Traitors Crown - Cover

Traitors Crown

Copyright© 2015 by Tamalain

Chapter 5

~Willow Wood~

At the market they waited politely for the merchant to finish his dickering with another customer, when a voice cried out, "SILOR!?"

He stiffened and his only thought was, "Oh not again." He spun around and saw a red headed hellcat charging him, her arms spread with a mile wide grin on her face. He braced for the coming impact but it never came. She had slowed and come a complete stop just before running into him.

"Silor, that is you, Silor?" she asked in an almost desperate little girl voice.

He slumped and saw no way around it, so he braced himself for the coming war of women. "Yes Tama, it's me, Silor," he sighed. "Before you try to climb up me, I want to introduce my intended," he went on quickly. He could feel Winter's glare on his back, never a good thing as far as he was concerned. She could give him a very literal hot seat if pissed. "Before you ask, Ginna kicked me out for not wanting you hunted and killed after the magic storm nearly wiped the city out."

"Silor, what are you talking about, yes I caused the storm, but I had no choice." Tamalain was now confused, no longer happy about this chance meeting. "Hunted and killed? Silor, what's going on, please tell me. She had turned on the faucets now and tears were streaming down her face.

Silor looked at Winter, imploring that she take over a try to explain events to Tamalain, and try to keep her from exploding when she learned several sad and deadly truths. He knew B'rill would try to stay clear at first, so he didn't try to drag him into the coming disaster. He needn't have worried though, B'rill had gone over to Han'Mere and they were having an animated discussion over events, then took off towards a pub.

Winter came and took the upset woman and left the market area for a nearby wooded park. Once seated, she began," Tama, there is much you have to know about before you talk to Silor again."

"Ok, best we both unload before we shock the men. Winter, what happened after the Bottomless sailed." She sat back on the padded bench and closed her eyes to listen.

"It was expected that final sea trail and drop mission would take about a month to complete. Well when the ship failed to return, Silor began making inquiries with the other ship captains. He was able to find out from one fisherman that a very large group of rocks dropped in around the area the Bottomless was to be in. Tama, it was thought then that you had perished, but Silor was not content to let it rest. He was able to determine that you lived, but not where you were at the time." She held up her now depleted necklace of tracking beads. "I did know you lived but was unaware of Silor's searching and inquiries.

"I was the only survivor after the close pass of the rock overhead, Winter. Then a massive wave hit the ship and destroyed it completely. I drifted for about half a day when the Far Journey picked me up and took me to the treaty Island of refuge. That was not a fun time for me. I kept crossing that thin line that is so hard to walk along and stay sane. I was there for over six months Winter. Then I had the misfortune of being shipwrecked a second time and ended up on Zek, and I needn't tell you about that. In fact you don't want to know.

"Don't be so sure of that Tama, I started actively monitoring after you had several close calls. The beads would let me know if you were in a life threatening condition. I brought it to the councils attention when I worked out that you had been captured and enslaved in the mines on Zek." Winter shifted uncomfortably at the memories of what B'rill had told them. "When you died when that monster ruptured your body, it nearly killed me when your bead turned white hot and left a molten pool in my granite desktop."

Tamalains eyes snapped open when she related the last, "How do you know about that Winter. I haven't even told my husband all the details of that event yet, how could you know?" She was sitting upright now and she stared into Winters eyes. Winter felt a shiver of fear run down her spine as Tamalains eyes were now showing a faint green glow and her hair had traceries of flame racing through it.

"Tama, stop please, all will be known in due course." Tamalain shook her head and the fear stopped. "As to how, you had an old friend watching over you. He couldn't do anything to help, but his observations made things clear later once he was able to report. I will not say who it was as yet. Now, we learned that you could no longer act as the gods feared, but you were still considered a threat to the Feydark Tama." Winter took a deep breath and went on, readying spells in her mind should she have to defend against the expected rage. "It was at my recommendation that you be killed should you ever attempt to return to the Feydark Tama."

Tamalain looked at her aghast for a few seconds then sighed. "It could be worse I guess. I don't plan on going back for a long, long time Winter. I want my child to be safe from the insanity and evil that is lurking in wait for me should I return. Now, tell me what happened to B'rill. I know he suffered a sad fate, but I want to know how it happened and where the whip came from."

Winter looked surprised, "How did you know about that? Those events happened after you sailed."

"You have your sources, I have mine." Tamalain stuck out her tongue at Winter in a rude gesture.

"Ok smarty pants, he ended up trapped in the old Drakota stasis field with the whip thanks to you. Actually, after you sailed, B'rill returned to teaching at Trueshot as the first year instructor for the combined schools. He was asked to review the personal effects of Jordan while there."

Tamalain interrupted, " He was my great uncle you know. His older brother was my grandfather."

"Really, well that is most interesting. As I was saying, B'rill found the whip and had his work cut out for him. The whip was evil, but not insane like the rest of the armor. That is still a mystery by the way. The armor shouldn't have gone mad the way it did with you being the owner." She paused at the look of bemusement on Tamalains face. "You figured out the cause, didn't you."

Tamalain just nodded in the affirmative and gestured for Winter to continue. "Well, he made it to the cliff face and stepped into the open chamber and was sealed away from time. He expected to be trapped in there for all time, at least that was the plan he laid out. Tama, you are a menace to all reality and the plans of gods and men. Your release of that energy wiped out all the active support spells in Kelethin. It took a week to get the elevators and water supplies working again. Some of those old spells are listed only in the archives." She glared at her old friend, "It also killed the old stasis field Tamalain Arrowmark. You released B'rill from his prison and freed the Dragon Spine Whip."

Tamalain was now struggling with her feelings, not of anger or rage, but regret and fear. "Who won Winter, which side won the fight that followed."

"What do you mean who won?"

"Who won, B'rill or the Feydark forces. Do you even have a home to go back too?"

With sudden understanding, Winter managed to suppress her laughter and go on. "No, it was nothing like that Tama, nothing at all. B'rill and the whip had it out and B'rill won the fight with the whip, and again all thanks to you."

"Me?"

"Yes you silly girl. Your storm weakened the power of the whip as well as everything else. He now commands a powerful weapon, maybe one of the most powerful in all of Norrath."

"Where is he now Winter. You can be sure that there are those that will want that for themselves."

Winter thought about giving her the next news first, but decided to hold off. "He is here in Willow Wood, with Silor and I. We were given the task of getting him out of Kelethin and the Feydark as quickly as possible, and we did. We also had the task of restoring the spire and Druid ring links with the Feydark. By the way, what the hell happened with the Zek Ring, it went totally dark."

"We had to shut it completely down in order to contain the Orc forces of General Irontalon. That small war was messy for both sides. It should be up soon now that I am off that choice piece of hell. When can I see B'rill, I miss that old grump."

"Only after I get introduced to that hunky looking guy you came in with, of course just to meet him, Silor and I are to be bonded on the morrow."

"That is wonderful Winter, he needs somebody like you to keep him out of trouble. That hunk as you put it is my husband, William Arrowline, and father of the child I now carry."

Winter was overjoyed with this news, She grabbed Tamalain into a hug, squealing in joy and excitement. "That is wonderful news Tama, married and a baby on the way. You have got to tell me the entire story on how you met, and when."

Tamalains eyes became distant and her expression hard, "We met in Hell Winter, we met in Hell." She was fingering her sword and twitching, the pain and anger, along with the fear she would fail and all of Norrath would die in her failure seemed to come back to her. "He had been a slave in the pit for several months already when I was captured due to my own carelessness. He helped me through the first couple of days Winter, then we almost died together when one of the Overseers tortured us nearly to death." She was shaking as the terror tried to overtake her, "It was on the fifth day, the death day Winter, I told him to be ready to take as many of the slaves as possible and get out, he would know when. He did it, he got them all out, every last living slave, he got them all out, and I died."

Winter had Tamalain in her arm as tears long repressed finally escaped. "He got them out, I killed every Orc in range, then stripped all the power metal out of the mine and threw it at Luclin, hoping I would hit that shadow bitch for letting this all happen in the first place. She caught it and stored it away, can't have it all I guess." Tamalain was still shaking, but not as badly as before. "I changed into energy, a silvery white form with emerald green eyes and flaming hair. I did all that then escaped myself." Now she chuckled at what came next. "I sealed the rip then used what power I had left to make it to the Greenhoods village, only I couldn't slowdown enough and overshot it. I skipped all the way across a rather large lake and ended up buried in the mud on a high embankment."

"How did you get out of that mess?"

"William and some others tracked me down and dug me out. It was while that was happening that I finally got a good look at his face. He was the man from my dreams as a child Winter. I told him that he was going to marry me whether he like it or not, he did." She sat back and wiped her face off, "Now, what else do you have to tell me that is going to set me off."

"The Thornbreaks are back."

The only reaction was the raising of eyebrows, "Just that, they came back?"

"No, not all, just one. Several years ago in fact it would seem. It was Ginna Tama, Ginna, Sailors wife. He didn't know until I told him a few months ago."

"Poor Silor, he didn't take that news well did he."

"No, he decided that he had had enough and wanted to leave the Feydark and let it all go to hell. He needn't have worried really. The Fey Queen handled the situation at the same time we were getting B'rill out of town."

"This sounds good, what did that little winged highbrow do to her?"

"She opened the Box Tama, she opened the Box. The one with the paddles made by the Green brothers. They are enchanted like you wouldn't believe as Ginna Thornbreak found out. The Queen was batting her spell attacks back at her with it. Then she blistered that girls butt like you wouldn't believe, Ginna couldn't sit for a week."

"I would loved to have seen that, but I was a bit busy then dealing with an Orc invasion right about then.

~William and Silor~

William walked over to Silor after the ladies went off to chat to see if Silor needed help. "You must be the famous Bard Silor I have heard tell of."

"All lies I am sure, knowing Tama as I do. And who might you be sir?"

"William Arrowline of the trade consortium and Husband of Tamalain Arrowmark." He held out his hand in further greetings. Silor took it and then shook vigorously.

"You married her, your sanity is in doubt. How did you meet her?"

"We met in Hell Silor, we met in Hell. William went to tell Silor what he knew about the night the world changed and how he ended up helping her when she was embedded in the muddy hillside. "So you see, she has always been searching for me, even though we had met years earlier."

"Maybe so, but Tama has always been a wildcat. Listen, she is being given some really nasty news about events about now, so you may want to be ready to help contain her if she blows up. Her power could take most of the city out is she goes ballistic."

"Silor, I know she has a temper, and I have seen her at her full power and lived. She is not of our world, she is a sort of goddess in mortal form, sent to live with us and do a job that the gods aren't able to do. Fear not though, she will keep it down."

"I am more worried how she will react to the whip being loose. That thing is worse than scary." Smiling and changing the subject, "Oh well, have you eaten yet today?"

"No, can't say that I have."

"Come on, there's a cook that sells some of the best greyleaf bread and mushroom stew I've ever tasted."

~B'rill and Han'Mere~

B'rill saw who it was that had entered the Willow Wood market with Tamalain and the other male. He walked over to his old friend and slapped his shoulder, "Well old caster, good to see you keeping our wayward child out of trouble."

"Trouble, I'll give you trouble you reprobate. B'rill, it's good to see you free from the stasis field. I would guess Tamalains magic hell storm did in that old spell."

"That it did, that it did."

"What about the whip, how did it fair?"

"It took a hit but has since recovered. I command it fully now. It is loyal to me and me alone. We are soul and life bound." B'rill carefully led Han'Mere off to the side and opened his cloak, showing the old mage the weapon.

Han'Mere did not try to touch it, but he did get down and look closely at it. He got a bit of a shock when the whip greeted him in his mind. "Ahh, one of the old friends from school. You have been heavy in his thoughts at times mage, but fear not, I will not go wild like the Armor did. It was not her fault either. She did tell you of the hitchhiker she picked up as a child."

Han'Mere was surprised, but answered, "Yes, she told me. In all actuality, it is better she doesn't have that suit and weapons. Her power is greater than the most powerful mortal already. Her children will all have the potential to be the same way."

The whip spat, "NO, only one will have that chance, but she will never use it as it is not her duty, only the one that follows will be the savior of the Norrath multi-verse. Ask me no more for I will not speak of this again."

Han'Mere stood up and looked at his friend, "Well, that sounded rather final now didn't it."

"Rather indeed, but it is like that at times. Let's go somewhere we can relax and catch up on events. The pub up the road has Elven Wine from before the fall if you can afford it."

Han'Mere had a sudden hopeful expression, "Is it the Pine and Willow? They are back in business, but the new vines just don't have the flavor of the old ones. Old man Pine said something about the ash changing the soil too much."

"Sadly no, not the drink of gods, but a close second, Green Saddles mark."

"I have the gold, let's get shit faced and talk."

They made it to the pub and settled in to drink away their mutual cares. They had just finished their first goblets when several young bard messengers came in at once. "Uh Oh," said B'rill. "That is never a good sign around here." He watched as they delivered notes to the off duty guard and freelancers. One spotted him and approached cautiously. "Sir, message from command point for all city guard and fighters. Eight pirate vessels have made landfall at the old ruins and they are pushing for the city gates. You are being requested to aid and assist sir ... Please?" The kid was scared to death of the Whip.

Han'Mere looked and shrugged, "Why not, I could use the exercise in casting. Should we get the kiddies?"

B'rill laughed, "Are you kidding, if we don't bring them along they will string us both up. Send reply to command. On my way, with the legion of death at my back."

The boy's face lightened, "Thank you sir. Good luck in the battle both of you." He ran off to his next contact, but almost every male and many females had already left to get ready to repel the pirates.

The two old teachers left the pub after seeing to the safe keeping of their bottle. Once out, they saw the four coming up the road towards them. Two looking pensive, the other two had the look of, here we go again. B'rill raised his voice, "To the bank now and suit up, we have pirates to kill!" The look on Tamalains face was glowing excitement, her hair and eyes flashing in and out of effect. She saw the sign up the street for the bank and took off at a full sprint. She made it to the door in seconds and disappeared inside.

Once in, she went straight to a glass panel on the back wall and put her hand on it. A portion of the wall vanished showing her private vault and she dashed through the opening, which quickly closed behind her. Once safely in her private vault, she opened the largest chest and was pleased that all her best gear was right were had she left it. She pulled out the repaired skin tight leather and set it aside. She then looked at the Raincaller Bow and saw that it was still set and ready to go. The spell had survived the storm and kept it that way. Her good enchanted swords seemed like they had just been put in so she set them aside for use as well.

She stripped her travel cloths off and wiped herself down with a soft towel. Then she applied a coating of powder to help prevent chafing and making the donning of the under suit that would prevent the her breast from moving and help keep her cool in the leathers. Next came the tight leather pants, a bit tighter than she recalled, but she knew she was changing to be able to carry a child to term for eighteen months. The boots came next; These had treads that prevented slipping in blood soaked fields as well as rain or snow. The top was next; It fit perfectly and really showed her figure to it's fullest effect. William was in for a quite a shock. The bracers came after that, covering her arms and acting to protect her from the bow slap.

She seated her full battle quiver on her back, locked in three poisons, set up a healing totem that would do repairs at high speed between fights, put on the swords, then the gloves, grabbed her bow and headed for the marked exit. The wall vanished and she stepped out into the bank. Eyes turned towards her, locked on, glazed and jaws dropped. "Now this is more like it," she thought happily on seeing the results.

The rest of the group came out of their private vaults a minute later. Winter in a bright yellow and green heavy padded robe, carrying a six foot long mages battle staff. Silor in full bard regalia tapping away already on his smaller drum. William was next, is Chain armor was a deep brown with grey striping. His sword was actually longer than he was tall, but he held it as if it had no weight at all, at least until he saw his wife. His jaw went to the floor, eyes glazed, sword dropping almost out of his hand at the sight she presented in a jet black cat suit. She turned on the hair effect full and the eyes without the fear effect, she was ready for war.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.