Prison
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2016 by MichaelT65

As I was approaching the school track, I could see in the distance a group of boys preparing themselves for the trials. I found an empty bench, put my sports bag on it, and began to take off my tracksuit top. Moving away from the others to avoid being in the way, I started doing some stretching and Tai Chi breathing exercises to prepare myself mentally.

I had turned away from the others to be absorbed in my breathing, when I heard a familiar voice say, “Look who it is If it isn’t the good Samaritan. There won’t be anyone to save you after I finish with you on the track today.”

I turned gave him a sneer then turned back to my Tai Chi.

“Don’t turn your back to me punk!” he irritably shouted.

“Leave it out, Tony,” another voice yelled.

When I turned around, I noticed it was one of his friends.

“Pete! You’re taking his side?” Tony exclaimed.

There was a loud whistle which got everyone’s attention. When I looked, I saw the resemblance straight away. It was Tony’s dad. He picked up his glasses that were hanging on his chest, put them on, looked at his clipboard, and started asking everyone’s name, writing them down.

When he finished, he looked at us and said “Gentlemen, there is eighteen of you, our track has eight lanes, there will be two heats. That means I only need sixteen today for the trials.”

He then randomly picked two boys pointing at them with his finger said, “Next year lads.”

They put their heads down, picked up their bags and started making their way back to the school.

I immediately thought, “Who does something like that without giving them a chance?”

The races that I wanted to compete in were the 100m, 200m, 400m and 800m. In total, there were eight races. I still had to race in all of them, but I was going to use most of my drive in the ones I knew I made good times. For me, it wasn’t about winning the race. It was about how long I could last in the field proving my efficiency during that limited amount of time.

The first race was the 110m hurdles. I was in the second heat, so I just sat back to watched as the other racers were ready to start. Tony was in that race; it was a chance to see his capabilities. He won that race with no difficulties. It was the second heat. We all lined up to start; the coach raised the starting pistol. “On your marks, get set, go!” Bang! As I went past the finish line, I noticed there were only two other racers behind me. I finished sixth; that did not even qualify me for the finals.

I was walking back to my bench to have a little rest before my next race. I was sitting there just gazing into space when I saw the coach walking towards me. He stopped, stood right in front of me.

“I hope sending those boys away wasn’t a wrong choice,” he mocked.

Standing behind him was Tony chuckling. At that moment, I looked up at the stands and saw Emma with a couple of her friends. When she noticed me, she smiled and waved. That was enough to raise my morale.

The next race was the 800m; I was in the first heat. Running in this race was Tony as well. I was in the inside lane which I preferred; that way I can see the other runners’ abilities on the first lap. Tony was in the outer lane. Coach raised his starting pistol and started the race. We were all going at a good pace on the first lap, I was gaining ground on the other racers, as I came around the bend on the second lap, I took my pace to the next level. The other runners just disappeared as I passed them. On the last stretch, Tony and I were neck and neck. He saw me; I noticed he tried to push himself. He was no match. We finished the race; I was at least two meters in front.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.