entered the kitchen, he was greeted by a floating chrome plated robot in the shape of a sphere, speaking in a generic British butler voice. It has three retractable eyes and three retractable arms with prongs at the end to match. Nate had named this Mister Handy robot Codsworth, who was holding his morning coffee as usual, and as it handed the drink to its Master, Codsworth said, “Ah! Good afternoon sir! Your Coffee!”

“You brew it right this time?” Nate joked.

“173.5 degrees Fahrenheit. Brewed to perfection!” Codsworth remarked overjoyed.

“Perfect as always.” Nate graciously blows on the brew “Thanks Codsworth.”

“Of course, Sir! Today’s newspaper.” Codsworth picks up the paper near the fridge presenting it to his Master.

“I’ll take that.” Nora says as she sneaks her way in the kitchen from the laundry room.

Nate began sipping his coffee as he picked up a copy of Grognak the Barbarian from the island counter. “Grognak The Barbarian: Jungle of the Bat Babies, huh?” Nora commented as she noticed what her husband was reading.

“Hey, it’s still my favorite.” Nate said with a smile.

“Our favorite, you mean,” Nora corrected him, “I told you it was good.”

Before he could open it, their son Shaun starts crying letting everybody know he’s awake. “Ah, sounds like someone made a stinky! I shall attend to young Shaun.” Codsworth joked while he flew to Shaun’s room.

Nora began laughing, “I was nervous at first, but Codsworth’s really good with Shaun.”

Nate smiled as he walked over to the living room and lounges on the couch, turning his focus to the TV which is playing the weather channel. Remarks about the odd recent high late October temperatures, as well as comments on Halloween happening in eight days.

Than as he turned over the channel to see what was on, he saw the trailer for the new movie, ‘Grognak The Barbarian: The Movie, ‘ was coming out within the next few weeks. Then there was an advert for implants, the adverts stated that they were being used for years in the Resource Wars to help in the fight against China and their allies. But now, the public was now allowed to use some of the same implants that the Army uses, to help them in their daily life.

Nathan and Nora were no strangers to implants, in fact both of them got some within them, Nate got some of his during the war, Nora during her training to become a Spectre. Nate got his as to use one of the Power Armour’s, each soldier needed to have a dataport implant in the back of their heads, which was located at the base of their neck. The dataport implant not only allow them control the Power Armour that the user was using, but they could input info into their brains.

But that’s the only implant he got from the Army, the rest he got when he and Nora become Spectres, and learned about the threats that were hidden to the world. Whilst Nora got her dataport implant when she became a Spectre, they also gained a few other implants that contained tiny machine known as Nanites, that go through a person’s body to help a person to become stronger, move faster and heal faster, among many other things.

The main implant that all Spectres would have was the Cellular Memory Recall Implant, which they would be installed into the brain, and then they would have the Nanites alter the person’s eyes. They altered them so that whatever they saw would be recorded, and would be stored on the implant for a week before it is recorded over. To keep the recordings, they have to either download the recording onto their own secure computers, or write reports to the Council.

The implant and the Nanites would allow the person to have their own personal Heads-Up Display. The HUD would keep track of the person’s life readings, and among other things, it could scan the area and scan for a person, it could also detect biorhythms, heat, and lastly, it had telescopic vision so it could see afar. Nathan had to admit that Cellular Memory Recall Implants were one of Big MT’s best inventions.

But as Nate watched the advert, he began to wonder something, why was the Commonwealth Council allowing this new technology out into the public. If his suspicions about the Council was right, for as long as the Council had existed, they were keeping things out of the public that they thought the public wasn’t ready for. However, over the last few years, more and more technology was coming out, like better computers, TVs and such, so why now? It was like they were trying to keep the public busy, and not have them questioning stuff that they shouldn’t be. The question was, what?

Nate sighed, not knowing what to think, he could be going crazy, making things up where there wasn’t anything going on. It could be that with the war going on, the Commonwealth Council could be just trying to help the people, so that their lives were better. He did like the Omni-tool that he got from the Army, which was now available to the public. An omni-tool can be used to analyze and adjust the functionality of most standard equipment, including weapons and armor, from a distance.

The Omni-tool breaks down common everyday items into what they call Omni-gel, where it can rapidly assemble small three-dimensional objects from common, reusable industrial plastics, ceramics, and light alloys. This allowed him do field repairs and modifications to most standard items, as well as the reuse of salvaged equipment.

Nate’s thoughts were interrupted as he looked outside his window and saw a light blue Vault-Tec van, parked in front of their home. The man in the driving seat wore a blue suit, whilst the person who came out the passenger seat, was a man in a bright yellow trench coat and matching fedora, underneath the trench coat he had a white shirt and a red tie.

Nate sighed at this, and mumbles to himself about the man coming back “That salesman again?” Nora asked in concern.

The doorbell rings, Nate crosses his arms and continues to watch the TV. Nora gracefully walks over and opens the door. “Good morning! Vault-Tec calling!” The Salesman says, tipping his hat to Nora with a voice that’s obviously false kindness.

“Vault-Tec? What’s that now?” Nora questions pretending to be intrigued.

“Why, we’re about you ma’am! And about helping you to secure your future! You see, Vault-Tec is the foremost builder of state-of-the-art underground fallout shelters. Vaults, if you will. Luxury accommodations, where you can wait out the horrors of nuclear devastation.”

“No offense ... but no soliciting” Nora cocks her head to the side with a straight face.

The Vault-Tech Rep gives a big smile back before continuing. “Oh, no worries ma’am. No worries at all! I’m not selling anything, not today. You can’t begin to know how happy I am to finally speak with you. I’ve been trying for days. It’s a matter of utmost urgency I assure you.”

“What’s so important?” Nora asks in a monotone voice.

While frantically moving his arms the Salesman replies “Why nothing less than your entire future! If you haven’t noticed ma’am this country has gone to heck in a handbasket!” The Vault-Tech Rep regains his composure and grabs his clip board tightly “If you’ll excuse my language, the big kaboom is ... It’s inevitable, I’m afraid. And coming sooner than you may think. If you catch my meaning.”

Nate gets aggravated at this, wanting to put an end to it, he gets up and walks up to the door startling the Rep. The salesman reaches his left hand out in defense and nervously says “I know you’re a busy man, so I won’t take up much of your time. Time being um, precious commodity. I’m here today to tell you that because of your family’s service to our country, you have been preselected for entrance into the local Vault. Vault 111.” He says waving his hands around while saying the vault’s number.

Nate and Nora both knew about Vault 111, how could they not, they had deals for those who were already pre-selected for entrance into the Vault. It was behind their homes, up a hill.

“I have a family, there’s room for my entire family right?” Nate asked annoyed, hoping he would say no so that he could get rid of the man with ease.

“Of course of course! Minus your robot naturally. It has all the amenities of the modern home, I assure you.” The Vault-Tec Rep told Nathan, turning Nate’s plan against him, “Not to mention total protection from nuclear radiation and hostile mutants. A better future, underground. It’s not only our mission, it’s our passion. In fact you’re already cleared for entrance. It’s just a matter of verifying some information. Don’t want there to be any hold up in the Uh...” The rep squeamishly laughs and clears his throat “ ... total atomic annihilation. Won’t take but a moment.”

“And there’s the catch! Come back some other time.” Nate says as he begins to close the door.

“Come on hon, it’s just a little paperwork,” Nora said suddenly, “let him fill it out and it’s done.”

“I said no!” Nate rebutted, not wanting to give the Rep the time of day.

“And I’m saying yes,” Nora told her husband, “as seeing that if you did, he won’t have to return.”

Nate sighed, knowing his wife was right about this, and so with another sigh he said defeatedly, “Fine, fine, I’ll do it.”

“Splendid, splendid let’s get to it.” The Vault-Tec Rep says with great relief, then with a smile, he said, “Now it says in our records, you are an L’Cie, is this right?”

“Yes it is.” Nate replied to the Salesman, as the Rep wrote a few things down on his note board.

“Are your wife and son L’Cies?” asked the Rep.

“They are.” Nathan replied, as the Salesman wrote more things on his note board, before going on to ask Nate a few more questions, some personal, some about his job history and some about his family.

Than as they finished, the Rep passed Nate a pen and the clipboard, and said, “Please check this and sign and date it if everything is correct.”

Nate checks the information before signing and dating it, before giving the clipboard back to the Rep. He begins checking it over. “Ah, wonderful that ... is ... everything ... I just gonna walk this over to the Vault. Congratulations on being prepared for the fu-” Nate slams the door before he can finish.

“Hey it’s peace of mind, that’s worth a little paperwork right?” Nora comments trying to relax Nate.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.