A Christmas Storm - Cover

A Christmas Storm

Copyright© 2017 by radio_guy

Chapter 5: Taking the Test and a Little Tension

She did go out for a couple of hours after lunch. At four fifteen, I went into my room and put on slacks and a nicer shirt. I also grabbed my name badge and pinned it on. I left my room just a few minutes before four thirty and sat in the living room with my kindle beside me.

She came out of her bedroom, down the hall, and into the living room. I had to catch my breath. She had never dressed like this for work! She was wearing a medium green mini-dress that showed some cleavage and lots of leg. She had a small purse just large enough to carry a wallet and phone. She looked at me and smiled impishly. “Do I look okay?”

I slowly recovered. I spoke very slowly. “No-o, you are much more than okay. Much.”

Her smile became broader. “I don’t think anyone will buy into your foot feet tall with glasses and buck teeth description as this outfit makes the rounds. What are the odds that someone from the Geritol net will be there or knows someone who is there?”

“Pretty high. You will get everyone’s attention tonight.”

“Todd, I really want to get your attention.”

“You have it, undivided.” My statement was heartfelt. She was beautiful, and hot.

I smiled at her. I had stood when she entered the room. “Gail, all you will need is fifteen dollars and your driver’s license. I will need a club.”

She giggled. I helped her with her coat. “Just a moment.” I ran into my bedroom and returned pulling on a blazer. I had even thought about a tie! I offered my arm and we went out to the garage. I touched the opener and assisted her into the passenger’s seat of my car. I walked around to the driver’s seat, got in, and started the motor. I drove us into Gwinnett County and pulled in at a nicer restaurant than I had first planned.

I even helped her out of the car though she was clearly physically able. We went inside the restaurant and were noticed. It was early but patrons and wait staff noticed her.

We were seated and each of us had a glass of wine. I raised my glass toward her and said, “To success.”

She clinked glasses with me smiling. “I think I will be successful.” I received that impish smile again. I had to admit to myself that I liked that smile. We sipped our wine and perused the menu. When the waiter came, she chose her food and then I did. We both ordered a cup of soup as an appetizer though French onion is known everywhere. The soup arrived and was excellent. We talked about the testing and her studying while we ate.

“Todd, studying for this test is the first time I’ve felt that I used my engineering knowledge for anything. I really appreciate getting to know you and being exposed to radio. A new world is open to me. I want to explore it and want you to be my mentor.”

I smiled. “It’s been a good ride thus far. I see no reason to change.”

Our meal was leisurely but we finished in plenty of time to reach the testing site about ten minutes early. I parked the car and opened the door for her again. We walked up to the building with her giving my hand a gentle, friendly squeeze.

We went in the door and everyone was speechless! A young, hot looking woman just doesn’t enter a ham radio meeting. There was an older man close to the door behind a table. Gail said, “I’m here for my Tech and General tests, would you direct me please?”

He was startled at least. “Yes, ma’am!” He smiled. “Are you with Todd?”

“Yes, he’s my ‘very good’ friend.” She grinned at him and he grinned back. He gave her the form to fill out and she took a seat to fill out the form.

I stayed in back. A friend said, “Todd, is she with you?”

“Yes, she’s an engineer and has been studying diligently for her test.”

“She doesn’t look like the ‘Gail’ you described to the Treasure Coasters”

“Jack, I didn’t know you listened to the Treasure Coasters.”

“Frequently. She has a lovely voice. Her description was more accurate.”

“I agree. She lost her job as I did when our company closed their location here. She was going to need a place to stay and moved into one of my spare bedrooms. She does clean up well.”

‘You mean she lives with you and you hadn’t noticed how good she looks?”

“Not really. We haven’t dressed to impress lately and she never did at work other than neatly. I do appreciate her sharp mind and wit. We’d become friends at work and get along better now. The more I get to know her, the better I like her. She’s a great cook.”

“Todd, she can cook for me any time.” I smiled.

From up front, I heard, “Todd, why aren’t you helping tonight?”

“I have someone taking the test and shouldn’t sign off on the process.”

“Okay, we have enough anyway. I was just curious.”

Gail said, “He’s been ‘helping’ me study.” Everyone laughed. Moments later, the testing started. There were eight taking tests, five for the Tech. Gail zoomed through the Tech test and handed it in. It was quickly graded and she had a perfect score. She asked for a General test which she was given. She started on it. The other four finished their tests and all but one passed. He was allowed to try again since he had only missed one too many.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.