The Hurricane of 2020 - Cover

The Hurricane of 2020

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 2

I walked into the EMA office and was quickly spotted by Charles. He said, "I'm glad you're here. I need someone mobile to check things out."

At that moment, Sheriff Jim came over two meters saying, "This is Sheriff Cooley. Who is on the air?"

One of the hams I knew said, "This is WB4MLR. Illegal station, clear the air. Only properly licensed amateurs may operate on this frequency. There is an emergency net operating on this repeater. You are interfering."

[Ed. note: I'm making up the calls and they may be real calls of hams since I'm not checking. Ignore them. It's just for the story.]

The Sheriff didn't give up easily. "This is Sheriff Jim Cooley. I demand that someone answer me. We have an emergency."

I took the mike and said, "This is WR4L. Illegal station, state your emergency."

"This is Sheriff Jim Cooley. I am at my Office and don't have communication with any of my cars Our radios and cell phones don't work."

"Sheriff Cooley, were you not offered assistance before the current situation? Were you warned about this issue?"

"Yes, but."

I waited for him to release the mike. "You have not stated an emergency reason to be on this frequency illegally. You are directed to get off the air with illegally obtained equipment. You might try talking to people at your local EMA office. WR4L clear."

Charles said, "You are enjoying this."

"He grabbed my truck. I warned him but he not only didn't listen, he was nasty about it."

Charles smiled, "We'll have to help you some. It won't be hard. Jim is not the most agreeable or popular person I know. I'm still not sure how he was elected."

I grinned. "Nothing lasts forever."

A couple of minutes later, Sheriff Jimmy came bustling into the EMA center. He said, "Who is in charge here?"

Charles walked over calmly and said, "I am, Jimmy. You know that. What's your problem? You've told everyone that you had no use for us. You attended no meetings to prepare, did you?"

"Uh, no. I didn't think it was needed."

"That's okay. Why are you here?"

"I can't contact my cars or anywhere from my office."

"That's unfortunate. You said you were certified and didn't need us. How's your cellphone doing?" He shook his head negatively. "Remember that backup location and radio setup that I tried to get you to join?" He nodded slowly. "The amateurs put it up and mounted the antennas and power. You refused to pay for any of the costs or to help. You wouldn't allow any radios for your uses to be placed there or here. That setup is working and they run it for me." He nodded slowly. Charles smiled. "To get any help at all, you will have to ask my communications expert, Bill Anderson." He pointed. Sheriff Jimmy's face went white. He knew he was in trouble now.

He walked over to me stiffly. "Bill," he started.

I interrupted. "Jimmy, where is my truck?"

"It is still in front of my office. The battery wore down."

I said, "It is an emergency communications vehicle. You need to go down there and get it jumped off and returned to me here. It had better crank later. In the meantime, I will use my 'expertise' to get some communications lined up for your cars You will have to operate from here." He hadn't moved. "Don't dally, Jimmy. I won't start until you go."

He didn't have a happy look but he left. I had prepared a radio for this purpose. I pulled it from a drawer. I connected it and tuned in the Sheriff's department frequency and called. I picked up four cars and wrote down their information. I told them that the Sheriff was on his way to the EMA center and would be on the air shortly. I went back to my two meter and picked up information from our net regarding issues that needed to be addressed. It would be nice to get the Sheriff's cars involved in our efforts. We were, on the whole, pretty well prepared since we had projected the damage based upon prior experience. The main problems we were experiencing were from power outages and from a few important downed towers. The main lines into the county were down but the power company was working on repairing them.

The Sheriff returned and handed me my keys. There was a slight smirk on his face. Charles gave me no time to think on it as he had four projects he wanted my eyes on immediately. I introduced the Sheriff to his new radio and left for my truck. When I reached it, I jumped into the driver's seat without looking. I realized that there was a scent in the air of the truck that wasn't mine. I looked over to my right.

She said, "Hello, Mister Anderson. I want to apologize and then help."

It was Miss Baylor. "What are you doing here? Didn't you find enough people at the Sheriff's office to genuflect to your awesomeness?"

She cringed. "I deserved that. I'm sorry for the way I treated you. I was distraught but that's no excuse. I truly regret it and would like to clear the slate with you. It's rare that I get called down as harshly and deserve it so completely. However, I was once a pretty good emergency room nurse even though I let my license lapse. I would like to help by going with you if you will permit it. I truly apologize for my actions."

"That's all right. I sure Richard would feel that you've now done enough to save face." I stopped as she started to cry.

Her voice was muffled by her hands to her face. "I don't blame you. I heard about you from one of the deputies. You stayed the course with your wife even after it was hopeless and were with her through the end. I understand. I wish I could get your forgiveness." She started to open the door.

I said, "Stop! You need to explain. I will listen."

She said, "Thank you." She was still crying. "Richard was my manager. He insisted that we shoot one last show in Destin and then make a run for Birmingham. I wanted to leave sooner but he controls, controlled, much of my on-air persona. I'm Eve Baylor. I even did a segment on your wife in May before she passed. She was a brave woman and drew strength from her husband. Mister Anderson, I really would like to get your forgiveness. It pains me to have someone see me in such a sorry light and never get a chance at redemption."

Although slowly, the light in my brain came on. Eve Baylor was the hostess of a talk show that was popular on TV. Jan had liked her show and I remembered now that she had been on it once. She had been proud of that fact. I said, "Miss Baylor, I honestly didn't know who you were. I am..."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.