A Hole in the Ground - Cover

A Hole in the Ground

Copyright© 2017 by BuzzyBee

Chapter 4: Saturday

Steve woke at five excited about the day, he changed into shorts, tee shirt and runners for some morning excercise.

Steve neglected exercising when he was working, but when he wasn’t he was religious about it.

He stretched outside the boathouse and set off at a slow pace, gradually increasing it till he was was running flat out threw the damaged gates onto Colledge roard.

He kept a five to six minute per mile pace up and back on Colledge road. Then followed that up with a run around the boundry of the compound arriving back at the boathouse hot and sweaty. His next stop was the bathroom to shower, shave and get dressed.

Steve had just started cooking his breakfast when Dale rolled out of bed, Steve asked if he wanted breakfast, he got an entheusiastic yes from Dale.

Steve decided breakfast today would be bacon, eggs, toast, orange juice and coffee. “I have to be at the marina by nine, they’re going to complete the pre-delivery inspection on the boat.” Steve said.

Dale nodded, “How about I pick you up at nine and we can kill an hour having coffee or a looking around.” He said

“Ok, I’ll be leaving before seven thirty, it should take me an hour.” Steve said.

Dale cleaned up the breakfast dishes while Steve went down stairs to ready the boat.

Steve spent some time below deck looking around, as he came back above deck he happened to look up at the rafters. There winched up to the ceiling were two wooden boats.

Steve climbed of the boat and went to the desk in the boathouse. There he withdrew the four boat logbooks he had found before. In the front of each was a description and registration of each boat they belonged to, Steve was able to identify the two boats.

One was a 1926 Baby Gar 33-foot Baby Gar equiped with a Liberty V-12 aero engines, it was number eighteen produced, the other was a 1950 Chris-Craft 20’ Riviera.

The remaining logbooks were for a twenty two foot 1928 Chris-Craft and an eighteen foot 1946 Chris-Craft, he put the logbooks away returning to his preparations to get underway.

Dale came down stairs after finishing the breakfast cleanup to see what Steve was doing, when Steve saw him he pointed at the overhead, “Did you know they were there?” Steve asked.

Dale looked up and saw the two wooden boats, “No they weren’t on the inventory.” He replied.

“They probably searched the boathouse before we had the power back on.” Steve said.

Dalw looked at the overhead and the boathouse, “Maybe, I wonder what else they missed?” He asked.

Steve pointed to the desk, “There are four logbooks in the desk, there maybe two other boats some where.” He said.

“I’ll get someone to look into them.” Was Dales reply.

Steve went upstair to get the boats documents, when he came back down Dale was waiting to cast off for him. Steve opened the riverside boatbouse doors then climbed aboard. He ran the blowers for a few minutes before starting the engines.

Once the engines were warmed up he had Dale cast off the aft line, Steve coiled it as it came on board and bought it to the aft seat. He turned the wheel to the right then put the gear box in forward just to get enough idling thrust to move the rear away from the slip. Once it started moving away he has Dale cast off forward, at the same time centering the wheel and put the gearbox in reverse, he slowly backed out of the slip. Once he was clear of the boathouse he put the gearbox in neutral and coiled the forward line and put it on the seat next to him.

Steve shouted to Dale, “I’ll see you at the marina at nine.”

Dale gave Steve a thumbs up as Steve motored up the St Johns River towards Jacksonville.

It had been a long time since Steve had piloted a boat, he had always been told slow is best, at least he hadn’t bashed the boat against the slip.

Now he was motoring along at just under thirty miles per hour after ten minute Steve started to look for some place to buy sunglasses, he had left his behind having forgotten what the sun was like on the water.

He eventually found a bait shop on a small jetty. He eased up and put the boat in neutral and allowed it to drift down to the dock. He hopped off smartly and tied the boat up.

He picked up a pair of polarised Rayban knockoffs, two bottles of water and some chewing gum.

Steve climbed back on board the boat and stated the engines then gently pulled the rope tying the boat to the jetty so it was drifting towards it, with the rope slack he untied it and jumped aboard.

Steves momentum on boarding the boat carried it away from the jetty, he coiled tne rope and stowed it in the cockpit then he engaged the forward gear and motored away.

It took just under an hour to reach the marina, as Steve approached their dock an attendant appeared to receive Steve’s lines. He ran parallel to the dock and with a pulse of reverse thrust bought the boat to a stop. Allowing it to drift down to the dock, he threw the forward line to the attendant who used it to pull the boat closer then tied it off.

Steve then threw the rear line to the attendant, who drew the rear of the boat to the dock. Steve shutdown the engines and took a drink from his water bottle.

A tall solidly built man came out to great Steve, he held his hand out, “Hi Steve, I’m Carl, you talked to my partner Alex yesterday, were glad you bought the Corsair back so we could complete the predelivery. Alex will be your tutor on the Corsair, he’ll be here at ten.” Carl said.

Steve checked his watch and appologies for being half an hour early, Carl waved it off and asked if Steve wanted to have a look at some boats or wait in the lounge.

Steve thought about the logbooks for the other boats in the desk and tried to remember the makes, he could remember the Chris-Crafts and the other more distinctive 33 foot Baby Gar, “Why not, please show me some boats.” He said

Carl asked, “what type of craft would you want, the Corsair is outstanding, what about a fifty foot launch, we have some yatchs in almost every size and if you can’t see something you like we can do a search for you?”

“I prefer older wooden boats, I saw one on the St Johns some time ago, I think it was an early Baby Gar about thirty feet, do you know it.” Steve asked.

Carl said, “The only early Baby Gar around here is a 1926 thrty three footer, we service it and the owners other boats. The baby Gar is a Chris Craft built hull with a Liberty twelve cylinder aero engine.”

Steve, “Any chance the owner might sell.”

Carl laughed and said, “José spent two years looking for that boat and we rebuilt some of the substructure, he’s not going to sell it, he might sell one his other boats though, he never uses them, come on and I’ll show them to you.”

As they walked to a large undercover storage shed Steve asked, “how much is the Baby Gar worth?”

Carl, “José bought it for nine hundred thousand and spent another hundred and fifty thousand rebuilding the motor and the boat, its priceless to a collector, the last one sold for one point one million dollars.”

Steve, “So José is pretty rich?”

Carl laughed, “Filthy rich,” they were standing infront of two pristine wooden boats that Steve didn’t know anything about. It turned out he didn’t need to as Carl had slipped into salesman mode, expounding the virtues of the boats.

Steve made appreciative noises and asked, “are these the only two boats that José has here?”

Carl pointed at a huge motor yatch and said, “Thats the Maria a custom built one hundred and twenty foot motor yatch, José had it built in France and motored here.”

“He would spend time nearly everyday on it, but its only been to sea twice in four years, if you don’t count being dry docked to have the hull cleaned and painted, there’s a crew of five on board.”

As they were talking, Carl had led Steve over to look at the boat. “Any chance of having a look around?” He asked.

“We can ask, the guys are friendly.” Carl said.

Carl went aboard and knocked on the window without success, he frowned and came back down the gang way, “There’s always someone aboard.” He said.

“I’ll be right back, I better check on this.” Carl said.

Steve was looking at the boat when his cell rang, it was Dale. “I’m on the dock, infront of José’s one hundred and twenty foot motor yatch the Maria.” He said.

“I’m on my way.” Dail said.

Five minutes later Dale was standing next to Steve, Dale was filled in about José’s three boats, how Steve found them and the missing crew.

Dale moved away and spent five minutes talking to his boss, the upshot was that an investegation team was on its way to take charge of the three boats.

Carl came back to talk to Steve, “The crew haven’t been seen since Wednesday afternoon,” he said.

Dale gave Steve the look that said that was a big problem. Dale pulled out his FBI identification a second later Steve did as well, Dale said, “I have a team on its way, do you have keys to this boat?”

Carl swallowed and said, “Sure do, in the office locked up.”

Dale, “Get them, let your people know that we have have more agents comming and have them bring them here. Then I want you to tell me everything you know about José.”

Carl swallowed, nodded and quickly walked off, with a smile Steve said, “You were a little brisk with him.”

“He’s a salesman I don’t want to spend all day here,” he smiled thinking of Becky and said, “We have two hot women waiting for us don’t blow it.” Dale said, he and Steve both smiled at the thought.

A few minutes later Carl came back with the keys, Dale had him open the Maria’s door.

As soon as Carl opened the door the stench hit him, his mouth started watering, he turned and threw up over the side of the boat.

Dale drew back from the door, “Lets wait on the dock for the rest of the team,” he said.

Dale called his supervisor and advised they needed a coronor, he held the cell against his chest and asked, “Carl how many crew?”

Carl had a vacant look on his face, Dale pressed him and asked again. After three attempts Carl said, “Five, five crew normally.”

Dale put his hand on Carls shoulder, “Carl are you alright?” He gently asked.

Carl automatically said yes, “Carl your are not alright, is there someone I can call for you?” Dale told him

Carl shook his head, “I need to sit down,” he said.

Dale looked at Carls face, “Carl go back to your office, don’t tell anyone what we found, wash your face, have some milk no coffee, something to eat, if you have pictures of your family look at them and think of them, now go,” he said.

Carl was almost reluctant to leave, finally he headed to the office, “He’s going to need to talk to someone, sooner the better.” Steve said.

Dale agreed, “We’re not going onboard, we won’t be able to get the stench out of our cloths and hair,” he said.

“What do you think happened here?” Dale asked.

“I think our Wednesday night visitor was cleaning up loose ends.” Steve said.

“Maybe,” was Dales reply.

Once the team arrived Dale set them to work, it was just before ten so Steve bailed and went looking for Alex.

Steve asked at reception for Alex as he emerged from from an office, he walked up to Steve and offered his hand.

Alex said, “Nice to meet you Steve, it seems there was a problem.”

Steve thought a problem is a flat tire, five bodies stinking up your business is a catastrophe, Steve kept his expression neutral and said, “It wasn’t my doing that caused this!”

Alex back pedalled, “No of course not,” he then changed the subject, “How do you like the Corsair?”

Steve said with conviction, “It’s everything I could hope for.”

Alex smiled and as they walked out to the boat, Alex went straight into the sales routine, explaining the features and performance.

Ten minutes later they were exploring the boat, Steve noted that the protective plastic had been removed from the furnishings and fittings, the refridgerator was on and stocked, the beds made, there was linen in the bath room and a complimentary fruit basket. Steve smiled and thought they went all out for repeat business.

The next step was running the boat, Alex went over the engines and twin bilge pumps, the safety interlocks built in to the controls that wouldn’t let you start the engines till the ventilation fans had run for two minutes.

The bridge electronics was next these were a simplified versions of the aircraft navigation systems, Steve would have little trouble with it.

Then there was a safety brief concerning life jackets, EPIRBs, flares and the inflatable life raft hidden away at the back of the boat.

Finally Alex had Steve take the Corsair out for a run. Alex complimented Steve on his light touch when they practiced berthing and departing slips and docks.

They spent an hour out on the water, with Steve doing all the maneuvering, he was quite tired when he arrived back at the marina.

Dale greated Steve and introduced himself to Alex, “How did the captain do?” He asked.

“Excellent, he’s an accomplished sailor.” Alex said.

“So I won’t drown then?” Dale enquired.

Alex smiled, “I shouldn’t think so, but you shoukd keep a life jacket handy, just in case.” Alex said.

Alex had made Steve dock at the refueling berth and while they were talking an attendant had refueled the boat.

Steve offered to pay but Alex waved him off, “Think of us when you want to sell or buy another boat.” He said.

Steve asked if they could leave the boat here for about an hour they had to pickup someone.

Alex said, “Sure anytime just let the attendant know and give him the keys in case he has to move it.

Steve gave the Corsairs keys to Alex and thanked him.

As Dale drove the wrangler to pickup the girls Steve asked, “What happened to the Maria?”

Dale said, “the coronor took the bodies and the Navy sent a crew to move it to a secure berth, it should be at the Jacksonville Naval Base by now.”

Steve, “So what’s happening this afternoon?”

Dale smiled and said, “Hopefully we get to spend an uninterupted afternoon with Becky and Sandra!”

Steve knew Dale was being obtuse, “Whats going to happen to the investegation.” He asked.

Dale concerntrated on driving, “Forensics are going over the Maria, they found five bodies, yet to be identified and are headed to autopsy.” He said.

“Carl mentioned that José was at the boat nearly every day, but it had only been to sea twice, I wonder where else he went during the day?” Steve ruminated.

As Dale drove he was thoughtfull about Steves comment, ‘where else he went’, he said aloud, “GPS.”

Steve asked what, “José drove a Mercedes nearly everywhere, it has GPS tracking. The car was heavily damaged in the explosion, we might find out where he went everyday.” Dale said.

He then said, “We’re nearly there, I asked around and the locals recommended a restaurant called ‘Safe Harbor Seafood Restaurant’ in Mayport for a long lunch. I made a reservation for one, you can tie up at their pier.”

Steve said, “Sounds good,” as they pulled up outside an appartment block.

The girls must have seen them comming as they came out as soon as they pulled up. Both carried a bag with a towel visible on top.

Both got out of the Wrangler to greet the two girl. Dale got a nice kiss from Becky, when Sandra saw that she laid one on Steve. Steve took the girls bags and put them in the back.

Both men had big smiles, Dale passed the wranglers keys to Steve and said, “Becky and I are in the back.”

Sandra rolled her eyes as Dale helped Becky in to the car. Steve held the door for Sandra.

Once they were settled in the car, “So where’s your boat?” Sandra asked.

Steve smiled, “Its at the marina, not to far from here.”

Sandra proceeded to quiz Steve, when she asked Becky a question and didn’t get a reply, she turned and looked in the rear. Becky and Dale were totally engrossed with each other.

Steve had used the rear vision mirror to catch a glance at Becky and Dale, Sandra quietly said, “I don’t think they even know we’re here,” shaking her head she said, “It took Becky two hours to dress casually, I swear she changed ten times before she put her first choice back on.”

When they reached the marina Steve parked, he put his hand on Sandra’s arm to stop her getting out, motioning with his head towards the back seat.

Becky and Dale were locked in a passionate embrace, they waited five minutes for them to finish, when they kept going Sandra got out and slammed the door bringing the young couple out of their embrace.

Steve got out and retrieved the girls bags while Becky and Dale extracted themselves from the back seat of the Wrangler.

Steve led them through the marina and was about to be intercepted by Alex. Before Alex could say anything Steve said to Dale, “Take the girls down to the boat, I’ll get the key.”

As the three continued on Steve asked Alex, “How’s Carl doing?”

Alex, “he was shaken up I sent him home, he’s led a sheltered life, I don’t think that he’s ever seen a dead body let alone smelt one that had been dead for three days.”

Steve, “And you have.”

Alex smile dimmed a little rememberinv lost friends sadly, “I’ve been around the block a few times and had my card punched a couple of times,” he said.

Steve looked at Alex, he was about mid fortys and had the look, Steve asked, “I’d say jar head,” and held out his hand.

Alex, “Ooh rah and you?”

Steve said, “Army, played in the sand, had a european vacation, amongst other places I’d rather not talk about.”

Alex knew what Steve ment, he’d served in the middle east, probably given Steves age Iraq, Afganistan, Kuwait. Yes Steve had that look it was in his eyes he had seen thing and done thing that would be his deamons for the rest of his life.

“Sound like we may have share some of the same realestate,” said Alex.

Steve nodded, “If you think of anything about José’s behaviour can you let me know, its important,” he said.

“I’ll talk to the rest of the guys here, the crew of the Maria were allways polite, but there was something about them. The FBI are still here talking to the staff,” Alex said.

Alex handed Steve the boats keys and said, “Steve don’t get splattered by this shit, I heard the feds talking, it was a hit two holes in each head.”

Alex gave Steve his business card, “Take it, if you run into trouble don’t hesitate to call,” with a smile he continued, “I might even remember some of my training,” he said.

Steve smile and thanked Alex, he knew it was no good saying don’t bother or it will be alright, Alex saw a brother in need and extended an offer of help regardless of the consequences. Steve thought just like I would.

He caught up with the trio sitting on the boat, the attendant was keeping an eye on them.

Steve joined them onboard and started the boat, allowing it to idle. He made sure everyone had a seat and had the attendant cast them off.

Dale coiled the ropes as the attendant pushed the Corsair away from the dock with his foot.

Dale and Becky were seated behind Steve and Sandra, as they motored along. Steve inputed the Mayport into the navigation system and followed the course it automatically plotted.

Sandra asked where they were going, “Dale got a recommendation, the Safe Haven in Mayport,” Steve said.

“Goody, thats our favorite, we haven’t been for a while though. How long till we get there,” replied Sandra.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.