A Hole in the Ground - Cover

A Hole in the Ground

Copyright© 2017 by BuzzyBee

Chapter 5: Sunday

Both Steve and Dale woke early and were shaved showered and were eating breakfast by six. Both were anxious about their change in plans and how the girls would take it.

Steve and Dale both packed some extra clothes just in case and the weapons cases. Dale had to remind Steve to wear his weapon in the shoulder holster. Just before six thirty they got into the Wrangler and drove over to the gate to wait for the girls.

The marshal on duty was out and about, returning to the command post when he finished walking the site.He arrived back as Dale and Steve pulled up. He invited them in for a coffee and a chat.

As they sipped their coffee the marshal updated them on the goings on over night while Dale used one of the computers in the command post to check the outstanding work at the site.

The gates required new electric rams, repairs to them to be completed Monday. The security command post was almost setup in the gatehouse and would be operational Monday. The intruder detections passive infrared and radar was being installed in two locations would be operational Sunday evening. Alarming to the tunnel between the garage and the hangar was being installed as well as cameras. Security wanted cameras in the house basement, this was defered till the house was built reconnecting the basement.

Dale checked his email, there was a suggestion from Jarvis that a door be punched through between the gatehouse and the garage and one of the bays be fitted out as an office, he noted that the bay was tall enough for a mezzanine floor to be installed there as well.

Dale mentioned the suggestion to Steve, who asked how many people they would need on site and if it would be large enough.

Dale said, “Right now we have between ten and twelve agents working on this, there isn’t sufficient room the Jacksonville office so we were going to bring in two trailers and stash them behind the garage.”

Steve said, “If we use up the space in the garage then we will need to build another one, how about building a mezzanine in the first and third bays and link them by a walkway on the common wall. That way we can use the mezzanine as office space and not loose three bays, the middle bay is still usefull for truck sized loads on the elevator.”

Dale wrote the ammended suggestion up added his endorsement and sent it up the food chain for approval.

They were still discussing the mezzanine and options when the two girls arrived. Sandra had parked her Camry next to the Wrangler and Steve opened her door to help her out getting a full body hug and kiss that left him hard, he was reluctant to let Sandra go. They parted with big smiles on their faces.

Dale and Becky were almost humping each other as Dale pressed her against the side of the Camry, they only stopped when Sandra slammed the rear passenger door after retrieving her bag.

Dale opened the other rear passenger door and retrieved Beckys bag, he took her hand and led her to the Wrangler.

Steve said to Sandra, “I’m sorry there’s been a change in plans we’re leaving here as soon as we can. I haven’t shot in a long time and I need some practice time. You and Becky can get some sleep on the aircraft, but its only an hour flight to Tampa. I’ll spend and hour or two on the firing range, then we can have lunch and fly home or you can stay here or go home.”

Becky when Sandra said in a slightly menacing tone, “Listen buster your not getting rid of me that easily.”

She took a steps towards Steve, he dropped her bag when she reached up and pulled his head down ferociously kissing him. Then some what more gently she said, “Steve it’s no big deal, we’ll catch some sleep when we need it. I want to be in your life and this is part of it.”

Steve hugged Sandra and said, “Thanks, I love you,” it had just slipped out.

Sandra smiled saying, “I love you too,” as she released Steve they seperated.

Steve picked up Sandra’s bag and put it in the Wrangler as well.

It was a short trip to the hangar, within five minutes Steve was opening the hangar door. He backed the Wrangler up to the rear of the Citation and opened the baggage storage compatment and loaded all their baggage, he put aside the girls bags, they would go in the cabin.

Steve then opened the cabin door and asked Sandra and Becky to board. Steve and Dale carried the girls bags into the cabin and Steve asked Sandra, “Would you like to be my copilot today?”

A huge grin lit Sandra’s faces as she nodded, “Yes please.”

“Take a seat in the cabin and I’ll move the aircraft outside and do the preflight, then when I come on board you can sit with me in the cockpit,” he said.

Sandra nodded, then Dale asked, “Is there anything for me to do?.

“Just sit back and enjoy the flight,” Steve smiled and said.

Steve left the aircraft and closed the cabin door. He moved the wrangler outside the hangar then he attached the aircraft tug to the Citation using the tow bar. Removed the wheel chocks and he towed the aircraft out of the hangar and positioned it so the jet exhaust from the Citation engines avoided the hangar.

He returned the tug to its previous parking position, closed the hangar doors and returned to the aircraft.

His next step was to open the cabin door and retrieve the preflight checklist. Steve found no issues with the externals of the aircraft, he climbed aboard the aircraft, closed and locked the cabin door.

He gave the safety briefing to his passengers then asked Sandra to come with him to the cockpit. He showed her how to climb in to the copilots seat and fasten the shoulder seat belts.

Once he had Sandra setup he handed her the prefight chack list and said, “Your going to help me today, do you think you can manage that?”

A little uncertainly Sandra said nodded and said yes. Steve passed her a checklist then said, “Read each item one at a time when I perform that action I’ll repeat it or acknowledge it then go to the next item.”

Sandra soon got the hang of it and worked through the pre flight checklist, next was the engine start checklist.

After the engines were running Steve called Jacksonville ATC and submitted a flight plan to Tampa International airport and activated it.

Sandra next read the taxi checklist, then the take off followed by the climb to cruising altitude and the final checklist for cruising at altitude.

Once they were at their cruising altitude, Sandra said with a laugh, “I thought you knew how to fly?”

Steve smiled and said, “I know how to fly, the checklists help make sure each flight is performed as perfectly as possible, that why there are so few aircraft problems.”

“So let me guess when we get to Tampa we will use another set of checklist to land, taxi, engine shutdown and a post flight checklist,” she said.

“You’ve got it in one,” Steve said.

Steve trimmed the aircraft, “So how do you like flying with me?” He asked.

“It’s busy, you have so many things to do and remember I don’t think I could do it,” Sandra said.

“All it takes is practice and a bit of dedication, your a nurse many people couldn’t do that job but you do and I bet you do it well,” Steve said.

“I like to think I do, how would I go about learning to fly?” She asked.

“You book an introductory flight to see if you’d like it. Then if you decide you, you take a flight physical to make sure your healthy enough. Lessons follow that covers everything you need to know about flying and all the other bits and pieces, you’ll need about fifty hours of instruction. After that you have to pass a written test and a practical hands on flight. If you pass then your a pilot,” Steve said

“What about flying this plane?” She asked.

“Instrument lessons so you can fly at night or bad weather. You take lessons on complexed aircraft, they’re aircraft with retractable under carrages and fly faster. Then multi engine lessons, jet lessons get you to the stage you can in theoery fly a jet aircraft. You take lesson for a particular type of aircraft, then you can fly one type and model of aircraft,” Steve said.

“That sounds like a lot of work,” she said.

Steve smiled as he learnt he weighed up the cost effort and time to learn against being able to fly aircraft like the Citation he was flying, “Sandra most worthwile things in life are hard work, once you have the bug, its doesn’t feel like work. I bet nursing was like that for you,” he said.

Sandra didn’t say anything but thought about what Steve had said.

Ten minutes later Steve had Sandra reading the checklists again, as they touched down at Tampa International, Steve requested taxi instructions to Signature flight services and was guided into a parking slot by an aircraft marshall where he shutdown the aircraft.

The Signature staff had their car a Suburban waiting with an FBI agent. Their ground crew helped Steve loaded their baggage into it while Dale was talking to the agent.

The attendant led Steve into the terminal where a conciege greeted Steve and he signed in the aircraft, he asked, “Could the Citation be hangared with ground power connected for the AC and could you put a standard drinks and nibblies package on board, enough for four for an hours flight.”

The concierge was happy to comply with Steves request and asked, “Do you want the fuel topped off?”

Steve said yes to the fuel and waited to pay when Dale came up and said, “The FBI is picking up the charges for the Citation, you can add it to our account here.”

Dale showed the concierge his badge and his agent number was coppied by him, Dale turned to Steve, “We should get going the Suburban’s loaded and the girls are onboard. It’s a five minute trip to the Federal building.”

Steve thanked the concierge and headed to their car. Once they were on the move Dale asked, “Becky, Sandra would you girls like to try your hand at shooting?”

Surprisingly both did, “I’ll see what can be arranged,” Dale said.

“Dale how did the Agent know where to pick us up?” Asked Steve.

Before Dale could answer the agent volunteered, “We were advide your aircraft tail number and when you came in we were monitoring it. We knew where to pick you up when you requested taxi instructions for Signature Flight Services.”

Steve was impressed and he thanked the agent and said to Dale, “I suppose you let them know my tail number?”

“Guilty as charged,” Dale said.

It was a quick trip to the FBI building where the firing range was located. Dale was able to sign the car into the basement parking and had an agent help him unload Steves weapons while Steve and the girls waited for him in the lobby.

The agent that helped Dale, escorted them to the firing range where they were introduced to the range operator and trainer Billy.

While Steve was talking to Billy, Dale was talking to another instructor and asking for some instruction for Sandra and Becky. It was quickly arranged and they were taken to a side room for some instruction, Dale went with them.

Steve explained to Billy he was rusty and needed some practice as he wanted to qualify today. He also he wanted to sight in an AR-15 and an M40.

“No problem what type of sidearm do you have?” Billy said.

Steve drew his Glock ejected the magazine and ratched back the slide to clear any bullets in the gun and said, “Glock 22 in .40 caliber, I have two Glocks that need some gunsmith attention and eight Glocks to test fire.”

“I’ll have someone look at your Glocks,” Billg said. He went out and returned a few minutes later with a gunsmith that asked what the problem was.

Steve pulled the two Glocks from the briefcase and safed the weapon before handing each to the tech saying, “The action is a little gritty and stiff, it feels like the triggers are gritty.”

The gunsmith gently worked the action and immediately felt the problem, he tried the other it was the same. “We see this every now and then, the trigger mechanism needs a little polishing, are you using new magazines as well?” The gunsmith asked...

“Yes all the magazines are,” Steve said

The gunsmith said, “I’l take them and service them as well then you’ll be good to go.” Steve thanked the gunsmith who left with bulging pockets full of magazines.

Billy reached under the counter and pulled out four Glock magazines and passed them to Steve he said, “Fire a magazine at seven, fifteen and twenty five yards, then you can take the course.”

“What if I fail?” Asked Steve.

“You have till midday to pass.” Billg said.

Steve borrowed ear protection and glasses, the stepped up to the stall, it was a Q target set at seven yards, it looked like an milk bottle with two inner scoring zone. The shape represents a head and torso the inner scoring zones are for head shots and center mass (Body) shots. Steve loaded a magazine into the Glock and chambered a round then re-holstered it.

He waited for Billy tell him to shoot, when he said fire Steve drew the Glock a pumped fifteen shots into the inner scoring zones seven in the head and eight in the torso within seven seconds. He ejected the magazine and loaded a second.

Billy changed the target then sent it down to fifteen yards, again he said fire and Steve emptied the magazine as he had previously. He ejected the magazine and loaded a third.

Billy changed the target then sent it down to twenty five yards, again he said fire and Steve emptied the magazine as he had before.He ejected the magazine and loaded the fourth and returned the Glock to his holster.

Billy again changed the target, “Do you want to give your pistol qualification a try now?” Billy asked.

Steve took a few seconds to think about it and said, “Sure lets give it a try, then I will need to know what to work on.”

Billy took the empty three magazines reloaded them, he passed those and two other magazines to Steve saying, “I’ll tell you what to do at each stage, I’ll walk you through the course.”

“Stage One, twenty five yard range, from the standing position draw your weapon fire six shots from prone, kneel on your right knee fire three shots from the baracade, stand fire six with your right leg towards the target, kneel on your left knee fire three shot from the baracade, reload your weapon as necessary. Do you understand the routine?” Billy asked.

Steve said yes and Billy said, “Take your position, wait for the command to start,” there was a pause then, “Fire.”

Steve moved rapidly through the routine taking an extra second to steady before the start of each shooting string. When he hostered his weapon Billy said, “Good, load a new magazine,” Steve reloaded with a fresh magazine and waited, while Billy made some notes.

Billy worked Steve through the three remaining stages of the pistol qualification course. Once Steve finished he waited while Billy wrote some more notes.

Finally Billy said to Steve, “Lets do the your rifle qualification after you check your weapons, do you have a semi automatic weapon?”

Steve said, “Yes an AR-15, do you have range magazines for it in 5.56mm, also I’ll need magazines for an M40 in 7.62?”

Billy said, “Sure do, let me get some he came back with six preloaded for each rifle, he passed them to Steve.”

“Lets sight in the AR-15 then do the M40,” Billy said.

Billy bought out a rifle static test stand and clamp, he secured the AR-15 to the stand. First he checked the iron sights by firing a single round at one hundred feet. The rifle was spot on, he then attached the scope Steve had bought with him. He replaced the target and sent it back down range twenty five feet.

The Billy then sighted the weapon on the target and fired a single round, Steve was looking at the targe with a targeting scope and said, “Two inches at three o’clock.”

Billy made a small adjustment, fire twice making smaller adjustment till he was satisfied, he then askes Steve to fire two rounds from the static test stand.

After each shot Bill simply said, “On target.”

Billy then replaced the target and sent it back down range to one hundred feet, sighted and fire two rounds, “Steve watched the impact each time and reported, “On target,” after each shot.

Billy then took the weapon from the static test stand and had Steve shoot a magazine from the prone and standing position.

Billy smiled as each shot passed through the X-ring effectively shredding the center of the target.

Steve was happy with the AR-15 setup and it was put aside and the M40 now took it place. It require a dozen adjustments before Billy and Steve were happy removing it from the static test stand so Steve could test fire it.

For each rifle Steve fired two magazines for each distance from standing, kneeling and prone, after each distance Billy change the targets and reset the range.

When Steve was ready they followed a similar routine and worked through each of six stages of the Rifle Qualification Course over three distances with Billy reloading magazines as they went.

Billy retrieved all the targetes and made some more notes excusing himself.

Steve put aside the AR-15, and collected the other six Glocks he wanted to test fire. Billy came back with a basket of preloaded Glock range magazines.

Steve laid all six Glocks on the counter along with his backup piece. He then pulled his used Glock from the shoulder holster safed it and put it in the basket for cleaning.

The backup piece was safed, a range magazine was loaded the weapon was then holstered.

Steve loaded a fesh target and sent it down to fifty feet, took two deep breathes then drew and fired all fifteen shots seven in the head and eight in the torso scoring zones in under eight seconds the Glock locked open as the last shot was fire. He repeated the same procedure with the remaining unused Glocks. as he finished firing each they went into the basket that Billy had bought in with the range magazines.

Steve finally placed the last of the Glocks in the basket, happy with them.

Billy knew that Steve would need to clean the weapons. There were signs around the range that almost shouted ‘Clean Your Weapon’, he said, “I’ll grab your rifles, follow me to the cleaning station.”

The cleaning station was in another room and had several tables with a selection of cleaning kits for each weapon.

Steve sat down and started stripping the first Glock, he quickly cleaned it ran a slightly oily rag through the barrel then a dry cloth. He wiped each part with an oily cloth then with a dry cloth, he did the same with each metal part then reassembled and wiped down the outside of it.

Billy watched Steve, there was no wasted actions there was no refering to the how to card for the Glock, if was all done flawlessly from memory. After Steve had cleaned the first two Glocks Billy started cleaning them as well, Steve said he didn’t have to, Billys reply was he needed the practice.

They rapidly cleaned the eight Glocks then Steve started on the rifles. Billy left the table and retrieved a bucket of range loads for the used range magazines, and reloaded them. He took the loaded magazines and bucket of rounds away and came back with a buckets of 7.62 and 5.56 range loads and reloded the ranges AR-15 and M40 magazines.

Steve finished off the M40 as Billy returned with Steves long weapons case, then return with the two briefcases.

Steve carefully loaded the long weapons securing them in the case, the Glocks needed magazines before being secured.

“That was pretty good shooting today, what branch of the service were you in?” Billy asked.

“Army, combat engineer.” Steve said.

“Been out long?” Billy asked.

“A while, how did I go?” Steve said.

“I was asked not to tell you but you know, you were well inside time for each stage in both weapons, with perfect scores,” Billg said.

“Who asked not to tell me?” Asked Steve.

“SAC Dan Roberts,” Billy said.

“Was the shoot today recorded for him?” Steve asked.

Billy had the good grace to blush, “It was, I didn’t know why then but after watching you shoot, can you shoot the Barrett .50 caliber?” He asked.

Steve nodded, “There was an expression of interest that went around early last week for a skilled shooter, it maybe that,” Billy said.

Steve didn’t like the sound of that, but kept it to himself, “I’m off to the academy Monday so it won’t be me,” he said hoping it was true.

Billy nodded then Steve asked, “Can I have a copy of my assessment, it will go no further than me.”

Billy didn’t like people playing games with peoples lives so he agreed and left to make a copy.

While Billy was making a copy of Steves test score, the gunsmith returned with a basket full of magazines and the two Glocks, he said, “There was a couple of burs that needed cleaning up, I polished the mechanism and test fired them and cleaned them, so you should be good to go.”

Steve tried the first Glock he safed it and tried the action, it was smooth as silk, he tried the second one with the same result and said, “I better try them for myself.”

The gunsmith smiled and withdrew four magazines from his pocket and passed them to Steve and said, “Range loads.”

Steve to the two Glocks and the four magazines back to the tange he just left.

First he sent a fresh target down range to fifty feet then he placed a Glock in his sholder holster and a spare magazine on the counter.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.