Eden on the Rails - Cover

Eden on the Rails

Copyright© 2015 by Gordon Johnson

Chapter 15

"I see. Go ahead, then."

"Piotr tells me that his pal's Dad – the name of the man is Hubert Swanson, by the way – it seems that he currently is a labourer on the rail track. He is a frustrated man, and takes out his aggression on everyone who has a better-paid job. He tells them that he is just as good as them, but they get better jobs because of their paper qualifications, not because they are better at their jobs. That doesn't endear him to his colleagues at work."

John nodded. "There is a certain degree of truth in what he says, Aaron, but it is not significant. Knowledge is valuable in any appointment. Do go on."

"Piotr wondered why the man was so frustrated – my boy is clever, you see, Governor – and it turned out that Hubert always wanted to be a zoo keeper, but the few zoos that exist on Earth demand academic qualifications what Hubert didn't have. Hubert just wanted to be able to look after the animals, thus his contempt for academia.

"With this talk of a research station, Piotr suggested that looking after the animals being studied was the next best thing to a zoo keeper, so might be a job Hubert could be happy doing, and at the same time remove a cause of bad feeling in the Colony. I thought Piotr was on the ball there, but it is up to you to consider the facts by yourself, and possibly interview the man."

"Hmmm. I see your point, Aaron, and as it is Piotr's initial idea, I would love to be able to act on his hunch. I shall see about speaking to this man, and let you know how it pans out.

"Thank you for being candid about this, Aaron, and I shall respect Piotr's privacy in the matter."

Once Aaron had left, John called in Peter Parker, his Admin head.

"Peter, there is a man, by the name of Hubert Swanson, who is a labourer on the track laying team. I need to know more about him. Can you have a quiet word with his team supervisor, not mentioning me. Ask what the man is like to work with, and what he thinks about the man and his abilities."

Curious, but carefully blank-faced, Peter responded, "At once, Governor. When do you need the answers?"

"As soon as is convenient, Peter. It is not urgent, but I have something in mind and this man might play a part in it."

"I see", said Peter, not seeing at all. "I'll get it done today, then." He waited to see if John would add anything more, but the Governor was silent. Peter left, his curiosity unsatisfied.

He reported that afternoon, in the Governor's office.

"That man you were enquiring about, sir? His supervisor was not sure what to say at first. I wondered why. Eventually he told me that the man has a strong work ethic, but has a chip on his shoulder about people with academic qualifications. He causes minor problems with his attitude, but the supervisor is convinced that if the man could drop his moaning, he would be a good worker at whatever he puts his mind to.

The Supervisor wanted to know why I was asking, but I simply said it was a remark that had been made about Hubert, and we were checking him out. I thanked the Supervisor for his help, and congratulated him and his team for their excellent performance with the track laying."

"Well done, Peter. That was a nice touch, and well deserved. They HAVE done a good job. Are they working on the spur to the cable terminus now?"

"Almost complete, sir. Once the set of points had been installed, the rest was easy, he said. The had to cut through the existing rails to make the gap for the points to be inserted, and fortunately a suitable set of points was available. Two opposing sets had been delivered for use at the loop within the tunnel, so one of these was used and a replacement is on order for when it is needed."

John was pleased. "Nice to see initiative, isn't it, Peter?"

"It is, sir. I have put a mark of approval into the Supervisor's file."

"The sort of action I would expect from you, Peter. Now, how do I get to interview this man, Hubert, without scaring him off?"

"Sir, does he know your face?"

"He might do, if he looked at the colony news and saw me with Gloria and Penny; though of course he would have been looking at the girls, not at me!"

"Then how about getting Aaron Yakovlev to do the interview, and you could be in the background, chipping in if necessary?"

John was suddenly aware that he had not told Peter that Aaron had anything to do with what he was planning. He demanded, "Peter, have you been making two and two equal five?"

Peter smiled innocently. "Sir, I was merely being efficient, and noting who you have been speaking to in private in recent days. Aaron was unusual enough to be a valid assumption here, though your intentions are still not clear to me."

"Okay, Peter, I give in. For your information, Aaron has suggested the need for a research station to find out more about the animals and plants inside the enclave we have fenced off. All the adult megabeasts have been removed, but eggs in nests have hatched, thus immature beasts remain. Aaron has been tasked with trying to identify which animals are dangerous, and which not. That turned out to be more problematical than at first thought, thus the research station, where animals can be observed and more in-depth studies made.

Our man, Hubert, has been suggested as a likely candidate for the job of caring for the animals in captivity. The background story is that he always wanted to be a zoo keeper, and this is very like that post. If he has the talents, we could perhaps use him.

"Before we get to the interview stage, please check our database for any other possible candidate. The station will also need a professional staff - a biologist, botanist, and probably an environmentalist too. Get me some names as possibles, Peter, will you?"

Aaron readily agreed to be front man for the job interview, as he did not know Hubert Swanson apart from the youngsters' stories. He phoned Hubert at lunchtime, and asked if he could attend a job interview at the Colony's admin offices at four p.m. Aaron had cleared it with the Supervisor in advance.

"What's it about, this job?"

"It has to do with caring for wild animals, Hubert. There was something in your records about an interest in animals, so we thought of you. Your supervisor says you can have the time off to get here for four. Are you up for the challenge? My name's Aaron, by the way."

"I suppose I can make it. You can't tell me more in advance?"

"Sorry, Hubert. It is my lunch time as well as yours, so time is a-wasting, old son. See you at four? Just tell the staff your name when you arrive at Admin."

"All right. See you then."

At four p.m. Hubert was there, and was shown into an office where Aaron was waiting. Aaron got up and welcomed Hubert with a handshake.

"Nice to see you could make it. A colleague may join us later, if he can make it. In the meantime, let me tell you about the job we are proposing. It does not exist at present, so if you get the job, it will be up to you to make it a success."

"I can do that, Aaron. I have capabilities, I have."

"Fine. Let me get down to the details. We are proposing to set up a research station beyond the mountains, to study the local plants and animals. Note, NOT the mega beasts! We want to learn about everything that lives there of a more manageable size, without getting ourselves killed, so The Personalia will stun each animal and transport it to a cage in the research station. There, it will be studied then placed in a larger cage, so that its overall behaviour can be studied. If it is a social animal, this might mean a much larger enclosure with an entire family of the species.

"It is probably more like a zoo than anything else, Hubert."

The man's eyes lit up, and he paid close attention.

"Now, Hubert, we will have professional researchers to study the animals in detail, but we have to make sure the animals don't just up and die on us. We need a practical man who cares about animals, to look after them. He will make sure they get the correct food and water, the correct environment to live in – some may need a pool of water to bathe in, for example. This man will have to become an expert in the lives of native animals, so he is a very important part of the station, but we don't want a pure academic. We need a hands-on man who will be observant and careful. We expect him to be able to pass on to the academics his observations about what and how they eat, their social organisation, their hunting tactics for prey, or their methods of avoiding predation.

"You see what I mean, Hubert? The man who does this job will be important to the success of the station. I understand you have a concern for animals and their care, so that is why we are considering you for this post.

"It is up to you to convince me, us, that you are the man for the job."

Hubert thought carefully before replying, and just as Aaron was going to say something more, came out with:

"I AM the man you need, Mr ... Aaron. I have always had a hankering for working in a zoo, where I could display my talents in caring for wild animals. I have read up on all the wild animals of Earth. I have a collection of vids of animals in the wild. I was disappointed at the shortage of wild animals on Rehome, and so New Eden appealed to me.

"The mega beasts were a shock: I wouldn't be able to cope with them, but smaller animals are my area of expertise. I would be fascinated to collect data about the animals of New Eden.

"I can be candid with you, Aaron, I hope. I don't enjoy my present work. It demeans my talents, but I had no options. There was no animal-centred job available, until now. If you give me this post, I will do a great job for you.

"I can't keep calling you Aaron. You must have a surname, surely."

At this point, John walked in. "Hi, Aaron. How are things going?"

Aaron said to him, "Going quite well, John. Oh, I should introduce you. Hubert, this is John. John, meet Hubert. Oh, and my surname is Yakovlev – quite a mouthful, I am afraid, that's why I prefer just Aaron."

Hubert frowned in thought. "The name is familiar ... yes, the alien boy in my son's class: Piotr. His surname is Yakovlev."

Aaron appeared to be surprised and delighted.

"You know my son Piotr? What a small world! I m so proud of Piotr. He is a clever boy, doing well in school. I hope your son is also doing well in his studies? What is his name?"

Hubert was taken aback at this revelation, and was a trifle flustered.

"My boy in Piotr's class is Graham. I think he is doing well. I haven't asked him recently."

"Hubert! It is essential to ask your boy how well he is doing at school, and give him praise for his achievements. That encourages him to do better. I have noticed how well Piotr has been doing since I began praising his work. He is doing even better than I expected. Being a Towatan in human society can't be easy, you know."

"Yes, I take your point. I will be more enthusiastic about Graham's work at school, Aaron. What about you, John? Are your kids doing well at school?"

"They are too young for school, Hubert. My youngest is only two years old. I have still to enjoy seeing my children start school. Did you like seeing yours start school?"

"It was a fun time, John, back on Rehome. I can guarantee that: the looks on their faces at the strange place they were having to go to! They were scared, but at the same time aware that everyone goes through this event, and they know that Mum and Dad want them to tackle it. You'll enjoy it. You seem a bit old for having a young family, John, if you don't mind me saying."

"I was a late starter, Hubert. I was nearly thirty before I met the girl of my dreams, and that was by accident. I am a happy man, these days. Did I hear Aaron talking about his new job?"

Aaron interrupted, "I haven't yet offered it to Hubert, John. I was getting him to sell himself to me for the job. You should have been here earlier."

"True. Sorry about that Aaron, I'll try not to let it happen again. Peter waylaid me about something else. Sorry about that, Hubert, if I messed things up for you."

"Oh, it's all right, John. I know I am the right man for the job. I just have to convince Aaron of it. We both have sons in the same class at school, it turns out. Amazing!"

John snorted his humour. "Not truly amazing, Hubert. We are a small community still, so that sort of coincidence is perfectly normal. Did Aaron tell you the job will be out beyond the mountains?"

"What? Out in the wilds? That was not made clear."

Aaron was not to be put off.

"John, don't confuse the man." He resumed facing Hubert, while John left the room, shaking his head.

"It is not what you think, Hubert. The Personalia are building a compound within a huge timber stockade, so there is plenty of protection. There is more danger from your caged animals than from those outside. You will know to be careful with the animals in your care, won't you?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.