Good Things Do Not Last - Cover

Good Things Do Not Last

Copyright© 2016 by Lapi

Chapter 1

“Molly, you don’t have to leave. We will hire someone until you get back, I will slow down, travel without you for a bit, anything to make it easier. What do you say?”

“It’s your own fault. I was perfectly content with our arrangement until Bob swept me off my feet. Actually putting this ‘Bun in the Oven’ did that too. It is your own fault, it was your party that did it, and now all I can think about is that wonderful man and raising a family. We are getting married next Friday you know and staying in New Jersey. So Mr. ‘soon to be my former Boss’ you coming to the wedding?”

“Molly, don’t do this to me, millions of women have babies and go right back to work, you can too, Bob won’t mind; besides, I need you.”

“Ha, I’ll bet you said that same thing to the last girl before me. If you are nice, I mean really nice I will find my replacement, or should I say, ‘try to find my replacement’. Bob say’s I’m unique and to tell you it’s your entire fault for having the party.”

“Right, my fault you’re having a baby. I don’t even remember having any fun either.”

“Yep, your entire fault. Do not worry I already called several agencies to start a search. Unless you have changed, I think the qualifications you have are the same, let me guess: Cute, young, trust worthy, willing to travel, work all day and some nights too and loyal to a fault. When I called one place they thought I called in error, it sounded like I wanted a dog. You know with those attributes you are going to have trouble keeping her around too, especially if you keep having those parties.”

“If I double what I pay you, is staying on an option Molly?”

“If I was 18, barefoot and pregnant, I’d swoon at your feet. As if we would need the money, Bob already told me you would try that line. Give it up old man, if we both did not love you so much I’d just quit.”

As if what she was saying was something I could refute. Bob Randolph the man she was to marry ran my businesses in America. He was good and knew it, as did I.

“OK, triple the salary, this penthouse and a new car, what do you say?”

“Told me that too. Your friends know you too well I am afraid. You have no idea how difficult this job is. You might as well get yourself a wife or mistress or several to do it for all the time and effort they will need to put into this.”

“If, and I say ‘if’ I do find you someone, you better be nice to her, real nice. It was a bit of a challenge not to fall for you. Maybe you should add a little romance to this assignment and marry them instead of having to attend their weddings.”

“Molly, if I marry you instead of Bob, will you stay?”

“Nice last try, Bob told me you’d say that too. You friends know you too well and you are predictable. That offer is a bit too late though.”

“Molly, you hurt me to the quick!”

“Nice line Shakespeare, but ‘alas, poor Boss Man’ it isn’t going to work. Try it on the new girl.”

Pause.

“Here is my checklist.

First, we need to find someone just for London or wherever you would want the main office to be now.

Travel every three or four months to Tokyo, Bonn, Paris, Moscow, Hong Kong and Rome, back to London then a week or two off from travel.

Language skills should include English, French, German, Russian, Italian and Spanish; Kanji and Mandarin would not hurt either.

In her spare time look new offices in Madrid, Rio and Buenos Aires.

“About right?”

“Well, maybe a few other places, nothing for certain yet.”

“For this undying devotion, sacrificing some of the best years of her life, working her body to the bone and having to put up with you, you’ll do what for her?”

“For her? What about me? I will not keep going through this shit Molly, only to have them leave me. Whoever we get, I want her to be with me for at least ten, no twenty years, and then she can quit, but not before then.”

“Ahh. Oh, Master? You moving to Morocco or the Middle East soon? Because I think having a ‘slave’ is frowned upon in most other places. I have to tell you too that I love you but you are not the easiest person to work for!”

“Oh, so now I get the ‘woman scorned act’ from you?”

“Listen ‘buddy boy’, when I was a ‘sweet young thing’ that did not know any better, you could have ask me to follow you around like a puppy dog. Now, it is too late. You have shown me there is such a thing as a life; you might try it yourself with the next girl or two.”

“You make it sound that I run some kind of ‘sweat shop’? What, I don’t pay enough?”

“Money has never been the issue. Frankly, you pay too much for anyone to leave. Nevertheless, you think money is going to make her care for you, look out for you, and even love you? It is not though!”

Here begins Molly crying.

She keeps crying, man, pregnant women sure do cry easily.

“Go, just go. Do whatever you do. I will at least hire someone for the London office. I will try to find you another ‘Girl Friday’ according to your ‘specified qualifications’. Like it’s so easy, so don’t hold your breathe. Hah!”

So it went. All the other offices had been using a ‘rent a suite’ type facility. Local phone number, live answer and an email message sent to Molly. Occasionally, a phone call was forwarded. Now things were changing. I was growing some, not just in weight mind you, in business too. Molly was correct in her assessment that we need another person, maybe more, for sure if I had told her everything that was about to happen. Now I was losing her and would have my problems compounded even more. That thought about how things were changing shot to the front. Molly did not know what the changes were coming up. If things were as simple now that adding one person could solve things, it would have been easy. After the meetings yesterday things were going to change a lot. He would have to rethink what would be necessary.

Today Molly just arranged for any small deal herself, the larger ones were sent by her to my email and/or a sat phone call made. Things were changing now. I really did not want to lose her. She was correct though; there just was no chemistry between us. The closest I could call her was a friend, good friend, maybe my best friend.

I left her alone and flew back to my home in the Med. It was a long trip and provided me time to think. It was not just Molly leaving me; it also was what I knew was happening to my little operation. It was very soon to become a rather substantial sized organis/zation and I had never considered what might happen if I or any of my key people were gone. Up until now, Molly was the only important person to leave. ‘What if it were more?’ I thought to myself.

It was a lovely spring day when I returned to my villa. The sky was blue, soft looking clouds billowed by and the scent of fresh growth was in the air. From time to time, a splash could be heard coming from outside. The only constant sound that could be heard was that of the wind coming from the West or from the mountains through the valley.

I crashed but could not get that thought of what was to happen out of my mind. There was so much to do yet one may have difficulty even selecting the first project. Idyllic might best describe my home. The easy way to solve that dilemma was to quit doing what I was doing. I had grown tired of this existence anyhow. I turned on the machine and would glance repeatedly at the screen, looking for somewhere I knew deep inside did not exist.

The first up was in the American West. Off some distance, you could see Pikes Peak. It looked so close that you could touch it, yet I knew it was miles away from where the camera was, things just appeared nearer than they really were. This was a trip of exploration for me. My recent acquisition still being processed by the State of Colorado. I was lucky, Mal was not though and now some 1.7 million acres he formerly had were mine. I did not feel sorry for him though, this was just the tip of the iceberg of what land he owned there.

Getting even this far was a challenge. Yes, the air this high was thin; trees, brush and scrub showed that such a thing as a trail had never been a thought. A 4-WD only got me past the foothills. The horse got me a bit further up, like right to this spot. They had told me to take a mule. Next time perhaps I would listen to that advice.

Even this high the view towards the valley was magnificent. Nature unspoiled, un-tamed and victor of any challenges man had cast at it. I had come across some sort of town. If two or three buildings, 100 foot of crinkled wood sidewalk and what looked like a boarded up mine entrance qualified as a town? Horses, yep saw them from time to time, mustangs roaming through the hills and slopes just as they had hundreds of years ago.

I waved the fingers in a curved and upright direction. The image was gone. ‘Nice but no cigar’ I thought to myself. ‘If I had wanted to be a hermit or a recluse that vision might have been fine’. However, that was not entirely my wish.

I ran many more videos that day, but none a second time. They seemed to all lack the escape I was looking for. When the last was shown, I pulled open the drapes to the terrace. The view from the terrace matched that of the last video. I sat down, tears moistening my eyes and continued to look out towards the sea.

I had been here a very long time and things seemed to have reached the point that I thought it time to change. Life here was as close to normal one as possible. The place was secure. The entire village supported and kept outsiders away. I in-turn made certain that each family was taken care of, very well taken care of.

I remembered why I had chosen this place for my home. I considered the old saying; ‘If you can’t beat them, join them!’ Even though, I knew I needed at least two or three other facilities both for my people as well as staging equipment I decided to just do what had to be done, full speed ahead and all that rot.

At that realis/zation, a phone call ensued.

On a phone call:

“Lady Grey, I find myself in need of a companion, no, perhaps I should say an assistant. For the foreseeable future I am not certain where, when or what she must do but I often do need the help.”

“Mister Black we are not some employee agency. Our young ladies enhance whatever you want and otherwise provide our clients the companionship they desire. Our fees are substantial and I am not certain you could afford them nor that you are calling the correct place for our services.”

“I see! Well, can you provide me such a person or not?”

A pause.

“You still did not answer me if you could provide me someone. She must be intelligent, witty, outgoing, and beautiful, plus know several languages, and always be an excellent companion.”

“Mr. Black, it would be easier if you started a harem for no one girl could be all that anytime and anywhere, we do have moods you see.”

“Fine Lady Grey, then find me however many it requires. I have told you I do not know what I need or when, I just know your service comes highly recommended and I want the finest young ladies money can buy for anywhere, anytime and am willing to pay for it. In the end, it will be less costly than a wife or girlfriends for one and more acceptable to me for many other reasons. I will not have any emotional attachment to her though.”

Three weeks later, the first candidate confirmed the arrangements, and a car was sent to pick up the ‘companion’ candidate; this time in London. The best Molly could do before she left me was to turn the London office into another rent-a suite.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, or in this case my new HQ; It was an effort to remotely ready my once small group using my new centre. It was a small compound near London. It had been a secluded military base. When SAS and SBS merged into SIS my new client made it available as well as a few (Few Dozen) guards and dogs, good training they said. Personally, I think they hoped I would want to stay there so they might keep an eye on me. It was at London, where one of my bodyguards accompanied the driver and who knows how many Brits were trailing them. When the two men arrived at the aerodrome, there was a bit of confusion by what awaited.

She was six foot tall (182.88 cm) with long blonde hair wearing a dark blue suit and high heels making her look well over 200 cm. She looked more like an attorney than a companion. She also was a very healthy girl, as the reactions of those passing her could attest.

Gino exited the front car door and opening the back door, slightly bowed to the vision before him and motioned her into the car.

“I am Gino and your driver’s name is Peter. I will place your luggage in the boot (trunk). Do you have any more luggage we need to claim?”

“No, I am to interview and may not be staying long. Thank you though, although unusual, it is appreciated to be treated as a person and not some ‘plaything’.”

As he closed the door after her, he thought he should call the ‘Boss’. Nah! This was too good. Even he would be surprised.’ Gino did call back to the house to have a nice room prepared and added count for the meals. There was no way in Hell she was not staying.

The London facility had been selected as an interim HQ (Difficult to just rent a military base you know). It was more a compound of several houses and buildings located high on a plateau overlooking the ocean. By car, it was more than two hours from the city centre. There were two roads leading up, both well guarded and each required identification and access codes for entrance at the bottom. Deliveries were limited to a single firm who called ahead and were escorted in after a thorough search and scan of those entering. Even when Gino and Peter returned, all had to exit, and bags searched. Those needing to would be taken up to the guesthouse in a different car after more scrutiny checks. Was it overkill? Perhaps! There is an old saying, ‘Better safe than sorry’ though.

Entering the guesthouse the girl was met by Carla from the firm ‘Security Inc’. It was a firm created by Mr. Black to provide a higher-level background check before awarding direct access to more of the facility and was required ultimately for access to his main house in the Med.

Carla motioned the Amazon to sit down. “I want to welcome you to what, by many is called ‘Eden’. A misnomer for certain but those staying here call it that because almost anything you desire will be provided. Like the Eden in mythology, there are a few inviolate rules. Background investigations, reference checks and personal document verifications have already been done by your respective agencies, Miss White’s firm and the provider of your service here, before you were selected to even be considered.”

“What I do, if you continue, is to further enhance your level of access allowing you into additional areas, such as recreational and subsequently more strenuous security for entrance to work areas within the compound and Mr. Black’s house. You hopefully will pass muster and soon be allowed to remain with us or to go on and qualify for the assignment originally intended for you. That decision is made by others and is under the control of a different organiz/sations and not my responsibility.”

“I realize you have many questions, perhaps feel such an inquisition is beneath you or have never been told by any ‘client’ before that you need to ‘earn’ your position. Let me be frank with you. I do not care if you proceed or not. You may choose to return from where you came from or even go anywhere else. It would make my job much easier to do. Your fees for a month and any expenses to fly home will be paid for. All you need do is say so now.”

Now there was a young woman with an open an mouth staring at Carla.

“How could they even check anything on me, they don’t even know my real name?”

“Brie, is it? Have a look Hon” as she turned the computer monitor towards the girl.

“Jesus H Christ! How?”

“FM! All Magic little girl, they call it experience and professionalism. I have most of everything about you since you were five. Next will be the last three years since you went to work for Langley after college! Should you decide to stay, that will take me a few more days to verify.”

Brie sat back down, more like slumping into her chair. All the careful planning, documentation even her change in appearance was for naught.

At the end of 30 days, you either will go back, be offered a different position with Mr. Black or go on for further testing and security checks to become his Assistant. In any event you will be paid the agreed upon amount.”

“Should I just leave now?” asked Brie.

“Not at all unless you so desire to. We have a place for good spies and accurate intelligence, just not the ‘Dick Tracy’ (Comic Detective in the USA) things your ‘Company’ panders. Really girl, ours is a ‘professional’ organis/zation, your previous employers have already done much of the preliminary screening for us. I will tell you some general details of why you are here then if I can, will answer a few of your questions.”

“Okay, here is the ‘canned’ speech. You are here because someone thought you were attractive, intelligent, witty and capable of reacting in un-rehearsed situations. Furthermore, you have work for an Agency and in a country, which we do some business with.

“Now, let me come to the point. You will never be ‘forced’ to perform any illegal activity. You, however, may choose to do things that some may frown upon. What you do, see, hear, read or otherwise gain knowledge of remains a secret with you until your death, natural or otherwise. As I said, anything and most everything you desire will be provided for you. Many of the ‘clients’ we serve are governments, military or covert agencies of various countries. This is both good and bad. It means they need our services but they have the assets and resources to interfere with other clients’ use of our services.”

“Break time. Refresh, you will be taken to your room, rest, shower, change into comfortable clothes then you will join some of us for food and more information. Schnell!” Clara clapped her hands and attendants entered and stood behind Brie. The room she was taken to was neat, orderly and well appointed.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.