Eden on the Rails - Cover

Eden on the Rails

Copyright© 2015 by Gordon Johnson

Chapter 21

Tracklaying supervisor Gerald Kreusch had heard that the cable car transport was operational and wanted some answers about the rail tracks. He contacted Peter Parker.

"Mr Parker, this is Gerald Kreusch, tracklaying supervisor. I would like to get started on laying track on the other side of the mountain, now that the cable car system is in use. Can you do anything to expedite this?"

"I can certainly look into it, Gerald. What do you need to get up and running?

"A number of things, Mr Parker. First, we need a surveyor to lay out a line for the track. Then we need supplies of material for the trackbed, and of course help with bridging any streams or defiles in the ground. We also need to be able to cut through physical obstacles to a level track, such as rock outcrops and thick forest.

"Once we have a trackbed laid down, we need the sections of rail track; hopefully provided as complete sections of track, as that is easier to install than as separate parts – rails and crossties.

"I know it sounds a lot - and it is – but when the tunnel is complete, everyone from the Governor down will want to see track leading off from the tunnel, so that people have somewhere they can travel to before stepping down onto virgin soil. At the very least, foresters will need access, to see about which trees need to be felled and what should be left undisturbed."

Peter saw the logic to this request, and said so.

"I agree with you, Gerald. Leave me to try and get some action for you, as soon as possible. It may take a day or two to get the logistics arranged, so don't fret for a few days. Okay?"

"Okay, Mr Parker. I am relying on you, for the good of the colony."

Peter at once realised that providing the materials for this job was one which only The Personalia were in a position to help with, but the surveyor was a task he could handle immediately. There were two surveyors in the colony, currently working on the settlement extensions for more houses and streets. He suspected that one at least would be bored enough to jump at laying out a railroad in virgin ground. He sent a brief request to both of them, asking who might be interested in the daunting task. He ended by promising two armed guards for protection in the "uncharted" lands. He would tell them about The Personalia's mapping later.

Surprisingly, both men volunteered. Peter spoke to them together.

"Gents, if you can both participate in this venture, that would be great, as we can get the job done faster; but what about your current duties?"

Paul and Raoul both insisted they had assistants who could cope with most of the requirements for the time being. Paul declared, "Most of our work is of a routine nature, so our assistants know what to do, and how to do it. I don't know about Raoul, but I have been feeling down, about not using my knowledge and experience to the full. This job is more exacting."

Raoul nodded, saying, "I feel much the same. This rail track job looks like fun."

"Well, we have a good starting point for you fellows. The Personalia have imaged the whole surface of the planet, so you can have a vertical image of the entire enclave that we propose to settle. That will give you a chance to see what lines are possible. I understand that railway lines have to have a very small gradient, is that so?"

Raoul said, "Indeed so, Mr Parker. Do you have any LIDAR scans of the area, as that would be ideal for us?"

"LIDAR? Oh, I think I have heard of that: radar scanning of the contours?"

"That puts it simply, but yes. Do you have it?"

Peter paused, and picked up his phone.

"Honestly, I don't know. Let me ask the Governor." He phoned the Governor, who was in his office only metres away. "Governor? Peter Parker. Do we have a LIDAR scan of the enclave area? We do? Great. Uh-huh ... yes, sir."

He returned his attention to the two surveyors.

"Gentlemen, The Personalia did LIDAR scans some time ago, so they should be available on your phone. Just ring The Personalia, and ask for the LIDAR scans of the enclave, and it will be downloaded to you."

Paul intervened, "Fine. That is the first point dealt with. Now, clearing ground, and laying materials for a good roadbed for the track: what do we have in the way of scrapers, bulldozers, and crushed stone for ballast under the track?"

"Ah, there we have a problem," replied Peter. "The cable cars cannot carry heavy equipment over the mountain, and as far as the stone ballast is concerned, that would have to be located and prepared over there. We can speak to The Personalia about the equipment. Perhaps they can supply the vehicles from Earth. If I give you the number, perhaps you can ask them about that."

The two men agreed to do so, and Peter reported to the Governor about the arrangement he had made with the surveyors. John was quick to ask, "Did you promise them protection from the local animals?"

"Yes, sir. Two armed guards to go with them, I said."

"Peter, that is admirable, but can you make that two armed guards for EACH, as they may very well be working separately?"

"Oh, yes, of course. That was what I was thinking when I was expecting only one man. I shall ensure that each has two guards, prepared for anything."

"Thanks, Peter. Based on what Hubert reported about dangerous snakes, they should all have stout boots with high gaiters to protect their ankles and lower legs."

"Right. Got that. I will recommend tough trousers as well, in case of thorns on tall bushes; who knows where these surveyors will get to!"

The Personalia were not to surprised to get a call from the surveyors; having already worked out the logistics of laying track beyond the mountains.

"We understand your requirements. We ordered several machines from Earth a week ago, so we expect to pick up the pieces in the next day or so. The machines will be supplied as sections to be completed on New Eden. They are both too heavy and too bulky to fit into a standard Landership. We presume your engineers will be able to fit the sections together."

Raoul was glad to assent, "Yes, we have some competent guys that can do that. We just have to shift them to the enclave, where the sections will be delivered, I assume."

"You assume correctly, Raoul."

Raoul added a question, "Why can't you fit a machine into your Landerships? Don't you have various Landership designs for different applications?"

The Personalia voice sounded almost apologetic. "We have made several alterations recently. One was to provide some Landerships with extra fuel tanks to permit landing and take-off in one step. The other was to convert some Landerships into fuel tankers to extend the capabilities of standard Landerships.

"We have already had to strap some supplies to the outer hulls of Landerships, where the materials would not fit inside. Rail lines is an obvious example. Your excavation and earthmoving machines are another example, so we are redesigning our Landership design for a new marque with a higher lift capability. These Landerships will have a greater lifting body shape, becoming more triangular; and taller as well, to enable a cargo compartment of greater dimensions in length and height, with opening ports to enable such equipment to be inserted. This has necessitated another redesign for the closures of these ports, so that inevitable pressures inwards and outwards will not warp the doors. The greater mass involved has been factored into our calculations, to ensure that the Landership can still function well.

"It will be another few months before the first of these higher-capacity Landerships are ready for operation, so please be patient."

Paul put in his own idea. "Personalia, will your new ships be able to transport high-value timber logs, or at least high quality planks?"

"Yes. That was our thought. Sawn planks tend to be higher value commodities than uncut timber, so we would expect to obtain cargos from your sawmill for selling on Earth or Rehome."

"Can we get back to the rail lines? Where can we get ballast?"

"There are a number of scree slopes on the side of the mountains. Some of these can be sorted into graded sizes. We can configure nanos to shape stones into suitable sizes for your purposes."

"Please be careful. We don't want rounded stones. Angular stones lock together much better, for rail bed use."

"Ah, yes. This is a mathematical specification that we can adhere to. We are aware that large concrete blocks for coastal protection are manufactured into pointed shapes. We can produce the stones you require in similar shapes which will engage with each other, interlocking together."

"That sounds great! Can you do this for a range of sizes? Our trackbed requires different grades of stone, with the smallest sizes on the bottom."

"The specification you have described can be supplied, once we have selected a suitable scree slope. I presume you know where your tracks are going in the enclave?"

"It has not been exactly specified, as there is no delineated destination for a terminus. We have assumed a central route, or main line, with branches going off to the forests, to collect timber. We have also decided that eventually the enclave will be expanded as the population grows, so the central line will be calculated to go up to the border. There we will put in a turning loop as a temporary measure for a few years. The track laying gang are going to be busy for many months to come, it looks like."


Piotr arrived home from school with a question for his father, but had to wait until his Dad got home from work.

"Dad, I was asked at school today about the enclave. Some people want to know when families can start moving into that area, now that it has been cleared of megabeasts and fenced off. They heard that the cable cars are now working, and that some people have been using them."

His father Aaron was unsure of the situation, and said so.

"Piotr, as far as I am aware, only Hubert Swanson has been travelling the cable cars, in the course of his work at the research station. I know there are plans for rail tracks from the tunnel into the enclave, so some other people will be using the cable cars to get there and back. However, I don't think it was expected that settlers would be going there, until the train tunnel was operational. The idea was that settlers would bring a lot of baggage with them – tools and equipment; tents to live in until a house was built, and some furniture – table and chairs for example. The cable cars are not designed for cargo, except for the logs carried between them."

Piotr was young enough not to be deterred by adult thinking. He made his own suggestion.

"Dad, I assume that logs only go one way: from the enclave to here, and then go back empty. Why not have containers that fit in the log-carrying area, and families could have that as a cargo compartment for all their gear?"

Aaron, open-mouthed, stared at his adopted son. He finally spoke.

"Piotr, you are a genius!"

Piotr was nonchalant. "Yes, Dad, but what about my suggestion?"

Aaron let loose a belly laugh. "You are really great, my son! So very HUMAN, I have to say. Your idea is tremendous: Simple, sensible, and obvious once you think about it – and no-one has, until now. I must pass this on immediately."

He got out his phone, then looked at the time. "Damn. Most these people will have left work by now. Only the Governor is contactable outside office hours. Oh, well, I hope I don't get a telling-off for this call."

He pressed the icon for the Governor.

"John Wells here. Oh, it's you, Aaron. What can I do for you?"

"Governor, it is what I can do for you! My son Piotr has just suggested that the log carrier between the cable cars could be used for cargo on the way back, instead of being empty. Families are asking about settling in the enclave, now that it is relatively safe, and Piotr suggested cargo compartments, for gear and equipment, to slot in to the log carrying frame. Brilliant idea, don't you think?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.