Journey to Eden - Cover

Journey to Eden

Copyright© 2017 by Friar Tuck

Chapter 12: Healing

Jord lay in agony under the healer’s care. Jona had bathed him in an herb infusion thought to reduce the pain and the swelling, but healing had been slow. Now she suffered with him, literally feeling his pain as she tried to help him bear it. She tended to her other duties mechanically, depending on her daughter and others in the village to make preparations for the coming winter. All were willing to help, none held back, as they saw the pain of their co-leaders.

Seth and Leana, with Tia, Dann, and Aard, lent their strength and skills in smoking and drying the meat and fish, gathering grains for bread, herbs for cooking and medicine, and firewood. Most of this was an ongoing process, with all of them familiar in the shared tasks, but they, especially Tia, learned from one another, eager to share and gain knowledge that would help them to survive.

Jord continued to slip in and out of delirium, and at times they could hear his groaning sub-vocally, as well as audibly. Never once did they hear him complain for himself, though, only voicing concern for his family and his people.

On the third day, Leana was helping Jona prepare pemmican, and they heard him mumbling. She asked her friend, “Who is he talking to in there? He keeps saying something about the village, and about you and Meta, and Rand. But no one is there with him.”

Jona gave her a wan smile, “Yes, Someone is there, and if He wills it, Jord will come out of there soon, back to those who love him.”

“But how can this be?” Leana was incredulous. “I see no one when I go to wipe his brow and take him water. Yet he still speaks as if there is someone there besides me.”

“There is,” said Jona. “And Jord knows him well. If anyone can lead Jord back to this life, he can. Jord knows that, and will tell you and Seth all about him when the time comes. For now we must prepare for winter. There is still a village to care for.”

Indian Summer

The weather turned warm again in a late-autumn respite, and there was time for one more hunt. Aard and Dann were eager to go with the youth of the village. Tia and Meta, not to be outdone, prepared their weapons for the hunt and joined in as well.

“Beware of the wild pigs,” cautioned Jona. “They have been feeding on acorns, and are fat, but do not think that has slowed them down. They still move quickly. Watch them carefully, and take no chances.”

Seth called Dann aside and handed him a prized possession, a spear with a foot-long iron head. Two spurs, each a hand span in length, projected from the base of the spear head, at right angles to the shaft, and opposite one another. He had taught Dann how to use this spear, a boar spear, early on in his apprenticeship, and had explained the strange shape of it. “The blade is long, and the point is sharp, but a charging boar, or any other prey for that matter, could force its way up the haft and do some damage before it dies. These projections stop it dead, and as long as you do not lose your grip, the beast cannot get past the blade. It has saved my life before, and you would do well to learn how to use it.”

He handed it to Dann now, and simply said, “Return it to me in your own hand, Kinsman. I would hunt with it again.” Almost overwhelmed, Dann nodded his thanks, not trusting himself to say anything in acknowledgment of the loan. “And be patient, young hunter,” Seth continued, “do not allow your temper to override your judgment.”

For a time Seth’s parting words puzzled Dann, but he soon realized their significance.

Rand, son of Jona and Jord, and self-appointed leader of the village youth, led the band of youngsters as they made their way down the hidden trail toward the river, to the stand of oaks that graced the hillside above it. An accomplished hunter at an early age, he was eager to show off in front of the strangers, and he placed Tia where she could best witness and appreciate his skills. Aard and Dann were consigned to the ranks of the novices, where they would have little chance of making any significant contribution to the hunt. Not that far removed from such a position in his original group, Aard was oblivious to any hidden meaning in the gesture, but it rankled Dann. Nevertheless, he accepted his place as assigned by Rand as he would defer to any leader, but he saw Tia’s eyes following the bigger youth, and it angered him.

Rand had also taken every opportunity to belittle their rude gear and trappings, holding up his own carved and decorated lance in comparison. “This is the weapon of a hunter,” he sneered, “not a butcher’s knife.”

Dann bristled at this, too. In their old Group place, there had been little time to decorate weapons and tools. They had found even less time in their travels, and any handcrafts were strictly utilitarian. Then he remembered Seth’s admonition. “They serve their purpose, Rand,” he replied evenly, “we have come this far with them, and have found them perfectly adequate.” Then he turned, and stalked off to his position in the file.

The first two days passed with only one minor incident. They had passed by a brush-hidden cave inhabited by some apparent relatives of the ‘patches, that remained hidden and silent until the first of the party had passed, then had erupted into a furious caterwauling that had startled them all, especially terrifying the younger ones, who were on their first hunt. Since Dann had shown them some attention, and acted as if it were not below his station to care for them, they ran to him, instead of their hunt leader, for protection. And now it was Rand who showed irritation, and who muttered his displeasure. Dann again kept silent, and ignored him, thus impressing the rest of the older youths.

By the third day they had made their way to the edge of the oak forest where they would camp for the duration of the hunt. There they made a shelter for themselves at the base of one of the massive trees. An almost impenetrable tangle of bramble and thorn apples sheltered them on the one side, and the river had piled up an equally impressive pile of deadwood along the other. “We should cut poles for drags from the grove yonder, and take back as much of this as we can for firewood,” said Dann. “It will be appreciated almost as much as the meat and fat from the pigs.”

“I suppose it would,” sneered Rand, “but I came to hunt for meat. You can come back with the women and children to hunt for firewood, if you wish.” He cut off a piece of jerky and stuffed it into his mouth, “And I would take back more than a pig or two. We have seen the tracks of a bear more than once this day, and it will be fat and ready for a long nap.” He looked directly at Tia, and said, “And I already know what I will do with a nice warm bearskin.”

Dann turned at that, and called to Aard to help him with some task or another, and made his way toward the brambles. He paused, hearing a voice beside him. “Do not take offense at my brother’s words. It will take more than bragging to impress her.” Meta smiled, “Bear skin or no, she is not so easily beguiled.” Then, seeing Aard approaching, she finished quickly, before he could hear, “I only wish someone else would be as interested in who pays attention to whom.”

“Hello, Meta,” said Aard, then turning to Dann, he said “I heard you call.” He grinned and asked, “what did you want, teacher?”

“I was just about to tell Meta that I suspect there might be some dried apples and berries here for the taking, and there is a blasted tree a short way back along our track, that might have a beehive in it. Did you not see them as we passed?” He turned to Meta and said, “Back in our Group, we made bark vessels to carry honey and honeycomb in, and to store it.”

“We have done the same,” said the girl, “and we can line some baskets with leaves, in order to carry the comb.” She turned to Aard, “Can you make rush baskets, and cut poles to carry them?”

Aard looked at Dann, who smiled encouragingly. “Yyyes,” he stammered, ‘we know how to do that. All in our Group learned to do that when we were very young. Aya saw to that, and she was a strict teacher.”

Meta smiled, “Good! Then it is settled! You will help me and the others. We need someone to teach the younger ones.”

Dann nodded at the blushing youth. “But only when you are not taking part in the hunt. We need every hand for that. And it would be best if you did not attract too much attention from Rand. I’m sure he would find it a source of irritation. Go ahead and make your plans now, but be sure to get some rest.”

A Lesson in Humility

Meta wiped the sweat from her face with her arm, and looked around the camp. “We have done well, Tia. Four days, four wild pigs hang ready to carry back. Three pots of honey and baskets of comb as well, and no one fell out of the tree.”

Tia giggled, “But Dann did come down in a rush when he found the smoke hadn’t calmed the bees enough. Did you see the welts on his face and arms from the stings?”

Meta laughed, “I did, and Aard got stung as well, but he was too proud to let us see how much it hurt.”

“I got stung too,” said Tia, “and yes, it did hurt!” She looked at the pots, “But it will be worth it to see the look on their faces when they see what we ‘youngsters’ have brought back to camp.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.