The Samaritan - Cover

The Samaritan

Copyright© 2016 by Lapi

Chapter 2

I wondered why the first thing in my mind, when I saw him was that I was in trouble. The smile on his face, phony or not when he extended his hand sort of put that initial reaction to rest, almost.

The first concern I had was ‘censure’ that I was practicing medicine without the proper State medical license. As it, turns out that dilemma would be easier to deal with than what he actually suggested.

He offered me a job. The hospital had a fancy new expansion but not enough Medicos, “the location” he said. Imagine that, maybe that’s why there were too many lawyers. He laughed at the incredulous look on my face. I almost said something, almost until I spotted Julie and Jen walking towards me followed by a nurse or orderly maybe pushing Jamie in a wheelchair. It gave me the perfect excuse to counter what he said.

“I am flattered; things are in a state of flux for me. I need to take some folks back home now but if I may call you and discuss that possibility soon, I promise not to leave until we have spoken.”

We exchanged cards and he tapped me on the shoulder saying. “I look forward to that discussion, soon perhaps.”

I turned to the girls and walked towards them.

“How’s the patient?”

That got me some strange looks. I remembered I never told any of them that I was a doctor. Oh well!

“The patient will live doctor. She got here just in-time.”

It was a nurse pushing her. More confused looks from the girls.

“I’ll bring the car around to the entrance, we need to fill some script for Jamie at the pharmacy then I’ll take you all home.”

That thought was bittersweet, at best. I found that leaving them was something that I did not want to do.

We got the pills, dropped off Jenny and Jamie at home then went back to the store to leave Julie off, get more gas, all of two gallons and their last can of soda, everything else cold was in bottles. When I tried to pay that got me a wave-off and Julie started crying. It was a mirror image of the thing that happened back at Jen’s. No time wasted in my departure. I got the feeling they were a might upset at my leaving. If I had to admit it, so was I; after some pause; I headed back to the hospital and went to the administration offices.

Dr. H R Browder’s name was on the door; I went inside. He saw me as soon as he was off the phone. He held his paw out again and we shook.

Dr. Browder, I appreciate the offer but I need some time to consider it. I was on my way back to Richmond to settle some business there. I am licensed in Virginia, Maryland an in D.C. only so I don’t know what is entailed for her, that and insurance availability and cost.”

“That is always a concern. I was on the phone checking on what we could do for you. As long as you only practice in the hospital, you would be qualified to use our group coverage. It is about half what a private practice would pay. The board indicated that as long as there was no action against you before, adding our State would be expedited and no problem. We would also provide you a stipend for housing of if you are single we have some very nice subsidized rental apartments you would be eligible for. Let me know what else we can offer, I need good staff and am willing to pay for it.”

We shook hands again and I decided to drive back that same day. I wish that decision was clear-cut, but wishes are not high on my list.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.