Living a CAP Based Present - Cover

Living a CAP Based Present

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 46: Captain to Captain

The system was in standby as I turned the chair back to the front. I reached down to call up a replay of the engine repair when I felt a hand grasp the back of my chair.

“Yes?” I asked.

“Is it always like that?” Captain Prescott asked.

“The simulations are supposed to be the absolute worst possible sequence,” I replied. “And the time is compressed a bit. I really doubt we could enter a system get into a fight, scan a planetoid as well as a Sa’arm controlled planet and escape in just under an hour.”

“It was less than an hour?” Kelsey asked.

I checked the record for the simulation. The total elapsed time was shown at forty-nine minutes and fifty-two seconds. “Yes, actually it was just under fifty minutes,” I said.

“That explains why the planet seemed too close to the planetoid. It had to be barely more distant than the moon is to our homeworld,” Terrence said. “I’m surprised it didn’t affect our maneuvering.”

“In a real situation it probably would have,” I replied. “However, this was a simulation designed to test everyone’s knowledge and current skill levels.”

“It was more intense than I expected,” Captain Prescott said. “And your people failed to keep everyone alive.”

“War is hell,” I said firmly. “My job is to guide the crew of Corsica and in doing so to bring as many of them home alive as possible, but things will happen. This time is was an improper repair that resulted in an explosion. In reality it probably would have cost us more men because an explosion would have hurt others in the same room.”

“For ease of simulation, that was not included,” the AI said.

“Why not?” Captain Prescott growled at the ceiling. “Training should be as realistic as possible.”

“Simulating injuries would not have be fair considering that only half of the engine crew was involved. In a combat situation if one engine’s crew is injured, the crew of the other engine can take over and maintain the systems,” the AI replied.

“Why do you care?” I asked Captain Prescott. “You insisted that you’d have your people properly trained through the sleep training and meetings.”

“Your people are mine too,” he said firmly.

“No,” I replied. “We had this argument two weeks ago. The two ships are considered individual commands and neither of us outranks the other.”

Captain Prescott snorted. “I refuse to believe that anyone would give independent command to some fifteen year old kid.”

“Fortunately, what you believe is not relevant. You have no command authority over Corsica or its crew,” I said.

Captain Prescott put a hand on the arm of my chair. “I could remove you from command.”

“Again you do not have that authority,” I said. “And what ground would you have? You stood there and watched the simulation. What would you have done differently?”

“I’d have had more people in the engine room,” Captain Prescott said firmly.

“Really? The ship only has two extra crewmen and both are alternate helmsmen since the helm has to be manned all the time while the other posts only require full manning during a battle. You’d have sent your alternate helmsmen into the engine room based on what?” I asked.

“It’s clear the room needed more people. You should have crosstrained them and had them available to assist in the repair!” Captain Prescott shouted.

“AI, how many of Ipanema’s crew could handle the repair from the last simulation?” I asked.

“None have shown the aptitude required,” the AI replied. “Currently there are ten crew who have some training on engine room functions, but the one who shown interest in working as the machinist has been primarily trained as a rail gun loader.”

“What?” Captain Prescott asked.

“Do you understand how the engine room crews work?” I asked. “You make a big deal about the hours of sleep training, but did you even take the overview for each area of the ship?”

“My job is to manage the people and make sure they are ready,” Captain Prescott growled. “I do not need to be lectured to by some teenage limp dick.”

“There are six pregnant women back at my home pod who’d be happy to tell you that I have just what they need between my legs,” I said haughtily. “But I’d argue that your job is more than simple management. Yes, the captain does have to manage his people, but he also needs to inspire and direct them. There isn’t a post on the ship that I haven’t taken at least the basic training. The only position I haven’t taken at least the first three courses has been communications.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.