Into It!, Book 2 - Cover

Into It!, Book 2

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 1

I smiled. "I will still need frequent boosters to keep my protection up." We finished eating and went to the truck. I drove us to Uncle Billy's. The morning crew was there preparing for the day's business. They let us inside even though the place wasn't open yet.

Karen and I were greeted joyfully. A number of these people worked through supper. They sat Karen and me down at the usual table. Marianne was treated coolly though politely when they found out who she is.

Marianne said, "Why am I getting the chill?"

Karen said, "It's pretty well known here that Brad's family neither appreciates him nor this place. What would you expect?"

Uncle Billy's day manager came to our table and offered coffee. He apologized for not having any breakfast. Brad thanked him but explained that we had breakfast earlier though we were interested in coffee. Brad said, "Marianne wanted to come with us to find out about me. Give her a chance, please."

Barry said, "Well, you came to the right place, Marianne. Brad is well known and liked even more. I met Karen as I was heading home. She is delightful and makes a great cheerleader for our favorite sax player." He looked over at me. "Brad, the band is coming by around lunch to eat and practice. They will be glad to practice with you. I'll bring your coffee." He paused.

"Marianne, do you want coffee, too?"

"Please. May I help?" He nodded. They left.

Karen said, "Brad, I do need to talk to my mother. Do you mind?"

"No. I'm surprised you held out this long."

She smiled. "I was interested in watching Marianne's face this morning. Does Mom know about my ring?"

"Well, your dad knows so I guess she does, too."

"Brad, I don't know if he would keep a secret from her if asked. I hope we will treat each other that way." I nodded. She gave me a kiss and pulled her phone to make the call.

Barry and Marianne returned with coffee for all. She brought a tray with creamer and sugar for Karen. She was a little red faced. She sat down and said, "Brad, Barry knows how you take your coffee and I didn't. We brought the fixings for Karen. Neither of us knew how she wanted hers to be fixed."

I said, "She likes hers the same as mine." I passed a cup to her and received a smile in exchange. Unlike many people, she talked quietly into her phone.

Marianne said, "Next fall, I will be at college with you and Karen." I nodded. "Brad, will you let me be around you or will you ignore me?"

"Marianne, we will be around as much as you want us to be. Karen and I will be together as we work out the details of being married students. It's really up to you. I don't thrust myself upon people."

Karen had gotten off the phone. She grinned as she said, "No, you don't. Mom sends her love. You're right. She is checking dates and making lists. Everyone here at Uncle Billy's will be invited. She wants a list." I nodded and Barry grinned. "She wanted to know about your family. I wasn't sure what to say. Will your parents even come if invited? She wasn't sure if they should be invited to be involved because you've suggested that you didn't want them present."

Marianne's head popped up. I said, "Karen, we will talk to them this evening. I do not want their kind of involvement. Pick a number for a budget and I will write you a check. It's going to be our wedding and we will be involved with your parents in all the planning. My family will have no part in it other than attending if they can spare the time. They may have another business trip."

Marianne said, "May I participate, Brad? It's embarrassing when people at school talk about you and I just have to smile and nod because I don't know my older brother. I'm learning. Barry told me a lot while we were getting coffee. He helped you with the truck after I admitted that I hadn't ridden in it before this morning. There seems to be a lot about you that I didn't know."

I said, "Marianne, you may but don't go telling our parents."

Karen said, "Brad, give them a chance. There is always hope. You had to forgive me and did after I screwed up."

Marianne said, "What happened?"

Karen took a big gulp and said, "I put other persons' words in front of my feelings for and about Brad. I even walked away from him. I had to apologize and earn his trust back. The worst thing was that I knew I was making a mistake when I did it."

She grabbed my arm for a second. I smiled over at her. I said, "Karen, we'll go to the house this afternoon and make an effort. I really don't care about going to the country club tonight any more than you. There won't be anyone there who I want to show you off to. I don't need someone else's opinion that you are beautiful and smart. I know those things."

Karen just hugged my arm. We passed a comfortable morning. About eleven, the band members came in and we practiced for an hour. They regularly played together so practice was primarily a time to work up new material.

Mick asked, "Are you coming tonight?"

"Yeah. Karen and I must talk to my parents but we will be back for supper and the evening. Karen likes this place."

He grinned. "We like Karen. Now, we like her even more." He paused. "Who's the other girl?"

"That's my younger sister, Marianne. She got curious about me but not many people are telling her much. I don't know what she will want to do and whether or not my parents will let her loose even if she wants to come back."

Mick said, "She's nice looking when she smiles. What does Karen think of her?"

"Karen is a one-woman education committee. We'll see. I think Karen is grading her on how well she listens." Mick grinned at that.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.