Varna: The Grojan War Book Two - Cover

Varna: The Grojan War Book Two

Copyright© 2016 by C. Osborne Rapley

Chapter 4: Minara

Catana leant forward and pointed at the star map floating in the center of the control room. "I was told a few human ships were spotted there."

Varna walked around the map and tapped the tips of her fingers to her lips in thought. She looked across at the rest of the crew. "That's the Scorpious Sector, it is vast and deserted, if there are humans there then they would be difficult to find." She turned back to the map. "There's something about that sector." She spoke almost to herself.

"What?" Catana asked.

Varna blinked. "I beg your pardon, Catana?"

"You said there was something special about that area, I just wondered what?"

"I don't know, just a feeling that's all, perhaps we will find a lot of humans and make a fortune." Varna laughed. "Then we can all retire."

Theasa shuddered. "I wish we didn't have to cut their ears off. I hate that, especially the children."

"Don't be ridiculous Theasa!" Sisanna snapped. "They are just vermin, the fact they look a bit like us is irrelevant, just a coincidence."

"Leave her alone, Sisanna." Petara jumped to the younger woman's defense. "Not everyone enjoys the blood and gore like you."

Sisanna chuckled. "I tell you what; I'll cut the ears off the ones you kill for ten percent."

"I think you are horrible, Sisanna!" Theasa snapped back.

With a shrug of her shoulders Sisanna turned on her heels and walked out of the compartment. "I'll run some navigation simulations on the bridge."

Tears glistened in Theasa's eyes and one ran down her cheek. "I can understand why she failed the mating ritual, but why did I? I'm not at all like her!"

Petara shook her head. "Why do we have to put up with her, Varna?'

"Because she is unmatched in a fight, and with her as a member of the crew no one will ever take advantage of us. It's her reputation that protects us from the other bounty hunters and pirates out there. Her presence ensures we are left alone, respected, and no one would dare cheat us. In our profession she is worth a lot to us. She might not be the most likable of women but we need her."

"If you say so, Varna," Petara sighed. "You're the boss."

"Now the Scorpious Sector is vast, and the sighting of the humans will lose its relevance as time goes on. If they are confident they are not being followed then they will take short jumps and wait a day or two so their ships are charged and ensure the exit point is safe."

"We could cover more area if we teamed up with another ship," Catana suggested.

"You know that's a good idea, Catana, but we will have to get someone we can trust." Varna tapped her lips with her fingers for a few moments. "And I know just the person."

Two days later, Varna sat in the corner of a crowded bar situated in the outskirts of the main city on the rim planet Oragna. Sisanna sat next to her, glaring at everyone and baring her teeth if someone came too close. This was where Sisanna's reputation proved useful; the lowlifes avoided them and they were treated with respect and fear. Varna sat watching for Minara, paying no one else any heed, she didn't have to not with Sisanna at her side.

She wondered where they would be now if she had not pushed Minara away. They had gone through basic army training together and were posted to the same unit. She and Minara had survived most of the war, their friendship intact until the fateful incident with the human. Varna felt her traitorous body warm at the memory. Minara had noticed something was wrong and would have soon sensed she was in the initial stages of bonding. It would have been a disaster, especially as Varna had no defense, no excuse; she had started to bond with a human. Varna gritted her teeth and shuddered.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.