The Voyage of the Hawk - Cover

The Voyage of the Hawk

Copyright© 2016 by The Blind Man

Chapter 23

The distance between the two groups of vessels dwindled quickly as the seconds and minutes slipped by. Once the Hawk and the two carracks had raised sails and cut their lines Pedro had turned his force to the southeast to confront the approaching pirate ships. Like an arrow shot by a bow the three vessels cut through the dark waters throwing up spume as they went; the crews of each vessel ready for action. As they sailed onward the San Fernando headed northward in the company of the two Spanish vessels that Pedro had liberated at Bona Vista. Their flight would be slow and laborious sailing into the wind as they were yet they did it anyway, hoping that Pedro's force would slow the pirates and more hopefully turn them back.

The pirate ships were smaller than the Hawk and they were smaller than the two large carracks that sailed with Pedro and the Hawk. They only had two masts to drive them forward. However with the wind against them their large triangular sails pushed them at an angle to Pedro's small force. They were however fast and agile vessels that were well suited for the coastal waters of Africa. From Pedro's spy-glass he could see that they were long and slender and that they carried a pair of masts in comparison to the three masts each of Pedro's ships were equipped with. Under normal circumstances those masts rigged with the large triangular sails favoured by the Moors would have been enough to propel the small force of vessels into range of Pedro's ships. Today with the wind against them the pirates were forced to supplement their efforts with oarsmen. Each craft had a single bank of oars and the combined effort of wind and the strength of men saw to it that the pirates closed with Pedro's vessels at a good rate. They had to tack back and forth against the wind to reach their target but it mattered not. Soon enough the two forces were within range. The Moorish vessels opened fire first.

The lead pirate ship opened fire with its bow chasers targeting the Hawk. Both shots fell short. The other four vessels in the small force of attacking pirate ships fired a few seconds later. Their shots fell short as well. None of Pedro's ships returned fire. Instead they simply kept their course and closed the distance between them and their oncoming opponents. The pirates fired again, one ship after another, but again all shots fell short, splashing harmlessly into the dark waters in front of Pedro's approaching force. The shots were closer but that was it. Then the lead vessel fired again and for once a shot struck home. The shot hit the stout bow of the Hawk and glanced off, falling into the sea. Splinters flew up but that was it. At that moment the battle began.

Henrique replied without waiting for Pedro's command. His bow chasers roared loudly and smoke filled the air. Both shots struck the lead vessel of the attacking pirate force. One ball slammed into the bow and tore through the ship's forward gunwale throwing up a shower of splinters and chunks of wood while the other ball passed through the foresail of the vessel and crashed into the deck. Seconds later the bow chasers of the Cadiz and the Madrid spoke as well. The result was impressive and immediately it became clear that their gunners were as well trained as those on the Hawk. Their shots struck home, hitting further back on their targets and striking more amidships than the cannonballs fired by the Hawk. A moment later all three ships opened fire again.

As their shots flew through the air Pedro ordered his helmsman to adjust their course so that they could slip by the lead pirate vessel. Obediently the sailor responded to Pedro's command and a moment later the Hawk was coming alongside the other craft in an attempt to sheer the other vessels oars. Even as that happened, the starboard guns of the Hawk began to speak.

The bow of the Hawk was like the blade of a knife. Driven by the strong north wind, the vessel struck the bank of oars before the captain of the pirate vessel could order the oars shipped. Instantly wood flew into the air and men cried out in shock and pain. Those sounds quickly vanished in the roar of cannon fire. One by one the cannons of the Hawk spoke as the two ships slipped by each other. The guns of the other vessel spoke as well. While the broadside from the Hawk tore into the side of the pirate vessel, ripping chunks out of the vessel's sides and smashing into the rowing stations of the craft, the enemy shots struck back in reply. The cannonballs from the pirate ship ripped through the starboard railing of the Hawk and they slammed into the gunwale of Pedro's ship. Splinters flew up from the damage wrought and a man or two cried out in pain but that was it. Then a second salvo from the Hawk tore into the pirate craft doing further damage. As the Hawk slipped by the aft quarter of the vessel shot pounded the hull of the pirate craft. The vessel shuddered under the force and boards heaved under the impact of the shot. Then before the pirates could react the special weapons came into play. One after another, two explosive orbs flew over the short distance that separated the two ships to land upon the other vessel's poop deck. Almost as one they both exploded, tearing up decking and killing any who were near when they went off. Fire and smoke rose from the stricken ship.

"Swing to the starboard," Pedro shouted to his helmsman as the Hawk swept by the first pirate vessel. His command was acknowledged a second later and the Hawk rolled slightly towards the port as the bow turned towards the next oncoming vessel and the crew of the Hawk prepared for further action.

The captain of that ship had seen what the Hawk had done to the first vessel in the pirate force and he wanted nothing of it. As the Hawk turned towards his ship the man ordered his oarsmen to ship oars. His quick action spared him losing oars that he might need later. However it did not save him from the Hawk's port guns.

Again the guns on the Hawk spat forth their balls of death as the vessel slipped by the pirate craft. This time the salvo tore both the upper deck of the enemy vessel as well as the waist of the ship. Wood flew, people cried out, and struck cannon went flying over the deck. In reply the pirates fired their surviving guns. Again the ball tore away railings on the main deck with some success. A man aboard the Hawk cried out in pain. Then the port guns of the Hawk struck again. More splinters were thrown in the air and the smaller pirate vessel shuddered under the abuse poured into it by the cannons of the Hawk.

The pirates didn't give up though. Even battered they tried to counterattack against the Hawk. The deck crew of the pirate vessel attempted to grapple Pedro's ship as it slide by their craft. Lines were thrown and grapples landed upon the deck of the Hawk but that was all that they achieved. Their attempt failed when the explosive orbs fired by the special weapons fell amongst the men handling the lines secured to the grapples. The resulting explosions tossed men into the sea and tore the ropes that the men had been holding from their hands.

At the same moment the starboard cannon of the Hawk fired again. Their fire was directed towards the pirate vessel that had been to the portside of the lead pirate ship. The range was greater than Pedro liked but the opportunity had been there and Pedro had left orders for the guns to take the chance if it came about. Only two balls out of the salve struck the vessel. Still both shots tore holes in the gunwale of the craft throwing deadly splinters into the crew hiding behind them. After that the Hawk was clear of the vessels and heading away from them at a rapid speed.


Bartholomew stood upon the poop deck of the Cadiz and watched as Pedro took the Hawk straight down the throat of the pirates. He witnessed the first strike of the Hawk's cannons and the sheering of the oars on the lead pirate craft. Then he turned his attention to what was happening about him.

The Cadiz had swung far to the port of the Hawk in an effort to sweep by the far side of the pirate formation. Surprisingly the pirates had allowed it. Instead of turning with the Cadiz the pirate ships had instead chosen to bombard the large carrack with their bow chasers as the craft cut across their bows at a distance. Only one shot impacted against the Cadiz and that shot had struck harmlessly into the aft-castle of the ship.

The fact was that both the Cadiz and the Madrid were at a disadvantage against the smaller craft that made up the pirate force. Unlike the Hawk both carracks mounted their cannon upon their main deck and not within a special built gun deck. With the carracks slightly higher in the water than the pirate ships the Cadiz and the Madrid needed range to bring their cannon effectively into play. It called for skill both in the handling of the vessel and her weapons to achieve any kind of success. Thankfully Bartholomew knew what he was doing. As the Cadiz started to pass by the outer vessel of the pirate fore, Bartholomew ordered his cannons to open fire. At the same moment the pirate craft did the same.

The first salvo of the Cadiz struck amidships on the pirate craft. Eight balls of stone dropped down on the vessel tearing holes into her main deck. The foremast on the ship was torn down by the shot. The mast collapsed across the deck adding to the chaos and confusion. The guns of the pirate vessel pounded at the Cadiz in reply. Their balls struck the hull of the carrack. Most hadn't the power at the range of the exchange to tear into the Cadiz's side. One did but that was it and the damage was well above the waterline. As for the explosive orbs, the range was too great to use the weapons effectively. The two orbs fired exploded harmlessly a good twenty feet from the enemy ship. Still the explosions caused the crew of the pirate vessel to pause and look when they went off.

"Strike the topsails," Bartholomew cried out to his deck crew as his gunners started to pound the other vessel. The striking of the sails would slacken their forward speed and allow the Cadiz to pound the other vessel more efficiently. He would still pass it by in a second or two but then he would come about and hopefully the Cadiz would be able to match speeds with the pirates. It was a risk but Bartholomew was willing to take it.


"Come about," Pedro ordered sharply once the Hawk was well clear of the action. "Turn to port and bring us back around. I want another shot at those bastards."

"Aye Captain," the helmsman cried back to him, immediately throwing the helm over so that the Hawk turned to the port. As the craft slowly came about Pedro pulled out his spy-glass and had a look at the action that was still happening behind him.

Pedro saw that Bartholomew and the Cadiz had made it past the attacking pirates without any difficultly and that the Cadiz had struck her topsails. He also noted that the Madrid had not been so lucky. The other carrack had become tied up with the pirates. The craft that it had tried to sweep by had turned with her and the crew of the pirate vessel had grappled the Madrid. At that moment the crew of the Madrid and the pirates were locked in a struggle to see who would overcome whom. Pedro hoped for the best. At the moment he could not go to the aid of the Madrid. He had his own targets to deal with.

The damage to the force of pirate ships was extensive at the very least. From the poop deck of the Hawk, Pedro took in each of the enemy vessels noting their condition. The worst hit was the lead pirate vessel. The Hawk had sheered her starboard side oars and it had pummelled the craft with cannon fire. Smoke rose from the deck of the ship and it appeared to be adrift at the moment. The second ship that the Hawk had hit was also heavily damaged. However it was still under sail and from the look of it the vessel was trying to come about. The third craft that the Hawk had engaged was still in action and it had shot well ahead of the other vessels that surrounded Pedro and the Hawk. Pedro didn't know whether it would give chase to the San Fernando and the two ships with it or not, but he seriously doubted it. The three fleeing vessels were now but small dots on the horizon. The most likely situation would be for the vessel to come about so that it could join in the attack on the Madrid or for the ship to strike at the Hawk. For now it was too far away to be of any concern. To Pedro that second craft was his immediate concern.

"Bring us to the starboard," Pedro shouted to his helmsman as he pointed towards the ship that he wanted to confront, "and take us towards that craft. We need to cripple her."

Obediently the helmsman brought the Hawk over and pointed her bow towards the pirate vessel that was just starting to come about. As he did the bow chasers of the Hawk spoke once more. While the first shots fell short the second shots struck the pirate vessel hard before it could come completely about. The balls tore through the portside of the vessel and flew along the deck striking one of the vessel's cannon. The balls barrelled the gun over sending it crashing into the cannon next to it while killing its crew and injuring others. The third shot was away before the craft could even bring its bow chasers to bear. Again Henrique's gunners were on target and the balls flew along the other craft's centreline. Miraculously they both missed hitting anything until they ploughed into the aft-castle of the vessel. Then a wall of splinters sprayed the area as the balls smashed into the wooden structure. By then the Hawk was too close for the pirate ship to do much. The bow chasers on the vessel spat out their shot but both sailed over the bow of the Hawk to land harmlessly in the sea. After that the Hawk was slicing along the vessels starboard side tearing up the bank of oars there and bombarding the vessel with a steady broadside. Even as the crew of the pirate ship tried to counterattack, explosive orbs dropped down upon her main deck. At that point what resistance that had been there collapsed. As the Hawk continued on past the stricken vessel it left the other vessel adrift with its crew thrown into chaos and confusion.


"Get ready to grapple her," Bartholomew cried out to his detachment of troops.

The Cadiz had come about and was now slowly tacking back towards the pirate vessel that the Cadiz had just struck a few minutes ago. The ship had been crippled when its forward mast had been struck from the ship only to collapse upon the pirate vessel's main deck. The falling mast had torn through the sail behind it and it had smashed down on both guns and crew. At that moment most of the surviving pirates aboard the craft were struggling to clear the deck. Only those on the poop deck even noticed the large carrack bearing down on them and except for feeble cries to the pirate crew to hurry up there was nothing that they could do.

"Helmsman," Bartholomew shouted as the bow of the Cadiz came up upon the starboard stern quarter of the pirate vessel, "hard to port and take us along side."

The helmsman acknowledged the command immediately. As the Cadiz turned into the pirate vessel the sound of wood rubbing on wood filled the air. It was followed quickly by the cries of his deck crew as they lobbed over grapples in an attempt to grab hold of the pirate craft. Over those cries came the sound of musket shots ringing out.

Snipers on both vessels opened fire. Musket balls flew between both vessels and men shrieked in pain when they were struck. Bartholomew gasped with surprise as a ball slammed into a railing near where he was standing. Cursing aloud Bartholomew glanced about to see if he could spot the man who was shooting at him. He caught the glimpse of a man being flung backwards over on the pirate vessel. The man had been armed with a long musket and it was clear that the man had been aiming at him. The man now laid dead the result of Bartholomew's own snipers doing their duty. Satisfied Bartholomew turned his attention to the job at hand. He saw that the lines between the two craft had been secured and that his men were going over the side. It was time for him to join them.


As the Hawk shot passed the lead vessel in the pirate fleet her port guns spoke once more. The vessel, already stricken by the Hawk's previous assault shuddered under the pounding that she received. A cannonball smashed into the mizzenmast of the pirate vessel and the shot brought it down in a thundering crash. Men cried out in pain and others shrieked in horror. Then the Hawk was gone again.

"Bring us about," Pedro shouted to his helmsman once his ship was well free of the other vessels. "Turn us to port and head for the Madrid."

The Madrid was in trouble. She'd been cut off and grappled by the pirate vessel that it had gone up against. Worse the ship that the Hawk had shelled once but had left alone since that attack had come about once it had cleared the tangle of vessels and it had struck out immediately for the Madrid. The pirate vessel had attacked the large carrack astern with her bow chasers, while the Madrid's stern chasers had proved ineffectual. The vessel was now pounding at the Madrid's starboard side and Pedro knew that the vessel couldn't take much of a beating. While it had been repaired in Eko and Gwato, those repairs weren't enough to keep her afloat in a real battle. Pedro had to do something.

"Ishmael," Pedro called down to his captain of the guard as his helmsman responded to his command. Pedro had moved forward to the railing that separated the poop deck from the main deck of the Hawk. At his call Ishmael came out from under the overhang and looked up to see what Pedro wanted.

"My lord?" Ishmael said in reply to Pedro's cry.

"We're coming about and heading for the starboard side of the Madrid," Pedro shouted down to him. "The moment we come along side I want grappling hooks out and I want our men over onto the pirate ship. We'll storm them and then we'll cross the Madrid and take on the other craft. Get ready to move."

Seconds became minutes as the Hawk first swung away from the tangle of vessels locked in combat. As those seconds passed by the men of the Hawk waited and watched. Then the helmsman brought the Hawk about once more and her sails suddenly filled with wind once again. At that moment the ship leapt forward into the attack once more and the crew jumped into action.

"You men," Pedro shouted to the special weapons team, "head forward and prepare to clear that ship's deck with your weapons. When we come onto them, hit them hard so our men can grapple her without any resistance."

The men acknowledged Pedro's command and moved out immediately. Even as they ran forward on the main deck of the Hawk, the pirate vessel grew closer by the second. They just had time to prepare their weapons to launch the explosive orbs when the bow of the Hawk slipped along the starboard stern quarter of the other vessel. When that happened both sides opened fire.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.