Into It!, Book 2
Chapter 21

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

She stared at me. She slowly said, "Brad, it's good to see you. Isn't Karen with you?"

"No, Mother. We thought it would be better if this discussion took place just between you and me. However, I know how she feels and we are in complete agreement as to our position with regard to our relationship with you."

"I'm your mother. You have an individual relationship with me."

"It's true that you are my mother but my first and absolute priority is Karen. There are not now and never again will be any relationships with me that do not include her as an integral part."

I sighed, "Mother, to put it bluntly, it's time for you to get your head out of your ass. How are your country club friends treating you? Are they calling to take you to lunch or to the club?"

She shook her head. "No, Brad. They aren't, though I'm sure you know that."

"I had expected it, Mother. I never thought they were a caring group. You always seemed to be the one carrying them around and buying lunches. Are they even calling?"

"No."

"Is anyone calling?"

"Carol from Uncle Billy's has called twice. She doesn't ask any questions but just tells me that she cares and is praying for me. Your Aunt Barbara has called and listened to me. She has been sympathetic in a similar way."

She looked up from staring at her lap. "Brad, why would they even call? I have never treated Carol well and have even been cruel to Barbara."

"Mother, some people care about persons. Both are that way. So is my wife.

"Her roommate purchased some salacious swim suits from Wicked Weasel for her at my request. Without my knowledge, Nicki bought matching ones for me. At one of the lakes we visited in the RV, we wore them again. In the camp showers, a couple of mothers were troubled. Karen took me to talk to their children and to them. She didn't have to do that. It's just the kind of person she is. She cares about people.

"She didn't know that I had money until after agreeing to marry me. I even talked about selling my truck for living expenses. She objected saying she would get a job and that that truck was too important to sell. She said that we would manage. Only later did I tell her that I had money. I have done quite well with Grandfather's trust assets.

"If you depend upon money for friends and life, it can be gone and the friends will go, too. If you don't change, Dad will almost certainly divorce you. With the pre-nup, you won't have much and will need a job. Dad doesn't mind the trappings of riches but he could easily do without. Being in a marriage with a bitch who treats him and others badly is not something that he will allow to continue. You have chased off his children. I think that was the last straw."

She was crying. "I just wanted what was best for you."

"Mother, that's not true. You only approved of Jim because his family has money. His parents live very simply. They aren't members of a country club nor do they have servants. It's a small, but happy, house. Irene and he don't want a big, fancy wedding. You would have insisted on an elaborate affair with the reception at the country club. That would have nothing to do with their desires but with your desire for status.

"You don't like Tom because he isn't rich. His parents are middle class. I've met them. They are fine people. Tom cares deeply for Marianne and will see that she is happy. Marianne loves him and that makes Tom's task easier. She just wants him."

"She has been living with us rather than the dorm so far. I think she's ready to move over there now. Your rejection of her was hurtful. She still can't talk about it. However, she looks at that 'tiny' ring you denigrated and smiles. She knows that Tom struggled to get it for her and still pay for his college. Its value is not external but internal between them."

I stopped for a moment but then went on. "She and Irene were both hiding their engagements from you. It wasn't because they weren't proud of their men but knew they would be shamed by the reaction you would give them. They, of course, were right. You not only shamed them but sent them away from you.

"Now, you have two daughters, your only two daughters, who will marry and not even send you an invitation because they figure you will just tear it up and not show. Irene and Jim have planned their wedding without you to get the wedding they want and for which they have prayed. Marianne and Tom will have a small church wedding at his parents' church. She doesn't know it but I will fund it along with a honeymoon."

"You have worked very hard to cut your own parents and siblings from your life and from the lives of your husband and children. I have seen their hurt though they still talk about you fondly. I have been in touch with them for years. The only reason they didn't come to my wedding was to prevent 'you' from being unhappy. Karen has convinced them and received their commitments to come to Irene's and Marianne's weddings. Dad will be there. He wants to walk his daughters down the aisle even though he is figuring you won't be there.

"Mother, isn't it time to let go of your foolish pride and your quest for a status that is illusory? It's time to care about the people who should be closest to you."

She was sobbing now. "I just don't know how to get you back."

I took a deep breath. "I think you know but your pride is stopping you. However, I will say it so there is no mistake. It starts with saying you're sorry and then living in a loving manner. You have some bad habits that you must break. You will have to be strong enough to break them and be someone who people want to have around for who she is rather than for what she has. At this rate and in the direction you are going, you will have no one and nothing."

Finally, she looked up at me. She said, "I'm going to start with you, Brad. I haven't been a bad mother, I was worse. I didn't care about you except as a fashion accessory. I was proud of your grades because I could brag about you but not because of what you accomplished. You have been hugely successful almost despite me. You have good friends, the love of a beautiful wife, and your family loves and respects you. That's why you're here having this conversation with me. I apologize for the way I have treated you. I will strive to be the kind of mother of who you can be proud."

She took a deep breath. "Please call your father. Tell him that his wife has returned to her senses and would really love to have him back so she can be held by him while she apologizes to him. Now, I must talk to Malcolm and Miyuki, Morris and Anna. Anna has been so good for much too long without being appreciated by anyone but you and later by Karen."

She walked out of the den. I pulled my phone and called Karen first. "Hello, Love. Head this way as soon as you can. Bring Marianne. It's all good, it's all very good." Karen said that she would be on her way in moments.

I called Dad. "Dad, it's Brad. It's good. I'm at the house. Can you get here soon? It's time to come home."

He said, "I didn't know you were going to see her this early in the day. Yes, I'm at the office. I can be there within half an hour. Bye, Son, and thanks."

Mom had just returned to the den and sat down. I said, "Mom, go wash your face."

"Son, I owe people seeing me this way. They need to know that I'm serious."

"I understand but this person should see you cleaned up. You will sufficiently penitent. Trust me on this." She nodded and, without another word, went to the bathroom and returned moments later with her face freshly washed. I had to admit that my mother looked good despite her age and having had three children.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.