Shaman
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2016 by Zoras

Standing on the dock Wahleia waited quietly, while Moon and Shadow sat beside her, their attention focused on the shore. Linking to her spirit guide, Wahleia understood what held the attention of her companions as she could hear horses approaching, yet with the buildings between them she couldn’t see who was coming. She suspected it was Conni, Anni and Renn along with their guard/tutors, and their parents plus the parents’ guards. The royal children plus their guards were traveling with her south to attend her wedding, the rest of the family Wahleia knew were there to see them off. All of them knew there was a real possibility of the family never seeing each other again if the war went poorly for Greenwater. Standing there, she was afraid their departure wasn’t going to be an easy separation.

Being told they might be gone for a year or longer did not deter the girls or their brother, as the thought of seeing the world danced their heads. Even when their parents set the conditions for their behavior with Wahleia and their guards in charge until they were old enough to care for themselves. The three kids did not put together that they may be gone for more than four years as the two girls would only be twelve at the beginning of their journey, their brother only two years older than the twins. Their part in the discussion was limited to agreeing to the terms their parents put forth. Once the three of them had agreed and promised they were dismissed along with their guards with instructions to pack light and be ready to go to the ship after midnight and be aboard and ready to sail on the morning tide.

Still linked with Moon, Wahleia was amazed at the size of the King’s party at the end of the pier, considering the time, she was sure someone would notice. Standing away from the lights on the ship, she made no attempt to meet them. She preferred instead to wait for her companions and family to make their goodbyes and separate before they made their way aboard the ship. Only that was not the case as Wahleia could see a number of guards and porters following carrying a number of bags and a trunk for each of the family members who were traveling with her. The rest of the entourage remained on shore blocking off access to the pier from anyone trying to find out what was happening.

Watching her companions approach, Shadow let her know she was not alone on the dock as she could feel him growling low in his chest against her leg. Waiting to see how Shadow reacted without a command from her, she soon realized the person was the ship’s Captain from the sound his boots made as he walked on the pier. Resting her hand on Shadow’s head she praised the dire-wolf as he gave her warning even though he knew who was approaching. The Captain was well known to the wolves from the meetings with the King’s family.

When the growling grew louder as the captain approached, Wahleia stated, “Captain, I suggest you do not approach without letting me know who you are, as you can see my companions here do not handle being over large bodies of water very well. As agitated as they are, they may attack without warning before I can stop them so please do not approach me from behind without announcing yourself; I would add you should mention the same to the rest of the crew. Once we are out to sea they will not be an issue.”

Answering from his own shadow, the Captain offered, “It wasn’t my intention to startle you or your wolves, I was just coming down to wait for the rest of my passengers. I can hear their horses but cannot see them yet.”

“They will be here shortly. You are welcome to wait with me.”

Stepping beside Wahleia, Captain Oster offered, “That is the problem with wolves, in the wilds there are times when they cannot find game and they will be smaller because of it. When they are captured young and domesticated, they are fed regularly making it possible for them to grow to their full potential.” Extending his hand to allow them to smell him, he added, “I think Shadow here, once he is finished growing, could be the largest dire wolf I will ever see.”

Never taking her eyes off of the King and Queen, Wahleia added, “I agree he has not missed many meals with the twins around.”

“On this trip I do not think it will become an issue as we will only be at sea for two weeks if the winds remain favorable,” the Captain added.

Before they could continue their conversation, the King and Queen approached with the rest of the family trailing behind. Captain Oster bowed, offering, “King Nogar, all is in readiness, with your permission, we will finish loading and be ready to depart before the tide turns.”

“Captain, we will not delay your voyage any more than we need to, just to say goodbye to our kids.” Turning to Wahleia, the King offered, “I am unsure of allowing my younger children to accompany you on your journey but my wife says this is a good idea so I will defer to her judgment. As for your suggestion as to what to do with the captives, I have released the ones you suggested to accompany my riders and deliver my messages. Hopefully they will deliver those messages in time.”

Smiling, Wahleia stated, “I’m confident they will make it through. Seeing how you are holding the sons of chiefs, even if they are second and third sons, their honor will compel them. Who they bring with them and how many may be questionable but they will come.”

“I hope you are correct otherwise you may be caring for my children for many years to come,” the king responded. Turning to his children who were even then ready to board the ship, he added, “The three of you have promised to your mother and to me that you will behave. Remember you are representing Greenwater, as well as your mother and I at any court you attend, do not disappoint us.”

Finishing his speech to Wahleia’s companions, the King knelt down to give each of them a hug. Following her husband, the Queen Flavi stepped forward, addressing Wahleia, saying, “We have talked about a great many things these last days, I hope those things will never come to pass. If they do, then I am content in the knowledge they are in good company no matter where your travels take you.”

After she finished, the Queen pulled Wahleia into a hug lasting a few seconds. Releasing Wahleia, the queen knelt down the same as her husband and spoke a couple of words to each of her kids before sending them aboard ship. The King and Queen spoke to the guards who were to accompany them reminding them, to continue their lessons. Receiving assurances the lessons would continue the three guards were sent aboard leaving the Captain and Wahleia on the docks with several guards around them looking outwards.

Addressing Captain Oster, the King offered, “This voyage is now up to you. My son is carrying a letter for the Overlord, I am hoping he is still willing to assist us. Afterwards I hope your journey south is uneventful as my wife and I were both older than our three traveling with you to be having adventures such as this.”

“I will do my best to make their journey as uneventful as possible and that their weapons return with rust on them from having never been used,” Captain Oster stated.

Stepping forward to give the captain a hug, the Queen added as she stepped back, “That is all we can ask of anyone, though if they are anything like their parents, it will not be rust on their weapons though they will still be red. Travel on the tide my friend.” Turning to Wahleia, she added, “You go with our thanks and blessings. May you have a long life with your husband and with many children to sit around you listening to your tales of adventure, knowing you will always have a place here if you should ever return.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.