Techno Cultivator - Cover

Techno Cultivator

Copyright© 2016 by Noddy

Chapter 6: Harvy and the Demon Spawn

Harvy Gau was a minor disciple of the Clan. Being 3 times removed from the head family’s bloodline he was treated like dirt. Resources that others were given he’d have to work twice as hard to earn.

He looked young. Perhaps just escaping puberty and considered a man at 18 or 19. However having trained spirit energy to the edge of the Spirit Barrier he naturally aged slower. In truth, he was nearly the same age as James. Interestingly enough, should he ever break through the Spirit Barrier, his ageing speed would halve again. Meaning by the time he looked twenty he’d be well into his late thirties.

Harvy wasn’t his real name, but a name he acquired in a life threatening, spirit trying experience. It was a nickname given to him by the incarnation of the devil and had since stuck to him like shit to a blanket.

This devil incarnate was indeed deceptive. He disguised himself as a mortal old man and pulled some other demonic creatures hidden inside mortals with him through a Gateway to Ascension Star. 4 days ago when he first appeared he remained incognito and had one of his demon spawn draw attention from him when they were first discovered.

Being the lowest disciple present at the time, Harvy was the one tasked with bringing this harmless old man back to the clan. Little did he know, that this old man’s body sired the soul of all evil and his mouth spewed the most putrid of lies and evil incantations.

At first when he picked him up he ignored the old man’s curses, thinking they were just harmless angry words. It wasn’t until the devil began to curse his mother and his father and every generation of his family yet to be born and then every pet he’s ever owned that Harvy grew fearful.

As if some malignant tumour, the more he tried to block it out the louder it grew. When he thought he could take solace in his mind becoming numb, the cursing changed, as if conjuring all the despicable and foul energy of the world, his head once more began to fill with the Devil’s curses, like some sickening natural law descending on him.

The longer they travelled, the worse it grew. His blood surged, and the spirit energy in his body expanded and contracted in rhythm to the Devil’s continuous chanting.

Throughout this whole experience, the fiend began to name him Harvy and so the other disciples, laughing at his plight, also began to call him as such. This short trip was so psychologically traumatic that he spat curdled blood from his lungs every time the grotesquery on his shoulder reached a crescendo in his vile ranting.

For two days his spirit pressure was dilapidated and dried out until the third day when he discovered it rising rapidly far beyond its past boundary until finally pushing against the Spirit Barrier only a single step from breaking through to the realm of a True Spirit cultivator.

Ever since however, he was convinced the old man and his two compatriots were from a universe in which heaven and hell are switched and darkness reigns supreme. As such he made an effort to avoid all three of them.

Today he was in the Endless Forest to gather some spirit materials and to test a Gau Compass that he’d just finished manufacturing. As a disciple of the Gau Clan and furthermore a disciple of the Hall of Forging he was trained since the conception of his spirit energy in the art of forging spirit artefacts and weapons.

As a minor disciple, he was given few resources to increase his spirit energy or practice his forging. Unlike sons and daughters of the head family, he had to gather his own. To make matters more difficult for young Cultivators like himself, a third of everything he collected or found in the Endless Forest had to be handed over to the clan.

For the first time in his life, he’d finally pulled a massive haul in the forest. Having found a Black-Iron vein deep in the forest, he knew he’d struck it rich. If he could keep it to himself, he’d be able to trade its location in the Endless Forest with the family and gain a better reputation and standing.

He’d for once be treated equally and be given resources instead of having them taken. That was the dream in his head at least.

While following his compass back out of the forest, he heard a loud foreign chant in the middle of his distracted walking.

Spinning toward the origin of the unfamiliar sound, with a deer in the head lights look on his face, he saw the young male demon spawn approaching him with a happy expression, which to Harvy looked truly sinister even though to James it was his most pleasant and friendly smile.

Harvy was petrified. His body froze and knees shook. James was but a mortal and Harvy should be able to punch him to death with a single swing of his fist, but...

‘Demon! Great Heavens, they’ve come into the forest to wrest away my soul with their devilish curses and drain my corpse of blood. How did they find me?’

He was too afraid to think that rationally. All he knew, was last time he encountered one of these Steppers, his mind was nearly forced from his body by his own inner demons after being fed by the devil himself, and at the end of the ordeal, he lacked a prodigious amount of blood. Their chanted curses were like some vicious spirit attack on the soul.

‘My knees, my legs. Why can’t I move? Was that single demonic chant enough to freeze my entire body? Oh Heavens, I’m shaking like a leaf. No! He’s started some sickening demon incantation again. I have to do something! Anything!’

“Hey, I’m a bit lost in this forest do you...”

“Gree-Greetings D-D-Dark Liege! I-I-I ... Please, I beg your forgiveness. Don’t take my soul! Please just-just let me l-leave. I-I’ll pretend I know nothing of your hellish origins and never speak a word of it to anyone. I beg of you!”

With a final cry, he dropped to his knees and kowtowed, smashing his forehead into the cobblestone path. Blood rushed down his forehead as he kept it pressed to the forest trail and prayed in his heart that the spawn of the devil would release him.

James showed a baffled expression and then his stoic face came to the fore. From this whole spectacle, he realised two things. ‘Wow. This guy is more fucked in the head than that depraved old man Skay.’ he began to ponder to himself with his dead, expressionless eyes staring at Harvy.

Harvy took a peek towards James and could see only those demonic eyes lifelessly staring back. To him, they seemed to steal all the colour from the world, and what had been a beautiful forest with light filtering through the leaf canopy, and wonderful smelling flowers with frequent chirping birds, all suddenly darkened dramatically.

In Harvy’s perception, the smell of the flowers turned from fresh and sweet to rotten and decaying. The sunbeams peeking through the canopy slowly decreased to the width of needle points until they completely broke apart like a snapped string. The once straight, tall and rich brown tree trunks became gnarled and deformed, looking as if afflicted with some sickness.

To James, however, everything remained just dandy, and no great changes happened. Although he did notice the disciple in front of him growing visibly paler and his shaking even harder. Nevertheless, at the moment he didn’t care what this nut-job was doing because he’d just discovered something even more important.

‘Interesting. So, I’ve left the influence of the Monolith. It must be due to the forest. To meet a Gau Clan disciple here though, that must mean he has a way back. I doubt he’d enter here not knowing a way out.’

James clasped his hands behind his back and looked up at the leafy canopy above mumbling to himself.

“When he spoke just now, I understood him. But he definitely wasn’t speaking English, or any language I’d ever heard before. That must be the common language.”

James’ brow furrowed slightly when he considered just how much power a Monolith had. To be capable of implanting a second language. It was utterly perverse.

Poor Harvy, hearing James begin muttering in a strange language, felt his heart tighten and try to push its way out his throat. Darkness enveloped everything as he felt his consciousness begin to fade until a light face slapping awoke him again.

James had by now remembered who this man was. He’d seen him carrying Dr Skay back on the first day they came here and also by now figured out a little bit of what was going on in the man’s head. This fellow apparently thought he was a demon sent from hell. He wasn’t sure where this disciple got such a notion, but he a had a suspicion when he remembered Harvy’s pale face and bloodied robe as he ran at his fastest speed through the grain fields.

‘Old Skay you crazy bastard. Just what did you do to this poor sap?’

Then James had an atrocious idea. Perhaps it could even be described as malicious or cruel. His face slowly developed a wicked grin, which was the first thing Harvy saw when James crouched down to slap him awake from his daze. Trying out the common language for the first time without the assistance of the Monolith he spoke slowly.

“What is it? Your Name?”

Harvy was so tensed up right now every muscle in his body was frozen like stone. As a born and bred resident of Ascension Star, Harvy had never heard or used any other language than common. So when he heard James trying to use it for the first time, it came out distorted and rough. To Harvy it sounded as if a voice was reaching out from the abyss.

He then suddenly remembered a story of a creature of darkness called a Holtzier. It was an evil creature found in only the darkest and most violent places in the world. They were like undead ghouls with black talons for hands and feet. Although they had the body and face of a human, their teeth were as sharp as swords. Because they were a creature that was raised from the corpse of a cultivator that died a horrible death their voice sounded like the grating of iron chains.

The most vicious part is when they trick you into giving them your name. “Never reveal your real name to the creatures of the darkness, for should they hear it from your lips, it will become the chains that shackle your soul. You will forever be bound to those horrible creatures and your soul slowly fed upon, until nothing remains. Your chance to pass into reincarnation will be stolen, and your empty husk of a body will stay here on this mortal plane, cursed for eternity!” Or so the story went.

Having this story flash past his mind, he hesitated a moment. “Harvy! Dark Liege my name is Harvy!” He finally spewed.

James grin grew wider, and he pulled Harvy to his feet and started to dust him off. “Harvy, I came to the forest with someone else, and we got separated. I want you to help me find her and then take us out from the forest.”

“Yes yes! I can help you find this person and leave the forest. No! I mean ... Please, allow me to assist you.”

Harvy loosened up significantly after hearing the Dark Spawns request. After all, it meant he would be keeping his soul. His eyes flickered with a crafty light for a moment. ‘All I have to do now is wait for a chance to slip away and escape the forest.’

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.