The Hurricane of 2020 - Cover

The Hurricane of 2020

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 9

I smiled at Eve. "I'm hungry. Is there somewhere we can eat some lunch? I'm not used to working." Everyone laughed.

Joan said, "Eve, if you don't mind, I would like to join you and Mister Anderson. It would be interesting."

Eve smiled gently. "I have no objection. Bill?"

I smiled, too. "Only if she will call me Bill. I'm not that old!"

Joan smiled back. "I can do that, Bill."

We left and Eve used the limo to take us to a quiet place not far from the station where the studio was located. It served Thai. Eve said, "Bill, be a little careful. When it says hot, they are very serious. The most I do is medium." I nodded. We ordered including soup. As the meals were served, Joan watched me.

Finally, I said, "Joan, am I doing anything wrong or have something on my face or shirt?"

She blushed a bit. "No, Bill. It's just that Eve has been talking about you since she returned from the hurricane. I almost expect you to walk on water. I will admit that I was apprehensive about you handling the phone calls but you did that very well. Now, I do expect you to walk on water!"

I said, "Joan, I'm just an old guy who's had a lot of experience and is so old that he just won't waste time on fools willingly."

Eve said, "that's bull, Bill. You have a few years on you but the fine wine shows no signs of turning into vinegar. Joan has figured that out, too. Quit with the old guy. You are more fit than most men half your age and more sexy, too." Joan blushed. I know I did!

Eve continued, "My only real concern for us is that I'm too old to successfully keep up with you. Even Linda thinks you are a super man. Your grandchildren don't think you walk on water, they know you can and do." She grinned. "Both Linda and Sarah expressed worry to me that I might not be able to keep up with you. You got up early each morning and stayed up later than I all weekend. Then you drove up here.

"When I went with you after the hurricane, we went for eleven hours but you had already moved a fallen tree and pulled a bitchy woman from a wreck. Then you took on a stupid sheriff and faced him down. Bill, there are a lot of things in this world I will do. I will even take on hopeless quests if needed. However, I do not plan to challenge you. I know when I'm outclassed. It gives me confidence just to stand next to you."

Joan was staring at her boss with rapt eyes. After a few long moments, she said, "Bill, do you remember what you said about Joe and me acquiescing?" I nodded. "If you proposition me, mean it because I will say yes."

Eve smiled. "I will, too, Bill."

"I will keep that in mind though I wouldn't know how to go about doing that. You will both remember that Eve slept at another friend's home to maintain propriety. I've always thought words and actions are important windows into the soul."

Eve smiled. "I've seen those windows and looked inside. That's why I went back down there and invited you up here." That statement sort of ended the conversation since the meal was finished also. When Eve made to stand, I quickly stood and assisted her and then Joan though I don't think they physically needed it. Eve insisted on paying since we talked business. We went out to the limo and gave Joan a ride back to the studio so she could get her car.

Eve turned toward me in the seat and said, "Where to?"

"Where would you usually go, Eve?"

She smiled. "It's Monday. Usually I go back to the condo and exercise. I will go over notes for the week's programs."

"That sounds fine to me."

She slid the window and sent us back to the condo.

When we arrived, the driver came around and opened the door for us. We exited the car, Eve thanked the driver, and took my hand as we went into the building. We rode the elevator up to her floor and then went inside her unit. She closed the door behind us. She reached for me and pulled me tightly to her. We kissed for a long time.

Eve said, "That was a proposition." I said nothing. "Bill, I want more from you. I want to give you more."

I said, "Eve, we need to talk."

I pulled her to a couch and we sat down. She turned and straddled me letting her skirt rise over her hips to her waist! She grinned, "Okay. Talk."

I intelligently said, "Uh!" I didn't get another word because Eve kissed me again and I kissed her back, just being polite, of course. We finally broke off the kiss to breathe. I said, "Wow! That was eloquent. Seriously, Eve, I do want to talk and to talk about us and what that means.

"This situation is starting to escalate. Before it gets out of control, we need to talk about what 'us' means if it can mean anything. I don't deny that there is a strong attraction. That doesn't mean it will translate into a relationship.

"Your life is up here and in Nashville and in other large cities. My life is small town Alabama. I made my decision about where to live many, many years ago. You and Joan have been kind but I'm not young. I'm still trying to determine how we mix. It concerns me because I've come to care about you. I want the best for you. I have real doubts that I'm the person who can provide that for you."

I stopped talking because tears were slowly rolling down her cheeks. She had a sob in her voice as she said, "Bill, I'm not surprised by those words. I have been finding that a part of your allure is that you care about others. I'm not young either. I work hard on my looks and my workouts are designed to enhance my looks and youthful appeal. Bill, you've never asked and I know you never will but I'm forty-five for only another month. I'm no spring chicken and won't get younger. My biological clock ran out and I will never have children. I sacrificed that possibility to a career. So, I'm not that young.

"I also know you're not that old. Sarah and Linda both told me that you're fifty-seven. At our age, that is not a significant difference. So, no more talk about you being an old man. I can feel a part of you that is quite alive and likes our current position." She grinned at me.

I smiled back. "You are undeniably an attractive woman and I freely admit that I'm attracted to you. However, Eve, that's not a relationship." I grinned at her. "That would be having relations. I want more, or less."

"Bill, I want more. I want to talk about that. I don't want to talk about less. If we want it, there is a way to put an 'us' together. I believe thtere is some place for an 'us' to be viable."

"Eve, you're a dear, sexy lady. You're also a pretty big fish in a pretty big pond. I don't think my pond is big enough for you to swim in happily. I would be lost in yours."

"Bill, I need to give you a history of me lesson. You know where I am and some of the trip. However, I didn't just pop up as a TV host. I had to be born and that was a while ago.

"I was born in the Atlanta area ... We lived well outside the perimeter and my father drove in to work as a low-level manager in a plant on the outskirts. We can go by that house if you want. It's east of here out I-20.

My mother didn't work outside the house. My older brother and sister grew up and still live out there. Neither went to college nor were interested in going. I was the first in my family to go to college. I got a degree and became a nurse. I wound up going back and getting another in broadcast journalism and embarked on a career as a TV reporter at small television stations. I moved up to middle market and was 'discovered' by a station manager because I had good looks, a gift of gab, and willingness to work hard. He gave me a chance to host the morning news hour where I talked a lot and had people in to interview. I worked at it and did well. He was a good man and a good mentor to me. He encouraged me in my interviewing skills. After a while, I had a chance to move to a bigger market and he pushed me to take the leap. It went well and, a year later, I was started at a mid-morning talk show. It progressed from there because there was something about me that people liked and I was fortunate to pick and get good guests, particularly in that first year. Four years ago, I hired Richard as the manager for the show and he pushed me into the success that I have now with syndication and the changing locations. I went along with him because, like most people, he made me feel important and I did enjoy the work. I never ceased to think of it as work. It's not a calling. I've always been aware that it won't last forever and that it, the show, is bigger than I am or want to be.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.