Journey to Eden - Cover

Journey to Eden

Copyright© 2017 by Friar Tuck

Chapter 11: I Am Jona

Seth started at the sound of the voice, but could not see who was speaking. He strained to turn, but still was held fast by a sensation he’d never felt before. He could see that Aard and Dann were similarly restrained, but that Tia and Leana appeared to be free to move, and were standing relaxed, and smiling at him. His mind worked furiously, seeking a way out, but he was powerless to move. Yet there was no sensation of pain, and the initial fright was draining away, leaving him relaxed, yet wary. “Do you greet all new acquaintances in this manner?”

The unseen visitor replied, “No, not all. Some of them do not live long enough to ask that question, Seth. But now we have seen your mind, and have spoken with your daughter, and with Leana, and we sense that you are different from most of our visitors. I will release you from your bonds, so that you can turn and see us as we speak.”

Seth felt a sudden release as the bonds were relaxed, and he regained control. Furious still, at the mental intrusion, he nevertheless had the presence of mind to control himself. He turned slowly, and forced himself to relax as he saw for the first time the face of their visitor.

She was tall, slender, and graceful, with a pleasant smile that showed sparkling white teeth in a startling contrast against the extreme darkness of her face. Her deep brown eyes echoed that smile, giving assurance that it was genuine. Modestly dressed in soft, tanned leather, she radiated a self-assurance, and a strength, that was confident, yet not overbearing.

“I am Jona.” Three words, simply spoken, yet saying all that was needed to be said about the one who spoke them. “And I welcome you, Seth, and your family. You have no need to fear any harm from me or our people.”

She smiled at Seth’s reaction, and indicated the beautiful, ebony-skinned young woman standing beside her. “And this is my daughter, Meta. It was she who first spoke with your Tia, and they became friends. Perhaps it would have been different if it had been you or one of your young males that had made first contact. But we are pleased that it turned this way, and we would be friends with you.”

Seth, as had Tia and Leana, felt immediately at ease with this majestic woman. Tall and graceful, she moved to him and offered her hand in friendship. He reached and grasped it, and felt the strength and assurance she radiated. He looked at Leana, who stood there beaming, obviously pleased with this turn of events. Dann had relaxed, and was smiling, while Aard simply stared open-mouthed, completely entranced by the beauty of this daughter of the hills. Meta returned his gaze, then smiled demurely and looked down. Fully as tall as her mother, she evinced the same self assurance, yet it was obvious that here was one who was not self-centered.

Aard realized he was staring at the girl, and looked away, blushing furiously. Jona smiled and said, “Do not be embarrassed by your thoughts, Aard, they are yours alone. We do not peer into the minds of others unless invited, or unless we are trying to see who is friend and who is foe. No one will know what you think unless you choose to share it. She turned again to Seth and Leana, “Will you accompany us to our home? There is room to spare, winter draws near, and there are those who would welcome minds such as yours.”

Seeing unhesitating acceptance on the faces of his family, Seth responded, “We will come, Jona, though we ourselves are unsure just what these mind gifts are, and why they have been given to us. I think we have much to learn from you.” He turned back to the rest of his band, “I think we will not have to look further for a wintering place now. Come, let us make ready and follow.”

Tia linked arms with the daughter of Jona, and, giggling like young girls, they started down the trail toward the village of the Freeborn. Leana watched them go, and seeing for the first time the trail they followed, looked at Jona in bewilderment. “Yes,” answered Jona, “the trail has been there all along. We hide it from the minds of those of whom we are wary, until we discover their intentions.”

“I see we have more to learn from you than we thought,” acknowledged Seth, “and I think we have more to be thankful for than we first thought.”

Jona smiled again. “And I see that we have the same one to thank!” She indicated the talisman hanging on the chain around Seth’s neck. “That was a factor in our decision to accept you. It was not the only thing, but knowing that you acknowledge the fact that there is one who is higher, brings us closer together.”

He looked sharply at her, then at the metal thing around his neck. “I see there is much we do not know about many things.”

“Then we shall teach, and learn, together,” said Jona. “Your family and mine have a destiny to share. I feel this, and I know my husband will welcome the opportunity as well. Jord hunts now, to add to our stores, and our son, Rand, hunts with him.

There will be several more hunts before winter, and I think you will enjoy them, and your sons will also, if they can keep up with Tia and Meta.” She turned to Leana and smiled again, “Come now, I will help you with Tia’s burden, as it seems that she has forgotten it.”

-- Jord --

The giant stag, bleeding from a dozen superficial wounds, turned to face its attackers. Its sides heaved as it gathered wind for a desperate, final, charge. The deadly horns, its chief offensive as well as defensive weapons, lowered, and it started slowly moving toward its tormenters. Two of them, a man and a woman, already lay gravely injured, and it now turned its attention toward the giant of a man who stood between it and freedom.

The chase had been long, the fight sharp and brutal, but now the end was near, and the weary animal seemed to recognize it. Still it seized on the only chance open to it. Its instinct for survival was undiminished, and it looked to the gap.

Jord stood relaxed and ready. Like the animal facing him, he was nearly out of breath. Now he stood waiting, knowing only this moment. He, too, lowered his head, then dropped to one knee, in admiration and appreciation of the creature that held his attention. His orison finished, he stood again, and waited.

With a trumpeting bellow, the stag lunged forward, head dipping in preparation for the killing sweep intended to disembowel the enemy barring its way.

Those watching said that Jord waited too long. The wicked horns would surely tear deep into soft flesh, ripping it asunder from the bone. Cries of alarm sounded even as the man, seemingly overwhelmed by those horns, twisted, dropped, and moved aside, allowing the stag full access to the gap before it.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.